PDA

View Full Version : ATI Driver Problem -help

mccade
29th Sep 2004, 04:55
I love the Thief Series.

I have a Radeon 9800 Pro, which runs every game I've ever played smoothly.

With Thief 3 the game is unplayably choppy, like < 1 FPS.

I tried using a very old Caty driver, 4.4 and the game plays smooth as silk. Anything close to 4.6,4.7,4.8,4.9 and the newest drivers work great with all my games except Thief 3.

Does anyone have any ideas? This is really strange as the new drivers shouldn’t make the game unplayable. Is there a setting I'm missing? The new drivers work very well with every other game.

P2.8ghz
1g DDR 333mhz
ATI 9800 Pro 128m

Valzara
29th Sep 2004, 06:44
I use Omega Driver, the game run perfect for me.

Mr. Perfect
29th Sep 2004, 17:21
I've got the plain ol 9800, and the 4.8 Omega Drivers run Thief 3 nicely. AA is pretty much out of the question though, and 1024x768 feals laggy when there are numeous light scources, but 800x600 runs quite well.

What graphics settings are you using?

GandalftheGrey
29th Sep 2004, 20:13
is there somewhere in the setup where you need to enable hardward processing?? if so, perhaps you forgot this??

NCIceman
30th Sep 2004, 02:14
Ah, it sounds like you have run into the same issue I had with the 9700 Pro. Once they came out with the 4.6 and above drivers, I could no longer use anti-aliasing or the games built-in multisampling, especially with bloom turned on. With the 4.5 drivers at 1024 things could get a tad jerky but otherwise the game ran fine at 4x AA even with bloom turned on.

I don't know why these newer drivers broke this. I thought this issue was confined to the 9700 Pro, I am surprised to hear a 9800 user complain of this. But truth be told, the newer drivers are mostly for the newer cards, so except for some OpenGL gains running Doom 3 there's not much benefit to the newer drivers.

Alas, my ultimate solution was to go out and get the x800 XT, it runs the game fine, even with 6x AA cranked up, and I was overdue to upgrade anyway. If you can't afford or are unwilling to upgrade, you will have to settle for disabling AA in your driver before playing T:DS. It doesn't look quite as nice but is quite playable.

mccade
30th Sep 2004, 22:49
Thanks for the great info above. I've tested many drivers after 4.5 and all of them run Thief like a slideshow. I get amazing performance with 4.4s and 4.3s. The game runs like silk with 4x AA and 4x AF and everything set to high quality.

It's gotta be a driver bug IHMO since the old drivers work great.

Mr. Perfect
1st Oct 2004, 01:29
That's crazy... AA and AF are practicly worthless with these new drivers. Have you submited a report of some kind to the ATI Catalyst developers? Maybe they could fix our eyecandy!

Old Man
6th Nov 2004, 11:42
The weirdest thing. I've been banging away with the Catalyst drivers trying to get TDS to run better and also trying to get my TVOUT working properly. During this process I installed the 4.4 drivers followed fairly closely by installing the 4.10 drivers. Now I can crank TDS's MultiSampling all the way to 4 with no significant slow down in TDS. Before I installed the 4.10 drivers I couldn't use TDS's MultiSampling at all without the framerate problems others have mentioned. Dunno what this is but I'm keeping it like this. ATI AIW 9800 Pro, P4 3.2GHz. Oh, also all I ever did by way of preparation for installing Catalyst was remove all the existing ATI drivers via Control Panel Add / Remove Programs. I didn't bother cleaning with any third party utility. So, maybe there's a tag end of the 4.4 drivers still there that the 4.10 drivers are using? Plus I always overwrote when that option came up during installation.

Valzara
12th Nov 2004, 16:16
I'm using Omega for Catalyst 4.10, the game work perfectly for me.