PDA

View Full Version : Memory allocation question for DarkLoader

Rinscewind
24th Jul 2004, 18:12
Heyas,

I have an issue with DarkLoader and some FMS, and I need to give you a little history of what has happened first. I don't know what may apply and what might not.

I am new to the FMs for Thief. I only have Thief 2, if it matters from a program point of view. I read some of the Eidos forums, and following a game tweak, I had copied the Thief 2 discs to my hard drive. I installed Thief 2 FROM the hard drive TO the hard drive. I then found and downloaded DarkLoader and a bunch of FMs. I played a few of them a little, and had a few issues with the convict.osm file that are now sorted out. I had a bad download link that gave me a wrong convict.osm file. The bad link gave me a 1.04 meg file, when it should only be 123k. That is fixed.

Before I found out about the bad .osm file (the 1.04 meg mystery file), but after installing it, I started playing a few FMs. At first they worked fine, and then a few would not start. I reached the options screen, and when I clicked the title to start, the game crashed to desktop while loading the mission. After a few FMs crashed like this (including ones that had worked prior), I tried yet another, and out of the blue was asked to put in the Thief 2 cd, like my system wanted to play off of the disc (which had never happened before). I did a full reinstall of Thief 2, and reinstalled DarkLoader (after deleting the .ini file it leaves, so it was a clean reinstall). Everything worked fine for the missions that - a) had worked, then did not and - b) are of a small size.

Now I have a new problem playing some of the FMs. :mad: One is Calendra's Legacy, which is over 300 megs in size, and another is Circle of Stone and Shadow, which is over 100 megs in size. No small missions give me problems, more on that below. This is ok with me, as I have many FMs to play while I am working on this problem, but I do want to play the large sized FMs.

I read that corrupted files cause DarkLoader to crash missions to desktop (Eidos forums), and if memory is an issue, the same thing can happen (in the write up for C's Legacy). I also read that it is best to put one FM in a sepcial file, play it, then change it out for the next one when done. Then, if a single file is bad, it is easy to find.

Not knowing if I had a corrupt file or two, I loaded single FMs. I played them for 20 seconds or so, to make sure each loaded and worked, then quit out. I did this for like 20 or so missions. Each worked fine. After I quit out, I highlit the "Original (Thief 2)" listing, and clicked "Install Only", in DarkLoader. I did this for every mission (I did not want to clutter up my Thief 2 folder).

Now I have the new problem. :(

Each time I load certain FMs, I now get an error dialogue box that says 'Thief needs 35 megs of disc space to run, and I only have 30 megs (or so, read on) of disc space free'. Every time I load one, I seem to lose free disc space. The message in the dialogue box is, "You have (some number)M free of disk space. Thief 2 requires 35M. Thief 2 cannot run.". After just now trying to load CoSaS again, the message now says I have 26M free disk space, when it said 27M last time I tried to run CoSaS, and before that it had said 30M. My C: drive in My Computer shows I have a few gigs free. 10+ gigs of disc space, actually. I defragged my hard drive an hour ago, and it showed 10+ gigs in the results, also.

After playing around with different FMs, I found can I play any file that seems to be under 23.8 megs, at least for now. 23.8 megs is the size of "Left For Dead". The next bigger one is "The 7th Crystal", it is 25.7 megs. I cannot get it to play.

Somehow, DarkLoader seems to be reading smaller and smaller amounts of disk space available, at least according to the dialogue boxes. I have tried quite a few FMs, and if DarkLoader is assigning disk space for each FM I try, and not cleaning up the allocation, I would get less and less space available. My system does not act like it has 26 megs of disc space left. As I said above, I can also play the "Original (Thief 2)" listing that is always in DarkLoader, but I guess I don't know the size of the Thief 2 missions. They might be small. I just can't play big sized FMs.

I dunno if clicking the "Install Only" for the "Original (Thief 2)" listing after every mission I have tried (which would be a few dozen, many are large sized) would be part of it, or not.

Can you help me with this? I posted this on Bjoern's site, also, but he says since T3 did not come with a mission editor, he is not going to pursue DarkLoader much more, even though he has 4.5 partly done, and don't expect it any time soon. I don't know if he will reply soon or be willing to help, never hurts to ask. :)

Thanks!

theBlackman
24th Jul 2004, 19:34
THIEF has a problem with HDD over 2 Gigs, so just put a dummy file in the THIEF (Call it trash) put 40 Mgs of anything in it, a large wave file, 3 mp3's or some such.

Then Thief will run. This is a common problem with larger HDD's that came out after the original THIEF. 20 to 80 gig HDD were unknown, and the opsys gets confused.

So just add 40 megs to a folder. This should cure your Memory problems. It is a function of the program and not a bug per se.

theBlackman
24th Jul 2004, 19:36
THIEF has a problem with HDD over 2 Gigs, so just put a dummy file in the THIEF (Call it trash) put 40 Mgs of anything in it, a large wave file, 3 mp3's or some such.

Then Thief will run. This is a common problem with larger HDD's that came out after the original THIEF. 20 to 80 gig HDD were unknown, and the opsys gets confused.

So just add 40 megs to a folder. This should cure your Memory problems. It is a function of the program and not a bug per se.

Rinscewind
24th Jul 2004, 21:01
I had read that, but this seemed different. If it is a large hard drive issue, then it seems that small files would not play either.

*Shrug*

I will try it.

Thanks