PDA

View Full Version : Dear God Let There Be Pause

langmann
26th Aug 2004, 22:33
One of the things about many Eidos Games is that there isn't always a pause button that allows you to enter commands while the game is paused. This was a huge frustration for me in the game Praetorians, its really hard to control a bunch of units simultaneously.

I hope that during the battles there is an ability to pause the game and enter moves for your troops. Otherwise for folks like me who like to think slow and plan carefully, this game will quickly be given up for more user friendly games such as the dreaded.... Total War series.

(Did I just say a naughty word/)

EmperorLoef
27th Aug 2004, 12:28
Originally posted by langmann
One of the things about many Eidos Games is that there isn't always a pause button that allows you to enter commands while the game is paused. This was a huge frustration for me in the game Praetorians, its really hard to control a bunch of units simultaneously.

I hope that during the battles there is an ability to pause the game and enter moves for your troops. Otherwise for folks like me who like to think slow and plan carefully, this game will quickly be given up for more user friendly games such as the dreaded.... Total War series.

(Did I just say a naughty word/)

Yes, dear Pyrostudios: you already have a minuspoint with the maximum 2.000 units on one battlemap/screen.. so, don't make more minuspoints and keep it at just one minuspoint.. so, please make a pluspoint for Imperial Glory by making it possible to give orders during pause also, thank you for listening.

sick
27th Aug 2004, 21:37
The map with the most units in Praetorians counts around 2500 units total (for those who have the game, check out "When All Hell Breaks Loose.") It wasn't the most fun map in the game. I liked others with much less units more. So you can't say that 2000 units as a maximum is a minuspoint.
I think the ability to pause the game and give orders to your troops will spoil the pleasure. If it's implemented I'm not going to use it. I like it when you have to react fast if you don't want to get slayed off. It gives a lot more satisfaction when you finish a mission with success.

EmperorLoef
27th Aug 2004, 22:03
Originally posted by sick
The map with the most units in Praetorians counts around 2500 units total (for those who have the game, check out "When All Hell Breaks Loose.") It wasn't the most fun map in the game. I liked others with much less units more. So you can't say that 2000 units as a maximum is a minuspoint.
I think the ability to pause the game and give orders to your troops will spoil the pleasure. If it's implemented I'm not going to use it. I like it when you have to react fast if you don't want to get slayed off. It gives a lot more satisfaction when you finish a mission with success.

First of all: how more units how more the fun, especialy when it's about the Napoleonic period.

Secondly, you must be kidding me.. look, not all gamers have the fast and the furious reaction like you, so Pyrostudios should not only make your kind of gamers happy but also my kind of gamers happy: the slow motion active gamers.

And should Pyrostudios not put a 'pause and giving orders during pause' option, then I will NOT buy it and many gamers like me will follow the example, because you have more RTS pc games outthere than just Imperial Glory.

sick
28th Aug 2004, 00:00
Originally posted by EmperorLoef
First of all: how more units how more the fun, especialy when it's about the Napoleonic period.
Let's not make this a "Yes. No. Yes. No." discussion of this, let's say that we both have different opinions and preferences.

Secondly, you must be kidding me.. look, not all gamers have the fast and the furious reaction like you,
I never said I have fast and furious reactions. I just think that a pause option will slow down the game too much, because you have all the time to think what strategy you are going to use.
If Pyro Studios implements this option I don't care, but I won't use it, nor recomend others to use it. But then again, we both have different opinions and preferences.:)

Nizze
29th Aug 2004, 14:37
A 'pause and giving orders during pause' option will not harm the game. You don´t ned to use the paus key if you don´t wan to.

Arctic_Wolf
30th Aug 2004, 10:45
Total War is a dirty word if your talking about its "Grand Strategy Element", atleast for me. I thought the battles were supurb but what that stupid Counters representing emmiseries and such was one of the most annoying things I've ever had to use, it was like playing a board game with a million pieces moving at once how are you supposed to keep track of anything but your own pieces.

Pause option during battle would be fine, but I don't think that after the initalial placement of your troops at the start of a battle you should be able to give orders during pauses, it detaches from the realty of the game and makes it less immersive. But hey, whatever floats your ship-of-the-line. :D

Lonewulf44
30th Aug 2004, 17:10
Like almost everything...I say in reference to the pause button ...Throw it in!!!! I hate when options are removed, no matter what the reason.... let the gamer decide if they will use it or not! If someone likes fast pace games...then he or she just wont pause. If someone likes to play it slow. Then let them have the option.... options are a good thing...don’t alienate half the people when you can make everyone happy by simply adding the option.

