PDA

View Full Version : Shellshock 2?

SgtSpecht1234
20th Sep 2004, 23:55
im bursting with ideas to make a second shellshock game, not in the vietnam era (maybe they could make another vietnam one, with more improvements, and authentic weapons/missons) but anyways, maybe Guerilla and Eidos could make a WWII themed game like shellshock nam 67, only set in WWII, but you dont play as the americans (cause you ALWAYS play as them except in call of duty) or the British. They should choose the Russians as their battlefield now! They fought in many deadly battles, and should keep the flavor of just being a lower leveled soldier, and doing missions with bigger squads, and better AI (like your buds in call of duty) But choose Russia as the battleground fella's! Play in the battle'd of Kursk, Stalingrad, Battle for Berlin, and many more you can think of!! I think it would be an excellent idea if they made a game like that. Show the horrors of WWII, make it just as bloody and deadly as Nam 67, same grainy filter, (i loved it in Shellshock, gives it an authentic feel) And include the weapons used by the Russians, and Germans (all Authentic of course! :D ) I think it could actually come out to a great end product!

ACEofSPADES87
21st Sep 2004, 01:14
worst.idea.ever. lol

AgentOrange_section8
21st Sep 2004, 06:48
I really dont know bro...i mean i agree wit ya on alot of other things but theres been soooo many WW2 games and i think even if they did do this Pacific Assault would kill it and plus i want to see more Vietnam games i've seen so many WW2 games!

d-2-502-101abn
21st Sep 2004, 14:50
It would be hard to compete with Battlefield 42, Medal of Honor Allied Assault and others already out there that have done an excellent job at portraying WWII.

I agree with the previous response ... let's keep this focused on Vietnam, where good games have been sorely lacking. The case (and challenge) for a sequel is there: better AI, more expansive missions, etc.

Why -- for instance -- is a lieutenant leading a squad? He must definitely be on the CO's doo doo list. lol

Take point troop and don't get yourself waxed to the max. Geronimo. -- d2

SgtSpecht1234
22nd Sep 2004, 01:35
I dunno, WWII is a great subject line, especially with the Russians, cause they had the HARDEST missions, i think. True, there arent many 'Nam games out, maybe they could make another one with improved AI, weapons, and more missions and stuff, but they should keep you as a grunt, no special forces or anything, and have AI as smart as your friends in Call of Duty

AgentOrange_section8
22nd Sep 2004, 13:28
Yeah sarge im down with that!

Just pure grunt...no leveling up to SF or any crap like that...if they do make a sequel they should make ambushes...like actual ones and you should be able to ride Slicks more often...get dropped off in a cold LZ see a tree line that looks weird...pop off a couple shots at it then BOOM charlies all over the place...they should just try and remake alot of stuff out of books...and at least have guns and stuff accurate...and yeah Charlie was dumber than Battlefield Vietnams Single player mode in this game....but i gotta admit it was a pretty cool game i liked the dead bodies all over the place...but they should try to make it more of an RPG/Shooter...nothing like FF with the level up (except maybe promotions you and medals that sort of stuff) and it would be cool if they actually made the guys GRUNTS...straight up grunts not REMFS...i mean these guys are out in the Bush for one mission and come back to base the hardcore guys in Nam stayed out in the bush more than a day...or weeks...they should also have like...a soldier class selection, Recon,Radio Operator,Medic, Sniper, Rifle Man, you know that kind of thing instead of everyone just running around blasting each other. Well i know someones gonna diss my ideas oh well...later days!!

OH YEAH!!! i wanna write on my helmet an Flak Jacket on part 2!!! lol!!! HOLLA!!!

d-2-502-101abn
22nd Sep 2004, 13:51
Sgt Spect's right, in that there are numerous possibilities in the WWII genre. However, there are other game engines/systems out there already dealing with that, and indeed, some of them do have Russian front scenarios.

Vietnam, on the otherhand, has been under-represented ... especially with a quality system.

I like some of AO's suggestions if Eidos decides to undertake a sequel. Most sweep-type missions were at least 3-4 days in length, with some longer. LRRP (Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol) missions tended to last longer and were covert in nature. So the thrust here should be on what the line dogs went through: search and destroy missions, assault missions and the like. Even routine patrolling of the base camp area to discourage VC build up of forces.

