PDA

View Full Version : Transfering Files between two computers

Specter
29th Aug 2004, 17:35
Hello.

I recently bought a laptop in preparation for my leaving home for school. As the topic implys, all I want to do is establish some kind of connection between my desktop and laptop so I can transfer files, music, save-game files ect. My friend mentioned that he thought there was some kind of program that would allow me to connect the computers via a USB port. Does that program exist? If not, what should I do?

Clumsyorchid
29th Aug 2004, 17:49
I think you can use a crossover cable to connect one pc to the other. I bet you could also set up a network using a router and some cable. If you plan on doing something with USB, I would hope that it is USB 2.0 and not 1.1. Using 1.1 would take a long time. If firewire is an option, I would recommend using that as well.

Specter
29th Aug 2004, 19:16
Ok, thanks.
I dont know much about any of it, but I'll look up some documentation. Is there anything else you can tell me about these options? I think the cross-over cable sounds like the best option because I know I can get my buddy to make one for me. What would I do once the computers are connected? Am I creating a network, or is there a program I use for the transfer?

bravus
30th Aug 2004, 04:06
Hi Specter

If both machines are Windows XP, it's extremely simple to set up a network. Otherwise, it's only very simple! (And, if both are Mac OS X, it's not even an issue, it's so simple!) The crossover cable option should work really well. You need a Cat5e cable with RJ-45 connectors at each end, but wired as crossover - most you buy are wired for striaight through, and will only work through a router. You said your friend can make a crossover cable, and that sounds great.

Anyway, let us know what operating system(s) you're using on the two machines, and I can probably give you a step-by-step. That shgould work well for your purposes.

Specter
30th Aug 2004, 16:40
Thank you Bravus!

Both computers are indeed running Windows XP. Im glad its simple, anything else, and I would no doubt mess it up.

bravus
30th Aug 2004, 17:15
OK:

The first, crucial thing is to make sure that the two computers have different names but the same workgroup name.

To do that, go Start menu --> Settings --> Control Panel --> System and click on the 'Computer Name' tab. It will have a computer name and, further down the page, a workgroup name. If the latter is the same on both computers, leave it alone, if it's not, click 'Change' on one computer and make the workgroup names the same.

You could actually just plug in the crossover cable at this point and see whether the computers are seeing one another:

Double-click the 'My Computer' icon on the desktop. Choose 'My Network Places' and click 'view workgroup computers'. If you can see the other computer, you're in business!

If they're not seeing each other, to set up the actual network:

Start menu --> Settings --> Network connections --> Create a new connection (top left of the window)

This will open up a wizard

Click 'Next' --> choose 'Set up a home or small office network' --> click 'Next again --> then click 'Finish'

This will open another wizard

Click 'Next' twice --> select 'other' --> select 'this computer belongs to a network that doesn't have an internet connection'

OK, I can't step-by-step you beyond there without messing up my existing connections, and I want to avoid that! It should be pretty self-explanatory.

Specter
31st Aug 2004, 02:05
Spectacular! Thank you very much! My buddy will make me a crossover cable tomorrow (tuesday) evening, and I'll be following your steps shortly after. I'll let you know if I run into any difficulties. Thank you again!

Specter
7th Sep 2004, 16:07
Nevermind. Sorry.

Specter
7th Sep 2004, 21:48
I go into network places, then into "view workgroup computers" and I see my laptop, but when I click on it, it tells me that I cant access it, and that I should see if I have permission to access the files. How do I disable the security, since Im the one who set it up?