PDA

View Full Version : XP service pack 2/nam67:error: Autorun -Not able to find path.

mark-spark
12th Sep 2004, 14:40
Hi can anyone help please?

I have just updated to XP service pack 2 and now have a small problem with nam 67:

When i insert the disk the "shellshock autorun" screen comes up as normal. But now when i pick play i get the following message:

Autorun
error: Not able to find path.

If i pick the shortcut or the icon from the "start - programs" the game works fine. My autorun is enabled on all drives and norton is turned off when i play this game. The problem described above did not occur before service pack 2 and was working fine?

I think it is something very basic - like a shortcut link loosing its path? So appologies if i am being basic / stupid - but i would appreciate help as i dont really know what to do?

Thanks in advance.

mark-spark.

searry
12th Sep 2004, 15:09
Have you tried re-installing the game?

mark-spark
12th Sep 2004, 15:22
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I havent re-installed it since service pack 2 - i didnt bother as all my other games are ok - but i will now re-install as suggested and get back to you to let you know how i got on......

Thanks.

mark-spark

mark-spark
12th Sep 2004, 15:52
Just re-installed the game and it still comes up with the error message?

jaywalker2309
14th Sep 2004, 15:44
Originally posted by mark-spark
Hi can anyone help please?

I have just updated to XP service pack 2 and now have a small problem with nam 67:

When i insert the disk the "shellshock autorun" screen comes up as normal. But now when i pick play i get the following message:

Autorun
error: Not able to find path.

If i pick the shortcut or the icon from the "start - programs" the game works fine. My autorun is enabled on all drives and norton is turned off when i play this game. The problem described above did not occur before service pack 2 and was working fine?

I think it is something very basic - like a shortcut link loosing its path? So appologies if i am being basic / stupid - but i would appreciate help as i dont really know what to do?

Thanks in advance.

mark-spark.

The autorun uses the registry to find the path to run the game, whereas the shortcuts on the start button are hardcoded by the installer. I can only assume that somehow your registry has gotten confused. Simply reinstalling probably wouldn't clear the messed up entry.

If you want it fixing then i'd suggest uninstall completely.. The play button will say install again (if it DOESN'T then its definitely your registry thats kept the information and u'd have to run regedit to find the entry and delete it - search for shellshock)

mark-spark
14th Sep 2004, 20:08
Thanks for the reply,

thats sounds like it could be it - it was wierd, because after un-installing, my original game saves and profile were still there.

I will try installing it again from the autorun button. If that doesnt work i will have a look at the regedit and let you know how i get on.

Cheers

mark-spark
14th Sep 2004, 20:23
Hi agian,

the autoplay does not have install, so i had a look in the regedit and found two references:

hkey_current_user - software - microsoft - directinput - mostrecentapplication:

id reg_sz shellshock_nam67.exe40ed14bf00547000

name reg_sz shellshock_nam67.exe

I didnt delete these because i wanted to make sure first - are these the only two that i should delete or are there more? there is no folder for this game, unlike my other games which have folders in the regedit?

Thanks

jaywalker2309
14th Sep 2004, 21:13
Hi agian,

the autoplay does not have install, so i had a look in the regedit and found two references:

hkey_current_user - software - microsoft - directinput - mostrecentapplication:

id reg_sz shellshock_nam67.exe40ed14bf00547000

name reg_sz shellshock_nam67.exe

I didnt delete these because i wanted to make sure first - are these the only two that i should delete or are there more? there is no folder for this game, unlike my other games which have folders in the regedit?

Thanks

is that it? hmm was sure the entry was something else.. Will double check for you when i get back in office in the morning.

It does sound like that is the cause :)

Gustlock
15th Sep 2004, 16:02
Just bought the game and when I try to install it opens up an installer for Logitech Itouch?!?!?!?! Can't get around it. Very strange.

Jumpin_Jebus
15th Sep 2004, 16:34
Hey Mark-Spark, I also get that error on Win XP SP 2. Probably something MS fudged up with the new service pack. I don't recall ever seeing this problem prior to install SP 2. I'm looking for a work-around as we speak. Should I find one, I'll post it here. :) Did you install the game to it's default directory or did you change it? If you changed it, did you install to a different Hard drive?

As for your problem Gustlock, I haven't a clue. Unless there was some error at the plant where the disks are burned, I don't see how logitech software could get on our disk. :confused: To my knowledge we don't have any affiliation with them. Try swapping it for another copy at the retail store. Let me/us know what happens.

