PDA

View Full Version : how do i disarm trap on the pc version

RePo
6th Sep 2004, 14:41
hello, well i guess the headline says it all!! how do i do when i shall disarm a boby trap??

// RePo

Hobbit
6th Sep 2004, 14:50
You have to sue the arrow keys, there is a picture with a start and a finish and some lines in between.

it looks like this for instance

I -- --
I I

when you start on the left bottom, you press:

arrow key up, arrow key up, arrow key right, arrow key right, arrow key down

EDIT; dang the spaces are auto deleted grrr so my example does't work.

Well just use the arrow keys!

RoyalMarineCommando
3rd Oct 2004, 17:29
Ive not been able to dis-arm one yet - always run out of time.

It hardly matters though - the grenade blows up in your face, and then after 10 seconds or so, you re-gain full energy anyway, so whats the point? :rolleyes:

d-2-502-101abn
4th Oct 2004, 03:31
The problem seems (at least in my case), that the arrow keys don't function properly (using the arrow keys or the numeric keypad ones with NUMLOCK on) ... it only is an aggravation in the "stealth" mission, otherwise it is as you say: kaboom ... wait a bit and everything's ok (except for the stakes through the chest, you do have to low-crawl under those).

Take point troop and don't get yourself waxed to the max. Geronimo. -- d2

richg67
11th Oct 2004, 13:45
practise practise practise

All that happens when it goes off is you get shell shocked. You don't get any actual damage. Just kick back a bit and get you shock level down and no harm done. The timer goes faster when you change the level of difficulty so get used to getting shell shocked.

d-2-502-101abn
11th Oct 2004, 14:14
Can't practice if the interface doesn't navigate.

lol ... and there are folks who would say I'm already shell-shocked anyway.

I suppose Eidos wanted to capture the tension of dealing with boobytraps; which is an admirable design goal, but the interface just doesn't seem to quite reach that lofty plateau.

richg67
11th Oct 2004, 14:59
I posted the answer in hints help and cheats.

jaywalker2309
11th Oct 2004, 15:28
Originally posted by richg67
practise practise practise

All that happens when it goes off is you get shell shocked. You don't get any actual damage. Just kick back a bit and get you shock level down and no harm done. The timer goes faster when you change the level of difficulty so get used to getting shell shocked.

Hmm thought if ya low on health it would actually kill you.

cooljay1804
11th Oct 2004, 16:36
I've had them take me from green all the way to dark yellow and red

leftnutrzr
11th Oct 2004, 20:32
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45813

look for the post by me about half way down ... :D

edit:
hobbit use the code tags and you'll be good to do ascii art :D

richg67
12th Oct 2004, 09:02
How to disarm traps

I will attempt to simplify this.

Here is a trap map.

http://img28.exs.cx/img28/408/trapmap.jpg

It is a bit confusing at first look as to which arrows are supposed to be done first. Your starting point is the red X and your ending point is the check mark. First of all you are to follow the sequence of arrows from begining to end. The arrows are represented by grey dashes with a red tip. The red tip represents the tip of the arrow and the direction it is pointing.

This sequence would be:
DOWN DOWN DOWN RIGHT UP RIGHT DOWN RIGHT UP UP LEFT UP RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT DOWN LEFT DOWN.

If you make a mistake the screen will flash and you will have to start from the begining while the clock still tics.
I have managed to finish after a mistake but only because the mistake was early. The speed rhythm that this needs to be done is similar to inputing a cheat code. The hardest part is deciphering the 'trap map'. After a few tries you should get the hang of it and perhaps even look forward to the next one.

d-2-502-101abn
12th Oct 2004, 13:38
Finally got it to work: my problem was in key sensitivity ... just needed to press harder/longer on the arrow keys. Thanks for everyone's input in helping me along the trail of solving this boobytrap dilemma.

Closest I came to one was about 3 inches. Stopped and alerted while on patrol, after my brain said Whoa, something's wrong here. Went into a squat and puzzled out the foliage around me, and there not more than a few inches in front of my foot was the trip wire. One more step would have been fatal. What had triggered my subconscious was seeing a leaf out of place (its underside had been turned outward and the coloring/texture was wrong compared to the other leaves).

Just an example of the "hyperdrive" you were on: the senses were hyper-active, subconciously if not conciously and you were always advized to listen to that inner voice that said Something's wrong.

richg67
12th Oct 2004, 14:10
I noticed today that when aiming you crosshair at a trap the center turns red. The whole trap thing could've been better IMO. Just making the sign more subtle (i.e.,'turned leaf' as D2 mentioned) would've sufficed.

As for real traps...well...I've heard some doozies. But my friend STILL won't tell me what the enemy did with 'Jeep Springs'!?!

d-2-502-101abn
12th Oct 2004, 22:56
A tension-type trap more than likely, the torque in the axle springs are trememdous and would pack quite a wallop when unleashed. Imagine it was combined with some sort of stake device to impale the unsuspecting on.

richg67
13th Oct 2004, 08:39
Owwee

He said some VC used the local animals too. Like stringing up a water mocasin along a trail so would bite ya.
KWAZY WABBIT!