PDA

View Full Version : Similar games

aok1
6th Oct 2004, 12:07
Does anyone know of any other games in the same genre to Thief 3 (i.e. heavily stealth orientated as opposed to kill everything in sight immediately) other than Thief 1 & 2 and Deus Ex?

Brother52
6th Oct 2004, 12:43
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but try the Hitman series, The game can be played in a total stealth mode in a similar way to the "ghosting" modes of play used by some Thief fans. Or you can just butcher everyone.

I like em.

tealsmith
6th Oct 2004, 13:34
The closest thing to Thief is Splinter Cell (which is in fact pretty much a ripoff of Thief, but in a modern setting). The Tenchu games are decent as well.

Guineapiggy
6th Oct 2004, 15:57
The classics that are Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exodus

aok1
6th Oct 2004, 16:34
Thanks for your help on this matter, what I forgot to mention is it has to be on PC.

Guineapiggy
6th Oct 2004, 16:57
The Abe series can be found on PC.

Flashart
6th Oct 2004, 19:23
"Hidden and Dangerous 2" and it's new expansion "Sabre Squadron".
Control up to 4 SAS soldiers through WWII missions, There's a lot of stealth, and some great gameplay. (Running around shooting everything won't get you very far). It's all about
planning and positioning. You can play 1st or 3rd person, or by a "paused" tactical map.
The control system is a little confusing, and the AI is occasionally goofy, but after a while you hardly notice.
The first mission in H+D2 is particularly brilliant, as are a few other missions.

WNxScythe
6th Oct 2004, 20:24
Splinter Cell is not a rip off. To me, it's a completely different game. I like both, but thief is much more immersive and more fun.

Tin Star
7th Oct 2004, 08:41
Originally posted by tealsmith
The closest thing to Thief is Splinter Cell (which is in fact pretty much a ripoff of Thief, but in a modern setting). The Tenchu games are decent as well.

Now Now lets not forget that Thief 3 ripped off a few things from Splinter Cell like the wall hug and the way the locks are picked on the doors.
I also like both games and think they are both worth playing,its like someone else said Splinter Cell is is just a more modern version and deals more so with under cover work then stealing loot and you don't need to buy your weapons,maps or other things to do your missions.

:cool: Tin Star

sesobebo
7th Oct 2004, 11:57
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43279

DreXor
8th Oct 2004, 03:17
Elder scrolls 3 : morrowind can be played as a thief as well, and great interactions all around, although you'll still need to whack critters for XP

Aditya
8th Oct 2004, 15:35
"Best games no one played!"

Beyond Good and Evil is one such gem.

There is lot of stealth in the later phase of the game and quite challenging as well. The game is very stylish,uses the same engine that of "Prince of Persia" (so looks fantastic). Dont get fooled by its cortoonish feel, the game is NOT for kids!

c6jones720
12th Oct 2004, 12:03
Im sure somebody mentioned that Enclave was simillar to Thief DS, maybe it was on a different post. I bought it the other day on the XBOX to give it a bash and sure enough, it does have several common features with the Thief series but it dosent play anywhere near as well as the first two Thief games...

ChangelingJane
13th Oct 2004, 02:18
Originally posted by DreXor
Elder scrolls 3 : morrowind can be played as a thief as well, and great interactions all around, although you'll still need to whack critters for XP

I found the thief gameplay in Morrowind to be severely lacking. Pickpocketing was too dangerous to attempt unless your skill was really high, sneaking around monsters was too difficult (no real shadows), and if you stole items from a shop you couldn't sell any items of that type at the store you stole it from.

ycdeo
17th Oct 2004, 14:24
well.....i would say enclave graphics was outstanding and you can play in 3rd person view. but still feeling giddy when playing enclave. but when playing thief ds, there was no giddy felt.thief ds is more outstanding though. :rolleyes:

c6jones720
18th Oct 2004, 08:37
Compared to Thief 1 2 or 3 Enclave is dire. Its annoying because apart from the thief series and some other gems, it seems to me that in the past 4 years or so games have really been going downhill. Apart from Thief 3, Halflife, Doom 3 and Rid**** all other games I've played recently have been very poor.