BTW, I thought the reference to the Sh1t-burning detail early on at the base camp was a riot: no pun really intended, but it was a crappy job pulling out the "pots" and then torching them with diesel fuel. Thank God we don't have scratch n' sniff monitors lol.

My main critique so far is in the AI: the squad (platoon?) doesn't use the fireteam concept, and there is no concept of fire and maneuver by your teammates. The "hey diddle, diddle, go right up the middle" approach is suicidal at best.

I also agree that there should be more of an impact when teammates get wounded, and they should be out of the fight, at least temporarily. And yes, the suggestion of having a medic along is an excellent one. Spending quality time with the nurses would almost be worthwhile lol.

Insofar as the intermingling of SF missions and the typical grunt-type missions ... it just didn't happen like that. The closest it came to that was that line units -- such as the 2/502nd parent brigade HQ -- would form ad hoc LRRP teams for intelligence-gathering purposes. While not part of the brigade's normal TO&E (Table of Organization and Equipment), military reality for tactical intelligence necessitated this approach in many commands.

The 101st Airborne recognized the value of small units having the ability to accomplish such missions, and for that reason (among others) instantiated their own Recondo (Reconnaissance Commando) school. In fact, after the division's return to the US in 1971, the school became integral in the NCO development track at Fort Campbell.

But beyond ad hoc LRRP/Recondo-type elements within a large command's TO&E, interaction between SF elements and line units was minimal at best. Further, it would be a rarity for a line grunt to be assigned to an SF unit, as SF teams were trained at Ft. Bragg, NC and went through the rigorous training at the JFK Warfare Center there (US Army Green Berets, not sure where the Navy/Marine Corps based their training at the time).

abcent
22nd Sep 2004, 18:25
Why WWII alway? How about game (same as SSNAM67) about current war, war against terrorism?
A game about war in Afghanistan and Irad. EIDOS can just copy paste (lol) NAM67 code to Shell Shock: 9/11, they can replace DIEM (villain of NAM67) with Osama bin ladin (lol) and relace jungles to deserts.
Man! if they agree to this theme i can write two episodes for this game ;)
Ideas in mind:
episode 1. Shell Shock: 9/11 Al-Qaeda
episode 2. Shell Shock: 9/11 Saddoom (lol, i ripped Saddam)

d-2-502-101abn
22nd Sep 2004, 18:40
For that sort of thing, try Blackhawk Down and Team Sabre add-on. I think Eidos is onto a good thing here if they can iron out a few things, and would prefer their focus remain committed to Vietnam.

abcent
22nd Sep 2004, 18:53
Originally posted by d-2-502-101abn
For that sort of thing, try Blackhawk Down and Team Sabre add-on. I think Eidos is onto a good thing here if they can iron out a few things, and would prefer their focus remain committed to Vietnam.
well, thats SUX!

ACEofSPADES87
22nd Sep 2004, 19:30
Originally posted by abcent
well, thats SUX!

no those game are actually pretty good. I myself would like to see more Vietnam games. So far the only ones that look good that are coming out are MOV and Vietcong was pretty good.

AgentOrange_section8
23rd Sep 2004, 06:55
To the dude up there who wants Modern Warfare

Get Battlefield 2: Modern Warfare...that game is going to rock

i think its called Battlefield 2: Modern Warfare...i 4got..well correct me if im wrong! later!

ACEofSPADES87
23rd Sep 2004, 16:38
Right now it's still a working title. So for now they are callin' it Battlefield 2. But there is a console Battlefield game called Battlefield: Modern Combat...not out yet for a while though

ArTsKiLLaRy
23rd Sep 2004, 18:01
Eidos should do a better remake of Kuma War, just make it a game you have to buy, advance graphics, more up too date...It would be a great seller...Modern Day wars, they can even have updates of certain missions that are going on...ofcourse you would have to download them weekly or maybe even daily:)
REALISM is KEY!

Clumsyorchid
23rd Sep 2004, 18:09
I think weekly and daily updates are slightly unrealistic.

