View Full Version : I think TDS Corrupted Windows

Neophyte
22nd Aug 2004, 02:13
Hey I just got a Dell XPS Gen 3, specs:

P4 3.2 GHz w/HT
1 GB RAM
250 GB Hard Drive
ATI Radeon 256 MB X800 XT PCI Express

TDS was the first thing I installed and I experienced some graphical distortion issues (text not appearing on books or notes, text jumbling on books and notes, light flickering, white patches appearing during movies, objectives being jumbled up or not appearing, etc). I also had random desktop crashes and soon couldn't load windows when rebooting (I got fatal system errors). I called Dell and they said that windows (xp pro) had become corrupted somehow. They said that Radeon cards had problems with Doom 3 and that the PCI technology may be too new right now to be compatible with the software.

My drivers may also be too old, the display properties say they are from May. Has anyone had similar problems or advice? It may just be the drivers, but I don't understand how that could corrupt windows (I ended up having to do a system restore on the system and its brand new!)?

theBlackman
22nd Aug 2004, 03:12
Try the latest drivers for your card. www.omegadrivers.net has updates for Nvidia and Radeon ATI cards.

READ THE FAQ sheets on the forum, and disable HYPERTHREADING on the P4.

Stile451
22nd Aug 2004, 03:16
Actually, the latest Omega drivers aren't compatable with Thief 3(they're based on the 4.7s, which have flickering shadows in Thief 3).

The official catalyst drivers are, though. LINK (http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/winxp/radeonwdm-xp.html?type=xp&prodType=graphic&prod=productsXPdriver&submit.x=16&submit.y=1)

Thief 3 has no problems with Hyperthreading, just Thief 1 and 2(and their various incarnations). If you're going to play the first two games then you'll have to disable Hyperthreading for those two games only (http://www16.brinkster.com/salvage/thief/darkengine.htm)(and Grim Fandango if you want to play that).

I've had many versions of Windows crap out on me for no apparent reason many times, welcome to the club.