PDA

View Full Version : What is Hiroyuki Ito doing?

Yelvon
29th Jun 2012, 07:15
He directed FFIX and FFXII, we haven't seen a game from him this generation. Does anyone know what he is up to? A Famitsu interview that might of slip my sight?

Grimoire
29th Jun 2012, 07:21
Guardian Cross was released only a few days ago: www.square-enix.co.jp/smart/gc/ (http://www.square-enix.co.jp/smart/gc/)

Asuha
29th Jun 2012, 15:49
He's working on browser games at the moment...

Yelvon
29th Jun 2012, 22:07
Guardian Cross was released only a few days ago: www.square-enix.co.jp/smart/gc/ (http://www.square-enix.co.jp/smart/gc/)

Yes I know about that app game, I mean a game that has not come out yet that he is working on for consoles or Vita/3DS. Rumors, slightly implied, or confirmation from a Japanese publication.

Azure
30th Jun 2012, 01:38

Yes I know about that app game, I mean a game that has not come out yet that he is working on for consoles or Vita/3DS. Rumors, slightly implied, or confirmation from a Japanese publication.

I agree with you . It have been 6 years since his last Final Fantasy project . I dont believe that Guardian Cross is the only game he develop in 6 years .

RoyalJam
30th Jun 2012, 12:51
This guy needs to direct FF 15.

Yelvon
30th Jun 2012, 17:46
This guy needs to direct FF 15.

That is my dream...

member_10628951
30th Jun 2012, 18:33
I think Tabata should direct the NEXT main entry Final Fantasy. After Final Fantasy XV (Versus) of course ;).

Hala
30th Jun 2012, 19:20
I read recently on the net that Square Enix is open to the idea of a western developer taking on the next Final Fantasy… that mean the role of its original creators will be limited.

So if we are hoping that Hiroyuki Ito or Tabata (or any other )to direct the next FF,we will not get what we are expecting(for the better or worse)

Azure
1st Jul 2012, 04:25
I think Tabata should direct the NEXT main entry Final Fantasy. After Final Fantasy XV (Versus) of course ;).

No , Tabata should focus on his Type Series .

member_10628951
2nd Jul 2012, 01:34

And Ito should focus on his browser games (see how that works?).

I am not so sure about Ito directing the next Final Fantasy. While he IS better than Toriyama, I dont think he's better than Tetsuya Nomura, Hajime Tabata or Yoshinori Kitase. While IX and XII were certainly better than XIII, they weren't exactly shining stars either.

But anyone is better than Toriyama at this point. I just want to see Nomura have his shot at a main entry, numbered Final Fantasy. I swear that dude is made of creative magic. Everything he has worked on has turned to gold. And finishing up Hamlet a few hours ago has me really pumped for Versus XIII (XV ;D).

Anyways back to Hiroyuki Ito, the dude does fantastic work but I just doin't know about him making anymore Final Fantasy's. Maybe he should pull a Nomura and create is own series of RPG's. He is definately ambitious and I think he tries to tale something in his games that don't really fit into the greater worlds of Final Fantasy. I think if they were to give him something original that he can make his own I am sure it would be awesome.

Yelvon
2nd Jul 2012, 09:45

And Ito should focus on his browser games (see how that works?).

I am not so sure about Ito directing the next Final Fantasy. While he IS better than Toriyama, I dont think he's better than Tetsuya Nomura, Hajime Tabata or Yoshinori Kitase. While IX and XII were certainly better than XIII, they weren't exactly shining stars either.

But anyone is better than Toriyama at this point. I just want to see Nomura have his shot at a main entry, numbered Final Fantasy. I swear that dude is made of creative magic. Everything he has worked on has turned to gold. And finishing up Hamlet a few hours ago has me really pumped for Versus XIII (XV ;D).

Anyways back to Hiroyuki Ito, the dude does fantastic work but I just doin't know about him making anymore Final Fantasy's. Maybe he should pull a Nomura and create is own series of RPG's. He is definately ambitious and I think he tries to tale something in his games that don't really fit into the greater worlds of Final Fantasy. I think if they were to give him something original that he can make his own I am sure it would be awesome.

FFIX is considered the best FF in the series by a lot of actaul FF fans. FFXII is the most critically acclaimed FF in the series both in the west and in Japan.

