PDA

View Full Version : You taffer

Erik1
17th Jul 2004, 13:17
What does "Taffer" mean?
The guards go yelling that 5 times per minute!

tealsmith
17th Jul 2004, 13:42
Taffer's a bastardized version of the name 'Trickster' (like Jeez is to Jesus). It's come to mean 'Fool, Thief, Idiot'. It can also be used in other forms, such as 'taffing' or 'taff'.

Ex:

[list=1]
Stop making all that noise taffer, you'll wake the whole of Dayport!
You taffing idiot, you take what you can carry.
What the taff is going on here?
[/list=1]

xenopus_man
17th Jul 2004, 15:37
I think its really to do with a childrens nursery rhyme...

'taffy was a welshman,
taffy was a thief,
taffy came to my house and stole a leg of beef

i went to taffy's house....'

and so on. But the point is, does this make garrett welsh?

Lendrik
17th Jul 2004, 17:37
Originally posted by xenopus_man
I think its really to do with a childrens nursery rhyme...

'taffy was a welshman,
taffy was a thief,
taffy came to my house and stole a leg of beef

i went to taffy's house....'

and so on. But the point is, does this make garrett welsh?

No, it makes all Welsh taffers. Some of those nursery rhymes are politically incorrect by today's standards, people even get sacked for reading them or even mentioning them (like "ten little ******s" etc.)

Petestar
18th Jul 2004, 12:50
Originally posted by Lendrik
No, it makes all Welsh taffers. Some of those nursery rhymes are politically incorrect by today's standards, people even get sacked for reading them or even mentioning them (like "ten little ******s" etc.)

POLITICAL CORRECTNESS = PC......= BS = BULL****!!

LOL

The Welsh are referred to as Taffs or Taffys because of the River Taff which flows through the poxy place, any Welsh people insulted by being called Taffs should lighten up.

njcl
18th Jul 2004, 13:50
TAFFER is a word made up by a female developer of LOOKING GLASS {thief 1&2},it has no literal meaning but equates to meaning,undesirable,pickpocket,thief,rogue

Flashart
18th Jul 2004, 19:35
I live in the UK, in the Midlands. When I was a kid (a lonnnggg time ago) we used the word "Taff" to mean steal. ie "He's just taffed some sweets!" Or "He's a thievin' taffer".
I was amazed when I first heard the word being used as part of the Thief games, as I believed the word "Taff" was peculiar to The Black Country.
I can only guess that it's some kind of "olde english" word (Shakespeare?) that has been passed down.
How it ends up in a game, I have no idea.

hellbilly
18th Jul 2004, 19:40
TAFFER is a word made up by a female developer of LOOKING GLASS {thief 1&2},it has no literal meaning but equates to meaning,undesirable,pickpocket,thief,rogue

This is exactly what I read on a thief website at some time. Maybe she didn't actually invent the word..but she brought it up and it sounded new to the dev team..so they used it to mean undesirable things or people or actions. yadda yadda

Jargurorf
19th Jul 2004, 04:54
Isn't it bassically a made up swear word so you don't see people running around dropping the F bomb.

Brother52
19th Jul 2004, 12:35
Originally posted by Flashart
... I believed the word "Taff" was peculiar to The Black Country...

I was also brought up in the black country, (Wendsbury) but have no recollection of "Taff", we used "Naff" i.e. "e' naffed mar gray pays un bearcon bits", translation, "he stole my delicious local delicacy" LOL

Inquisitor
19th Jul 2004, 13:54
Originally posted by Flashart
I can only guess that it's some kind of "olde english" word (Shakespeare?) that has been passed down.

Nah, Olde English is what they used way back before the 10th century AD, and it's barely recognisable as English, almost another language. Shakesperian/Elizabethan English is early modern English, which is what the Hammerites use ;)

gar_goyle1
20th Jul 2004, 20:22
just read "Canterbury Tales" in the original language,,,,talk about confusing!!! Wan that april with the shureth soota, hath in the ram , etc....

Anyhow, I think "taffer" is a wonderful word that can mean anything an individual wants it to mean. I take it to mean any type of ne'er-do-well or thief, rogue, etc...

Sometimes I refer to my son as "Taffer" when I get mad at him (lol),,,,,,,,,,,,,,my daughter too!!!

Jargurorf
22nd Jul 2004, 01:48
Ha, that's great!

njcl
22nd Jul 2004, 10:22
lol............i call my 6 year old nephew a taffer to his annoyance also dogs i see being walked............im weird that way.duh