PDA

View Full Version : Square Enix to stop big in-game development?

ZyzxxInfinity
28th Jun 2012, 09:47
www.geekosystem.com/square-enix-done-big... (http://www.geekosystem.com/square-enix-done-big-in-house-productions/)

Hironobu Sakaguchi, creator of Final Fantasy - GONE. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hironobu_Sakaguchi... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hironobu_Sakaguchi#Resignation_from_Square))
Nobuo Uematsu, original composer of Final Fantasy - GONE. (kotaku.com/024778/nobuo-uematsu-leaves-s... (http://kotaku.com/024778/nobuo-uematsu-leaves-square-enix))
Horimichi Tanaka, creator of Final Fantasy - GONE. (andriasang.com/con1mv/tanaka_leaves_sque... (http://andriasang.com/con1mv/tanaka_leaves_squenix/))
Tesuya Takahasi, creator of Xenogears - GONE. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetsuya_Takahashi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetsuya_Takahashi))*
Kazushige Nojima, writer for numerous Square games such as FFVII - GONE. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazushige_Nojima (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazushige_Nojima))
Yasumi Matsuno, creator of Final Fantast Tactics - GONE. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasumi_Matsuno#Squ... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasumi_Matsuno#Square_and_Square_Enix))

m.digitaltrends.com/gaming/final-fantasy... (http://m.digitaltrends.com/gaming/final-fantasy-xi-producer-leaves-square-enix-continuing-the-loss-of-key-staff-at-one-of-japans-most-respected-studios/)

"In April, three key staff members from Square’s internal studios left the company.*Dissidia Final Fantasy*main programmer Ryuji Ikeda, director Takeshi Arakawa, and*Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy*planner Shouta Shimoda all left the company to pursue new opportunities."

As a fan of Squaresoft (now Square Enix), and a consumer (to the point of almost considering stock options with Square Enix, SQNXF), I am becoming more and more concerned with how Square Enix is losing so many of both it's original developers, as well as newer ones too. Now on top of everything, , the director of Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2, has announced that Square Enix will be stopping big in-game development, or at the very least will be handing over some of the work to other developers.

So, for better of for worse after the honestly abysymal XIII/XIII-2, Square Enix is now also starting to only subsidize production and hand over their franchises to other development teams?

Am I the only one seeing all the signs? Am I also the only one who sees that the fanboys who aren't satisfied with the ORIGINAL FFVII are asking for a remake that would not include most of the people who made the game in the first place? Which would most likely mean expect a remake that "plays" like XIII/XIII-2. And considering Square Enix originally said they wanted to make battles feel like Advent Children when playing XIII, I don't see how that would be far off from the truth.

So I wonder what we can honestly expect at this rate from Square Enix. In a perfect world, I would love to see the irony of Square Enix handing over the development of Final Fantasy to Mistwalker*/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-laughing.gif*(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistwalker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistwalker)).

Grimoire
28th Jun 2012, 09:51
Quoting Ben Bateman (SEM EU):

"Outsourcing some of the work to other companies to make sure games hit their deadlines is quite common practice in the games industry. It's done at nearly all the large publishers and developers. The majority of the time it goes unnoticed as it's done under the strictest of quality measures. Ultimately if we're not pleased with the work it simply doesn't go in the game and the company will be asked to do it again. This is not a bad thing for gamers."

alexandreviera_
28th Jun 2012, 09:57
If you will stop making Final Fantasy, so it's best to close the doors, this is a lack of respect for all fans of the series, Final Fantasy Versus XIII is more than six years in production and has not been released, and Square is wasting time with games like this Hitman downgraded, and others. Finish Final Fantasy Versus and launch, then they can close the doors.http://na.square-enix.com/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-yell.gif*We Brazilian fans can not stand much ado over the launch Versus XIII

ZyzxxInfinity
28th Jun 2012, 10:04
Quoting Ben Bateman (SEM EU):

"Outsourcing some of the work to other companies to make sure games hit their deadlines is quite common practice in the games industry. It's done at nearly all the large publishers and developers. The majority of the time it goes unnoticed as it's done under the strictest of quality measures. Ultimately if we're not pleased with the work it simply doesn't go in the game and the company will be asked to do it again. This is not a bad thing for gamers."

Like I originally said, "for better or for worse". In my opinion, I think it would definitely be better, since Square Enix themselves can't seem to get it right.

www.geekosystem.com/final-fantasy-xiii-2... (http://www.geekosystem.com/final-fantasy-xiii-2-open-letter/)

That pretty much covers my qualms with XIII/XIII-2.

