PDA

View Full Version : Constant and annoying desktop crashes

Infernal352
12th Aug 2004, 09:51
Firstly, as I'm new to these forums I'd just like to say 'Hi' so 'Hi' to everyone out there! Anyways....

My TDS game keeps crashing at random points throughout my game. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, can any of you guys help me on this matter?

Thanks,

Infernal

Brother52
12th Aug 2004, 12:17
Please post your full system spec including versions of drivers etc

some things to check
1. do you have latest drivers?
2. do you have anything running in the background, disable AV software and firewall etc (disconnect from internet first!!)
3. check for spyware, try adaware and spybot search and destroy
4. check disk free space
5. check swap file size

Some things to try
1. reinstall the game
2. defrag hard disk
3. try running with all game settings at minimum

I'm sure the guys here will be able to help you out if you give us enough info

Good luck!

Infernal352
12th Aug 2004, 14:17
Thanks,

My system specs are good enough: 2GB RAM, Radeon 9800 PRO, and I think my Motherboard is an Asus. I've got the full update of ATI drivers including the 1.8 'Beta' that elimates shadow problems. I have already scanned for any kinds of virus or spyware and come up with nada. I have read through the readme and tried all the suggestions, including defracmenting and running a disc scan, but it all seems to be in vain, as the game continually crashes.

I'm not sure whether you need any more info, but if you do, just ask ;)

Thanks for the help,

Infernal

uberam
12th Aug 2004, 19:48
Something else to check would be the audio drivers, specially if you are using on-board audio.

Yechidah
15th Aug 2004, 03:33
I'm having this same problem with random crashes. It seems to happen at certain points in the game and then the next time it wont happen.
For instants the first time I tried to lock pick in the tutorial it crashed but I got past that part after I rebooted. The first time I had to bring the map up it crashed. Once I got the computer back up it got past this point.
These crashes are very strange as they power my computer entirely off and I have to unplug the computer and let it sit for about 45 seconds before it will turn back on.
I have a radeon 9800 with the latest driver that is suppose to fix problems with theif. Asus motherboard with AMD 64 bit 3200 proc. 1 GB ram.
I would appriciate any help with this problem.

StreetPunk
15th Aug 2004, 14:10
Brother52 I appreciate you're help, but you're letting people do things that don't help to fix it.

Here are the options that have worked for some people:

For me turning "bloom" off, was the trick to do it. Eventhough you turn this off, there are still chances the game crashes, but it doesnt crash as frequent as before.. it only crashes like 1 time out of 50.

Other option:
Turn Fast Writes in the BIOS setup off.

Option I recently saw, but I dont know if that one works, is empty the windows/temp dir.

But as said before, for me turning bloom off worked.