PDA

View Full Version : Dissapointing console port

omnithought
16th Sep 2004, 21:47
I've been waiting for this game ever since Eidos decided to postpone release for "timely" (financial) reasons.
I was hoping for grit, realism, and action on par with Call of Duty.

Instead I got what played like your average PS2 game with a bit of mature content thrown in. It's like trying to make Marshmallow Peeps more interesting by adding a bit of spice.

I will give credit for atmosphere. The lingo, the music, and the terrain look somewhat decent, even if the polygons on the flora are huge. (The bananas on the banana trees are barely recognizeable as such).

I think it's worth about the price of an expansion pack, but not a full game. It may be passable on a console, but the PC release is very wanting. It's obviously made for consoles, not the PC. Should've ported it the other way around, or just make two versions like the Medal of Honor games.

I was thinking my character would have to run for his life, not be able to stay in the same place and pick off VC as they repeatedly spawn from the same place and follow predictable patterns, charging out into the open with barely any AI. It makes for a zero immersion factor.

This game's strongest feature is that it makes me look forward to Men of Valor more than ever.

ACEofSPADES87
17th Sep 2004, 00:10
Originally posted by omnithought
I've been waiting for this game ever since Eidos decided to postpone release for "timely" (financial) reasons.
I was hoping for grit, realism, and action on par with Call of Duty.

Instead I got what played like your average PS2 game with a bit of mature content thrown in. It's like trying to make Marshmallow Peeps more interesting by adding a bit of spice.

I will give credit for atmosphere. The lingo, the music, and the terrain look somewhat decent, even if the polygons on the flora are huge. (The bananas on the banana trees are barely recognizeable as such).

I think it's worth about the price of an expansion pack, but not a full game. It may be passable on a console, but the PC release is very wanting. It's obviously made for consoles, not the PC. Should've ported it the other way around, or just make two versions like the Medal of Honor games.

I was thinking my character would have to run for his life, not be able to stay in the same place and pick off VC as they repeatedly spawn from the same place and follow predictable patterns, charging out into the open with barely any AI. It makes for a zero immersion factor.

This game's strongest feature is that it makes me look forward to Men of Valor more than ever.

lol. I agree with the Men of Valor thing. But Shellshock isn't that bad. I beat the game twice, then I just repeat the first 3 missions cause those are the best.

Also, they sell this game saying your character will grow and change. Yet all what happens is that he gets a fisherman's hat when he joins special forces.

ArTsKiLLaRy
17th Sep 2004, 00:16
Correction you get a fisherman hat, you seem alittle wiser..And the nurses love you...:)

ACEofSPADES87
17th Sep 2004, 00:24
Originally posted by ArTsKiLLaRy
Correction you get a fisherman hat, you seem alittle wiser..And the nurses love you...:)

lol oh ya. " Special forces guys are soo sexy" lol

AgentOrange_section8
17th Sep 2004, 09:03
Same with me on MOV thing

by the way how big is da base camp? is it as HUGE as everyone says it is? thanks

omnithought
17th Sep 2004, 12:12
I went to 'Nam and all I got was this lousy hat!