PDA

View Full Version : Pre-install woes

Mongo Chow
18th Sep 2004, 15:17
Just picked this up less than an hour ago on a whim, and man am I sorry. First my primary optical drive couldn't read it so I used my DVD drive which is slower (I know it's on DVD, my primary can read them). Then during install I get an error 1305 which says error reading "drive path, shellshocknam67.exe" please verify that file exists etc. Will Electronics Boutique let me return it for this?

jaywalker2309
18th Sep 2004, 15:19
Fact your drives couldnt read it suggests theres something wrong with the disc.

Have you tried copying the whole disc to your harddrive and then install from there? IF it fails to even let you copy then you will need to get a replacement DISC. EB should enable you to do that

You will need the disc in the drive to enable starting of the game

Mongo Chow
18th Sep 2004, 15:24
Well my DVD burner can read it, and at least initiate installation. Do you still think there's something wrong with the disc?

jaywalker2309
18th Sep 2004, 15:27
Possibly.. the installation is a simple `copy to hd` process, nothing fancy going on there, so if it having problems means the disc and the drive aint being too friendly with each other

Beerbrewer
18th Sep 2004, 22:56
I just got Nam 67. The installer fails with the above errors (cannot find the .exe file.) I tried the suggestion of copying the files right from the DVD Rom to the HD but it still fails to initiate anything Are there any other settings that should be tweaked or checked? I'm a Brewer, not a programmer so be gentle.

jaywalker2309
19th Sep 2004, 08:30
Originally posted by Beerbrewer
I just got Nam 67. The installer fails with the above errors (cannot find the .exe file.) I tried the suggestion of copying the files right from the DVD Rom to the HD but it still fails to initiate anything Are there any other settings that should be tweaked or checked? I'm a Brewer, not a programmer so be gentle.

What do you mean it fails to initiate anything? doesn't start? still gives same error?

Beerbrewer
19th Sep 2004, 14:31
I'm still getting the 1305 error. I copied the contents of the DVD from disk to my hard drive, still no luck. After the copy, I was able to get the play game option instead of install on the startup screen, but when I tried it it said fatal error during install.

jaywalker2309
19th Sep 2004, 18:15
I'm still getting the 1305 error. I copied the contents of the DVD from disk to my hard drive, still no luck. After the copy, I was able to get the play game option instead of install on the startup screen, but when I tried it it said fatal error during install.

Thats really bizarre.. could you do me a favour and within explorer go to the dvd rom drive.. and select all the files on the root directory of the shellshock dvd and right click and select properties, this will give you a window telling you how many files/folders and size of the disc etc. Could you post that info..

Beerbrewer
19th Sep 2004, 18:28
It has 26 files in 5 folders of multiple types for a total of 2.32 GB the attributes are read-only and archive
These are the specs on my machine:
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
AMD Athlon™ XP 3000+ Processor
QuantiSpeed™ Architecture operates at 2.167 GHz
512KB L2 cache & 333MHz FSB
nVIDIA® nForce™2
7.25"w x 14.125"h x 16"d
160 GB HDD (7200 RPM)
AOL 3 month membership included, click here for details
8-in-1 Digital Media Manager (USB 2.0, Secure Digital (SD), Smart Media, Compact Flash, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Micro Drive, Multimedia Card)
512 MB DDR (PC 2700)
Expandable to 2 GB
56K* ITU v.92 ready Fax/Modem
10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
DVD +/- RW Drive (Write Max: 8x DVD+/-R, 4x DVD+/-RW, 32x CD-R, 16x CD-RW; Reads 40x CD, 12x DVD); 48x Max. CD-ROM Drive
Premium Plus Multimedia Keyboard, 2-Button Wheel Mouse, Amplified Stereo Speakers
5 USB 2.0 ports (4 in back; 1 in Media Reader), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio-In & Out
nForce™ 6-channel Audio
nVIDIA® GeForce4™ MX graphics (1 AGP 8x slot available)