Gustlock
15th Sep 2004, 17:42
Figured out that I could just manually install the game. it was the auto install that was trying to install logitech....weird. So I just opend the CD folder and clicked on the setup file. Everythings fine now.

Originally posted by Jumpin_Jebus
Hey Mark-Spark, I also get that error on Win XP SP 2. Probably something MS fudged up with the new service pack. I don't recall ever seeing this problem prior to install SP 2. I'm looking for a work-around as we speak. Should I find one, I'll post it here. :) Did you install the game to it's default directory or did you change it? If you changed it, did you install to a different Hard drive?

As for your problem Gustlock, I haven't a clue. Unless there was some error at the plant where the disks are burned, I don't see how logitech software could get on our disk. :confused: To my knowledge we don't have any affiliation with them. Try swapping it for another copy at the retail store. Let me/us know what happens.

mark-spark
15th Sep 2004, 19:50
Hi to you all, thanks for the replies.

jaycw2309:

I couldnt find anything else for shellshock in the registry other than those two i listed (i used the search tool in regedit to find those). That would be great if you can locate anything else for me....

Jumpin_Jebus:

Shellshock definately worked fine with the autoplay prior to xp sp2. But i can still play the game, but only if i cancel the autorun and start it up from the shortcut.

I didnt install into the default directory before and after the xp update - i like to keep things in one folder where i can keep a track of everything, this is where i installed it

C:\Mark's stuff\games\ShellShock_nam67

All of my games are stored here and they work fine, as did nam 67 before the update. I only have one hard drive in my pc with one whole partition....

Thanks for all of your help

mark-spark

Jumpin_Jebus
15th Sep 2004, 20:01
I have tried installing it to various different locations, and the error occurs on each one. Definitely a SP 2 problem. I'll let you know when I find out more.;)

mark-spark
15th Sep 2004, 21:48
Hi Jumpin_Jebus

This is realy strange and i thought it may be of some help to my nam 67 problem:

Windows automatic update has just downloaded and installed this:

816093: Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine (Microsoft VM)

(Note that I have also had a problem when starting the control panel and it not responding / hanging - this update seems to have fixed it).

Anyway, i tried nam 67 and it worked first time when the autorun came up, but after finishing playing the game i decided to try it again - but now the autorun / play is not working as described.

Very strange?

jaywalker2309
15th Sep 2004, 22:04
Hi Jumpin_Jebus

This is realy strange and i thought it may be of some help to my nam 67 problem:

Windows automatic update has just downloaded and installed this:

816093: Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine (Microsoft VM)

(Note that I have also had a problem when starting the control panel and it not responding / hanging - this update seems to have fixed it).

Anyway, i tried nam 67 and it worked first time when the autorun came up, but after finishing playing the game i decided to try it again - but now the autorun / play is not working as described.

Very strange?

Definitely very strange.. I have no problems with my SP2 machine and the autorun.

systek
17th Sep 2004, 21:43
Originally posted by Jumpin_Jebus
I have tried installing it to various different locations, and the error occurs on each one. Definitely a SP 2 problem. I'll let you know when I find out more.;)

I have the same issue, installed it on my D: drive.
Although the shortcut runs fine.

While not wishing to point out the obvious, why doesn't everyone use the shortcut and let Eidos wonder about the Autoplay feature.

Just a thought.

d-2-502-101abn
21st Sep 2004, 15:04
I installed SS on a Win system running XP SP 2 without the problems mentioned above; the caveat being that I installed the game after the SP 2 install.

And yes, as Elmer Fudd would say: be vewy, vewy caweful messing with the wegistry.

Back up via export any hives you want to delete.

This may not entirely be an XP2 problem, see this thread (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45276) for a similar install woe (though the poster does not mention what service pack of Windows they have installed).

Take point troop and don't get yourself waxed to the max. Geronimo. -- d2

knothead
30th Sep 2004, 22:56
Just re-installed the game and it still comes up with the error message?

I was dumb enough to update to sp2 and ended up reformatting the drive as it seems to throw out any or all drivers and system files it doe not like.. You have the system restore option and that'll roll back to the point before she was installed. But under any case "DO NOT" use the uninstall feature as you will reformat yers too... sorry but thats good ole MICROSOFT give em about 6 to 9 months to get the bugs worked out of her then maybe ya can try it again as for me I am happy with SP1 with updates... TATATATA sorry again...........the knothead :eek: