PDA

View Full Version : Athlon 64 frame rate/ fast walk problem

stevepicken
20th Jul 2004, 19:01
Several players have reported a problem with the frame rate of the game, basically all the characters speed up and do a 'benny hill' walk.

It is nothing to do with vsync as some players have suggested, or a graphics card problem.

I think it is restricted to Athlon 64 CPUs.

I have tried the game on two machines that are both running the ATI Radeon 9800 graphics card, with the same drivers. One is Athlon 64 and the other the latest Pentium 4. Only the Athlon machine exhibits the problem.

Other users are reporting the problem on similarly high spec machines and I guess they also have Athlon 64 chips.

Is anyone running Thief 3 successfully on an Athlon 64 with the benny hill walk?

Clumsyorchid
20th Jul 2004, 19:14
My work test machine is a Athlon 64 3000+, and I have not experienced this problem at all.

stevepicken
20th Jul 2004, 19:49
My machine is Athlon 64 3000+ too yet I suffer it.

Anyone else?

Clumsyorchid
20th Jul 2004, 19:55
Which other users are reporting the problem?

stevepicken
20th Jul 2004, 20:03
There are several threads all related to this bug:

weird frame rate glitch
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42644

super speed
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40032

help! game isn't playing properly
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39402

Sorry, not used this message forum before, don't knw how to x-ref threads.

stevepicken
20th Jul 2004, 20:04
Still convinced that the CPU is the problem, I went into the BIOS to have a poke around. Since I turned off cool n quiet I've been able to run the game on the AMD 64 without speed up.

this could be a red herring of course, but it has worked consistently about 10 times now. Your mileage may vary.

thegrommit
20th Jul 2004, 22:45
Running it fine here with CNQ on "performance" mode under Win2K. For some reason, that mode isn't available under WinXP.

Athlon 3200+, MSI K8T Neo FIS2R, 1.7 BIOS

Clumsyorchid
21st Jul 2004, 01:13
weird frame rate glitch
Thread starter: Anubis29
Has Athlon 64? No.

super speed
Thread Starter: RpTheHotrod
Has Athlon 64? Not stated for or against in thread. I'm not quite sure where you got the information that he has the 64 processor.

help! game isn't playing properly
Thread Starter: Mecha
Has Athlon 64? Yes.

Ok from the threads you listed, 1 other person is having a problem with the speed in the game and is also running an Athlon 64. I have already stated that the problem does not occur on my work PC and another poster (thegrommit) has confirmed it does not occur on his. To me this is not particularly damming evidence that the problem lies in the processor.

Mr. Perfect
21st Jul 2004, 01:59
It's the Cool N Quiet. What C N Q does is turn the clock speed of the CPU down when it's not needed in an effort to reduce heat. So when you're just reading the forum here you might have a 1.5GHz(or something) instead of a 2.2GHz machine. When you start up the game, C N Q relizes that the CPU is getting hit up with a massive demand, and turns the clock speed back up to full. You basicly end up with it playing ass slow, then doing a crazy catch-up, and then running normaly.

RageHeart
21st Jul 2004, 14:30
- Mr. Perfect "It's the Cool N Quiet. What C N Q does is turn the clock speed of the CPU down when it's not needed in an effort to reduce heat. "

Well technically, CnQ leaves the clockspeed alone and reduces the multiplier... but yeah, same effect for the most part. ( also technically, there is supposedly a performance increase if your CPU clockspeed == your RAM clockspeed, therefore by CnQ decreasing the total CPU speed this way they do not alter this 1:1 relationship.)

stevepicken
21st Jul 2004, 15:55
Hi guys, just because you DON'T suffer the problem with cool n quiet turned on doesn't mean that cool n quiet isn't the cause for those of us that DO suffer the benny hill walk problem.

I've already stated that this fix solved MY problem immediately, I made no other changes at the time.

So it is worth a try if you are having this problem. Just remember to turn it back on again it it doesn't solve it.

stevepicken
21st Jul 2004, 16:44
Please take a look at:

http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=18936&st=0&#entry155736

This is an AMD support newsgroup that discusses the issue of the AMD cool n quiet feature. Thief 3 is mentioned, alongside other 3D games.

Hope this helps...

thegrommit
21st Jul 2004, 22:03
Originally posted by stevepicken
Hi guys, just because you DON'T suffer the problem with cool n quiet turned on doesn't mean that cool n quiet isn't the cause for those of us that DO suffer the benny hill walk problem.

Calm down. I happen to agree that CNQ is the problem - hence it's on "high performance" rather than "automatic" mode (see above). This still leaves it running quietly when I'm browsing, but it speeds up to full performance faster when needed.

FYI (and as MrPerfect stated), CNQ is a function of the motherboard varying the voltage and clockspeed of the CPU. That variation is what causes the erratic performance. However, there is no problem with the CPU itself.

Mr. Perfect
22nd Jul 2004, 00:01
Lowering the multiplier will lower the clock speed. ;)