PDA

View Full Version : Full mission processing coming to a halt

John D.
12th Jul 2004, 08:39
I'm back working on the first level of my FM again. Since I have Komag's custom menus, I like to use 'full mission processing' a lot. Here's the problem, I've now gotten to the point that it wont complete the cycle of processing, when I check in the monolog file it seems to freeze up when it's doing the lighting process. This is strange since this part is smaller than part 2 which takes about 10 minutes to process. What could be causing the slowdowns and lockups?

Yandros
12th Jul 2004, 19:12
I assume FMP does objcast lighting? Objcast time gets exponentially longer if you have a lot of lights with infinite radii. Just because mission 2 is smaller doesn't mean the lighting will go faster... if you have more lights with infinite radii, it could take much longer.

That said, it still shouldn't cause a hangup. Are you sure it isn't just taking a really long time to light the level?

Personally, I set a radius on almost every light source in my mission. Not just because I don't want to have to go make a sandwich every time I light, but also it's more realistic and creates much more noticeable areas of light and shadow. When I play a FM, nothing is more aggravating than going to a dark shadowy corner only to find that my light gem is still mostly lit, because of the streetlight that's half a mile away.

John D.
13th Jul 2004, 00:56
Hmm, I think I have a quite a few lights without a radius set yet, I'll experiment and see if that helps.:)

John D.
13th Jul 2004, 14:09
Nope, no effect. I may have to take every light out at this rate and put them back in one at a time to see what's going on.:mad: *Sigh* at least part 2 is still holding up (for now).

John D.
13th Jul 2004, 16:30
Okay, it's working again. I cut out the Cetus Amicus and the hangar (I think I made it a little too big, the docking tunnel will do) and used multibrushes (within the mission) to compress the better developed areas together while eliminating some of the long corridors and empty rooms. Everything seems to work fine now although it will take some fine tuning.:)