PDA

View Full Version : Thief keeps crashing :'(

illmatic
8th Jul 2004, 20:13
I have owned thief since it was released and have yet to play it, my system is as follows

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
768mb Ram
ATI Radeon 9600
Creative Audigy ES sound card

As you can see i have a reasonable system to run thief, but everytime i click on new game or options it runs for about 3 seconds before the sound cuts out and the whole screen freezes, i cannot even open windows task manager and i have to restart the system

Can anyone please help me? and yes i have all latest drivers installed etc and have read the readme for thief, any help would be greatly apreciated

Thanx, Illmatic

illmatic
8th Jul 2004, 20:33
Bump

illmatic
8th Jul 2004, 20:55
Somebody pleeeeease help me out here, i NEED to play this game

illmatic
8th Jul 2004, 23:56
Does nobody know the cause of this? i have a game here i cannot play pleeeez sum1 help

Kheldin
9th Jul 2004, 00:40
Well lets start with the basics first..

Make sure you have all the latest drivers for everything in your system. Except for the ATI drivers. It's my understanding that for best results, you should be using the 4.4 version. Also, make sure you have all the Windows updates, latest DirectX blah blah.. You may also want to pay a visit to your motherboard manufacturer's website for any chipset drivers, particularly the AGP bus drivers.

If you've done all that, perhaps try reinstalling the game if you haven't already. Also, I think I've read here something about desktop resolution and game resolution. Probably not related at all, but what the hay, for testing purposes, make sure your desktop resolution and the game resolution aren't set the same.

In Windows, you can see if XP has logged any problems. Goto
Start --> Control Panel --> Administrator Tools --> Event Viewer

Look in the Application and System log files for any errors, double click them to read them. You can sort them by date to help pinpoint when the crash might have happened. Now this is assuming Windows has logged the error or problem, which it doesn't always do. But its always a good place to start looking. Alot of times you can see a module or 2 crashing that might be the cause of you problem.

It's a start, hope it helps.

vampire-falcon
9th Jul 2004, 06:01
Check out the thread labled "random crash n freeze"...

I started the thread and i ended fixing it myself...you can check it out though it it'll help...however, my problem was power related...

best of luck...

illmatic
9th Jul 2004, 06:10
Thanx, also i have the 4.7 ati drivers installed, im thinking that these are better than 4.4 for playing thief?

unit
9th Jul 2004, 11:48
I'm experiencing the same problem,

my system is as follows:
Athlon 64 3000+
Radeon 9800pro 128mb
1Gb Geil DDR400 ram

My processor is overclocked slightly.

find i have to save the game regularly because it locks up or crashes so often. I though it might be an overheating problem but my cpu fan seems to be running at around 49C when it crashes, which i'd gardly call hot.

Grant

illmatic
9th Jul 2004, 17:45
Ok its now workin! :D the problem was to do with my ati drivers, i had the latest ones and it still wouldnt work so i thought to myself why dont i reinstall my default drivers on the cd that came with the card, i installed and to my surprise the game finally was able to get past the options screen, thanx to the guy who said i should use an older driver

This game rocks :D

Kheldin
9th Jul 2004, 19:15
Originally posted by unit
I'm experiencing the same problem,

my system is as follows:
Athlon 64 3000+
Radeon 9800pro 128mb
1Gb Geil DDR400 ram

My processor is overclocked slightly.

find i have to save the game regularly because it locks up or crashes so often. I though it might be an overheating problem but my cpu fan seems to be running at around 49C when it crashes, which i'd gardly call hot.

Grant

Hello unit,

Which version ATI drivers are you running? I'd suggest the 4.4 drivers for now until they work things out. If your not running 4.4, go back to that version and try that out. If that doesn't help, check your Windows log file, how to get there is posted up above in this thread.