PDA

View Full Version : Diplomacy and Trade

Branko
20th Aug 2004, 08:13
I'd like to know how diplomacy and trade will work in this game.

Anybody knows?

Lonewulf44
25th Aug 2004, 14:20
Well, maybe its covered elsewhere and thats why there has been no responce....but I'd also like a more detailed look at Diplomacy and Alliances......Trade.....especially regarding blockades would be good to know too.

Long Live Prussia!

Branko
26th Aug 2004, 04:29
Thanks Lonewulf for your reply.
You must be probably right, it must be covered somewhere else.

Branko

Ragnar_NZ
7th Sep 2004, 19:38
Europa Universalis rules! :cool:

I'm very curious about trade and diplomacy too, not to mention provincial morale. It doesn't have to be too convoluted, but it does have to be sensible, real and fair. In the last MTW campaign I played, the trade from the entire mediteranean was ruined by one french ship zipping back and forth endlessly between two water provinces, and my warships in both provinces never could catch the little SOB. The pope allowed endless attacks on me, but I was never allowed to respond - and I was the Pope's biggest supporter. Late game, when I controlled 70% of the board, every province revolted and every nation attacked me because of that little incident in Vienna. I liked MTW, but such things just ruin gameplay, and game enjoyment. They are just annoying, and silly. I remember levelling continents in Civ 3 because I knew no matter how nice I was to the peasants, how low the tax was or how heavily I garrisoned, the cities would rebel. So I sacked and burned to the ground each and every city on entire continents.

Things like every nation attacks you on turn 1 because you're the human player, well, that's stupid. But if every nation attacks you because you're the biggest, well, that's sensible and exactly what happened in Napoleonic Europe. Alliances should mean something, there should be penalties for breaking them and huge penalties for attacking allies.

Seeing as IG has such beautiful water and ships, it would be a pity not to take advantage of that. So I think there should be rules for blockades, for private trade, for pirates and privateers. I can live without them, but if they're not there it's a waste of potential.

I don't want to say what should or shouldn't be in the game, but there have been many games where "diplomacy" basically meant "gang up on the human player". You say you offer something a bit more sophisticated. Could you please explain a bit more? I'm very curious! :)

Arctic_Wolf
7th Sep 2004, 20:17
Originally posted by Ragnar_NZ
In the last MTW campaign I played, the trade from the entire mediteranean was ruined by one french ship zipping back and forth endlessly between two water provinces, and my warships in both provinces never could catch the little SOB. The pope allowed endless attacks on me, but I was never allowed to respond - and I was the Pope's biggest supporter. Late game, when I controlled 70% of the board, every province revolted and every nation attacked me because of that little incident in Vienna. I liked MTW, but such things just ruin gameplay, and game enjoyment. They are just annoying, and silly.

That is exactly why I hate the strat. map half of M:TW, you are now my best friend. If you take back what you said about RTS :rolleyes:

AcceptGrits
7th Sep 2004, 21:10
Ragnar and Arctic,

To prevent revolts, you must have complete control of the seas. Your King must have a direct connection to all your provinces via land or sea.

Don't invade until you sink enemy ships and do all sea attacks all at once with advantage in numbers. (Attack ports that make the ship to prevent them from blockading you).

The pope also can't keep track of warnings. After 1 warning of not attacking a ONE faction. You are free to attack other christian factions and you won't be excommunicated. Not sure if this bug is fixed though.

Also, use the fastest ships;) .

Use border forts, spies, religious agents/buildings and "happy buildings" to increase loyalty. But enough about TW.

I am also curious about diplomacy and I think the AI should be liable to the same general rules but ( occasional cheats for the computer is fine just for balance).

Ragnar_NZ
9th Sep 2004, 07:58
Thanks for the help!

I was just making a point. I know this now, but I still find it annoying.

Arctic_Wolf
12th Sep 2004, 21:57
It doesn't work, it seems like after 60% the whole thing is triggered to explode. This actually happened, from around five turns after becoming the largest empire in europe since rome you have no friends, no supporters, no loyalty, eight million assinations, a revolt in every second province(even loyal ones), even though you have atleast 200 men in every province bandits appear, every destroyed faction also reapers with an army twice the size of anything they ever had before, the pope declares you open for crusades, a strom destroys your shipping chains, you lose all of your money and to top it off, your king is 67 and still has not married, oh look, he died. The End.

Wow, what a great game that was.

Imperial Glory will not be like that, will it?

Champagne
16th Sep 2004, 01:45
LMAO Arctic Wolf... After playing a full campaign just yesterday, I know exactly how you feel. Ruling over all of england, italy, spawn, Germany, and Austria.... God.