Ito also directed FFVI with Kitase, the best FF for Nintendo consoles in my opinion.

member_10628951
2nd Jul 2012, 12:10
I agree about VI (III in the states at the time). However me and my roommate and a lot of our friends are in agreement that IX and XII weren't the best. Sure critically they were great but to a lot of fans both were missing a little something. Trust me I still have the PS1 cases and games for VIII and IX.

My friends and I actually debated a while back and constructed a list (from IV - XIII-2; most of us played from IV onwards) and here's what we got out of it:
1) Final Fantasy VII
2) Final Fantasy X (Chris won that argument)
3) Final Fantasy VI (David wanted it to be number 1 but the rest didnt agree)
4) Final Fantasy VIII (I pushed this one a lot with the group)
5) Final Fantasy IV (obviously it would be in the top 5)
6) Final Fantasy XI (we had a few MMO players in the group; after this one the rest kind of fell into place)
7) Final Fantasy V
8) Final Fantasy IX
9) Final Fantasy XII
10) Final Fantasy XIII-2
11) Final Fantasy X-2
12) Final Fantasy XIII

Oh my god I can't believe I got together with my 9 nerdiest friends and made this list. I have no life :(.

Anyways, as you can see from 9 Final Fantasy fans IX and XII didnt do so well among us. But that's just our opinion.

Yelvon
2nd Jul 2012, 14:05
I agree about VI (III in the states at the time). However me and my roommate and a lot of our friends are in agreement that IX and XII weren't the best. Sure critically they were great but to a lot of fans both were missing a little something. Trust me I still have the PS1 cases and games for VIII and IX. My friends and I actually debated a while back and constructed a list (from IV - XIII-2; most of us played from IV onwards) and here's what we got out of it: 1) Final Fantasy VII 2) Final Fantasy X (Chris won that argument) 3) Final Fantasy VI (David wanted it to be number 1 but the rest didnt agree) 4) Final Fantasy VIII (I pushed this one a lot with the group) 5) Final Fantasy IV (obviously it would be in the top 5) 6) Final Fantasy XI (we had a few MMO players in the group; after this one the rest kind of fell into place) 7) Final Fantasy V 8) Final Fantasy IX 9) Final Fantasy XII 10) Final Fantasy XIII-2 11) Final Fantasy X-2 12) Final Fantasy XIII Oh my god I can't believe I got together with my 9 nerdiest friends and made this list. I have no life :(. Anyways, as you can see from 9 Final Fantasy fans IX and XII didnt do so well among us. But that's just our opinion.

If you look at a FF pole on any FF fansite, you will see IX 1st, 2nd, or 3rd most if not all the time.

FF5 is the worst FF of all, the story is so forgettable. Especially after the quality of IV.

FFIX to this day remains the the best and most true Final Fantasy in the series. It is like the first entries in the game while upholding the new direction the game took with FFVII.

member_10740464
2nd Jul 2012, 14:34
Just like Azure said. http://na.square-enix.com/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-smile.gif

ShinGundam
2nd Jul 2012, 14:41
I agree about VI (III in the states at the time). However me and my roommate and a lot of our friends are in agreement that IX and XII weren't the best. Sure critically they were great but to a lot of fans both were missing a little something. Trust me I still have the PS1 cases and games for VIII and IX. My friends and I actually debated a while back and constructed a list (from IV - XIII-2; most of us played from IV onwards) and here's what we got out of it: 1) Final Fantasy VII 2) Final Fantasy X (Chris won that argument) 3) Final Fantasy VI (David wanted it to be number 1 but the rest didnt agree) 4) Final Fantasy VIII (I pushed this one a lot with the group) 5) Final Fantasy IV (obviously it would be in the top 5) 6) Final Fantasy XI (we had a few MMO players in the group; after this one the rest kind of fell into place) 7) Final Fantasy V 8) Final Fantasy IX 9) Final Fantasy XII 10) Final Fantasy XIII-2 11) Final Fantasy X-2 12) Final Fantasy XIII Oh my god I can't believe I got together with my 9 nerdiest friends and made this list. I have no life :(. Anyways, as you can see from 9 Final Fantasy fans IX and XII didnt do so well among us. But that's just our opinion.

