PDA

View Full Version : game won't start!!

tezzad
8th Aug 2004, 21:10
hey, just installed thief 3 but i can't get it to start.

i have :ATI RADEON 9200 SE
:Realtek AC 97
:512 RAM (with HDD)
:Intel Pentium 4 2.60GHz
:DirectX 9

i read somewhere that you need EAX or something is this true?
i used to have a folder called EAX Unified, but it got deleted, can i download this from somewhere?

please, please, please, give me some help.
i would very much appreciate it

Emac38
10th Aug 2004, 01:27
I suggest that you read the post about Minimum Requirements and go from there. Also, the EAX will only work for certain graphics cards. Good Luck.

4W4K3
10th Aug 2004, 02:31
Originally posted by Emac38
I suggest that you read the post about Minimum Requirements and go from there. Also, the EAX will only work for certain graphics cards. Good Luck.

it looks like his system should run the game though. the only problem i see is that he has integrated sound, and i thought there was a fix for that? the SE version of your card might not have pixel 1.1 or later though. mine is a non-SE and it works fine. never had any probs liek that.

Emac38
10th Aug 2004, 14:05
Thank you 4X4K3 for your input. :) Since his VD card is supported for the game, maybe he just needs to reinstall? I also use an ATI Radeon 9600SE 128MB card and haven't had any problems. You are probably right about the pixel support, though I'm not sure why the card shows as being a minimum requirement and not have that?

Grey Mouser
10th Aug 2004, 17:47
You do not need EAX for the game to function, it runs fine on numerous on-board sound chips. Also, EAX is a function attributed only to Creative Labs Sound cards, not *cough* graphics cards. Emac38. Perhaps you should do more...research?

- tezzad - just reinstall the latest drivers for your sound card and make certain you have the latest drivers installed for your vid card...should work fine on your system, at low-rez. (Why you had an EAX folder _without_ having a Creative card is a mystery...hmmm...)

bravus
10th Aug 2004, 17:53
tezzad, nice initial post, high points for including your specs! Can you describe what happens when the game won't start? Does it not open at all, or quit to desktop after doing something? Is there any error message? As has been said above, although your system is toward the lower end of the system requirements, it should run the game, so any extra info you can give us on the symptoms will help with a diagnosis.

Emac38
10th Aug 2004, 19:38
Sorry Grey....I slipped on my part! :o I had his graphics card on the BRAIN! And yes, I am well aware the EAX is just for the sound. I have it! Just a little tired this morning. Have a great day.

Grey Mouser
10th Aug 2004, 21:29
Originally posted by Emac38
...Just a little tired this morning. Have a great day.

No worries, me too. And you too. :)