PDA

View Full Version : C'Mon! Help a newbie out!

LewAlcindor
23rd Sep 2004, 21:10
I just started playing T3, and BOY am I having a hard time! I should probably say up front that I have never played any of the thief games. Up until now, I've stayed more with the Baldur's Gate/Neverwinter Nights type of games. But this game just looked so cool that I had to get it.

I am having a hard time with the controls. They are way more complicated than anything I've used before. Is there maybe a way to change the control keys, or even better, use a game pad?
If not, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

The biggest problem I've had so far is picking locks. (I know it must be simple to all of you-- man, is my face red! :o ) I read the instructions, but I think Garrett will be old and grey before he gets through that training mission! I DID manage to open one single tumbler, but I think I did that on ACCIDENT! Does anyone have a simple explaination for me?

I'd really like to get into enjoying this game!

kazcymru
23rd Sep 2004, 21:17
to pick locks move the mouse around it'll make a rattling noise when your in the right area then slowly keep moving the mouse until garretts right arm moves upwards, and you see a gap in the barrell then left click and it will spin around and then do the same for all the other barrell's. If your still having trouble (like i did when i first started), move the mouse out further across your mouse pad ( bigger circles ) cause that stick in the middle of the tumbler's should be lying flat. hope this helps

theBlackman
23rd Sep 2004, 21:29
Also you can use the W X A D keys and combinations of these (WA WD XA XD) to open the locks.

Watch the circles. When they start to twitch you are close to, if not in the right part to open that tumbler.

tealsmith
23rd Sep 2004, 21:57
As for the controls, you can change those right in the options menu like in most games.

Also, make sure to download the patch before playing too much, Absolutely essential. Otherwise, have a good time. Thief is a great series, and if you can get into it, I'm sure you'll agree.

theBlackman
23rd Sep 2004, 22:01
Originally posted by tealsmith
As for the controls, you can change those right in the options menu like in most games.

Except for the WALK RUN keys. These just don't want to take when you change them.

I've tried over and over to get the S to be walk, and the SHIFT W to be creep. No workie for me.

Quillan
24th Sep 2004, 04:35
The trick to lockpicking is that the view in the center of the screen is a distraction. Don't look at it. Look at the small diagram in the lower right hand corner. You will see a series of concentric circles, with a level in the center. Watch that lever as you move the mouse around. Imagine that in three dimensions; you have a rod attached in the center of the circles. You can move it around, but only from that point. Move the mouse so that rod extends out beyond the edge of the circles, then move the rod around to the various cardinal points (N,S,E,W and the in betweens). When a circle starts jiggling, stop moving the rod, and wait. The key spot is usually one of the 4 major points until late in the game, when it starts moving to the NE, NW, SE, SW points. Once a gap opens in a circle, just left click to finish and move on to the next tumbler.

LewAlcindor
24th Sep 2004, 12:17
Originally posted by Quillan
The trick to lockpicking is that the view in the center of the screen is a distraction. Don't look at it. Look at the small diagram in the lower right hand corner. You will see a series of concentric circles, with a level in the center. Watch that lever as you move the mouse around. Imagine that in three dimensions; you have a rod attached in the center of the circles. You can move it around, but only from that point. Move the mouse so that rod extends out beyond the edge of the circles, then move the rod around to the various cardinal points (N,S,E,W and the in betweens). When a circle starts jiggling, stop moving the rod, and wait. The key spot is usually one of the 4 major points until late in the game, when it starts moving to the NE, NW, SE, SW points. Once a gap opens in a circle, just left click to finish and move on to the next tumbler.

That's pretty much what I've been doing. But how long does it usually take you? I was under the impression that the tumblers would rotate either clockwise or counter until there was a gap. But they've been rotating in three dimensions (more like flipping). It will flip 180 degrees (whick takes a long time) and then kind of disappear. Then after a while it will come back. And I never get a gap in the tumbler. Am I just mentally challenged, or what??

Quillan
24th Sep 2004, 13:15
No, but I think you don't quite have the probe in the sweet spot, just close to it. When the probe gets close the tumbler starts to shake, but the gap won't appear until you get to just the right spot. I'm at work now; assuming I can possess myself with enough patience to NOT start playing Rome: Total War the moment I get home tonight, I'll fire up T3 and take a couple of screenshots to demonstrate what I mean.

Ferrett
24th Sep 2004, 14:01
Just as a sidenote, you can also left-click when you are in the sweet spot on the tumbler. You need to make sure that, even with the direction keys for lockpicking, there are still locks that can't be picked without some mouse-manipulation.

If you look at the tumbler screen like a clock-face, a lot of times, the sweet spots are at the 3,6,9, and 12 o'clock positions. in some of the really hard locks, the sweet spots are in the 5/7 or 11/1 o'clock positions, and there really is no easy way to get the picks into that position without moving the mouse into that area.

Hope that helps...

Underhill
24th Sep 2004, 14:17
You can also practise in your building, there's a practise lock in one of the rooms. A few shops sells them with variating difficulty, gold being the hardest.

My impression is that there's basically 4 sweetspots, in every direction. For instance hold the lockpick directly right, left, down or up. Then search around until the tumbler shakes the most, click the left mouse button and one of the barrels gets into place. Then continue with the next and so on.

One thing I found confusing is how to hold the lockpick, like in front or to the side. If you hold it directly in front, you can go on trying to pick the lock forever and nothing happens. Instead move the mouse until Garrets arm is completely extended and he holds it from the side.

Most often there's just the 4 directions but in some cases the sweetspot is located somewhere between the directions. Just move around the lockpick in every directions until it starts to shake.

I didn't thought it would be that important to lockpick fast until Shalebridge Cradle.:eek: That's one place you don't want to hestitate, believe me. In those situations I usually keep some weapons handy, to get some peace and quiet when I try to open a door. Well have fun learning this really cool feature of Thief.
:)

LewAlcindor
24th Sep 2004, 17:25
Thanks to everyone for their help. It's not so hard once you figure it out. I'm sure I'll need more help down the line, but thanks for everything!:D

ycdeo
1st Oct 2004, 14:28
well ...... i would say lock picking is indeed hard. There are different locks with different locked levels. Infact the lock-picking part is actually the greatest fun part of the game. Beware of guards around you when doing lock picking.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/ycdeo/number.gif

sesobebo
1st Oct 2004, 18:31
Originally posted by ycdeo
well ...... i would say lock picking is indeed hard. There are different locks with different locked levels. Infact the lock-picking part is actually the greatest fun part of the game. Beware of guards around you when doing lock picking.

Then I must be cursed, becouse by the end of first few missions locks were flying off the doors for me. I wont discuss the sistem, there's been said enough about it on this forum, I don't want to spoil anyones fun and learning to lockpick was actually one of the very best parts of the game.
But map designers should be ashamed as all the locks on certain maps had same combinations, may it be a locked door to the garden or a locked chest...