PDA

View Full Version : This probably sounds stupid but...

AgentOrange_section8
22nd Sep 2004, 13:45
Whats the little white bottles the Grunts had on their helmets?? they always had stuff on there helmets in the rubber strap. Like Cigs,Ace cards (those were bad luck to the VC's), an bullets...but i been noticing in alot of pictures and movies they have a little white plastic bottle up there. What is that??

d-2-502-101abn
22nd Sep 2004, 13:58
The bottle is one of two things: LSA (lubricant/cleaner for your weapon) or bug juice -- insect repellant. Most tended to put bug juice in their helmet's camouflage cover band (at least in my experience), as the insect population in RVN was ravenous ... there is a story (certainly exaggerated) that a mosquito landed once at Firebase Ripcord, and they filled it with a thousand gallons of JP4 before the rotorheads realized it wasn't a helicopter.

It is white, because the Army-issued stuff didn't work well, and many used Cutter's (which came in a white bottle) instead.

LSA was generally kept with the M16 cleaning kit, but I did know some who kept theirs in their helmet band.

Take point troop and don't get yourself waxed to the max. Geronimo. -- d2

ps: btw, LSA stands for Lubricant, Small Arms.

AgentOrange_section8
23rd Sep 2004, 07:16
SO its just gun cleaner?? weird i always thought it was going to be like Morphine or something...oh well..thanks bro!

"it dont mean nothin!! nada damn thing!"

d-2-502-101abn
23rd Sep 2004, 20:57
LSA is a light lubricant/cleaner for small arms in use by the military. Though of the two, as I mentioned, what shows up in the game is more than likely a bottle of insect repellant, as it was more common to carry it where you could get at it.

Take point troop and try not to get yourself waxed to the max. Geronimo. -- d2

AgentOrange_section8
24th Sep 2004, 07:02
I thought Grunts wernt allowed to Carry the insect repelant because Charlie could smell it...and then instant ambush

d-2-502-101abn
24th Sep 2004, 14:55
If they got close enough to smell me, I was having a really, really bad day lol.

Another reason for using Cutter's (or other commercial bug lotion) over the official Army issue bug spray or lotion: it had very little scent.

Take point troop and don't get yourself waxed to the max. Geronimo. -- d2