ArTsKiLLaRy
23rd Sep 2004, 18:33
Well not if its based on real life scenarios in Iraq...

Clumsyorchid
23rd Sep 2004, 18:35
I guess I don't understand, you want new downloadable content available daily?

ACEofSPADES87
23rd Sep 2004, 18:52
that is highly unlikely

ArTsKiLLaRy
23rd Sep 2004, 21:39
I dunno i am just stoned forget it...I just meant it would be cool to have a game that is based on Real Life Scenarios just forget about the daily part...

Private Joker
24th Sep 2004, 00:07
My idea for a Shellshock sequel:

Shellshock: Homecoming '68- You made it home. But your war is only beginning. You must face off against long-haired, dirty hippies who spit on you and call you a babykiller. Go section 8 on your girlfriend, who ran off with your best friend while you were in 'Nam. Go ballistic in the veteran's clinic, after they deny you your prescription drugs. Execute anyone you suspect of being a VC, even if it is the paperboy or your next door neighbor. Vietnam was the easy part........

SgtSpecht1234
24th Sep 2004, 01:01
Lol, that would be a funny idea...

abcent
24th Sep 2004, 11:48
Originally posted by Private Joker
My idea for a Shellshock sequel:

Shellshock: Homecoming '68- You made it home. But your war is only beginning. You must face off against long-haired, dirty hippies who spit on you and call you a babykiller. Go section 8 on your girlfriend, who ran off with your best friend while you were in 'Nam. Go ballistic in the veteran's clinic, after they deny you your prescription drugs. Execute anyone you suspect of being a VC, even if it is the paperboy or your next door neighbor. Vietnam was the easy part........

You weird Joker! you should see Mama-San Daily ;) she wont deny your access if you got enough chits :p

d-2-502-101abn
24th Sep 2004, 14:52
Oh, sort of like a Sims 68? lol

I remember my "homecoming" ... it wasn't a pleasant experience, and based on events in SF airport and while home on leave, I ended up reenlisting and -- unlike many -- got to "detune" within the structure of the Army stateside rather than on the streets. (lol ... to make a long story short.)

ACEofSPADES87
24th Sep 2004, 18:19
Originally posted by d-2-502-101abn
Oh, sort of like a Sims 68? lol

I remember my "homecoming" ... it wasn't a pleasant experience, and based on events in SF airport and while home on leave, I ended up reenlisting and -- unlike many -- got to "detune" within the structure of the Army stateside rather than on the streets. (lol ... to make a long story short.)

That's some ****ed up ****. It makes me so angry how people can spit and abuse soldiers that served their country, and risked their lives. And some of them, like my Uncle Ron for instance was drafted into the army gave his life for their freedom, and they don't even care.

I understand that they have the right to protest, but have a little respect.

d-2-502-101abn
24th Sep 2004, 23:38
Amen: we all have a right to dissent ... but respectfully.

SgtSpecht1234
25th Sep 2004, 02:51
Exactly!!! Hippies were dumb people...they should all die... *shoots up the hippes*

Clumsyorchid
25th Sep 2004, 02:59
:rolleyes:

SgtSpecht1234
25th Sep 2004, 03:06
ITS TRUE THOUGH!!!!!!!!! lol

Clumsyorchid
25th Sep 2004, 03:20
please don't make me roll my eyes yet again ...

SgtSpecht1234
25th Sep 2004, 03:26
KEEP ON ROLLING 'EM BUB!!!!!!! YEEHA!!!! lol

d-2-502-101abn
25th Sep 2004, 03:54
It isn't so much that "hippies" were dumb, as they were blind. Anyone who becomes ideologically fixated on one issue becomes as one-dimensional as their cause.

To succeed in life, one must be aware of the macrocosm as well as the microcosm; that is, we have to understand how what compels us fits into the greater scheme of all things.

It is when people lose sight of this larger view, that we see intolerance and hatred. It has never ceased to amaze me that the polarized extremists -- the far left and far right -- can so easily suck everyone else into their myopic view.

Take point troop and don't get yourself waxed to the max. Geronimo -- d2

SgtSpecht1234
25th Sep 2004, 03:59
A lot of my friends think im going to grow up into a communist revolutionary in Russia...Dont ask where that came from...lol

AgentOrange_section8
26th Sep 2004, 03:39
*asks where that came from*

SgtSpecht1234
26th Sep 2004, 15:48
I TOLD YOU NOT TO ASK!!!! lol

AgentOrange_section8
27th Sep 2004, 06:59
lol hahah dude really where did it come from though...lol

d-2-502-101abn
27th Sep 2004, 14:06
lol ... yes, inquiring minds want to know ... some sort of internal communist insurgency? Perhaps we need to deploy troops there for communist aggression containment lol ... perhaps we can get Congress to pass a resolution? Hmm ... sounds like Vietnam all over again. lmao ...

SgtSpecht1234
27th Sep 2004, 23:53
It actually came out of nowhere, i was just thinking of something weird to say....cause thats just me! you guys have known me for like...4 months! you should know that im a funny kind of guy! :p

AgentOrange_section8
28th Sep 2004, 06:26
lol

word up! well dudes I sure as f*** dont wanna go to this draft thing in 2008 they are talking about

d-2-502-101abn
28th Sep 2004, 12:03
lmao ... welcome to the the real "Fear Factor" and "Survivor" rolled into one. We didn't need reality TV shows; they used to film ours and show it on the 6 o'clock news with Walter Cronkite.

SgtSpecht1234
1st Oct 2004, 02:37
Draft thing?!?!? WERE BEING DRAFTED???!?!?!?!?!? *packs things and moves to Japan*

d-2-502-101abn
1st Oct 2004, 14:10
If there is a draft (it is just being talked about currently), remember that Canada is a lot closer lol.

Seriously, though, you always have the option to enlist (which is what I did upon getting my draft notice).

"Greetings. On or about 0800, 23 March 1970, you will report to Fort Holybird, AFEES Station Baltimore, for induction into the Armed Forces of the United States." Or something like that ... So off I went to various recruiters and explored options and chose to enlist in the Army instead (Canada being too cold and all).

Easy to take our freedom for granted, isn't it, when currently the only consequence is the government taking a few tax dollars from your paycheck. It begins to mean a whole lot more when you are personally committed to it (whether you intended to get committed or not).

SgtSpecht1234
1st Oct 2004, 22:29
But they'll never find me in japan, HAHAHA

Clumsyorchid
1st Oct 2004, 22:37
Or Canada, gotta get that dual citizenship :)

SgtSpecht1234
2nd Oct 2004, 02:10
Yeah that would work to...but if a draft really did start, i think i would go... I mean, dont expect any heroics outta me, but i'd at least be there

AgentOrange_section8
2nd Oct 2004, 12:21
Uh dude im in Japan right now...on a U.S. Airbase called misawa and theres alot of Navy Bases and Army bases here but they are more down south were up north dude...so dude...i think they would find you...lol...

d-2-502-101abn
2nd Oct 2004, 12:23
Actually, they don't even bother to look.

As for "heroics" -- you are just expected to do your job. That's what training is for: to help drill into your very being those important things you need to do automatically when the situation goes all to ****.

SgtSpecht1234
2nd Oct 2004, 15:50
I mean, i'd probably freak out if i was shot at ya know, so i dunno, i might like freeze up or something, or run away, i dont feel like going home in a box, i feel like going home in one piece thank you very much

d-2-502-101abn
4th Oct 2004, 03:08
I will not bs you: there were times I froze up too ... and there were times when the training kicked in and I did something dumb like drag wounded buddies from the open while under fire.

You honestly don't have time to think about it ... it is when you have the time to think that you get scared ****less.

In my recollection: after every firefight, I had the shakes, often so bad I couldn't even light a cigarette. But that was when I had time to think, and the shock and horror of it all drove home.

In an ambush, for example, you hit the ground, rip off a burst on full auto to suppress the enemy, and begin hugging the dirt with your navel while searching for better cover/concealment. Trust me: the training and the human will to survive do kick in.

In an ambush situation, if you lived through the first five seconds, odds are pretty good you'll make it (although you'll be shaking afterwards).

