PDA

View Full Version : a GREAT example of the NVA using their enviorment!

AgentOrange_section8
11th Sep 2004, 07:39
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/919861_20040910_screen004.jpg

look at those NVA troops using their enviorment to take cover just like they did in Nam!! this is so great!! :rolleyes: :p

AgentOrange_section8
11th Sep 2004, 07:40
well hey at least the G.I.s fire from the shoulder

AgentOrange_section8
11th Sep 2004, 07:42
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/screen0/919862_20040908_screen005.jpg

"Whats up bro...hows the kids?"

lol

TheBlaza
12th Sep 2004, 04:07
NOT ALL NVA or VC used cover..just most.

AgentOrange_section8
12th Sep 2004, 09:02
^^^ do you even know what your talking about son? The NVA and VC were the masters of using their enviorment to conceal themselves. The times they didnt...I've never read about any time they didnt! jesus

MadMedic
12th Sep 2004, 17:15
There are however plenty of historical examples where the NVA went out in the open and used nothing less than WO1 storming infantry tactics, especially if they found a target they know they would be able to overrun.....

The attack of the special forces camp at Lang Vei was a prime example of the NVA using light infantry and even armour tactics to attack a US target.

In that respect the NVA was a very versatile force capable of using both light infantry as full scale attacks.

Also, the reputation of the NVA as night fighters was greatly overrated. Since their diet was mostly rice and fish they lacked certain vitamines in their diet that are necessary for the eyes to enhance natural nightvision. It was not too uncommon that the NVA walked the trail using torches...

The NorthVietnamese we're a force to be reckoned with but like their US opponents no superheroes......

disclaimer I never did nor never claimed to have fought in the Vietnam war nor any war. I'm just a enthousiast student of that particular was and interested in both sides...

ACEofSPADES87
12th Sep 2004, 18:33
Originally posted by MadMedic
There are however plenty of historical examples where the NVA went out in the open and used nothing less than WO1 storming infantry tactics, especially if they found a target they know they would be able to overrun.....

The attack of the special forces camp at Lang Vei was a prime example of the NVA using light infantry and even armour tactics to attack a US target.

In that respect the NVA was a very versatile force capable of using both light infantry as full scale attacks.

Also, the reputation of the NVA as night fighters was greatly overrated. Since their diet was mostly rice and fish they lacked certain vitamines in their diet that are necessary for the eyes to enhance natural nightvision. It was not too uncommon that the NVA walked the trail using torches...

The NorthVietnamese we're a force to be reckoned with but like their US opponents no superheroes......

disclaimer I never did nor never claimed to have fought in the Vietnam war nor any war. I'm just a enthousiast student of that particular was and interested in both sides...

yes your right. But this is 1967. The VC and NVA never tried to come out in overun the US and ARVN until during the Tet Offensive ( except Ia Drang when U.S. where heavily out numbered), fortunately the tet offensive failed. That was 1968. It was very rare that the VC and NVA would be out in the open like that. Yes that did happen, but very rarely, like you said...when they knew they can over run opposing forces.

It's just that it's frustrating to see the A.I. not being up to par as other military games.

MadMedic
12th Sep 2004, 20:09
You definitely have a point there, the AI in this game is treated like they are ready to overrun the south and park a tank in the presidential palace.

But I also believe, and correct if I am historically mistaken, that '67 was the turning point in the war. And also the year where the NVA came out in the conflict more and more and the role of the VC as a fighting force was seconded. After Tet the VC as a fighting force seized to exist effectively.

So the game leaves a lot to be desired in that respect I agree, it's still playable and at Hard level I'm still having a great blast at it.

ACEofSPADES87
13th Sep 2004, 01:31
Ya this game is still plenty fun. Can hold me over till COD:UO,BIA, and MOV. come out later this year.

ArTsKiLLaRy
13th Sep 2004, 20:37
Man....LoL that reminds me of the civil war... Lets all bunch up and charge!!! Thatz not NAM for you..In the real NAM you couldn't see VC 10 feet infront of you, unless you were sharp...They actually used bushes to cover there hats, and you couldn't tell till it was too late...Thatz cheap...1 nade could of taken out that whole squad,The NVA/VC are masters of Guerilla Warfare, The people of Guerilla should of known that! Also VC doesn't always charge, they shoot and run...They try and lead you...They just dont stand there!

TheBlaza
13th Sep 2004, 21:18
Not every battle in NAM were in complete darkness or jungle..there were battles OUT IN THE OPEN in rice paddies and fields..and the amount of VC in the open covered up a lot of space...But you would only find VC in the open if they were attacking..ambushing..or even retreating.

ACEofSPADES87
13th Sep 2004, 21:24
yes...but in this case it's 5 NVA running at you in the open.

TheBlaza
13th Sep 2004, 22:08
Scary..

Hitman47
13th Sep 2004, 22:26
tomorrows the big day fellas. were shipping out to give charlie and his brethren hell!!!!! DOOM ON YOU CHARLIE!!!

ArTsKiLLaRy
14th Sep 2004, 00:31
Saddle-Up, Lock-and-Load.....The Final Countdown...6 hours 29 mins...

Boston Strangler
14th Sep 2004, 04:28
man that first picture is dissapointing.
the bunker looks ill too.. is that gameplay that blown off head?

Hitman47
14th Sep 2004, 04:38
imagine what thats like.... your in a huey at sunrise riding in w/ your fellow soldiers when all of a sudden- CONTACT RIGHT!!!! CONTACT RIGHT!!!! **** WE CANT TOUCH DOWN FELLAS GOTTA JUMP!! then you cant hear anything but the casings from the side m60 hitting the floor of the huey- GO GO GO!!! - Welcome to Nam

AgentOrange_section8
14th Sep 2004, 06:55
then you feel something warm come outta nowhere in your pants and your like "Doc!!! Doc!! im hit!! jesus im hit!!!" and then he rips open your pants and you've got s*** all over yourself because you crapped your pants- Welcome to the Nam'