PDA

View Full Version : still no sound !!!!!

hollywood99
30th Sep 2004, 00:33
Hey folks i've been wondering when the fine folkes at Eidos were going to put out a patch for the sound problems?it's been frusterating and i can't understand why the issue hasn't been resolved. i'm an old and serious gamer and i know it's not something we can fix at home it's a compatability issue with the product.no driver updates is gonna fix the issue we need a patch
I love Eidos and have been buying their software for years i'd hate to think their not as loyal..

c how

jaywalker2309
30th Sep 2004, 18:20
Originally posted by hollywood99
Hey folks i've been wondering when the fine folkes at Eidos were going to put out a patch for the sound problems?it's been frusterating and i can't understand why the issue hasn't been resolved. i'm an old and serious gamer and i know it's not something we can fix at home it's a compatability issue with the product.no driver updates is gonna fix the issue we need a patch
I love Eidos and have been buying their software for years i'd hate to think their not as loyal..

c how

What sound card u running?

hollywood99
1st Oct 2004, 02:45

c how

hollywood99
1st Oct 2004, 02:50
i have the nvidia nforce built into my A7N8X-E motherboard which i find better than my audigy, so did all the updates and stiil nothing ,

ValkXB70
2nd Oct 2004, 00:28
Here (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45259) Still having the same problem. Still any help?

jaywalker2309
3rd Oct 2004, 19:37
i have the nvidia nforce built into my A7N8X-E motherboard which i find better than my audigy, so did all the updates and stiil nothing ,

Hmm we have one of those in the office which works fine.. hmmmmm..

what is the driver version number u running?

ValkXB70
4th Oct 2004, 00:57
nForce Audio: 29.14 (5.10.2914.0)
GeForce video: 61.77 (6.14.10.6177)

Taken from nvidia system utility.

I still have no sound from either the on-board or the audigy.

jaywalker2309
4th Oct 2004, 19:24
Originally posted by ValkXB70
nForce Audio: 29.14 (5.10.2914.0)
GeForce video: 61.77 (6.14.10.6177)

Taken from nvidia system utility.

I still have no sound from either the on-board or the audigy.

The game needs the sound software installed (its in the start menu/on the autorun) run this again, and see if it comes up with an errors.

ValkXB70
5th Oct 2004, 02:48
Do you mean the OpenAL.exe program?

If yes, I get this message:

"An NVIDIA audio driver upgrade is required before OpenAl can be installed. Please go to www.nvidia.com and download the latest driver for your audio hardware"

As I have said before the onboard sound is disabled, and I am using a creative labs Audigy 2.

jaywalker2309
5th Oct 2004, 08:55
Do you mean the OpenAL.exe program?

If yes, I get this message:

"An NVIDIA audio driver upgrade is required before OpenAl can be installed. Please go to www.nvidia.com and download the latest driver for your audio hardware"

As I have said before the onboard sound is disabled, and I am using a creative labs Audigy 2.

The installer is still seeing the onboard soundcard. Hmm

do a search in your windows folder (and sub folders) for openal32.dll - does it find one?

ValkXB70
5th Oct 2004, 11:28
I have the following:

nvopenal.dll in the system32 folder
openal.dll in the system32 folder
openal.dll in temp\CTZAPXX\drivers\common
openal.dll in temp\CTZAPXX\drivers\wdm\common

jaywalker2309
5th Oct 2004, 11:59
I have the following:

nvopenal.dll in the system32 folder
openal.dll in the system32 folder
openal.dll in temp\CTZAPXX\drivers\common
openal.dll in temp\CTZAPXX\drivers\wdm\common

Okay try this.

On the disc in the subfolders there is a file called openal32.dll Copy this into your windows\system32 folder..

ValkXB70
5th Oct 2004, 14:58
Ok I just tried that and still no dice. Get the same error message.

jaywalker2309
5th Oct 2004, 15:08
Ok I just tried that and still no dice. Get the same error message.

That wont help the installer, but should mean the file that gets installed is at least on your pc.

i take it the sound didn't work when u tried it

ValkXB70
6th Oct 2004, 01:31
Afraid not, still no sound.

richg67
11th Oct 2004, 13:10
Tried removing onboard sound drivers in safe mode??

ValkXB70
11th Oct 2004, 16:02
No I have not, but would that help? It is telling me I need the latest onboard drivers.

richg67
12th Oct 2004, 08:51
Sometimes drivers won't be seen that still reside. These can cause conflicts. Make a good note of what sound card drivers are in Device Manager and then boot in safe mode and look again. It would be a good idea to remove any EXTRA sound card drivers that show in safe mode and not in normal mode.

If you are still being asked to install the 'latest' then do so.
If you still have no sound then I would recommend removing the PCI card and go with the onboard for now untill the situation can be resolved.

ValkXB70
12th Oct 2004, 11:23
Thanks for the idea, but I have already downloaded the latest Nvidia soundrivers. Also I am not about to use the onboard Nvidia sound because thats the thing giving me the trouble. The game will not recognize my Audigy soundcard, or the fact that I have the latestr drivers for the onboard sound.

jaywalker2309
12th Oct 2004, 11:33
Try this (http://developer.creative.com/articles/article.asp?cat=1&sbcat=31&top=38&aid=46)

Go to the above link and download the latest version of openal.. See if that lets you install it ok..

Note - this is software we are not in control of, its Creative labs' software.

jaywalker2309
12th Oct 2004, 13:25
Just as another thing to check..

Under control panel go to the `Sounds and Multimedia` option.. and then the `audio` tab.

It lists the `Preferred` devices to be used for playback, recording etc.. Make sure these are set to the sound card you are wanting to use.

If this helps please tell me.

ValkXB70
12th Oct 2004, 13:26
Jay I will try that when I get home, thanks for all the help. I am not blaming Eidos about this mess, I know better than that. With computers, if you dont sacrifice the right chicken to the CPU gods, nothing works.:D

ValkXB70
12th Oct 2004, 19:36
Jay I tried running the latest OpenAl, and it still asked me to update my Nvidia drivers. Also I did check and it says something about "Windows RDP audio driver" and I have no clue what that is.

**EDIT: I think I found out what that driver is, because I am using remote desktop windows uses a built in driver so if I started an MP3 from home I could hear it at work. I will have to verify this driver from my system.**

cooljay1804
12th Oct 2004, 19:43
valXB70,

which download version of the nForce drivers are you using? I'm using the 5.10 and have no problem and they are version 6.14.442.30. Might want to upgrade to the 5.10. Make sure to UNINSTALL your previous nForce drivers before you install the new ones.

jaywalker2309
12th Oct 2004, 19:58
okay. am on my mobile at moment hehe. did you change your preferred device to your soundblaster card.

ValkXB70
13th Oct 2004, 02:31
Ok thanks again for all the help. I finally have it working but what a mess it was to get there.

1) I did check everything Jay mentioned, everything was good.
2) Got really mad, and yanked out the audigy
3) Downloaded and re-installed the Nvidia drivers
4) Did a system restore to correct a driver corruption
5) Got even madder
6) Tried to play SSNam67 after the system restore, and glorious sound was there
7) reinstalled Audigy and tried 2nd time, once more I can hear the birds singing
8) need more boom-boom chits :D

So there you have it, I think my computer was not installing the Nvidia drivers because it knew it did not need them. Once I pulled the audigy out and it needed the updated drivers everything was cool.

jaywalker2309
13th Oct 2004, 07:51
Ok thanks again for all the help. I finally have it working but what a mess it was to get there.

1) I did check everything Jay mentioned, everything was good.
2) Got really mad, and yanked out the audigy
3) Downloaded and re-installed the Nvidia drivers
4) Did a system restore to correct a driver corruption
5) Got even madder
6) Tried to play SSNam67 after the system restore, and glorious sound was there
7) reinstalled Audigy and tried 2nd time, once more I can hear the birds singing
8) need more boom-boom chits :D

So there you have it, I think my computer was not installing the Nvidia drivers because it knew it did not need them. Once I pulled the audigy out and it needed the updated drivers everything was cool.

Glad its working for ya :)

richg67
13th Oct 2004, 08:30
Good for you! :D

I had a time m'self once after reinstalling XP Pro. I had everything in order in the way of drivers but for some reason all sounds worked except for actual gunfire. There was background sounds which included gunfire but any guns around me (enemy or otherwise) including my own could not be heard.
I know what your thinking....eeeooooowWWEEEEEEeoooooooo.
SPOOKY!

It was a save game issue. I had 2 or more profiles at the same exact save point. They were clashing. I deleted all but my current profile and the sounds were fine.

:confused: