PDA

View Full Version : ROME: TOTAL WAR and implications for I.G.

Czar
30th Sep 2004, 08:03
In many threads people raised issues an made comparisons to the TOTAL WAR series. Well, ROME: TOTAL WAR is out.

How many of you have R:TW and what do you think?
Good points?
Bad Points?
How do these things apply to Imperial Glory?
What can Imperial Glory do better?

For example:
In M:TW movement is to - from one province to the next in one step.
In R:TW movement is up to the player - including chosing the route. It is lots of little steps.
IMHO I would like something "half way".
Maybe this is already in IG?

Look at this:
http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/jsikking/Imperial%20Glory/Imgs/Screenshots/Imperial_screen016.JPG

Have a look at Gascony - controlled by France but note the 'little' armies to the north and south on the borders?

Does this mean that you can 'drag and drop' armies within a province to chose your ground? That would be excellent and a nice compromise.

R:TW allows you to fight anywhere - but you cannot inspect the field even when you have an army there UNLESS you go into battle. By then it is too late. I want to be able to inspect the ground my army stands on at any time (enemy or no enemy). Then I can make a choice on whether to stand or move on.

R:TW "Famous Battle Markers". Very Nice. But do not include numbers of men.
Maybe an option for the VICTOR to include a brief text note immediately following the battle would add some flavour?

Other thoughts? How to make Imperial Glory better based on lessons learned?

sick
30th Sep 2004, 09:10
Is the game out in Europe already? Most games hit the shelves two weeks after a game is released in Europe in my village. Doesn't surprise me, after all I'm living in the biggest bulb area of the world, and is easily overseen by those supplying the games to my local game retailer.:)
I will certainly try the game and give my opinion. I didn't like the demo really, but one of mates in the US said the demo doesn't give a good view of the full game at all.

Arctic_Wolf
30th Sep 2004, 21:31
The European release was the 29th, so Wednessday. Its now thursday and play.com have posted my copy. I should be able to comment on saturday.

I hate getting games from my local retailer, they're slow, over-expensive, they love orvercharging and hidden-fees plus their actual shop is, quite frankly, bull poo.

Mastalerz
1st Oct 2004, 00:45
I have both MTW and RTW. I like the movement system better in RTW, its more based off Age of Wonders if you have ever played that which is cool, adds almost a tactical/realism effect. For Instance I can pick my battleground in RTW by chooseing where I set my fort up, where I attack enemies, or where I lure enemies to attack me. The battleground changes based on where you fight on the map, such as if I attack an army in a area that was a forest in germany, the battleground will be a germanic forest which apropriate land elevation on the map or if I attack an army near a mountain range the battle will take place in a mountain range. This was better than mtw I think. It was more of an advanced way of traveling your military. RTW also had summers and winters which effected the terrain and how far your men could travel based on the conditions of the land. But based on the strategy map for this game it appears it will be drag and drop like MTW.

Champagne
1st Oct 2004, 01:59
people may not realize it but age of wonders is basically the same game as RTW. The only diference is, one is in roman times and one isnt.

Czar
1st Oct 2004, 06:20
Originally posted by Mastalerz
I have both MTW and RTW. I like the movement system better in RTW, its more based off Age of Wonders if you have ever played that which is cool, adds almost a tactical/realism effect. For Instance I can pick my battleground in RTW by chooseing where I set my fort up, where I attack enemies, or where I lure enemies to attack me...

Yes. So, based on this what sort of movement system would you like for Imperial Glory?

Exactly like RTW?

Mastalerz
1st Oct 2004, 19:22
Yes I like the way RTW is and it would be great if thats what it was like in IG, but unless they make a sudden change it will be just like MTW. The thing I like about RTW's system is the realism and the tactical part.

The_Russian_Rocket
1st Oct 2004, 19:59
Good points? TOTAL CONTROL

Bad Points? Running armies! ack stand and fight like men!

How do these things apply to Imperial Glory? ehh can't really say untill the game comes out.

What can Imperial Glory do better? Create a better system of gathering resources.

McLeod
3rd Oct 2004, 02:13
making ig too much like MTW wouldn't make sense, cause there is a mod for it: NTW, which plays also in this time.

Czar
3rd Oct 2004, 07:28
Originally posted by McLeod
making ig too much like MTW wouldn't make sense, cause there is a mod for it: NTW, which plays also in this time.

That's a good point. If it plays like MTW or RTW with early 19th Century Armies then it will not do well for that reason.:o

So, it needs to have a unique flavour.
IG does have Naval Battles...

RTW Generals give a rousing (and sometimes not so rousing!) speech at the start of battles.
Maybe in IG you could influence the contents of such a speech boosting your men's maoral if done properly?

The_Russian_Rocket
3rd Oct 2004, 12:44
Yes they were more formal back in those times I could see a speech in this game. Like if your general is one who is experienced and right with words and he gives a speech, which could boost morale. But if your general is a babbling idiot, the troops realize they are lead by a babbling idiot and this might lower morale.

Czar
4th Oct 2004, 13:07
Or a "Chins up Lads! they'll never break the 5th Yorkshire!" could inspire greatness or let the men in on the secret that they are doomed...:o :D

The_Russian_Rocket
4th Oct 2004, 23:48
Yes men they shall never take our homeland! Once we get gunpower and muskets we just might win!

Czar
15th Oct 2004, 00:58
Anyway, you've all had time for a look at RTW now...

What do you think?

I have no doubt that there will soon be a mod for Napoleonic Wars.

What are the implications for Imperial Glory.

Mary, Queen of Scots
29th Oct 2004, 23:24
Rousing speeches are great the first time, but really sickening the next thousand times.
The strategic map in RTW is really nice but there is no way to watch the action, either it is really slow or instant. MTW was great at allowing you to watch the other factions go at it but Rome sucks. Learn from this and have speed sliders any place that movement is happening.
A decent AI would be the one thing missing from Rome that we really need in Imperial Glory.
Don't lose the morale and exhaustion features of Total War games. This is one of the few items that keep battles somewhat realistic.
The ability to zoom in and watch the action from the perspective of any of your troops is going to be important to allow you to get an understanding of what it takes to stand there and have bullets and cannon balls whizzing by.
Don't cut out of battles to watch generals die, gates break, etc.. This really screws up the continuity of battles.

Spaghetti Hoops
10th Nov 2004, 10:55
I agree totaly with what was said about inspecting the battle field first before commiting your men to battle.This is very important for setting artillery as you know.As for the map,the RTW campaign map is excellent,you can even determine which direction your reinforcements arrive from! (Waterloo anyone?).
The seasonal thing doesnt work for me in RTW (you have summer and winter),Id prefer it if the IG year was split into the 4 seasons,as the campaign timeframe is shorter than RTW I think this would make sense anyway.