In reference to total war strategic map.... yeah I mostly agree. While I could "stand" it.... it was far from the best .The new one with Rome Total War...is allot better...but not 100%

Long Live Prussia!

PANDA
30th Aug 2004, 17:53
I think a 'Pause' button would be good because it is essentially making it more realistic if you think about it. Napoleonic battles would last for hours and hours usually and military commanders would have time to observe the situation and either make a right or wrong decision. The battles in IG do not look as if they will last that long especially with the size of the units themselves. Using the pause button to have a good think will increase the experience and create satisfaction because you will see your plan at work.

P.S.

RTS's are not FPS's, I despise these hot shot counter strike players coming over to heavy strategy orientated games and having a good whine (Not that anyone here is doing that).

Arctic_Wolf
30th Aug 2004, 20:03
Whats wrong with them having a whine(within reason), everyone has there own vision of the game they'd most like to play and they're bound to want it.

Am I the only cross-genre player here?

Willmore
31st Aug 2004, 06:20
I enjoy a good action game, they can be very therapeutic :-) Seriously, I enjoy almost every type of game, and each genre has it's merits. The one thing to be avoided is mixing genres the bad way, ie. Adding stupid action sequences to adventure games. Keep strategy games strategic, not point-click-drag-repeat games.

langmann
31st Aug 2004, 16:33
Originally posted by PANDA
I think a 'Pause' button would be good because it is essentially making it more realistic if you think about it. Napoleonic battles would last for hours and hours usually and military commanders would have time to observe the situation and either make a right or wrong decision. The battles in IG do not look as if they will last that long especially with the size of the units themselves. Using the pause button to have a good think will increase the experience and create satisfaction because you will see your plan at work.

Exactly, well put.

Those RTS games leave a lot to be desired because they turn into: "build a swarm, send it at the enemy's base. Rinse and repeat."

Boring.

Its too difficult to devise a complex strategy with those games and so many unit types are neglected. I wouldn't want to see this happen with this game. If it does, then there is always hope that Total War will make their version. ;)

It is nice to be able to devise a plan and try it out. Of course this can be a difficult thing to manage in multiplayer mode. Some games do this well by limiting the time of the pause during multiplayer games, or the amount of pauses or 'time outs' you are allowed. ie: Rise of Nations.

Mmm_Pies
2nd Sep 2004, 11:24
I don't mind the pause button. In total war i don't use it as the ai has enough flaws and i think it does detract from the feel that your in a battle. if the maps are big enough then you don't generally have to worry about time as your enemy starts at least a few minutes march from you.

I've never seen a pause in multiplayer other than for use during LAN games as yet. But even in those i didn't notice u could give orders.

I'd find the game would get very boring if i could pause the game and give out orders as you would be able to counteract any move made by a player.

But as someone said having it as an option is the way to go as it doesn't alienate anyone, however the big question would be if it deserves to be in multiplayer?

jonte
6th Sep 2004, 00:26
I definetly think a pause button is a good option to implement. I've always been a fan of TBS instead of RTS. So pausing and giving me the time to plan and wheigh my moves is good. :)

In multiplayer I don't think there should be a pause/order option however. It would be too frustrating.

langmann
4th Dec 2004, 00:09
Yeah, I think in multiplayer it would be a bit too much. One 'pause' option I really liked was in Combat Mission. You assigned your orders every minute and so did the other guy. Then the computer would act it out. During the action phase units would go into AI based upon an event such as stumbling across an enemy or seeing a tank that they couldn't see before.

Best simulation yet ever IMHO.

Capt.Jack Aubrey
4th Dec 2004, 00:21
Maybe you have like 20 second pause, and only have two times to use it in multiplayer maybe? That would be a good idea in my opinion!:D

MagyarKhans Cham
5th Dec 2004, 04:14
the strategic map should only contain units and things that really benefit to the gameplay

rome totalwar went a bit too far with detail.

teh tactical battles should have a pause button and a speedslider.

and the normal pace should be much lower than pressented in teh movies which remind us all of teh freaking rat race in Rome where the infantry seems to be on drugs.

tone it down a bit appeals to more people than a fast game where u end up only with kiddies in the chat lobby.

The_Russian_Rocket
8th Dec 2004, 23:56

And should Pyrostudios not put a 'pause and giving orders during pause' option, then I will NOT buy it and many gamers like me will follow the example, because you have more RTS pc games outthere than just Imperial Glory.

LOL! I can imagine..

Jim: "Hey Bob look at this game Imperial Glory"
Bob: "Hey man, Put that down it has a pause button"