jaywalker2309
20th Sep 2004, 09:59
It has 26 files in 5 folders of multiple types for a total of 2.32 GB the attributes are read-only and archive
These are the specs on my machine:
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
AMD Athlon™ XP 3000+ Processor
QuantiSpeed™ Architecture operates at 2.167 GHz
512KB L2 cache & 333MHz FSB
nVIDIA® nForce™2
7.25"w x 14.125"h x 16"d
160 GB HDD (7200 RPM)
AOL 3 month membership included, click here for details
8-in-1 Digital Media Manager (USB 2.0, Secure Digital (SD), Smart Media, Compact Flash, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Micro Drive, Multimedia Card)
512 MB DDR (PC 2700)
Expandable to 2 GB
56K* ITU v.92 ready Fax/Modem
10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
DVD +/- RW Drive (Write Max: 8x DVD+/-R, 4x DVD+/-RW, 32x CD-R, 16x CD-RW; Reads 40x CD, 12x DVD); 48x Max. CD-ROM Drive
Premium Plus Multimedia Keyboard, 2-Button Wheel Mouse, Amplified Stereo Speakers
5 USB 2.0 ports (4 in back; 1 in Media Reader), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio-In & Out
nForce™ 6-channel Audio
nVIDIA® GeForce4™ MX graphics (1 AGP 8x slot available)

Which version did you buy? US, or UK?

I only get 24 files and 4 folders on the UK master.

Beerbrewer
20th Sep 2004, 11:36
I bought the US version.

jaywalker2309
20th Sep 2004, 16:58
ahh okie.

I've thought of a way to manually install the game, will still need the disc in the drive to run tho..

Have you got winrar? if not you will need the latest version (it has support for cab uncompressing)

Create a folder on your hard disc (e.g. C:\shellshock\

Goto your dvd drive with shellshock dvd in drive. Select all the cab files, right click and select `Extract files...` this will open a prompt asking where to extract to. Select the C:\shellshock\ folder.

This will extract the data files.. Will take a while.

When its finished go to the dvd again, and into the Program files\Eidos\Shellshock_nam67 folder.. Select ALL the files in here, and copy these into the c:\ShellShock\ folder.

When its finished copying you should have a folder with all the files in the same folder and 1 sub folder called `weblinks`

Double click Shellshock_nam67.exe to start the game.

You wont have any desktop icons, or shortcuts under Start button, but you will have shelly installed. Note you will need the disc in the drive to enable the game to start.

Beerbrewer
21st Sep 2004, 00:24
I DL'd winrar3.40 and did as you said, when copying the program files from disk to harddrive, I get an internal error. I got home 3 minutes too late for customer service...Arrgghhh. I'm going to start slapping nuns randomly if I don't get this thing to work soon!

gleejon
21st Sep 2004, 01:42
I'm having similar problems, except the game seems to install, but will not start. I click it to start it, the screen goes black for a second or two, then reverts back to the windows screen. No error messages, nothing. Except the game still shows up in the task bar. I tried both my DVD +/-R/RW and my DVD rom with the same results. And I tried installing it on my other HD and got the same results. :confused:
I guess I just bought a $40.00 drink coaster :rolleyes: because I never had a problem with any other game I installed, and I have no intentions of monkeying around with my computer, when obviously something is wrong with the game.

samael
21st Sep 2004, 02:19
Hi folks, I had the same error. the CD is not the problem. I installed it on another computer so I narrowed it down to my DVD Burner. I went into msconfig and disabled a program that I had called InCD. It's a disk burner manager I guess.... rebooted and cleared the problem right up. You may want to check into your dvd burning software...

Beerbrewer
21st Sep 2004, 02:42
I tried disabling InCD but still the same error. This HAS to be a problem with the software! This is a huge pain in the ***. *SLAP!* there's one for Sister Agnus!

jaywalker2309
21st Sep 2004, 07:40
I DL'd winrar3.40 and did as you said, when copying the program files from disk to harddrive, I get an internal error. I got home 3 minutes too late for customer service...Arrgghhh. I'm going to start slapping nuns randomly if I don't get this thing to work soon!

If u are getting an error simply copying then its definitely a problem with either the media or your drive itself.

gleejon
21st Sep 2004, 20:44
That wouldn't affect the DVD rom player as well? I have a DVD rom that came installed in the computer, and I removed my CD-RW to replace it with a DVD burner, and ShellShock will not play on the DVD rom either.
By the way, I removed that InCD program when I installed 321 DVD copying software, so apparently there's another conflict that affects both the DVD burner and the DVD rom drive.
Maybe I'll try having them sending me the CD version, because I shouldn't have to start uninstalling programs that don't conflict with anything else that I have. This is the only game conflict I ever had, so that tells me it's the game, not my computer.

gleejon
21st Sep 2004, 20:51
I wish I'd have waited and read the reviews first.....ahhhh but I guess we all do, huh?

