PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider fan-fiction?

BigJimUK
5th Sep 2004, 22:55
Is there a section to this forum where people can post fan-fiction of the Tomb Raider series? I just ask because I enjoy writing and a TR f-f is something I've not done before.

John Carter
6th Sep 2004, 01:16
Well Big Jim, there is no section for fanfic, but don't let that stop you from posting it right here anyway. If there aren't enough free mbs on the Eidos server raid arrays, I'll buy em another hard drive. The question has been asked before and it can't hurt to ask again.

Matter of fact, the archive folder is a great place to put it, post it here I'll move it there.

If you visit many of the sites run by the posters here, you'll find fanfic at laracroftonline, tombraiderchronicles (one of the few places to find Tim Radley's stuff), and many more I have forgotten or haven't seen myself.

Looking forward to your first work. :)

BigJimUK
6th Sep 2004, 02:26
... who's Tim Radley?

John Carter
6th Sep 2004, 05:15
One of my favorite TR fanfic authors. UK dude like yourself, you can find his collection on www.fanfiction.net.
(when its working, that is)

Invincible
6th Sep 2004, 07:10
I think it doesn't work because of the dot at the end ;)
I clicked this (http://www.fanfiction.net) and it works fine.

Anyways, Jim,show us your stuff,having ability to write stories,a good stories,is a gift if you ask me, and if you write good don't let it pass you.

I readSpringtime in Paris (http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/fiction/springtime/chapter1.html) of Tim Radley's and it's a good story. It has its humour and I always loved that when reading stuff.

I also readFirst Obfuscation (http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/fiction/thefirstobfuscation/chapter1.html) by John Carter, it was very interesting and good.
It's authors description of what happened to Lara after tomb collapsed on her. It was a good read, I didn't like the epilogue though.

BigJimUK
6th Sep 2004, 13:05
Thanks guys, I'll be sure to check it out.

Have to think of a plot for Lara now. Not gonna be easy to plumb depths zillions of others already havn't.

L Croft
6th Sep 2004, 15:57
if anyone wants to submit fan ficition to my site you can here (http://www.funkylydia.com/fanfiction.html) .

TheBoo
6th Sep 2004, 19:41
JC, just read First Obfuscation..........ehhhh, quite a little twist at the end! Are you gonna expand on it?

John Carter
7th Sep 2004, 02:00
Hey Boo, no, wasn't planning on it. Wrote it about three years ago for a competion, it managed to come in 3d out not so many entries, I think. Still have to finish the first one I started. Trying to do a professional coorespondence course right now, so probably won't be writing anything anytime soon.

Think it bears expanding?

Did you give that latest TR book, "The Lost Cult", a read?

I thought it was very good, particularly in the area of gameworld backstory accuracy and Lara's character development. Always been a sucker for Lovecraft's hideous beasties, too.

BigJimUK
7th Sep 2004, 11:30
A book? Does that mean there are stories that have actually been published about Lara Croft? Anyone got a list of them? :)

TheBoo
7th Sep 2004, 12:42
Originally posted by John Carter
Think it bears expanding?
Yes, I do. You could expand on the mysterious force or forces behind the twisting of Jean-Yves's figurative arm.....betraying Lara like that. You would have unlimited scope in developing who that force is and what the purpose might be.

Did you give that latest TR book, "The Lost Cult", a read?
Sadly, my reading time is extremely limited. It's all I can do to check in here every day or so.

Dino
7th Sep 2004, 13:55
Originally posted by TheBoo
Yes, I do. You could expand on the mysterious force or forces behind the twisting of Jean-Yves's figurative arm.....betraying Lara like that. You would have unlimited scope in developing who that force is and what the purpose might be.
John Carter:

I also read your story The First Obfuscation and I agree with TheBoo. We need that loose end about Jean-Yves' betrayal explained.

At the very least Jean-Yves could have confided in Lara secure in the knowledge that pixels don't talk.

BigJimUK:

There are two official Tomb Raider books:

The Amulet of Power by Mike Resnick December 2003
The Lost Cult by E. E. Knight August 2004

Del Ray Books
Published by the Random House Publishing Group
Copyright (C) 2003, 2004 by Core Design Limited

Invincible
8th Sep 2004, 06:22
About those 2 books
Not very Lara Crofty if you ask me
Yes,I own them both.

JimUk, there are numerous writers books on Lara by basically just talking about character and Tomb Raider games. Some of them are good, some others mostly based on author's either poor description or just his own description. ;)

BigJimUK
8th Sep 2004, 13:10
So basically what we're saying is that writers will little or no talent have "bummed a lift" off of Lara in the hope it'll boost their flagging careers?

Invincible
9th Sep 2004, 03:35
I'm not sure about the career thing, but you should deffinately read Amulet of Power, and get in the line of dissapointed.

It was interestting read though..but since it's a Tomb Raider Lara Croft story,they should've at least tryed to get something right.