In a general firefight, there are more opportunities to digest and think about the situation, and thus be more apt to freeze. This is where the example of your teammates and having good NCOs and leaders is essential. It generally snaps you out of over-thinking and focusing on the task at hand.

If you want a very, very real look (as close as Hollywood has gotten the Vietnam war to date), go rent We Were Soldiers with Mel Gibson. That is exactly what hitting a hot LZ is like. And that is exactly what happens when the inserting force is vastly outnumbered because of faulty intelligence. It shows too, that ordinary people are capable of uncommon valor.

It is my experience that the defining line between courage and cowardice is remaining calm ten seconds longer than everyone around you.

SgtSpecht1234
4th Oct 2004, 22:10
still, i'd freeze up like in Saving Private ryan, i dont think i would even move, i'd probably just sit there, but in Iraq i got no problem of getting shot, because it seems the only way them cowardly Iraqi's attack is with a car bomb or something, stupid sneak attacks! they cant fight like real men!!

d-2-502-101abn
6th Oct 2004, 12:57
I think you'd do better than you think: remember, Drill Sergeants exist for one reason -- to tear down what you were and build a soldier. Thirty-some years later, I have forgotten many people and things over the years, but I still can picture and hear SSG Harvey. It is too bad I never saw him after Basic: I owe him an enormous "thank you".

My self-esteem was akin to yours at 18, but Basic Training -- followed by AIT and then jump school at Fort Benning -- instilled in me forever that there is no obstacle you cannot overcome.

I went airborne because I was afraid of heights, to me, it was a chance to bury that fear forever. And it did. I still have a very, very healthy respect for heights -- but I can live with it :) ...

So do not dwell on it overly much, I think you will be no different than millions of young men that have served in the military.

SgtSpecht1234
6th Oct 2004, 23:17
This might be a dumb question to ask, i should know it, but ill ask anyways, you were in the Vietnam war right? If you were, what was it like, with all the fighting, do you eventually get over it, and just march off shooting or something? and what was it like your first time in a firefight?

d-2-502-101abn
7th Oct 2004, 13:45
This might be a dumb question to ask, i should know it, but ill ask anyways, you were in the Vietnam war right?
It's a maxim: the only dumb question is the one unasked. So, no, I don't mind you asking. As I mentioned elsewhere, I have reached a point in my life where I can discuss things now. Must be the therapeutic nature of forums :) .

As my log-in implies, I served in the 101st Airborne (Airmobile), and later 101st Airborne (Air Assault) in the 2nd Battalion 502nd Airborne Infantry from Dec 1969 to Jan 1971.

If you were, what was it like, with all the fighting, do you eventually get over it, and just march off shooting or something?
I served as a LRRP (Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol) member. As such, I was attached to Brigade Headquarters. We had a five-man team, and we were used to gather tactical intelligence which Division G2/G3 and Battalion S2/S3 (Intelligence and Operations sections of a HQ) would plan operations.

At times, we would provide scout capability for the line companies in the Oh Deuce during field operations, but mostly it was humping a 60-pound LRRP ruck over the rugged terrain of the Central Highlands, hoping to see the enemy and hoping even moreso that they didn't see us.

We scouted valleys, kept tabs on villages, set up the occasional ambush to deny trail usage for resupply, and once, even provided the forward eyes for a B52 strike.

Mostly it was being constantly grungy and tired, and you went through your day-to-day tasks in a semi-stupor. LRRP missions, because of the independent nature, meant that you were operating far from friendly support -- so you lived on adrenaline, and afterward, suffered the adrenaline burn-out. Not to mention ups and downs of the tensions each mission brought: you never really knew what you would be getting into. It was more about sneak n' peak and not direct confrontation.

Working with the line grunts was a bit more straightforward, though no less nerve-wracking. Show of force replaces stealth in sweep missions, and search and destroy missions, so the enemy knows you are in the area (though not necessarily your exact position).

and what was it like your first time in a firefight?
My first firefight was shortly after I arrived, the VC and NVA did a night probe of our firebase, mostly I remember being scared ****less, red tracers going out, green ones coming in, flares popping overhead, mortars firing: both incoming and outgoing. I fired a bit at some fleeting shadows, but can't really say if I hit anything. Very chaotic, and I was a bit scared at the time, but was too busy looking out for dinks to be petrified.