jaywalker2309
21st Sep 2004, 22:52
Originally posted by gleejon
That wouldn't affect the DVD rom player as well? I have a DVD rom that came installed in the computer, and I removed my CD-RW to replace it with a DVD burner, and ShellShock will not play on the DVD rom either.
By the way, I removed that InCD program when I installed 321 DVD copying software, so apparently there's another conflict that affects both the DVD burner and the DVD rom drive.
Maybe I'll try having them sending me the CD version, because I shouldn't have to start uninstalling programs that don't conflict with anything else that I have. This is the only game conflict I ever had, so that tells me it's the game, not my computer.

Hmm well since they recently shut down 321 studios (creator of 321 dvd copying software) as its software was able to be used for totally illegal reasons i am not overly surprised that our copy protection system is detecting this software installed and not working.

I know the software may be purchaseable therefore appear legit, but sometimes it aint and the totally innocent public end up with a piece of software on their pc that causes no end of problems with other software clashing - believe me other games will have issues with this software too..

Piracy is something that we have to fight against and its an uphill battle and we will always aim to ensure that totally legitmate owners of the game can enjoy the product, but you have to understand that we have every right to protect our product and ensure that ONLY these legitmate users are playing it.

In this occasion you have got a piece of software installed which has been universally recognised as a `tool` for piracy therefore with it installed on your pc is causing issue.

gleejon
22nd Sep 2004, 08:32
Well, since I have the disc I can always reinstall it, so I'll try removing it, but I don't think it's the problem since many others are experiencing the same difficulties, without 321 software.
As usual, it seems the blame always goes to the peoples computers, even though they have no other problems. You would think that Call of Duty United Offensive, UT 2004, and other new releases would have issues with 321 if in-fact it was the problem, yet I've installed these without a hitch. You can't tell me EA, Activision, Atari and others are behind the times on protection of their software.
It's 4AM, I'll try it after some sleep.

gleejon
22nd Sep 2004, 16:15
I didn't think the 321 Studio's software was the problem!!
I uninstalled it today, rebooted the computer, ran Norton Systems Works to check for leftovers, defragmented. The same problem still exists. The game will install, but will not play.
After removing 321 and rebooting, and trying the game, I removed it and rebooted and reinstalled it, with the DVD rom (not the burner) and same 'ol, same 'ol, crap.

jaywalker2309
22nd Sep 2004, 16:21
Have had a long day...

If it was a universal issue with the game, then NO one would be able to play it.. so that is why when individual issues arise its almost always something on the users machine, as i said, 9 times out of 10 its something the user doesn't even REALISE is there.

Ok, so its not 321 software, do you have any other cloning software etc.

If you right click on the exe, and perform the launch analysis and sent that into me i could tell you exactly what is causing the problem.. Amazingly when i tell this to people only 50% actually respond.

Beerbrewer
22nd Sep 2004, 20:15
I spoke with Eidos today. They state that it may be a corrupt file ON THE DISK! I was given a return authorization number and am mailing it out tomorrow for replacement. I think there may be an issue with RW drive corrupting the file inadvertantly (Just a theory) and not recognizing it from the get-go.

Beerbrewer
22nd Sep 2004, 20:18
I would love to analyse the file for you but there is no analyseoption on my machine when I right click the file

jaywalker2309
22nd Sep 2004, 20:38
I would love to analyse the file for you but there is no analyseoption on my machine when I right click the file

Thats kind of worrying.. even when game is not installed it should have `launch analysis` option attached to it.

I dont know how a RW drive could affect a DVD ROM (read only), but there ya go :)

Beerbrewer
23rd Sep 2004, 04:01
Could the differance be from the UK & US versions? *Slap* Theres one for you Sister Mary Margaret!!!

gleejon
23rd Sep 2004, 05:39
Tell me the exact proceedure I must follow to send you the tests, I'll reinstall the game one more time, and gladly send it to you.
I'll make sure I'm one of the other 50%

jaywalker2309
23rd Sep 2004, 08:01
Could the differance be from the UK & US versions? *Slap* Theres one for you Sister Mary Margaret!!!