But between all the original creators leaving the company, and now this, what is there left of Square Enix, really? A shell of the two former great companies, Square and Enix, that just abuses the Final Fantasy title knowing the name alone will sell itself?

I am seriously expecting Square Enix to ultimately tank. It's not like dissolving the merger would fix anything anymore either. Final Fantasy can't go on forever, and if Square Enix keeps this up, the very same game franchise that was their last-ditch effort of salvaging the company (Square) will also be the game that causes their downfall. I would rather see Final Fantasy finish on a high note than be run into the ground by Final Fantasy XXIV or something (I don't see them honestly keeping the series past XX).*

Grimoire
28th Jun 2012, 10:08
...what is there left of Square Enix, really?

Tetsuya Nomura.

member_10770952
28th Jun 2012, 10:35
this isn't good.

member_10077577
28th Jun 2012, 10:51
...what is there left of Square Enix, really?

Tetsuya Nomura.

You're kind of right there. Nomura has been helping Square Enix a lot, and is probably the busiest person in the company. That's probably why Versus XIII and KH3 are taking too long to develop.

MagiusNecros
28th Jun 2012, 10:52
We have Nomura, Itou, and Tabata.

If you compare the PS1 era of Squaresoft to this era of Square Enix or more realistically Square Eidos you can clearly see they have dropped the ball on their grand name in terms of overall game quality.

All the good developers are leaving.* It's just that those that are left have the short end of the stick.

Grimoire
28th Jun 2012, 12:35
"All the good developers are leaving."

Then do something about it. Join the company!

eu.square-enix.com/en/jobs (http://eu.square-enix.com/en/jobs)

TheBoogeyBear
28th Jun 2012, 13:21
If you will stop making Final Fantasy, so it's best to close the doors, this is a lack of respect for all fans of the series, Final Fantasy Versus XIII is more than six years in production and has not been released, and Square is wasting time with games like this Hitman downgraded, and others. Finish Final Fantasy Versus and launch, then they can close the doors.*We Brazilian fans can not stand much ado over the launch Versus XIII

That's like asking Nintendo to stop developing games like The Legend of Zelda or Mario, or asking Capcom to stop making Resident Evil, MegaMan, and Street Fighter, or even asking Sega to stop making Sonic games. Those series are how most of these companies made a name for themselves. Asking them to stop is kinda asking them to stop walking (not literally but you get the idea.) SE is not wasting their time with Hitman: Absolution. They're only publishing the game, they're not even developing it. The developers for that game has always been IO Interactive. That means SE's only finacing the development, not really a waste of time.

And it's not like they're making Final Fantasy games every year. I promise you, as soon as they stop making Final Fantasy games, they're going to have a lot of pissy fans on their hands (maybe some happy ones too). Not saying that SE isn't capable of developing other games besides the FF franchise. But it has a history behind and it was something that made them the company they were today (besides when Square merged with Enix).

But if you're just so sure about how much they just need to stop making FF games, then please rally up all the Brazilian fans you can and you can head over to their Japanese location (they are located in Yoyogi, Shibuyaku, Tokyo in the Shinjuku Bunka Quint Building I think) you guys can all hold hands, sing songs, petition, and protest your little hearts out :)

cky182dude
28th Jun 2012, 14:13
You guys are losing hope on the greatest company of all time. Every company makes mistakes. FFXIII in my eyes wasn't even that bad. I noticed a lot of people never even actually understood the story, just played the game because they felt like they had to without even trying to understand what was going in-game. I actually liked FFXIII, and I've played EVERY single squaresoft, square-enix title. It didn't compare with FFVII or other great games but on it's own it wasn't that bad of a game. I feel like most of you just hated on it because you have the final fantasy series on this pedastal of great expectations. Trust me, I was dissapointed at first when playing through FFXIII, but then I stopped being stubborn and actually understood the story, appreciated the graphics and gameplay, and even got to like the characters.

I'm just saying, don't lose hope on the company over a few bad games, every company makes bad games. Last time I checked Kingdom Hearts is still awesome, TYPE-0 was amazing, and they're still making awesome games. Same company people. Just stop being so harsh. Square-Enix is definitely NOT going to tank.

Oh and don't forget about VERSUS XIII. I know all of you people who are trash talking square enix are still expecting this game and are buying it the day it comes out. If you just watch the gameplay you can already tell it's going to be amazing. Just be patient and learn to forgive and accept.

MagiusNecros
28th Jun 2012, 14:33
Square might not tank completely, but FF isn't the only thing they can make.* They were fools to announce the FNC games when little development was done with them.

