PDA

View Full Version : New to the game, got 2 questions

Wushuki
10th Jul 2004, 20:25
Hi, I just bought startopia yesterday, but got some problems.

The game worked perfectly at first, but then I downloaded the patch. After installing it, the game says that it cant find the cd even when its in my cd-rom. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Or do I have to reinstall the game and run it without patch?

Secondly, I didnt get any manual with the game and there is none on the cd either. Therefore I dont understand the purpose of a lot buildings and at which buildings certain aliens work. Does anyone know of a good website where all this is expained?

I hope there is still anyone that visits this forum, cause this game seems to be dead already....:(

Thanks in advance

DMA57361
11th Jul 2004, 11:39
How sure about the cd problem, although I've heard of it being mentioned before - to a search on the forum.

Secondly there are websites about but it's been so long since I looked at them I can't remember the addresses . . . part of the fun of the game for me was working it all out for myself! The missions will show you the basic buildings, the more interesting ones are for you to work out! (or you could find a website and learn it all instantly that way)

Sorry I can't be of more help, I'm in a rush and don't have time to look myself . . .

Arctic_Wolf
11th Jul 2004, 11:53
1.) Have you tried the 1.01b Patch (http://www.muckyfoot.com/startopia/downloads/StarTopiaPatch1.0.1b.exe) ?

2.) I have the manuel and it doesn't explain a thing so don't worry there. The missions will guide you through the essential buildings and their occupants and if you aren't sure about some of them I believe the Hitch Hiker's Guide to Startopia can help you, press F1 when you have your cursor over something and a nice box will come up with information about it.

3.) Websites, there's the Startopia Post, http://www.strategyplanet.com/startopia lots of stuff there. Most of the others have probably dissapeared by now.

Wushuki
11th Jul 2004, 16:46
DMA57361, seeing all the buildings and learning their value as you progress through the game is indeed more fun. But there are plenty of buildings which you can build from the start of the game, but dont seem to do anything at all (chronometer, ultra light).

Arctic_Wolf, the 1.01b patch and the F1 key both work. Thanks a lot for telling me this.

By the way, of what use are the chronometer and ultra lights and all the screens you can put up walls in sicksbays and berths? The F1 key doesnt say this.

Arctic_Wolf
11th Jul 2004, 21:29
Well, chronometers and ultralights aren't buildings so you confused us there.

A chronometer is a clock, it tells the actual time according to your computer. The Image Projector is like a TV although it just shows a picture. Ultralights and Corridor Lamps are lights and they light up the place. These things make your peeps (aliens, vistors and residents) happier and more secure.

I hope thats an end to your whining :D, Welcome to the forums Wushuki.

Overmind
12th Jul 2004, 07:42
A good link for StarTopia stuff is

www.rakrent.com/rtsc/rtsc_startopia.htm

Mr. Fleay keeps the site well maintained. If you badger him enough, he'll add a few new things and/or update existing ones.

Wushuki
12th Jul 2004, 09:56
Great, thanks for your help everyone. This should be enough to finish that horrible 7th level :).

Arctic_Wolf
12th Jul 2004, 15:54
Mission 7 is easy, all you have to do is to start recruiting early on

Wushuki
12th Jul 2004, 17:33
Yes, I already made 7 and 8. How many of those missions are there?

Arctic_Wolf
12th Jul 2004, 20:58
Just the ten, of course there are a lot of downloadable play made missions aswell, check the mod section of the Startopia Post.