Unslaps self, there aint any difference :P

jaywalker2309
23rd Sep 2004, 08:03
Tell me the exact proceedure I must follow to send you the tests, I'll reinstall the game one more time, and gladly send it to you.
I'll make sure I'm one of the other 50%

Cool,

Right,

Install game, goto installation folder and right click on the exe, aside from run etc, there will be an option to `launch analysis`.. Select this (with disc in drive). Let it run its tests, and it will provide on screen prompts to you about what its doing etc.

When its finished it outputs a file into the root of C (usually).. Zip this file up and PM me and i'll give you my email address so you can send it in for me to analyse.

-Jason

gleejon
23rd Sep 2004, 19:27
OK, I got it, seems easy enough, and probably I will be able to reinstall it, run the diag., Zip it and send it before I go, but if I don't reply for several days, we have another damn hurricane comming :( (*This makes #4 in one month*)
We were hit by the first two out of three...fortunately Ivan(the last one) missed central FL, but ripped up the panhandle and gulf area really bad. That storm made a loop, and has been trying to reform and is crossing FL again as a heavy wind and rain storm, increasing damage.
Now we have Jeanne making a B-line towards the central FL area.....AGAIN :rolleyes: Supposed to make landfall by Sunday, so the madness starts today....again :confused:

jaywalker2309
23rd Sep 2004, 23:37
OK, I got it, seems easy enough, and probably I will be able to reinstall it, run the diag., Zip it and send it before I go, but if I don't reply for several days, we have another damn hurricane comming :( (*This makes #4 in one month*)
We were hit by the first two out of three...fortunately Ivan(the last one) missed central FL, but ripped up the panhandle and gulf area really bad. That storm made a loop, and has been trying to reform and is crossing FL again as a heavy wind and rain storm, increasing damage.
Now we have Jeanne making a B-line towards the central FL area.....AGAIN :rolleyes: Supposed to make landfall by Sunday, so the madness starts today....again :confused:

I got a villa in orlando, its been minorly damaged nothing bad really.

gleejon
25th Sep 2004, 05:14
Bet you thought you weren't gonna hear from me again, but for some strange reason, after installing, uninstalling, reinstalling, etc. and even after putting 321 software back in again, when I installed it this time, it works :confused: :confused: :confused: It has me baffled, cause I tried installing it after removing the 321 software, and it did the same as in the beginning, it would install, but not load and play. So, I put my 321 software back in and tested the 321 program to make sure it worked. Then I installed ShellShock again figuring if it was anything to do with the 321 program, that test would pick it up.
So, now, without any changes, for some reason, it works. Well unfortunately, I don't have much time to play it, the hurricane is due to hit in the early AM hours Sunday.
Thanks for putting up with me. Say a prayer for Florida :rolleyes:

jaywalker2309
26th Sep 2004, 21:25
Bet you thought you weren't gonna hear from me again, but for some strange reason, after installing, uninstalling, reinstalling, etc. and even after putting 321 software back in again, when I installed it this time, it works :confused: :confused: :confused: It has me baffled, cause I tried installing it after removing the 321 software, and it did the same as in the beginning, it would install, but not load and play. So, I put my 321 software back in and tested the 321 program to make sure it worked. Then I installed ShellShock again figuring if it was anything to do with the 321 program, that test would pick it up.
So, now, without any changes, for some reason, it works. Well unfortunately, I don't have much time to play it, the hurricane is due to hit in the early AM hours Sunday.
Thanks for putting up with me. Say a prayer for Florida :rolleyes:

No worries at all, hope things weren't too bad with Jeanne..

If ya anywhere near to the I4 and the 192 u couldn't pop and have a look at my villa to see if its still standing could ya? ;)

gleejon
26th Sep 2004, 22:18
It was a rather tense 14hrs, cause I got stuck. All the hotels/motels were booked full with out of state disaster crews and the special needs shelters (I have a cat) were full by the time I started looking.
The storm wasn't actually that bad here in Orlando, probably sustained winds of about 80 with some higher gusts, it's just a little hairy doing it in an RV. We're still having 50 - 60 MPH gusts now (6PM EST) I live near UCF - highway 50 and Alafaya Trail (408?). Your villa is down near Oldtown? or Kissimmee? (I spent 6 days in the Day's Suites in Oldtown 5800 W. 192 during Francis)
The storm was about the same there as here, so if my RV held up and didn't turn over :p your villa is probably just fine. The damage around there and here was minimum. A few downed trees, power lines, traffic lights and trailers got the most damage. What is gonna happen in a few days is flooding all along the St Johns river basin, and low lying areas, so I hope you're on high ground :)