The funny thing is that Type 0 is the only one that can pull it's own weight.(But XIII can get localized and not Type 0)* Let's be honest, XIII sold well because of name recognition and hype.

As for Versus, show me some summoning gameplay....oh wait you can't.* I wonder why.* Oh I think it's because we aren't being given any information on it at all.

hmzfier
28th Jun 2012, 14:36
Square Enix has a lot of titles in development and the Final Fantasy franchise shows no signs of slowing down! :D

The designers have a philosophy of creating new themes and characters so the games can have a fresh outlook on them, rather than simply recyclying elements from the previous series.

One of my favorite games in development is FF Versus 13. It's been in development for a while now, and only because the developers are really ambitious, as you can see from the trailers. Great graphics, real time battle systems, likeable characters, and what seems to be a really interesting storyline. I can't wait for this to come out!

That being said, the Final Fantasy series will continue to grow and I think these games can only get better!

Grimoire
28th Jun 2012, 14:49
It's been in development for a while now, and only because the developers are really ambitious, as you can see from the trailers.

*...I thought Nomura said that parts of*the team*were constantly out*on loan to other projects,*like DRAGON QUEST IX and FINAL FANTASY XIV?*

Alestes
28th Jun 2012, 15:04
I've gotten the impression that a lot of japanese developers generally don't like to work on huge AAA projects, but prefer small scale developers where ~15 developers or less instead of 100+ developers can make an awesome game like in the 90s. And that kind of development is now found in portable gaming, both for mobile phones and the 3DS/PS Vita. Mobile phone gaming seem to be extremely huge in Japan.

I think one part of this is because in the japanese working culture the director supervise everything, and in the huge productions that AAA games require, that's nearly impossible. While in the western working culture using managers and more producers is more common. I don't actually know for sure if this is true, but it's the impression I've got from reading various articles and interviews. And then Keiji Inafune said in some interview a while ago that in the large gaming companies in Japan the employees doesn't really anymore have any incentive to make an effort, but just sit there messing around a little and collect the paychecks. Lots of bloated inefficiency.

member_10827409
28th Jun 2012, 15:23
whoa that's bad.

TheBoogeyBear
28th Jun 2012, 15:31
Square might not tank completely, but FF isn't the only thing they can make.* They were fools to announce the FNC games when little development was done with them.

The funny thing is that Type 0 is the only one that can pull it's own weight.(But XIII can get localized and not Type 0)* Let's be honest, XIII sold well because of name recognition and hype.

As for Versus, show me some summoning gameplay....oh wait you can't.* I wonder why.* Oh I think it's because we aren't being given any information on it at all.

Ye of so little faith ^.^ No wonder Type-0 didn't get localized. I wouldn't want to localize it either if it meant unappreciative people were going to play it. It sold well in Japan's market, so maybe they should keep it in Japan's market and not bring it overseas at all. You said so yourself "Type 0 is the only one that can pull it's own weight." If you didn't like XIII then that is totally fine, you don't have to like every game they developed. But as far as what you are complaining about, I don't understand. It's not like you're doing anything about it.

You're like one of those people who'll eat at a restaurant and complain about the food, but the next day... you're back for more. If you don't like the food, don't sit at the table right?

MagiusNecros
28th Jun 2012, 15:41
Unfortunately for you.* I am doing something about it.* Since a unofficial localization is in the works for Type 0.* Which I am part of.* I just don't like Toriyama and I have valid reasons for that.* Just look at Parasite Eve and Front Mission Evolved.* I bought the JP Version of Type 0 quite fine.* And I didn't buy XIII/XIII-2 because I recognize quality over pretty graphics.* So please get over yourself.* I don't need to like everything.* But when I dislike something I am going to run my big fat mouth about it.* On a side note, Bravely Default is going to be AMAZING.* And HEY!* Where's my FFV 20th Anniversary remake.* You have no problem shelling out FFIV every other year?

TheBoogeyBear
28th Jun 2012, 15:53
Aww! Look at you telling people to get over themselves. That's so cute it made me laugh :) Feel like a champ now big guy? It's not unfortunate for me at all that you are doing something. In fact I insist you do something about it. Cause if you don't like something you work to change it right? I say good for you and you keep on trucking man :D Fight the power right?

MarcuSxZavaLa
28th Jun 2012, 16:00
Lol at the end:)

MagiusNecros
28th Jun 2012, 16:06
Indeed.* ONWARDS TO THE FINAL FANTASY!

