PDA

View Full Version : After victory



Kai-Arne
19th Aug 2004, 18:38
I think the winner of a war should have the possibility to demand something like compensation-money from the looser and define a troop-limit for the defeated state! If for example England faught a war against Austria, and England won, then England declares a troop-limit on Austria, of e.g. 20.000 soldiers! Of course Austria can offend agains the declaration, but England will hear about that if british spies are stationed in a part of austria! (And I think after a war the winner should have some spies in the defeated country!) And maybe England demands a little part of Austria! And of course an amount of money to cover the costs of the war!
If all that is to much for austria it perhaps get allied with one or two other nations (if possible), and start a new war against England!
What do you think! I think that would be very good and complex!
;)

Arctic_Wolf
19th Aug 2004, 21:19
I have to correct ypu there.

England ceased to be an independant nation when the first act of unionification(Something like that) was signed and England(+ Wales) and Scotland were united as one country, Great Britain. Other acts of union created the United Kingdom. When war was declared against Germany in WWII it was done so under

"The United Kingdom of Great Britain, Berwick-upon-Tweed and Northern Ireland"

and the peace whatsit was

"The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland"

So technickly the northern english town of Berwick-upon-tweed is still at war with germany. :D

Willmore
20th Aug 2004, 02:24
That's funny, I didn't know that.

As to your idea, Kai, it's been done before, and it's fine, but it's too simplistic, IMO. The political situation of the time was far more intricate than "Your purse or your life !"

Czar
20th Aug 2004, 15:12
Originally posted by Arctic_Wolf
I have to correct ypu there.

.....

So technickly the northern english town of Berwick-upon-tweed is still at war with germany. :D

I like this story and did some checking...

Relax - it was not Germany but Russia - and a peace treaty was signed.

So Crimean War actually lasted from 1853 - 1966!

The link:The Berwick-upon-Tweed Russian War (http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/declaration%20of%20war)

What is the time frame for Imperial Glory then? :D

Kai-Arne
20th Aug 2004, 17:08
Originally posted by Willmore
That's funny, I didn't know that.

As to your idea, Kai, it's been done before, and it's fine, but it's too simplistic, IMO. The political situation of the time was far more intricate than "Your purse or your life !"

But after WW1, (and that is, as we all know even later than the games' timeframe), french troops marched into the rhineland, because germany didn't pay the compensation-money! And I know, that in every war in the 19.th century the looser had to pay and often give a part of his land away! That is how it was! ;)

Czar
20th Aug 2004, 18:00
Originally posted by Kai-Arne
But after WW1, (and that is, as we all know even later than the games' timeframe), french troops marched into the rhineland, because germany didn't pay the compensation-money! And I know, that in every war in the 19.th century the looser had to pay and often give a part of his land away! That is how it was! ;)

I think you need to play Victoria by Paradox Entertainment (if you have not done so already!;) )

The problem I see with Imperial Glory is that the provinces appear to be very large. To give away a little you end up giving away half your country.:(

Willmore
20th Aug 2004, 23:14
Originally posted by Kai-Arne
But after WW1, (and that is, as we all know even later than the games' timeframe), french troops marched into the rhineland, because germany didn't pay the compensation-money! And I know, that in every war in the 19.th century the looser had to pay and often give a part of his land away! That is how it was! ;)


Too simplistic of a comment, there were far more issues at stake than compensation.

Arctic_Wolf
21st Aug 2004, 22:27
Originally posted by Czar
I like this story and did some checking...

Relax - it was not Germany but Russia - and a peace treaty was signed.

So Crimean War actually lasted from 1853 - 1966!

The link:The Berwick-upon-Tweed Russian War (http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/declaration%20of%20war)

What is the time frame for Imperial Glory then? :D

Well i was righter than I usually am. :rolleyes:

Lonewulf44
25th Aug 2004, 13:25
Yeah, I agree...thats one thing I noticed...I wish the territories were smaller. Not tiny, like province level...but a bit larger......one of the few flaws with the map....

Long Live Prussia!