PDA

View Full Version : Game Problems

poogles_uk
5th Oct 2004, 18:00
My machine is a XP2800+ (2.083Ghz), NForce 2 Mobo, 1GB Ram, 50GB HD, Windows XP Pro, a Geforce 4 ti4200 AGP8x 128mb, so well above the min spec, and above the reccommended spec. But the game takes ages to load onto the menu (i have to press esc and enter to get it to load). The same happened after the training mission, where i believe there should be a cut scene of him with his 'fence'. Any ideas what the problem is?
Would upgrading it to a FX5200 256mb sort it out?

Quillan
5th Oct 2004, 18:23
I have no idea what could be causing that, but I doubt it's your video card. The truth is your current card is more powerful than an FX5200 would be, although it doesn't support the DirectX 9 shaders. The Ti4200 was the lowest of the performance cards in the Geforce 4 series, while the FX5200 is an entry level card. To get an equivalent you'd have to get something like an FX5700.

All that aside, a hang while loading sounds more like software related than hardware. I get a little pause when the loading screen appears on mine, before the progress bar actually shows anything, but it's usually only 2-3 seconds long.

And, just so you know, there was no cutscene between the training mission and the Rutherford Castle mission. It goes directly into the mission briefing.

poogles_uk
5th Oct 2004, 18:59
Ok, ive beenntold that the fx5200 was better than a 4200 the person had.

No the game seems to stop responding on the first loading. I have never got it to load by itself, its the same at the end of the training mission

Guineapiggy
5th Oct 2004, 19:55
The 5200 is barely better than the 4200 if at all dependant on what tests you believe and isn't worth the bother. As for the issue, it could be drivers, you could need to defrag or 1000 different things but I'd stick my neck out and say it sounds like a conflict with a backgroudn application.

chas
11th Oct 2004, 19:25
I had exactly the same problem, Just make sure that all your drivers are loaded for your motherboard - I tried reinstalling my graphics card tono avail, however after checking the system properties I found that some nforce2 drivers were missing - It's worth a try 'cos mines running beautifully now.:D

poogles_uk
17th Oct 2004, 18:59
Thief Problem solved. I have upgraded to 61.77 Graphics driver, and it works perfectly. I think i was on 61.74. But it works loads better, and the start loads fine. I have also upgraded the nforce 2 drivers