PDA

View Full Version : Is Thief 3 Really a Hog?

J_Fellenbaum
2nd Oct 2004, 02:57
I realize I' don't have that great of a system anymore. I'm trying to make it till next Summer to get a new system and for the most part it has been fine, even Doom 3 ran okay on my system. But Thief 3 just chokes. I've turned down all the in game video settings to the lowest level, but the game just seems super choppy and not smooth. I haven't checked to see what my FPS are, but I can't image they are higher than 25 or so.

Here's my system specs:

P4 1.8 GHz (400mhz FSB)
768MB of PC2100 DDR RAM
Audigy Platinum Sound Card
128MB Geforce FX 5200 w/ DirectX9b Installed. Running the Nvidia 61.77 Drivers.
Western Digital 7200RPM 80GB Hard Drive w/ 8MB cache

I have Vsync, AA, everything turned off on this Video Card, I just can't figure it out. Is it really that big of a hog, or are there configuration tweeks I am missing? I've tried to search some, but can't find anything that would or has helped.

TIA for any tips.

Jason Fellenbaum

Tin Star
2nd Oct 2004, 06:18
Originally posted by J_Fellenbaum
I realize I' don't have that great of a system anymore. I'm trying to make it till next Summer to get a new system and for the most part it has been fine, even Doom 3 ran okay on my system. But Thief 3 just chokes. I've turned down all the in game video settings to the lowest level, but the game just seems super choppy and not smooth. I haven't checked to see what my FPS are, but I can't image they are higher than 25 or so.

Here's my system specs:

P4 1.8 GHz (400mhz FSB)
768MB of PC2100 DDR RAM
Audigy Platinum Sound Card
128MB Geforce FX 5200 w/ DirectX9b Installed. Running the Nvidia 61.77 Drivers.
Western Digital 7200RPM 80GB Hard Drive w/ 8MB cache

I have Vsync, AA, everything turned off on this Video Card, I just can't figure it out. Is it really that big of a hog, or are there configuration tweeks I am missing? I've tried to search some, but can't find anything that would or has helped.

TIA for any tips.

Jason Fellenbaum

You need to update your video card to 56 point something,I didn't have to because it ran fine for me on my system.

:cool: Tin Star

Mr. Perfect
2nd Oct 2004, 20:56
It definetly is a hog. I'm runnning it on a 2600+ with a gig of ram and a Radeon 9800, and I generally run it at 800x600 with details set to whatever Thief deamed useable. It does okish at 1024x768, but AA isn't really an option at any resolution.

Many owners of the 5200 have made similar complaints though. That card definetly has trouble with this game. I dunno how much the rest of your system is holding it back, but you could always consider buying a new video card to tide you over. The 9600 XT and 5700 Ultra can probably be had for $150 or less by now, and I know the 9800 Pro are $190 or so. Or you could wait until the new midrange cards like the 6600GT are available for AGP, they have a list price of $200 and outperform even the 9800 XT.

Guineapiggy
3rd Oct 2004, 14:23
The 5200 doesn't just have trouble with Thief 3, it's simply a bad card. *Really* bad. Check the benchmark tests that pit it against a Geforce 4200 some time and notice how in some it barely beat it, in others it didn't. It's essentially an MX for the Geforce 5 series.

J_Fellenbaum
3rd Oct 2004, 14:57
Thanks, I knew the card wasn't that great - was only 20 bucks on ebay :) - but I figured it would manage like it did with Doom 3 and other newer games.

I'll just move up my summer pc bulid to a christmas pc bulid for myself :)

Thanks for the replies.

c6jones720
13th Oct 2004, 11:59
I feel ripped off too! I bought an nVidia FX5700 graphics card for about £130.00 just for playing Doom3 and Thief DS. Doom3 ran just fine but I can never play Thief3 in anything greater than 640X480. I thought an Athlon XP2000+ with 256Mb would be okay for that sort of thing. :(