PDA

View Full Version : BAH! The damn wire clawed, masked mobs in Cradle![Mild Spoilers]

Crinic
28th Sep 2004, 22:52
Ok ok -

I realize I am a thief, but I am a damn good asassin too (Garret). While in Cradle - I (cough) kept bumping into those damn iron masked, wire-bound clawed mobs. They were basically unavoidable as far as I was able to tell.

I tried pretty much everything in my meager arsenal - having run outa just about everything by the time I got trapped in that damn cursed burned out flesh-scorched smelling place. I did get the vial of blood down the sewer . . . thank the gods of thieves that I was able to right some wrongs done the orphans (see? I am not totally heartless).

So how do you kill them? Elemental arrows seem to bounce, dagger seems to bounce, I seem to bounce (chuckle) - and splat. BAH!!!

This has probably been asked before . . .

And while I am about it . . . what about the stone golems in the Library too? They must be of the same stock. Moss arrows seem to hold them up for a few seconds. Never tried a sap on one while it was petrified . . . I was too petrified and running away to attempt that feat.

tealsmith
28th Sep 2004, 22:57
For the Puppets in the Cradle, best bet is to avoid them. It's more then possible, you just have to put a little bit of effort into your stealth skills. Otherwise, you can kill them with fire arrows. Make sure to hit them from behind though, because it'll take quite a few and in the meantime they run right at you.

The Glyph Warriors can be taken out with a few fire arrows/mines easily.

theBlackman
28th Sep 2004, 23:15
Most beasties, can be taken out with a well-placed Fire Arrow, a Mine, and in many cases with Flashbombs.

Remember in this particular mission you can sneak past nearly all of them IF YOU TAKE YOUR TIME.

Example: When you first enter the INNER CRADLE from the portal in the PAST. In the second room, on the right sitting in a chair is a beastie.

If you hug the right, you can enter the shadows, move to the fireplace mantle to the Fireplace mantel, slip down the other side and move into the Hall of Records without disturbing him/it, at all.

Be stealthy. Not a single beastie in the Cradle that cannot be avoided with patience. That includes the ones that are directly blocking areas where you must go for special tasks.

PS. There is only ONE wire-masked inmate. Read the hospital logs, and you will know this.

Mr. Perfect
28th Sep 2004, 23:25
Two flash bombs takes one out, and a direct hit with Holy Water also takes them down(though I have had to use a flash bomb to finish one or two). Basicly, they're the same thing as the Zombies.

Personally, I nuke all the bastiges. I just dont' like the undead. Call me a Hammer if you will, but they're getting smote.

Guineapiggy
29th Sep 2004, 10:35
Oh they're easy to avoid you big wimp. :p

Unless you hadn't noitced, the lights flicker more and more as one gets close.

Mr. Perfect
29th Sep 2004, 17:23
The undead are most foul to us, they bear the mark of the trickster.:p

Crinic
29th Sep 2004, 21:47
OH Okay . . . Being a thief I was trying to take the easy way out and enjoy being lazy and accomplish the deed the easiest way possible.

It was amazing the amount of BLUE censorship that ocurred on the posts (including mine) . . . WOW! Musta been a Hammer - that read them first (laughs).

I guess I must hone my peek and sneak and pray to the darkone of thieves to get me by.

I read as much as possible . . . I know it is very necessary to follow the writtings of the insane, the innane and the occasional intelligent to get oneself through the world and accomplish one's goals.

Thank you to all the thieves that have survived. Happy pickings (chuckle)

theBlackman
3rd Oct 2004, 22:35
Originally posted by Crinic

It was amazing the amount of BLUE censorship that ocurred on the posts (including mine) . . . WOW! Musta been a Hammer - that read them first (laughs).

The SPOILERS you mention (censorship) is a courtesy to members who have not yet played that far into the game.

They will only get the information if they deliberately open the SPOILER. That way, they don't get the game spoiled for them by reading something before they really want to know.

The idea is to give the information to the person who asked without ruining the play for someone not yet at that part of the game, or ready to read it.

The posters do that themselves, if they are courteous, by using the SPOILER Button to post.

Please do so yourself when you post a solution or comment about portions of the game that give away the game play or answers to puzzles.

Thanks, your friendly moderator TBM

sesobebo
4th Oct 2004, 14:42
Originally posted by Crinic
They were basically unavoidable as far as I was able to tell.
Oh come on! There is like 5 of them in a whole map (; .

The_Insane
5th Oct 2004, 20:41
9 puppets, those poor guys...:(

Gillie
6th Oct 2004, 16:57
[QUOTE]Originally posted by theBlackman

PS. There is only ONE wire-masked inmate. Read the hospital logs, and you will know this.

