PDA

View Full Version : Laptops

brgmns
10th Oct 2004, 14:51
I am confused at to what some Eidos games (SSN and Thief so far) say "Laptops not supported" on the system requirements. Exactly what does this mean? I can run Doom 3 and the system I have is set up to be compatable with Quake 4 (someday when it's released) yet I can't play the Eidos games on it? Just wondering why SSN says that.

FYI I have an Alienware Area 51 extream M laptop.

3.4 Intel P4
512 MB RAM
ATI 9700 128M Video
CD/DVD/RW
60 Gig HD

Just wondering and looking for help.

Brgmns

d-2-502-101abn
10th Oct 2004, 17:05
SSN67 isn't the only computer product that says that. Laptop architecture varies in many ways from PC architecture. Not only the hardware, but the drivers used to provide the services.

Trying to support PC architecture is hard enough, without adding the support burden of laptops (which aren't designed for gaming in particular).

Will it run? Given your architecture, probably. Just don't expect any support if you can't get it to run.

Take point troop and don't get yourself waxed to the max. Geronimo. -- d2

brgmns
10th Oct 2004, 17:09
Thank you for the information. I know SSN isn't the only game that says that, Thief does also, but it seems the only games that I have seen that actualy say that are from eidos. Mabey they are just the only maker that is nice enough to let you know you wont get the support for a laptop. *shrug*

Thanks again.

jaywalker2309
10th Oct 2004, 20:54
As d-2-502-101abn pointed out there are many issues when it comes to laptops.

I have a Sony Vaio at home (am typing on it now) its got a fx5600 in it, 64meg dedicated. My CPU is a P4 2.8 gig with a gig of Ram. In a desktop i'd be expecting good performance, however in my laptop its only average if not poor.

Drivers are biggest issue. According to nvidia NONE of their official drivers work with the chipset i have. I have to find a 3rd party who has modified the inf files to enable me to update my drivers. According to Sony the driver i should be running is 45.43.. and how old is that?? ancient! :)

So yeh, laptops are still lagging behind desktops badly, and until they are on a par we will continue to not officially support them, and advise consumers as such. However this is what the forums are here for, you will find an answer to almost all answers on here.

richg67
12th Oct 2004, 11:16
This is a loose issue.
Not Supported only means they won't help you. There are laptops that can handle these games but they need to match the system requirements and there just aren't that many out there.

I'm thinking this Laptop (http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/1076707420.html) or
this (http://www.alienware.com/product_detail_pages/Area-51m/area-51m_features.aspx?SysCode=PC-LT-AREA51-M&SubCode=SKU-EXTREME) could handle it.

brgmns
12th Oct 2004, 21:25
I have the "this" one you posted the link to. I decided to buy SSN and it loaded and works perfect. Thanks for the information everyone. = )

Brgmns

richg67
13th Oct 2004, 08:48
Good to hear! CHEERS!:D

TheWatcher
14th Oct 2004, 21:34
Greetings from the LOK forums, boys! If you're looking for a way to mod desktop drivers, try here. (http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/) This may be old news for some of you, but it was a godsend for me in trying to get Doom3 running smooth on my Vaio Z1. You don't have to worry about a chipset not being supported, as you're modding desktop drivers. Heck, I got the Catalyst 4.9s to run on my 16 bit Mobility card!

rinaldi.16
24th Oct 2004, 20:27
Yeah, my Sony Vaio PCG-K23 runs this game slow and lagyy. My bigger problem is that this game is horrendously awful. Not only are the graphics cheesy, the gameplay boring, and the dialogue lame; but there is no online play which is what makes most PC games what they are. I am thoroughly disappointed with my purchase and only wish that I never opened the package so I can return it and get my money back. I've got a gross taste in my mouth now.

Awful, Awful game!

jaywalker2309
24th Oct 2004, 21:54
Originally posted by rinaldi.16
Yeah, my Sony Vaio PCG-K23 runs this game slow and lagyy. My bigger problem is that this game is horrendously awful. Not only are the graphics cheesy, the gameplay boring, and the dialogue lame; but there is no online play which is what makes most PC games what they are. I am thoroughly disappointed with my purchase and only wish that I never opened the package so I can return it and get my money back. I've got a gross taste in my mouth now.

Awful, Awful game!

Sorry to hear you having problems running the game, however i know the K23 has a very poor ATI integrated graphics chipset which wont do the game any justice.

As for lacking online functionality, not all games have to be online to be fun you know. Sometimes a dedicated offline game is what is needed. Some games have an online feature cos they think its needed, and its so poor and blatantly looks just bolted on that its not worth it.