PDA

View Full Version : Why does my game want to install everytime I put the CD in?

cry4dawn
25th Sep 2004, 15:37
When I put my CD in everytime the game wants to install it. If I put the CD in it, and I click on play when it auto plays it says path cannot be found. So I have to goto start, programs and click on the icon for it and it takes 60 secs to check for the install everytime. It also makes a new desktop icon everytime it does this. I have it installed on my D: drive, which shouldnt matter. Someone please take a look at this issue

jaywalker2309
26th Sep 2004, 21:28
Originally posted by cry4dawn
When I put my CD in everytime the game wants to install it. If I put the CD in it, and I click on play when it auto plays it says path cannot be found. So I have to goto start, programs and click on the icon for it and it takes 60 secs to check for the install everytime. It also makes a new desktop icon everytime it does this. I have it installed on my D: drive, which shouldnt matter. Someone please take a look at this issue

Ok, am gonna guess you recently installed XP service pack 2..

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the game from scratch. I've not had any issue with SP2 on my xp machines here.

cry4dawn
26th Sep 2004, 23:13
Ummm That doesnt sound like an SP2 problem. It sounds like the game is having issues and think its not installed. For some reason its not seeing the path of the game. I doublt has anything to do with SP2 at all.

jaywalker2309
27th Sep 2004, 11:23
Ummm That doesnt sound like an SP2 problem. It sounds like the game is having issues and think its not installed. For some reason its not seeing the path of the game. I doublt has anything to do with SP2 at all.

But do you HAVE sp2 installed?

If you read the other posts about this they are all linked to sp2 and installing it after installing shelly..

d-2-502-101abn
27th Sep 2004, 13:31
The issue is not necessarily SP2 related. I have SP2 installed and it has not caused any problems with the installation or playing of SSNam67.

Take point troop and don't get yourself waxed to the max. Geronimo. -- d2

jaywalker2309
27th Sep 2004, 13:47
Originally posted by d-2-502-101abn
The issue is not necessarily SP2 related. I have SP2 installed and it has not caused any problems with the installation or playing of SSNam67.

but its only people with sp2 so far who HAVE had the issue.. its all down to when it was installed etc. trust us :)

i've got sp2 installed without any problems at all, but i had that installed before i installed ss

d-2-502-101abn
27th Sep 2004, 13:57
:) ... pointing to the entirety of SP2, however, is like a mechanic saying "something's wrong with your car" ... SP2 was over 80mb worth of fixes that covered everything from A to Z in the XP OS (well, maybe not Z); to begin the troubleshooting process, it might help the poster to check with the manufacturer of their DVD drive to see if there are updated drivers.

Secondly, are there any conflicting disk emulation or disk creation software packages installed?

Third, for the not-faint-at-heart -- computer-wise anyway -- look in the Windows registry in the Software hive and look for SSNam67's entries.

You get the idea ... another resource for people with such problems is to do the appropriate searches at Microsoft Developer Network (http://msdn.microsoft.com). Search the Knowledge Base, including the growing SP2-specific ones. There has never been a problem I have not eventually solved with Microsoft's Knowledge Base whitepapers or with the help of the forums there.

jaywalker2309
27th Sep 2004, 14:07
OR.. the simplest option.. fact that we've had a few people report the exact same issue, we've already done the leg work with them, the result of which was that sp2 installed after shellshock on a few machines appeared to delete the registry entries which pointed the shortcuts to the correct location.

solution - either reinstall game after uninstalling, or just use working shortcuts (if not wanting to go thru uninstall process)

I can go into the exact registry entries that are used as the developer and I came up with them to make the autorun work :)

d-2-502-101abn
27th Sep 2004, 14:10
:) ... I would heartily encourage you posting the hive entries. Just my morbid Microsoft curiosity at work I guess, lol.

cry4dawn
28th Sep 2004, 17:03
SP2 was installed day 1 it came out for everyone to download. This is the only problem I had have with SP2, if infact that is the issue. So no it wasnt installed after the game. It also had this problem from the very start. When I put the disc in it does bring up the autorun screen however when you click on play it says Invalid path. So if you goto start, programs and the game it seems to want to install the game but stops short of installing it after the 60 secs install check. It does however put an icon back on your desktop as well as new start menu folders everytime.

jaywalker2309
28th Sep 2004, 17:52
SP2 was installed day 1 it came out for everyone to download. This is the only problem I had have with SP2, if infact that is the issue. So no it wasnt installed after the game. It also had this problem from the very start. When I put the disc in it does bring up the autorun screen however when you click on play it says Invalid path. So if you goto start, programs and the game it seems to want to install the game but stops short of installing it after the 60 secs install check. It does however put an icon back on your desktop as well as new start menu folders everytime.

hmm thats a completely bizarre issue hehe. Not like the other probs we had with sp2.. hmmmmmm *ponders*

d-2-502-101abn
28th Sep 2004, 19:58
I installed with SP2 already running, so it is more than likely that SP2 (which is really a whole heap o' fixes) itself is not the problem.

I would suspect that the problem resides in the Windows registry (and not for the faint of heart to fix), with it not properly registering either the game or the pointer to the game's start directory. A re-installation of the game should fix that issue, unless you love to delve in the registry. A distant second choice would be a driver issue, but I would only include that possibliity if you are experiencing problems with other DVD-based applications on your system.

jaywalker2309
28th Sep 2004, 20:19
Originally posted by d-2-502-101abn
I installed with SP2 already running, so it is more than likely that SP2 (which is really a whole heap o' fixes) itself is not the problem.

I would suspect that the problem resides in the Windows registry (and not for the faint of heart to fix), with it not properly registering either the game or the pointer to the game's start directory. A re-installation of the game should fix that issue, unless you love to delve in the registry. A distant second choice would be a driver issue, but I would only include that possibliity if you are experiencing problems with other DVD-based applications on your system.

If the game wants to install everytime he puts the dvd in thats what confuses me, as the autorun points to the autorun program, not the setup program. So in theory autorun would just cause the autorun program to pop up everytime.. (this is taking the topic header literally)

If its a case that the autorun program always lists install even when the game is installed then yes it appears that the registry entry being created (and believe me its a simple one) which tells the autorun program if the game is installed (so says play instead of install) is not there.

Do you have full admin rights?

d-2-502-101abn
29th Sep 2004, 01:36
I agree overall, but I had intermittant Autorun issues with various game CDs pre-SP2. So go figure lol.

Can't imagine why there wouldn't be full admin rights if it is an XP system set up with the original default user. Although, to be honest, SP2 does do some hinky stuff with permissions for the sake of improving security, so there may be a valid point in that argument.

AgentOrange_section8
29th Sep 2004, 11:24
OKay this isnt about Shellshock but help

Ok so I have Battlefield Vietnam and everytime I try and play multiplayer it says "invalid CD key" so im like ****!!! so i Uninstall it..then i put the CD back in to re-install it right? Then it tells me the same exact thing! the path cannot be found blah blah blah so im like...what the ****!!! so i look through my files and delete all the folders and stuff that are still there then i go to Control panel and remove the program..and then i re-insert the disk and the same thing keeps happening...and when I put it in my Lap Top the "install wizard" pops up and i click cancel go to START an press programs go to EA an press BFV and it works?! an im like what the ****?? Its telling me to Install the game but i can play it on my Lap Top but on my regular CPU it wont let me even load up the Installation Wizard??

HELP!!!!! please?

LoL Thanks

peace,
-Justin

cry4dawn
3rd Oct 2004, 19:02
I have full admin rights. There is no login to my pc, its set for the highest admin rights. I dont have any restrictions.