The enemy probe finally ended when a Puff (AC47, not the new improved AC130s) was called in and unleashed on their avenues of approach ... awesome and terrible to see and hear it.

Afterward, when I thought back on it, I had the shakes. But not as bad as some subsequent firefights during ambushes and the like ... it just happened to be first.

From a personal level, as you fire, you're not consciously thinking about it -- you concentrate on the sight picture, sweeping your zone for movement, and engaging the movement, especially at night.

It is a dehumanizing process, because you are taught to think of the person you are sighting on as a "target" and not as a human being. It was furthered by observing the attrocities the VC and NVA committed, so loathing and hatred begin to creep in as well.

As I mentioned in another post, you do what needed to be done to get home in one piece ... and while the rules of the Geneva Conventions were bent on occasion, I never witnessed outright callous violations ... we were held accountable for our actions as soldiers under the articles of the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), and no matter what the circumstance, we were expected to act as soldiers.

As for getting back to the USA ... that was a culture shock of a different sort. I was literally spat on in the concourse of the airport in San Francisco (as were the others on my flight). When I got home ("back on the block"), I didn't fit in -- I had substantially changed, and my friends and acquaintances were still doing the same juvenile high school/college stuff -- hanging out and doing the same things that seemed to belong to a whole different lifetime. I felt old, and they were still young and innocent -- even if we were the same physical age. They had not been exposed to the trials that change men's souls, and therefore couldn't relate to my experiences, nor I -- any longer -- to theirs.

I had been offered an early out in SF, but a wily old E7 talked me out of it by saying that I lived in an area with lots of military facilities (Andrews AFB, Ft. Meyers and others) and why not use the PX, etc. while on leave for 30 days and looking for a job? Made sense to me, and the option was always there to avail myself of the early out after my 30 day leave.

I remember walking in downtown Washington, DC and seeing the protests -- where before the war it was something I had only noticed on a superficial level -- it hit home. To watch the flag being burned, to being called a war criminal, baby killer and the like. After my second week of leave, I went down to Ft. Meyer, VA and re-enlisted.

By this time, the 101st was packing up from RVN and was redeploying back to Ft. Campbell, KY, so I was held in a casual status for about 90 days (which basically meant I just called in to see if orders had arrived), and eventually received orders to Ft. Campbell.

Whew ... long enough for one post, but I will be glad to answer any further questions you might have.

SgtSpecht1234
7th Oct 2004, 21:10
i was thinking of joining the army as infantry man myself, but im afarid i wouldnt be good enough, and might get killed or something, plus im not to fond of Iraq, WAY to hot, and another thing, kinda off topic, do you have anything left from the vietnam war?? (shirt, pants, boots, helmet, etc...) if you do, i was wondering if maybe i could buy it off of you or something, if so, just give me a Private message, and we could talk more!

d-2-502-101abn
8th Oct 2004, 02:56
lol ... have no fear about being "good enough" that's the job of the SSG Harvey's of the world.

Iraq may be hot, but remember, napalm burns at 20,000 deg. F. :)

Besides fading memories, I only have my medals and a Gerber Mark II combat knife -- which I won't part with, sorry -- and a handful of pictures (d**n was I ever really that young?).

But feel free to post questions, either here in the forum or via PM.

The forum is a better venue -- unless it is extremely private -- as there may be others out there with the same sorts of questions, but might be hesitant to ask.

Whatever you decide to do in life, a three- or four-year commitment to the military will be a life-long benefit: to your confidence, your character, and your exposure to the world at large. There is no higher mark of patriotism, no greater commitment to this great country, than to serve in its armed forces. (Though I still will exchange barbs with squids, airheads and jarheads in the spirit of esprit de corps. lol)

SgtSpecht1234
8th Oct 2004, 03:01
rats...

richg67
11th Oct 2004, 13:37
Stealth Shock: Nam '68 (the LRRPs missions)

4 to 6 man squads complete with formations and actuall fireteam tactics. 12 stealth missions over 47 levels so dangerous VC can be found pissing right on your head but you don't dare give away your posistion. There's a more important mission. Intel. If you can get in get intel and get out without firing a single shot then your mission is accomplished...

