PDA

View Full Version : Loading Theif 3 on Windows XP Home version

drjazz
18th Sep 2004, 08:19
I have a laptop with sufficent specs to at least run Theif 3 on a minimal level. It can run Doom 3 (not the greatest game by any measure).

I know that the box says "Laptops not supported" and I have done my research.

I know that some people have had success with their laptop computers.

The information that I am seeking is:

How does one get past the Windows XP messge that "says Laptop computers are not supported"

I have tried to load this program and the installer quits after the message.

Could some of you who are running Theif 3 on a laptop share your insights?

thanks

Alan W
18th Sep 2004, 10:22
I didn't get an installer message saying 'laptops not supported'. This is a new one on me. Maybe it's telling you that you graphics chipset isn't supported. You can run 'dxdiag' from the command prompt to see what it is.

The main laptop issues are:

1. Graphics chipset: The ATI Mobility 9000, 9200, 9600 series work, although from the problems experienced by 'corpdog' the 9000 IGP variant needs a third party graphics driver (http://www.omegadrivers.net/).

2. Speedup/Slowdown problems: A smaller number of people have had this. I believe that this is due to the variable clocking speeds used in some laptops so as to maximise battery life.

drjazz
18th Sep 2004, 13:39
I read your reply, thanks.

I think that I may have hardware issues -

My video card is a ATI Mobility Radeon 7000.

Everything else should be OK.

I suppose there is always the try and try again until I have exhausted all the options.

Quillan
18th Sep 2004, 14:39
Yes, your video card is the problem. Mobility Radeon 7000 is based upon the 7000 series Radeon cards, which are DirectX 7 chipsets. This game requires a DirectX 8 video card, since pixel shaders are a non-optional feature. Doom 3 has shaders, but it will run without them, just not looking quite as good. Far Cry was the same thing. In T3, pixel shaders are mandatory, since they used it for the light/shadow calculations.

drjazz
19th Sep 2004, 02:38
Thank you for your intelligent and useful reply.

Some of the replies on the the ION Storm forum are ridculous and idiotic,
it makes you wonder . . . .