Hala
28th Jun 2012, 18:08
First of all square enix *is not made only of FF alone .your title says( Is Square Enix a steadily sinking ship? Now stopping big in-game...)

And obviously you and the others are generally complaining about only FF, and not about Square Enix *As A Whole. They have great games other than FF, and recently Edius has added a great side for the company’s profile.

(for FF) they only faced some technical problems in the past, it is not the end of the world…

FF is meant to present original ideas with every entry…so it is natural that they can’t completely satisfy all fans.

The names you mentioned who left the company are not an evidence that square enix is a steadily sinking ship. Some of them will maybe not return, but that is normal in all companies talents just come and go…and by the way two of the most significant ones you had mentioned did not break every bound with Square enix , Nobuo Uematsu who recently composed the music for ffxiv, and Kazushige Nojima is the Scenario Writer for the upcoming FFXIIIVERSUS.

I will remind you of some brilliant names who are still working at square enix , Yoshinori Kitase (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Yoshinori_Kitase), Shinji Hashimoto (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Shinji_Hashimoto), Hiroyuki It? (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Hiroyuki_It%C5%8D),Tetsuya Nomura (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Tetsuya_Nomura), Hajime Tabata (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Hajime_Tabata) *Takeshi Nozue (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Takeshi_Nozue), Yoko Shimomura (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Yoko_Shimomura), ….etc

If you think they are not worth enough then all I can say is wake up !

and guess what ,they are only from Square side! Sure there are a lot of other wonderful people working on games other than FF…maybe they are not famous enough but still exist.

Bhalditar
28th Jun 2012, 18:21
Nobuo Uematsu composed Final Fantasy XIV's soundtrack and works with Square Enix on the Distant Worlds tour.

Many of the staff listed have gone freelance like Kazushige Nojima, meaning that they can still work with Square Enix.

As far as internal development goes, it's not that you won't see huge projects from Japan anymore - it's just that the gruntwork is going to be handled by an outside contractor. The design aspect will be handled by Square Enix's production departments.

In fact, many of your favorite Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts spinoffs have likely had outside contractors working on them.*

member_10333514
28th Jun 2012, 21:05
After reading the layout of the team and number of artist vs. programmers/gameplay designers they had for FFXIII... It is clear that square needs better management. Also it sounded like they were having a hard time dealing with the technology (As many Japanese devs this gen have)

I hope that square doesn’t just give up and roll over on this, learn from your mistakes and move on. You guys still have amazing talent.

Summoner
28th Jun 2012, 23:47
I kinda hope maybe one day I can help design creatively for Square in the future, it's like, my dream. lol

YukiTsubaki
29th Jun 2012, 00:29
Personally, I'm absolutely ok with the fact that FF XIII Versus is taking its time to be released. I would much rather have a masterpiece than one that was rushed because the fans are getting impatient. We've had two FF XIII releases while we've been waiting for this one....right? They SHOULD take their time and do this one right.

As far as SE making other games in the meantime, this too is neccesary. FF is SE's flagship title, and they can't crank one out every year. Bills pile up, developers need to get paid, you get the idea. They have to make gil in the meantime (Or else they'd have Rin and the rest of his Al Bhed Mafia banging on their door...) While few of these "tide us over" games appeal to me, there are others who enjoy them. It comes down to preference, the same as those who only like the FF XIII series and those of us who like some of their older titles. If everyone thought the same way in this world, it would be a very boring place, no?

keen77
29th Jun 2012, 01:37
Surprised to read so many unsupportive and fatalistic comments by so called "fans." I love Square-Enix, always have; played and replayed each of their games except X, X-2, XI, and XIV (the former two are up next for me.) It was a real pleasure to play the original Final Fantasy on iPad, and though VI has been my favorite since it came out, XIII-2 is now a very close second. Square-Enix stays creating and providing a top notch gaming experience.*http://na.square-enix.com/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-smile.gif

Anyways. http://na.square-enix.com/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-cool.gif*

I agree with poster who said if you think they've lost some mojo since veterans retired, join up yourself if you feel you could follow in their footsteps. If I were more technically inclined I would pursue the path to that dream in a heartbeat. http://na.square-enix.com/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-laughing.gif

keen77
29th Jun 2012, 01:43
Personally, I'm absolutely ok with the fact that FF XIII Versus is taking its time to be released. I would much rather have a masterpiece than one that was rushed because the fans are getting impatient. We've had two FF XIII releases while we've been waiting for this one....right? They SHOULD take their time and do this one right.