I have been in this Cradle twice read every bit of paper,logs
I thought it was to do with. The cell No9 and the Tinderbox I can't put the two toghether, unlessNo 9,started the fire , and is the only wire man in the memories:confused: .
I read all the logs bits of paper came to the conclusion the rest were ghosts??:confused:

Guineapiggy
6th Oct 2004, 17:04
Erm... there's definitely more than one man.

Gillie
6th Oct 2004, 17:10
I counted all of them, Where they all real though. One in the memory like Lauryl??

theBlackman
6th Oct 2004, 18:25
There are GUARDS for the inmates. The "Wire caged man" is an INMATE. The face guard is to prevent him trying to eat people and himself.

There is only one "wire-caged" man, all the rest are attendants and guards or surgeons.

Crinic
6th Oct 2004, 18:31
Ok -

First to the monirator - Awesome for the spoiler cover. Never seen that before and I appreciate the idea. Makes one look at one's own honesty in playing a game (chuckle).

I am very new to this kinda game . . . meaning that trying to figure out "how many" pieces of paper clues and general "in your face clues" and other type of clues there are is very very new to me. Please don't get on me for not understanding or being able to thread all the information together - I had no idea Thief would be like that.

I like the game but find myself falling back to the Paladin mentality - draw a weapon and kill the barstard then loot it for items. (I sneak up behind it to do that first of course - definitely un-paladin like!).

This has caused me some end of trouble - - missing stuff that perhaps I should have been looking for, talking to someone vs figuring them for an enemy and killing them instead etc.

Anyway - will continue to enjoy coming here and attempting NOT to peel away the blue blankey offa the information (like a thief would (laugh)), and playing and playing and . . .

Ferrett
6th Oct 2004, 18:52
Ok, while it may be true that there is only one patient that is mentioned as requiring a wire mask, EVERY "puppet" in the present that resides in the inner cradle has a wire mask and cages over their hands and the Freddy Kreuger sweater. I believe that is where the cornfussion comes from. They all look exactly alike.

theBlackman
6th Oct 2004, 18:54
Crinic

No one is likely to "get in your face". Nearly every person new to the forum, and the game, has questions, and sometimes does not know about the "spoiler" and the reason for its being.

No harm, no foul.

Yeah. Thief is a new mindset in play. And, boring and time consuming as it gets, the player really does need to read all the books, scrolls, scraps of paper, and LISTEN to every conversation.

Clues are written, spoken, hidden behind the furniture, under the beds and scattered all over. So a slow methodical look around any area you are in is a big help.

Play away and if you get stuck HOLLER FOR HELP. Someone will answer. Just remember the new guy who doesn't want to know how the movie ends until he sees it himself, and tickle that spoiler button when you think it gives away too much. ;)

Welcome to the addicting world of THIEF. :D

Gillie
6th Oct 2004, 19:07
Originally posted by theBlackman
There are GUARDS for the inmates. The "Wire caged man" is an INMATE. The face guard is to prevent him trying to eat people and himself.

There is only one "wire-caged" man, all the rest are attendants and guards or surgeons.

Now I understand that??? could not find the log :rolleyes:

Gillie
6th Oct 2004, 20:10
Originally posted by Ferrett

Ok, while it may be true that there is only one patient that is mentioned as requiring a wire mask, EVERY "puppet" in the present that resides in the inner cradle has a wire mask and cages over their hands and the Freddy Kreuger sweater. I believe that is where the cornfussion comes from. They all look exactly alike.

That is why I was confused. It does not take much,to do that though :p

Valzara
7th Oct 2004, 16:36
I thought those zombie can be easily taken out by using holy water ?

Crinic
8th Oct 2004, 16:05
Heh!

A bit off subject at the last paragraph but in answer to the last question from the last answer to my post here.

Thanks for all the answers to the Who and Why All the Freddy Krugers running around the Cradle sugery etc. I wasn't gonna get close enough or stand around to admire the intricate weave of their sweaters (Bill Cosby sweater design or The Santa Clause). Whenever I do that I wind up having to run for dark corners (damn hard in that maze of slaming cage doors) or fighting with a very very short bladed dagger.

Anyhoo . . . no Holy Water does not work on them - have no Fire Arrows (bet it would take a damn close shot to work with even one of them. I do bet a mine would work MUHHahahaha!!! But am outa them too.

Here come the coat of fresh blue paint . . .

I (stupid me) finally discovered that flashbombs eliminate zombies and ghouls most satisfactorly!!! I spent a most careful time tiptoing around in the Absymal Gale the last round trying to find enough Holy Waters to not have to sneak everything around the undead . . . :rolleyes: . Not anymore . . . Flashbombs are cheap (comparatively) and I had 15 onboard from scattered gleanings anyway - most satisfying!!!

AACK!! Hey!! WATCH that blue splash! You'll get it on my handsome black nightstalkers outfit!! Geez! Who taught you how to use a paintbrush ;)