If you look at a FF pole on any FF fansite, you will see IX 1st, 2nd, or 3rd most if not all the time.

FF5 is the worst FF of all, the story is so forgettable. Especially after the quality of IV.

FFIX to this day remains the the best and most true Final Fantasy in the series. It is like the first entries in the game while upholding the new direction the game took with FFVII.

FFIX feels like pixar/Disney meet traditional FF than classic adventure or a game that evoke late 80s and early 90s. I am not sure what are you trying to say by most true FF i am interested :)? Is that because it has a lot of cameos and references. Even FFVI isn't what i would call a classic either it was steampunk without crystals or fiends.

Yelvon
2nd Jul 2012, 15:42
FFIX feels like pixar/Disney meet traditional FF than classic adventure or a game that evoke late 80s and early 90s. I am not sure what are you trying to say by most true FF i am interested :)? Is that because it has a lot of cameos and references. Even FFVI isn't what i would call a classic either it was steampunk without crystals or fiends.

The first few entries after the first FF were static, they had few changes. FFIV, FFVI, and FFVII were daring and truly a new final fantasy in the sense of what Squeresoft define and strives to do. FFIX was just as daring and new, but it was more of a homage to the static days, in both story and gameplay.

Calling FFIX like a pixar/disney film is a far stretch since I know you are referencing what they have been doing for the past decade. Pixar only had Toy Story and a Bug's Life by the time FFIX was released. That quirky art style was never used by Disney til now.

member_10628951
2nd Jul 2012, 15:43
@cactuar Really? I would love to see those poll results. Link please?

Yelvon
2nd Jul 2012, 15:57
@cactuar Really? I would love to see those poll results. Link please?

Really? Like I would bookmark final fantasy polls I have witness through the years....

If you google it, you will find some stuff. Here:

FFIX gets 3rd in this fansite

www.finalfantasyforums.net/threads/37722... (http://www.finalfantasyforums.net/threads/37722-Best-Final-Fantasy-Game)

Scroll down, it was voted 3rd for best story here

www.funender.com/finalfantasy/forums/pol... (http://www.funender.com/finalfantasy/forums/poll.php)

Polls are subjective so its not to be taken serious, and FFVII always has an unfair advantage or wins everything. I have no doubt it would win best FPS if they put it up for that too. But its pretty telling, a game like FFIX that looks kiddie to some and does not have any "badass" "cool" protagonist is up there.

vitornavarrete
2nd Jul 2012, 17:00
Regarding IX: I've never played it much when it was released, mainly because I didn't own a psx at the time. So I got it at the begining of this year and played it on my ps2. It's really a great game: War between realms, a lot of Flying ships, storm of dragons, funny characters (Quina and Eiko), Drama (Vivi and the black mages), a likable main character (I love Cloud and Squall designs, but their personalities are a pain in the ass) etc etc. It's a very nice game with all a FF should have. Sure, there are some cliches. C'mom, Kuja and Zidane being "brothers"? Overused, but works nicely on the game.

But the game has a major flaw that I cannot forgive. Maybe someone here can explain it to me. From the 1rst CD we are introduced to Kuja, the antagonist. The story makes your rage towards him grows bigger and bigger. First he defeats your party, then you discover he is manipulating Queen Bhrane, he starts destroing every single city in the world, the scene of him destroing Terra is awesome. Comparing to Sephiroth and Ultimecia (I like to compare the FF games by console generation) we can say that he is the one who damages more the world in which he lives in.

Then you get to the final battle. Hatred and rage taking over me, dark powers starts flowing (KH fans will get). First he summons a monster. "Ok, he must be next". And then you face Kuja in trance form. It's a good battle, but not difficult. When you defeat him, he vanishes. Then the game gets me thinking: "Ok, now he will emerge like a gruesome kinda monster for the final showdown" but, no, just no. Some gruesome monster shows up, but it isn't Kuja, it's some Necron guy. "Man, the heck is this? I don't wanna fight this guy. He did nothing to me the entire game. He didn't make Garnet cry by killing her mother. He didn't destroyed Burmecia or killed almost every single member of Freya's race." That's what happened to me. The game took all my motivation to beat the final boss away. If they didn't wanted to change Kuja into a monster, then make Necron kills him and this enrage Zidane. Or makes Kuja saves the whole party from a deadly attack from Necron.

I won't talk more, because I could talk all day long how this last boss ruined a awesome game 'till that moment, and changed it into a ok game. But I think you can get the idea.

Yelvon
2nd Jul 2012, 22:08
Regarding IX: I've never played it much when it was released, mainly because I didn't own a psx at the time. So I got it at the begining of this year and played it on my ps2. It's really a great game: War between realms, a lot of Flying ships, storm of dragons, funny characters (Quina and Eiko), Drama (Vivi and the black mages), a likable main character (I love Cloud and Squall designs, but their personalities are a pain in the ass) etc etc. It's a very nice game with all a FF should have. Sure, there are some cliches. C'mom, Kuja and Zidane being "brothers"? Overused, but works nicely on the game.

But the game has a major flaw that I cannot forgive. Maybe someone here can explain it to me. From the 1rst CD we are introduced to Kuja, the antagonist. The story makes your rage towards him grows bigger and bigger. First he defeats your party, then you discover he is manipulating Queen Bhrane, he starts destroing every single city in the world, the scene of him destroing Terra is awesome. Comparing to Sephiroth and Ultimecia (I like to compare the FF games by console generation) we can say that he is the one who damages more the world in which he lives in.

Then you get to the final battle. Hatred and rage taking over me, dark powers starts flowing (KH fans will get). First he summons a monster. "Ok, he must be next". And then you face Kuja in trance form. It's a good battle, but not difficult. When you defeat him, he vanishes. Then the game gets me thinking: "Ok, now he will emerge like a gruesome kinda monster for the final showdown" but, no, just no. Some gruesome monster shows up, but it isn't Kuja, it's some Necron guy. "Man, the heck is this? I don't wanna fight this guy. He did nothing to me the entire game. He didn't make Garnet cry by killing her mother. He didn't destroyed Burmecia or killed almost every single member of Freya's race." That's what happened to me. The game took all my motivation to beat the final boss away. If they didn't wanted to change Kuja into a monster, then make Necron kills him and this enrage Zidane. Or makes Kuja saves the whole party from a deadly attack from Necron.

I won't talk more, because I could talk all day long how this last boss ruined a awesome game 'till that moment, and changed it into a ok game. But I think you can get the idea.

So you don't like cliches but would have preferred them as an ending?

I'll agree, Squeresoft liked to pull a wtf boss fight a lot. Look at FFX. But if that is so important to you, then you are not really enjoying the game. Kuja was the final boss to me, like Ject was for FFX to me. What happens after is part of the escape and the ending to me.

Azure
3rd Jul 2012, 04:26

Just because a boss that you hate the game ....do not know what else to say

vitornavarrete
3rd Jul 2012, 19:16
@Cactuar: I didn't said I don't like cliches, I said there was one, and that it works. There's nothing wrong about cliches, if you know how present it and don't make it forced. If you can read Bakuan sometime they explain a lot how use cliches and present them and all that stuff. And I said some cliche ending because I'm not a creative mind, at least for stories. If I was I would be creating my own stories instead of be criticizing others XD

@Azure: First, it's not because of a boss. It's the final boss. And I didn't said I hated the game. It's a very good one, overall. But there is something in the end that, for me, didn't work. The same way I hated the Harry Potter's epilogue. But it was after the end, therefore the name, epilogue. But imagine if after defeating Voldemort some other crazy black Wizard made an appearence, that would fell right, don't you think? But, that's my opnion, you don't have to agree with it. It's not like I'll make a petition to change it like people did with Mass Effect 3. I just said my opnion about the game because people were arguing if FF 9 is at the top or not.

Yelvon
4th Jul 2012, 09:30
@Cactuar: I didn't said I don't like cliches, I said there was one, and that it works. There's nothing wrong about cliches, if you know how present it and don't make it forced. If you can read Bakuan sometime they explain a lot how use cliches and present them and all that stuff. And I said some cliche ending because I'm not a creative mind, at least for stories. If I was I would be creating my own stories instead of be criticizing others XD

@Azure: First, it's not because of a boss. It's the final boss. And I didn't said I hated the game. It's a very good one, overall. But there is something in the end that, for me, didn't work. The same way I hated the Harry Potter's epilogue. But it was after the end, therefore the name, epilogue. But imagine if after defeating Voldemort some other crazy black Wizard made an appearence, that would fell right, don't you think? But, that's my opnion, you don't have to agree with it. It's not like I'll make a petition to change it like people did with Mass Effect 3. I just said my opnion about the game because people were arguing if FF 9 is at the top or not.

You are backtracking on the things you said. FFIX came out over a decade ago, it already is considered "at the top" for many years now. And I don't have any problems with cliches, I like them when they are used rarely, which makes me appreciate it more.

The Mass Effect 3 raging fan petition was just an overblown news bit. If anything had to be petitioned, it was the whole game because it sucked from beginning to end. I felt like I was watching a scene from every sci-fi film in existence at every corner.

vitornavarrete
4th Jul 2012, 13:06

You are backtracking on the things you said. FFIX came out over a decade ago, it already is considered "at the top" for many years now. And I don't have any problems with cliches, I like them when they are used rarely, which makes me appreciate it more.

The Mass Effect 3 raging fan petition was just an overblown news bit. If anything had to be petitioned, it was the whole game because it sucked from beginning to end. I felt like I was watching a scene from every sci-fi film in existence at every corner.

Just one more thing, since I think this kind of discussion, about game/book/film being awesome or not are pointless, because everyone has right to his own opinion. Sure, surveys and sells are a way to inquire popularity, but not quality (Twilight earned lots of money). I'll talk about the two polls you posted.

As a statistician I don't trust them to much. There are many reasons for that such as sample size and quality. But what worries most in this kind of survey is that, for you to choose the best Final Fantasy of all, you should have played everyone of then. And I'm pretty sure that everyone that voted didn't. For example, III was released in NA only in 2006 for DS and IOS/Android in 2011/2012. The survey in the first link is from 2010 (didn't find a date for the second one). So I can conclude that DS was the only option at the time they published it. From vgchartz.com we can see that FF III sold only 0.83 million while VII sold 3 million (only looking to NA sales). Henceforth VII has an advantage, because more people played it than III. But if we look to IX and XIII sales, that are on par, we could that assume that people prefer IX over XIII. But then again, that doesn't mean that everybody that choosed IX played XIII, so it's a very weak assumption. Statisticaly speaking, IX being third in this kind of biased pool could mean that actualy he is in first or all way to seventh place.

Yelvon
4th Jul 2012, 16:12
Just one more thing, since I think this kind of discussion, about game/book/film being awesome or not are pointless, because everyone has right to his own opinion. Sure, surveys and sells are a way to inquire popularity, but not quality (Twilight earned lots of money). I'll talk about the two polls you posted.

As a statistician I don't trust them to much. There are many reasons for that such as sample size and quality. But what worries most in this kind of survey is that, for you to choose the best Final Fantasy of all, you should have played everyone of then. And I'm pretty sure that everyone that voted didn't. For example, III was released in NA only in 2006 for DS and IOS/Android in 2011/2012. The survey in the first link is from 2010 (didn't find a date for the second one). So I can conclude that DS was the only option at the time they published it. From vgchartz.com we can see that FF III sold only 0.83 million while VII sold 3 million (only looking to NA sales). Henceforth VII has an advantage, because more people played it than III. But if we look to IX and XIII sales, that are on par, we could that assume that people prefer IX over XIII. But then again, that doesn't mean that everybody that choosed IX played XIII, so it's a very weak assumption. Statisticaly speaking, IX being third in this kind of biased pool could mean that actualy he is in first or all way to seventh place.

FFIX came out at the end of the PS1 era, like every other FF game that is not the first on a generation's console, it sold less than the first one that did.

And to defend FFVII here. Maybe the reason 7 is "the best" is because it was able to blow the way it did, and that should be enough because its hard to achieve such a thing anyway.

Hala
3rd Feb 2013, 08:54
I was reading these interviews,the man is very interesting !

cheack these out:

www.1up.com/features/final-fantasy-hiroy... (http://www.1up.com/features/final-fantasy-hiroyuki-ito-science)

www.ign.com/boards/threads/english-trans... (http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/english-translation-of-hiroyuki-ito-interview-from-the-ffxii-international-ultimania.190722331/)

FatSqueek
4th Feb 2013, 21:16
Something more worthwhile than Toriyama.

/thread.