PDA

View Full Version : Does Thief work with Nvidia 6800?

Peter_Smith
12th Aug 2004, 06:54
Does anyone has experience running Thief successfully with an Nvidia 6800 video card? I would like to know about Thief 1(gold), 2, and 3. I am itching to buy one of these.

I understand that Eidos is going to test it, but I haven't heard any results.

Clumsyorchid
12th Aug 2004, 06:58
Yea, sorry we have been absolutely slammed with work for the past week and haven't had a chance to run it on our 6800 PC. I will talk to my coworker about it tomorrow.

I recently put together a PC with a plain 6800 and it runs Thief 3 quite well. I got 60+ frames with vsync off and 3x AA at 1024x768.

Edit: Actually I just realized I have a copy of T1 and T2 at my house and can run the tests. Will post back tomorrow after I get everything installed.

Clumsyorchid
12th Aug 2004, 07:35
Ok, I guess it's *technically* tomorrow... I jumped the gun on the amount of time it would take, I didn't want to troubleshoot problems all night;)... Luckily the problems were minor: Both T1, T2, and T3 run fine on my system with a GF6800. I'm using the most recent drivers from nvidia, and the only problems I had running the game was:

"Direct 3D Device does not accurately report texture memory usage"

I looked up the ttlg FAQ from your PM and found the fixes in the thread, which are:

Thief 2: remove the semicolon (;) from the line ;safe_texture_manager in the file user.cfg which you should open with Notepad.

Thief 1: Download the patched exe for the correct version.

And of course, T3 ran fine as I stated above. I didn't get a chance to play very much of the games, I just checked to see if they would load and show graphics correctly. Now go buy that card!

Peter_Smith
13th Aug 2004, 05:11
Thanks for doing the test, Clumsyorchid!:D I will indeed go get that card -- a 6800 GT, if I can find one in stock. Plus other gear, too. The old compter is getting a little long in the tooth.

Peter_Smith
14th Aug 2004, 20:11
Ah, ordered the gear yesterday, including the 6800 GT. Had the 6800 GT in an Auto Notification queue with Newegg. Missed one chance, but pounced on the second.

Clumsyorchid
14th Aug 2004, 20:30
sweeet :D

Grey Mouser
18th Aug 2004, 22:01
I am jealous Peter! :mad:

But happy to hear you are finally getting rid of that old nag of a vid-card. [oh, wait...I am still using a Voodoo 5 on one of my systems at home... ....nevermind.]