PDA

View Full Version : Realism

b3nje
4th Aug 2004, 02:25
I hope this game uses a large amount of realism in its execution.
But I've already found a problem

The ammo count for the m16 (taken from the shellshock homepage).

Its got it listed as 30 rounds, but U.S. forces only used 20 round magazines up until 1970, and then introduced the 30..

Now I know this may sound minor, but I was hoping for a reasonably accurate dipiction of the vietnam war.. right down to the ammo counts.

AgentOrange_section8
4th Aug 2004, 04:03
Yeah i saw that on the website also and also about the 9mm sidearm that was not a standard issue weapon during the Vietnam War or "conflict". The standard side arm issue was the Colt 45 and on the Shellshock website on the picture for the 9mm it shows a Colt 45 pistol..:D i assure you this game will be HELLA realistic! lol you cant blame them for that stuff on the site because they have not updated it...in forever..ok im out peace

Beefypeanut
4th Aug 2004, 19:36
Actually, I remember my dad saying that people who went back to the states on leave would buy a whole bunch of 30 rounds and other higher capacity magazines, then they were issued and bring them back and sell them. This was during 1968-1969.

imported_mike_g
5th Aug 2004, 18:37
I cannot speak, one way or another, as to all the technical realism of the game, but I think you will find several instances of a degree of tactical realism, in that you are going to spend a good piece of time behind cover, either laying down fire or picking your next spot of cover, or both simultaneously. You will also in some missions have to practice a degree of patience, scouting for hidden threats such as boobytraps and mines before you move on. So, hopefully there will be the 'Vietnam experience'. Can't really go into detail, due to the game not being out yet of course.

Jack455
5th Aug 2004, 18:57
:eek: You and Jebus have played it!!!!!!!!! I envy you guys please tell as much as you are allowed (maybe even alittle more *wink ;) wink*) PLEEEEEASEEE Like some one else asked (i think it was ACE) can you comment on game play length???:D

jaywalker2309
5th Aug 2004, 22:38
Originally posted by Jack455
:eek: You and Jebus have played it!!!!!!!!! I envy you guys please tell as much as you are allowed (maybe even alittle more *wink ;) wink*) PLEEEEEASEEE Like some one else asked (i think it was ACE) can you comment on game play length???:D

I've played it too hehe, but thats cos we are employed to :)

CampKillYourself
8th Aug 2004, 13:46
I always though that m16's always had 30 round clips... the book im reading now "We Were Soldiers Once...Young and Brave" i thought stated that they were looking for 30 round clips.. i could be wrong.. I know the Car15 had 30 round clips.. My dad fought in Nam but he doesnt like to talk abdout it.....

TransgenicX
13th Aug 2004, 09:30
From what i have read the realism of this game will be great, from the gore and drug use to language and tactical stuff, i cant wait to play this game, its about time someone made a really realistic war game.

SniperOne
13th Aug 2004, 10:03
YEAH!

This is what we´re all waiting for:

A game that shows the realism and not the chicken****, shown in most of the other games!!!

GET SOME

SniperOne

------------------------
GUNG HO

Soljiboy
15th Aug 2004, 21:01
My dad fought in Vietnam in the 5th SF, he said that from what he knows only the marines used the m14s after 67, and the army used m16s from the beginning by soldiers who could have access to it and there were 20 rounds per magazine but every sf soldiers used m16s from the begininng

Hodgeh
16th Aug 2004, 19:55
Originally posted by CampKillYourself
I always though that m16's always had 30 round clips... the book im reading now "We Were Soldiers Once...Young and Brave" i thought stated that they were looking for 30 round clips.. i could be wrong.. I know the Car15 had 30 round clips.. My dad fought in Nam but he doesnt like to talk abdout it.....

Just some nitpicking corrections here:

The curved 'clip' is called a magazine. The 'clip' is held inside of the magazine. Think of a WW2 era rifle, a German 98k for example, it had a 5 round 'clip' that was fed into the 'magazine', which was already inside the gun.

M16s were originally issued with 20 round magazines, but most soldier only loaded 16-18 rounds in them due to the springs that pushed the bullets up the magazine wearing out.

SniperOne
18th Aug 2004, 12:00
Yeah!

you´re right. Only the 20 rounds magazine is current.
A ´clip´ is what we call a mag for AK47 ...´banana-clip´.

Best regards

SniperOne

-------------
GUNG HO

CKY1709
18th Aug 2004, 17:10
i wonder if they will have a car15 or not. Im not sure if the car15 was used in 67 but i in "Platoon" i know sgt. Barnes has one and i think that takes place in 68' but i could be wrong. Any moderators that know if the car15 will be available could you let me in?

ACEofSPADES87
18th Aug 2004, 21:04
Platoon takes place from sept '67 to '68. But I do think the CAR15 was issued around then.

CKY1709
18th Aug 2004, 21:49
ohh i always thought that sgt. barnes had a car15. atleast tahts what it looks like

ACEofSPADES87
19th Aug 2004, 15:42
sgt Barnes and Elias do use a CAR15.

CKY1709
20th Aug 2004, 01:34
so maybe it will be in the game, but im all set with the m14,m16,m79, m60, and the FLAMETHROWER. PLUS claymores and other traps which can be seen at www.shellshockgame.com when you click on the german flag

Soljiboy
22nd Aug 2004, 00:30
Does anyone know the names of your platoon members in this game? I know there is Captain Howell, Sergeant Ramirez, and Private Kowalski, then you, but come on, 4 members in a platoon, thats weak, thats more like a fire team. isn't this game supposed to be realistic?