PDA

View Full Version : Help! The audale shop.....with the lock.

corpdog
13th Oct 2004, 15:29
The shop that originally has the boards in front of it until you kill jimmy the knife. Well I got the boards taken away, but now I can't figure out how to open the lock. The third combination just keeps fluctuating back and forth. It won't ever go all the way. Can someone give me a hand. Thanks.

baskaa
13th Oct 2004, 15:52
It's difficult to know what to tell you. If you've gotten to this point, you should know all there is to know about lockpicking.

I'm sure you know that the lockpick works when you put it in one of the cardinal positions (N, S, E, W) or the places between like NW. You can use the movement keys to do this as well as the mouse, many people find this much faster.

If you've read the hints between levels, you probably know that you can hit the Action key (left mouse button for me) to spin the gap in the tumbler once you've found the sweet spot.

If all else fails, there is a back door to that shop. You just need to figure out how to get over that fence at the nearby bridge.

Luck!

Ferrett
13th Oct 2004, 16:21
There are also "sweet spots" in non-cardinal locations. If you look at the tumbler circles and view it as a clock, you will also have tumblers at the 11 and 1 O'clock, 2 and 4 O'clock, 5 and 7 O'clock, and 8 and 10 O'clock pocitions. You just need to get the lockpicks in just the right location.
While you can hit the action (left-click) button on your mouse to speed the process up, you can also leave the lockpicks in the right location and you'll get the same result, it just won't happen as fast.

Hope that helps.

Underhill
13th Oct 2004, 18:18
A funny thing about the note is that it says the shop won't open if 'Jimmy the knife is still alive'. That would mean, if you don't kill him you can get inside by the back door and rob the place without the shopkeeper being there, which of course makes it much easier.

So the whole idea about that mission is to NOT kill Jimmy the knife, or have I got something wrong? I'd better play it again and don't kill him this time, to see if the shopkeeper is still around.

Sorry about your question, It might be a certain type of lock that Ferret mentioned, and the sweetspots are located in different places that you're used to (some locks are trickier than others, where the sweetspots are harder to find).