PDA

View Full Version : My mini-review of Shellshock, mods feel free to read!

Earth657
6th Sep 2004, 20:32
Ok, got the game, and here is my mini review!

The game is in 3rd person, ok.. i feel this was great mistake, as it makes you kinda of a outsider which isnt a good thing when you are supposed to experience the war! But i suppose many people like the view, as it is a change to the overwealming WW2, Vietnam war games..

One of the first things i noticed, was that although you are surrounded by sometimes big enviroments, there are usually just one place to go, and just one way to get there, and it gets rather stupid when ledges around 30cm high are impossible to cross!

Eidos has been saying that Shellshock is supposed to view the war through the soldiers eyes, and in my opnion, they have failed!

The guys on your team can never die, the player can take tremendous ammounts of damage which almost removes all aspects of the need for tactical play as you might just as well run`n gun all the way, rambo style!

I got the "dramatic" feeling that ive gotten in other games like Vietcong and Call Of Duty, its just rather plain and well... bad in my opnion!

The graphics are medi-core, the sound is rather nice, some cool music, but nothing expeptional on the visual\audio sides, nice cinematics though.

However, it all gets to stupid when you and your imortal teammates gun down hoardes of hostiles like flies.

the A.I are nothing to phone home about either, objectives like "follow your Lnt." doesnt work as you always have to lead the whole team anyways. And while spraying your bullets against the army of enemies closing in on you, your loyal teammates doesnt mind just running right infront of you, but really, it doesnt matter, when they get hit they just sit down and moan a few seconds, and then up and partying as if nothing had ever happened.

But then its great to know that your enemies are just as bread in their heads as your teammates, although they do use cover from time to time, they dont really react properly to grenades and such.

However, this game still has some things going for it, it does tell another story, about the cruelties of war, about not always doing what is right, however the player never gets totally imersed in this untold story in the game.

The game has potential, but it is badly made, and im afraid its un-installed from my system..

CKY1709
6th Sep 2004, 22:00
You said you and your friendlies gun down huge masses of enemies which did happen alot in vietnam. The U.S. at times would just massacare the nva and vc. The U.S. was almost always out numbered too. But i think that its better to fight alot of enemies than a smaller amount in a game. It might not be realistic but what war game is... Which war game do you actually get hit just once and die or get a medivac? I havent played any that are actually realistic in fighting. How ever through what i have seen in clips of this game, Atrocities and evilness of war are captured in this game, which the game was intended to do. Although i havent played this game yet, i would say they did a good job from what i can see... I'll post my own review when i get the game!:)

Hitman47
7th Sep 2004, 00:15
i appreciate your opinion and i will not take it lightly.

SgtSpecht1234
7th Sep 2004, 02:11
this game looks like it has great potenttial, i mean, it just depends on the player you could say, i mean like me, Im a military collecter, i collect stuff and i like the history of wars and countries from the 1920's, till about 1990, and i pay attention mostly to the Soviet Union, but i mean, this game looks really fun to play, i guess im trying to say, it just depends on the player

ACEofSPADES87
7th Sep 2004, 02:52
Originally posted by CKY1709
You said you and your friendlies gun down huge masses of enemies which did happen alot in vietnam. The U.S. at times would just massacare the nva and vc. The U.S. was almost always out numbered too. But i think that its better to fight alot of enemies than a smaller amount in a game.

that's not what he meant by "spraying enemies with bullets". He's saying the A.I. come out you in mindless swarms as you fire your weapon continuesly at the enemy. Like Duke Nukem went to Vietnam.

AgentOrange_section8
7th Sep 2004, 06:39
....:( ......man....oh well...im still buying it! lol..

That is really dissapointing though to hear all of that i mean i was expecting so much from this game! Hopefully it wont be as bad as this guy says it is and if it is, well... i'll make it fun lol well im out guys!
peace,
-justin

Jumpin_Jebus
7th Sep 2004, 21:11
Originally posted by Earth657
Ok, got the game, and here is my mini review!

...the player can take tremendous ammounts of damage which almost removes all aspects of the need for tactical play as you might just as well run`n gun all the way, rambo style!

First off, I do agree with you on this fact while playing in the easy difficulty level. However, I know from personal experience that playing through this game on the hardest difficulty has led many 'a tester to yank large handfulls of hair out by the roots. And not always their own hair! In the harder difficulty levels, the enemy's aim and tactics become much more precise and deadly. I remember while playing on the hardest setting, I would frequently get my head popped like a zit from an enemy sniper over 500 yards away. Try playing through it on hard, and tell me the game is too easy. :rolleyes:

Not raggin' on you, but I know I had one hell of a time with it.

Anywhoo, thats my two cents...

~Jebus

Hitman47
8th Sep 2004, 00:05
from what ive read here, when i get in on XBOX (notice i didnt say pc:p ) im gonna go straight into the hardest difficulty, as a matter if fact, i pledge from tis day foward to put every game i get on the hardest difficulty the first time i play it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:
this way the replay value will be higher since it will take me longer to beat it and itll add more of an arcade feel to it which is also good cuz then i can charge money for ppl to play it :-x j/k. 1 week and counting.

CKY1709
8th Sep 2004, 01:24
hell yeah me too hardest setting first... thats what i do on all games..... except for halo i cant beat it on legendary alone... im stuck on the last mission
:mad:

Clumsyorchid
8th Sep 2004, 01:31
Not sure if it's been suggested, but when I first played the game I too thought I could sustain a lot of damage in the game. I soon realized that when the yellow arrow appeared during combat it was only showing the player where the actual fire was coming from. And JJ is right on, having done playthrough many a test run, the Hardest difficulty is no cake walk. There are sections that will be replayed, death will come for you.

SgtSpecht1234
8th Sep 2004, 02:24
Man...everyone is just agging me on to play it more.....only about 6 days...