...but things don't always go as planned.

Dynamic missions with different outcomes for the ultimate in replay ability. Teach your squad hand signals specific to certain missions. Recon the site and choose your own LZ and box of engagement. Call Medevac for extraction of wounded. Call for extraction of your squad if the mission winds up FUBAR. Call ship to shore and aire strikes for distraction or total obliteration of entire armies of VC and NVA at your discretion.

(there's more where that came from)

d-2-502-101abn
11th Oct 2004, 14:23
Exactly right: the total flashback experience in Nam 68 lol. But for that we need scratch n' sniff monitors to get all those rich pungent smells (of the countryside, villages, etc. ... not our own bodies).

Adding squad hand signals and having the soldiers respond accordingly would be a HUGE leap forward and would be a challenging (but rewarding) goal for the design team.

LRRP missions, on the whole, while challenging, would not propogate the shooter-type game. Pity.

I would also recommend the game reward sound tactics on the battlefield. Yes, give points for achieving goals in a timely way, but also deduct points (all done behind the scenes, as it is now) for excessive hits on your squad (since they don't outright die ... at least the main characters).

richg67
11th Oct 2004, 14:52
There's a lot of people who would've liked to have finished their first 'Special Forces' mission using only the knife but we can't always use stealth. The game I meant to describe would still have the shooter aspect as a dynamic option.

SgtSpecht1234
11th Oct 2004, 16:42
yeah you cant get through withour firing a bullet...ah well...

d-2-502-101abn
11th Oct 2004, 22:18
Using the silenced pistol in the Special Forces mission works quite well. Take the time to observe movement patterns, then take out one of the dinks (when fellow dinks aren't looking).

My problem with finishing the mission in a stealthy fashion has been the cumbersome nature of the boobytraps and -- in my case -- the interface's refusal to respond to arrow keys.

As an aside to the Eidos folks (who do read these posts, I am happy to say) ... get rid of the neon arrows pointing to boobytraps; and make the damage fatal. That'll keep the speedsters on their toes and add that gut-tightening feeling when you know there are boobytraps around, but have to look closely for them.

SgtSpecht1234
11th Oct 2004, 23:13
anyone thinking of a new Shellshock that could be made, i had my ideas, like in BF vietnam, they should have authentic missions, and make it LOADS longer, have it start say, in 1967, and go up to like 1970 or something, like your soldier stays in vietnam for 3 years, but this time, he should have a Name, and voice, and you should be able to customize him! That'd be great

richg67
12th Oct 2004, 09:40
Actually my favorite weapon for the speacial forces mission was the grenade launcher.
You can do knife stealth in some places and grenade in others and still never fire a bullet. :D

But on a serious note:

Thank you D2 for letting us into your perspective of 'way of life' in Vietnam. I can only imagine the experience and HOPE never to experience the unimagineable.

d-2-502-101abn
12th Oct 2004, 13:29
The wonderful thing about this game: it is flexible enough to encompass a variety of play styles.

I tend to be as "realistic" as I can (given the AI) when doing the missions: as richg67 said elsewhere: the right tool for the right job.

It seems that Vietnam-based games are the vogue this year. I had bought Platoon off the used rack at EB Games ... should have left it there lol. Haven't tried BVN yet ... I will once I can find it on the used rack: buying too many games new is hard on the wallet lol. Though I did get SSN67 new: I've always enjoyed games that Eidos puts out, so splurged when I saw it.

Last night while browsing EB's new arrivals, I came across Conflict: Vietnam, just out. Different approach to game design than SSN67 (squad-based 3rd/1st shooter) and my first impression (after the first two missions), is that is was as equally well done as SSN67. Kudos to both companies for their products.

