PDA

View Full Version : bloody missions

kingtutman
20th Jul 2004, 02:58
if you don't shoot or stab anyone is there blood in the first couple of missions?

The_Insane
20th Jul 2004, 19:55
what do u mean?

MajorHealy
20th Jul 2004, 20:31
There can be in the first couple of levels. If you blackjack someone holding a torch and they fall on the flaming torch, they'll leave blood. Also, in the unusual event that an archer shoots at you and hits someone behind you, I imagine that'll draw some blood, although I've never seen that happen.

Anywhere in the city and even in a couple of missions, fights will get started without your intervention, and there will be blood.

Just curious, are you creeped out by blood (I noticed one of your other posts asked about blood)? Or are you screening the game for a youngster? Or something else?

I don't think they built in a parental control for enabling/disabling blood because a blood trail is integral to gameplay (i.e., if an NPC sees blood, they become more alert).

kingtutman
20th Jul 2004, 23:00
My mom makes me screen the games and tell her what their about before she will let my little brother get a game.

njcl
20th Jul 2004, 23:10
pools of blood,nothing major though..............:rolleyes:

Silent_Hitman47
21st Jul 2004, 00:24
small pools though. You could tell your mom that someone had dropped some red pudding. It looks a little thick.

hagatha
21st Jul 2004, 02:20
The game does have the potential for violence if you play it that way. Plus there are some fairly scary bits.

Rockn-Roll
21st Jul 2004, 05:26
Originally posted by kingtutman
My mom makes me screen the games and tell her what their about before she will let my little brother get a game.

OK, there is no gore. No adult content. No cursing, unless you consider the word "Taffer" to be a curse word. There are a couple os scary missions, but what little boy doesn't like scary? At least, not until their big brothers sneak behind them and say, "boo"; just when the attic door opens.

As far as being clean and available for young players I'd say it's one of the cleanest I've seen. The blood is just an effect, there are no veins, and it just splashes and makes a puddle. In fact, the blood can be completely cleaned up with water arrows...so in that regard the game can be as blood free as you want.

The game is focused on stealth and following the story line. It would definitely help a young player develop their analytical and intuitive skills, not to mention develop some skills in recognizing and overcoming freightening situations. Chances are young players will get tired of playing it because it demands too much brain power to follow all the clues.

gar_goyle1
21st Jul 2004, 19:37
to RocknRoll, well said!!! My 8 yr old loves to play Thief, and the little bit of blood in the game does not bother him because 1)he knows it is not real; 2)it is such a small part of the graphics to be ALMOST unnoticeable during game play. And yes, the water arrows make for a nice clean up.

By the way, how old is your brother, kingtutman?

kingtutman
21st Jul 2004, 20:41
He is 7 yrs old. But my mom is over protective sometimes.

Silent_Hitman47
21st Jul 2004, 22:02
They can be that way. I really don't remember my mom having a problem with anything except for GTA. My dad is a little more lenient when it comes to games.

The_Insane
22nd Jul 2004, 18:17
let ur brother play the........SHALEBRIDGE CRADLE...(aaarrrgg), he will be fine:rolleyes: there is some blood, nothing special, but the zombies have a lot of blood and rotten hunks of meat...

Silent_Hitman47
22nd Jul 2004, 21:27
Actually I heard one curse word. A guard saw me so I started to run away. The guard kept running after me and he said "Stop damn you!" That is the only bad language I have heard. Don't get caught and don't worry.

shalroq
23rd Jul 2004, 01:14
I think I was 8/9 when I first started playing thief. I stopped because I only played it at night (for atmosphere) and the zombies just scared me too much.
I got some really bad nightmares related to them too I think. But I'm older now and I have bottled up the fear so it can be released later in life. Ah, the joys of stress. And the fear of being eaten alive by a zombie.:D

I'm ok *twitch*

Blood shouldn't be too much of a problem, judging by what you can see on TV now. The psychological horror I think is the one that gets grown-ups easier, so if you mute Shalebridge Cradle, small children should be alright.

Oh, great! Now I'm thinking about. So much for my sleep tonight :p

The_Insane
23rd Jul 2004, 09:36
u all forget that the zombies have lots of blood on them:rolleyes: so there is lots of blood, and in the attic of the cradle...and the dead man in the pub...and the ritual of the paw...and that head in a bottle in the catacombs...and the body of gamal ....and the pagan cutscene....so there is blood in the game:rolleyes: :rolleyes: