PDA

View Full Version : OPM Reviews SS Nam'67

HiddenDeath
2nd Sep 2004, 22:00
I hope its better than they make it to be.... Offical Playstation Magazine gave ShellShock Nam'67 a 2 out of 5

Read it here.... (http://img1.uploadimages.net/14959509-02-2004_05;17;41PM.JPG)

TheBlaza
2nd Sep 2004, 22:58
I use that magazine to wipe my ass.

Dizzy19
2nd Sep 2004, 23:12
Scores for Shellshock from some UK magazines

UK Official Playstation 2 Magazine 8/10
UK Official Xbox Magazine 8.2/10
Playstation World 8/10
Games TM Magazine 7/10

HiddenDeath
3rd Sep 2004, 12:06
I got the magazine for the Demo Disc ( Ace Combat 5 and Star Wars Battlefront mainly) and next month there will be a Playable demo of Metal Gear Solid 3 :D

ACEofSPADES87
3rd Sep 2004, 16:26
the link is broken:(

ACEofSPADES87
3rd Sep 2004, 16:26

ACEofSPADES87
3rd Sep 2004, 16:27

HiddenDeath
4th Sep 2004, 00:50
Fixed for now....

jaywalker2309
4th Sep 2004, 10:01
Originally posted by HiddenDeath
I hope its better than they make it to be.... Offical Playstation Magazine gave ShellShock Nam'67 a 2 out of 5

Read it here.... (http://img1.uploadimages.net/14959509-02-2004_05;17;41PM.JPG)

Hmm so OPM US gives it 2/5, yet everyone else gives it roughly double that.. From the write up i'd say the guy was only gonna be happy if the game was a GTA style go wherever you like type game. He makes no mention of the variety of levels, from towns, villages, to jungle.

Ahh well, his loss, will let you guys decide the real deal on the game :)

CKY1709
4th Sep 2004, 14:36
yeah if i can wait until the 15th..... :mad: i want this game soo damn bad!! haha this is rediculous.. ive never been so pumped for a game

HiddenDeath
4th Sep 2004, 15:31
yea, one guy reviewed Nascar Thunder 2005 and he gave it 5 discs(not my complaint), but in the cons list he wrote that it doesnt play like burnout 3... its a nascar game for crying out loud, of course its not gonna be like burnout3...

OneTimePost
4th Sep 2004, 16:51
I don't know, perhaps there's some market segment that actually likes these kind of simplistic dumbed downed console games but I would say 2 out of 5 sounds just about right.

After suffering through the first several levels of the full game I've uninstalled it and am will not be shelling out 50 bucks for it. (Yes I know it has not been released yet)

Now I mainly play MP games like Desert Combat etc etc...my poison of choice, but I love a good single player game but this doesn't come close to making the grade. I guess if you have played the demo and actually liked it then more power to you but if you're expecting a kick ass game with intense jungle fights and a great 'nam experience then forget it and go buy Battlefield Vietnam.

I'll sum the negatives:

- 3rd person view only. Just my personal preference but I don't care much for 3rd person games. IF it's a good game like the hitman series etc then I'll deal but with '67 it's just annoying. FPS gamers will not like this game.

- No real free movement. The levels are very linear and small. There's a very set path you have to follow for most, there's no sneaking around and crawling through the jungle etc. Very much the plod along the winding 'trail' and complete the objectives as they come up.

- Ye Ole Cone of fire. Like most games like this there's a cone of fire.. I.E. If center the crosshairs on someone head you'll be lucky to hit them 1 out of every 5 shots. The only exception seems to be the sniper rifle. You can't really sight down the barrel of the gun either. There's a 'bead down the barrel' toggle but you're just zoomed in a bit more to the side, not looking down the barrel.

- AI is about as smart as a bag of hammers. I was playing with the difficulty set to the highest setting, "Hard", and they will just walk right into fire, they don't seem to use cover much, if at all, and the times that they do it seems more that they are spawning behind cover so it at least makes it look like they're trying to be smart. That's just my guess.

You often end up facing a guy 20 feet away and you're both shooting at each other for a bit until you land enough shots from that cone of fire to take them down. On the first mission there were four or so of my guys standing about 20 feet away from the VC that keep coming from the 'tunnel' (If you can call them that) that they magically spawn from and they're just shooting at each other, no one taking cover that I recall. Of course I had to take all the VC out because my guys certainly were not doing it. I wonder if they made the AI like that so you would -have- to be the hero and take care of things yourself. In the end, with the moronic AI and the Cone of fire, it's easiest to just run up to the VC and shoot them at point blank range without too much worry about yourself, your health is high enough and there are enough health packs laying around that you can consider yourself superhuman.

- This is nit picky but it also shows the limitations of the game/engine/AI. The tunnels are something you would more likely find in the trenches of WWI. Six-seven feet tall , unconcealed, and fairly spacious unlike the cramped, tiny and well hidden tunnels of 'Nam.

- Graphics are iffy at best. The engine reminds me of a cross between quake2 and the Hitman1. Jungle is fairly pretty, if sparse, but that's pretty much all it is since you can't move through it. I think it reminds of Q2 because of the slightly washed out and drab look it has, but that may be intentional. Of course there is the distance 'fog' too, seems to be limited to 100m or so. All in all it's not spectacular and seems to me it's on par with a games that were released two or three years ago.

Wait for it to hit the $9.99 bargain bin folks unless you're a console only gamer and have never been a PC gamer. Console gamers, since they often don't know what they are missing, will probably think this game is great while PC gamers will be very dissapointed.

CKY1709
4th Sep 2004, 21:13
well i guess the game is better for consoles because from what i read everyone loves this game....

Clumsyorchid
5th Sep 2004, 00:13
After suffering through the first several levels of the full game I've uninstalled it and am will not be shelling out 50 bucks for it. (Yes I know it has not been released yet)

Ahh, so you pirated it, how nice.

SgtSpecht1234
5th Sep 2004, 02:14
Whoa slow down, maybe he's talking about the European version here, maybe he was saying it to us United states people, because it hasnt been released here yet