So why didn't I wait (as I usually do) to get CVN used? Hard to resist a game when they put you on the cover. The photo they used shows my team inserting (I am the one behind the radio operator) and was taken by a photographer from Life Magazine. I understand it has been used in a few books, as well as a postcard that was available at Ft. Campbell (don't know if it still is) in the early-mid 70's. Still "Shell Shock"ed that I have now been immortailzed in video-gamedom!

Anyway, enough about the "other guys", as this isn't their forum, just thought I would share the news. As they say: "Don't mean nothin'."

richg67
12th Oct 2004, 14:16
Vietcong: Purple Haze (http://www.vietcong-game.com/us/purplehaze.htm)
and
Men of Valor (http://www.2015.com/games/games_mov.html)
Are my other choices.

SgtSpecht1234
12th Oct 2004, 22:15
Are you serious, are you on the cover of Conflict Vietnam???

d-2-502-101abn
12th Oct 2004, 22:50
Yep, that's me behind the radio operator (Doc), Andrews is the black man you see, Vance's helmet is visible on the box edge where it wraps around.

So I finally have a claim to fame lol. Poster boy (almost, since my face/body is sort of behind everyone else's) for CVN.

I didn't really look at the box in the store, as the clerk at EB knows me and just said "Hey, CVN is in, you want a copy?" And I said sure. He put it in the bag and I pulled it out as I was ready to leave the store and went "Holy s**t, that's me!" ... I laughed and joked with the clerk, offeringto do a gamebox signing at EB.

Sigh ... probably no royalties in it for me though.

SgtSpecht1234
12th Oct 2004, 22:55
You should sue the makers, for using your picture without your consent! lol

richg67
13th Oct 2004, 08:44
I saw a trailer for that game today. Looks good.

Say! Link us a good piture of the cover eh?

d-2-502-101abn
13th Oct 2004, 13:30
I'll see what I can do, as I don't have a working scanner at the moment.

SgtSpecht1234
15th Oct 2004, 00:46
I cant see any radio man! lol, are you soldier 1, 2, 3, or 4???? lol

ACEofSPADES87
15th Oct 2004, 16:06
So what...I'm on the cover of Shellshock: Nam '67.

SgtSpecht1234
15th Oct 2004, 22:09
are you serious? or are you messing with my fragile little mind???

AgentOrange_section8
16th Oct 2004, 01:54
JESUS H. CHRIST PRIVATE PYLE!!!

SgtSpecht1234
16th Oct 2004, 01:59
STOP YELLING AT ME!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

DirtMonkey
23rd Oct 2004, 09:22
I was thinking, strange for a Monkey to do but heres my idea...

Maybe an expansion pack of sorts one where the main character continues for a full tour as a grunt, there would be pre-scripted missions as in the first SSVN67 as well as randomly generated ones, such as morning and afternoon clearing patrols around the base camp, medical escorts to the local villa's.

The character would earn experience points as the tour progressed and this in turn would result in battlefield promotions and extra training with different things, Machine guns, morters, Radio Ops (for Airstrikes etc) or even the chance to try for special forces,

Each rank attained would open up more mission possibilitys and story paths, alternatively you could just survive the tour as a grunt, and as you continued along you could play any of the minor missions in any order, and each one would play out depending on your rank and skills and whether you were in charge or just there for the ride.

As you progress, you would be just a trooper taking orders and as you were promoted you would eventuall lead a squad and could organise what equipment each soldier took with them on a mission...

and even to the point you could customise your character before each mission..flak jacket on..jacket off, long sleeves short sleeves helmet vs floppy hat...

and even further, the character could hump a pack that carried extra ammo and first aid supplys, for a reduced speed penalty, that they could drop in an instant for a quick firefight..

Call a chopper for a dust off for a wounded soldier, who is replaced with a new guy when the chopper gets there....only and only if the wounded man was treated with first aid AND a defensive perimiter was set up....up to AND including different color smoke grenades with interaction between you/your radio operator.."i see red smoke" etc

Just a few thoughts I guess what do you think?

SgtSpecht1234
23rd Oct 2004, 15:04
I think that is a great idea, plus it should have more authenticity, like the M16 A1 version, not A2, and was the 9mm even invented in the 'nam era?! Plus they should go off historics, like REAL things that happened...that'd be good....