As far as SE making other games in the meantime, this too is neccesary. FF is SE's flagship title, and they can't crank one out every year. Bills pile up, developers need to get paid, you get the idea. They have to make gil in the meantime (Or else they'd have Rin and the rest of his Al Bhed Mafia banging on their door...) While few of these "tide us over" games appeal to me, there are others who enjoy them. It comes down to preference, the same as those who only like the FF XIII series and those of us who like some of their older titles. If everyone thought the same way in this world, it would be a very boring place, no?

This.

I'm delighted Square-Enix has so expanded their portfolio within the recent past.

(DISCLAIMER: As long as they don't become like EA, always tooting their own horn, strutting around, buying out too many other companies and ruining game franchises while producing nothing but watered-down, mediocre crap. Knowing Square though I don't think that'd be ever possible) /tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-wink.gif

szymonwejnert
29th Jun 2012, 01:55
www.geekosystem.com/square-enix-done-big... (http://www.geekosystem.com/square-enix-done-big-in-house-productions/)

Hironobu Sakaguchi, creator of Final Fantasy - GONE. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hironobu_Sakaguchi... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hironobu_Sakaguchi#Resignation_from_Square))
Nobuo Uematsu, original composer of Final Fantasy - GONE. (kotaku.com/024778/nobuo-uematsu-leaves-s... (http://kotaku.com/024778/nobuo-uematsu-leaves-square-enix))
Horimichi Tanaka, creator of Final Fantasy - GONE. (andriasang.com/con1mv/tanaka_leaves_sque... (http://andriasang.com/con1mv/tanaka_leaves_squenix/))
Tesuya Takahasi, creator of Xenogears - GONE. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetsuya_Takahashi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetsuya_Takahashi))*
Kazushige Nojima, writer for numerous Square games such as FFVII - GONE. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazushige_Nojima (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazushige_Nojima))
Yasumi Matsuno, creator of Final Fantast Tactics - GONE. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasumi_Matsuno#Squ... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasumi_Matsuno#Square_and_Square_Enix))

m.digitaltrends.com/gaming/final-fantasy... (http://m.digitaltrends.com/gaming/final-fantasy-xi-producer-leaves-square-enix-continuing-the-loss-of-key-staff-at-one-of-japans-most-respected-studios/)

"In April, three key staff members from Square’s internal studios left the company.*Dissidia Final Fantasy*main programmer Ryuji Ikeda, director Takeshi Arakawa, and*Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy*planner Shouta Shimoda all left the company to pursue new opportunities."

As a fan of Squaresoft (now Square Enix), and a consumer (to the point of almost considering stock options with Square Enix, SQNXF), I am becoming more and more concerned with how Square Enix is losing so many of both it's original developers, as well as newer ones too. Now on top of everything, , the director of Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2, has announced that Square Enix will be stopping big in-game development, or at the very least will be handing over some of the work to other developers.

So, for better of for worse after the honestly abysymal XIII/XIII-2, Square Enix is now also starting to only subsidize production and hand over their franchises to other development teams?

Am I the only one seeing all the signs? Am I also the only one who sees that the fanboys who aren't satisfied with the ORIGINAL FFVII are asking for a remake that would not include most of the people who made the game in the first place? Which would most likely mean expect a remake that "plays" like XIII/XIII-2. And considering Square Enix originally said they wanted to make battles feel like Advent Children when playing XIII, I don't see how that would be far off from the truth.

So I wonder what we can honestly expect at this rate from Square Enix. In a perfect world, I would love to see the irony of Square Enix handing over the development of Final Fantasy to Mistwalker**(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistwalker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistwalker)).

hey guys i was wondering if anyone knows if final fantasy type 0 for psp has english subtitles,i am thinking about importing it but as i can not speak japanese i need to know wether it does or not,thanks

Sefyre
29th Jun 2012, 02:55
I've gotten the impression that a lot of japanese developers generally don't like to work on huge AAA projects, but prefer small scale developers where ~15 developers or less instead of 100+ developers can make an awesome game like in the 90s. And that kind of development is now found in portable gaming, both for mobile phones and the 3DS/PS Vita. Mobile phone gaming seem to be extremely huge in Japan.

I think one part of this is because in the japanese working culture the director supervise everything, and in the huge productions that AAA games require, that's nearly impossible. While in the western working culture using managers and more producers is more common. I don't actually know for sure if this is true, but it's the impression I've got from reading various articles and interviews. And then Keiji Inafune said in some interview a while ago that in the large gaming companies in Japan the employees doesn't really anymore have any incentive to make an effort, but just sit there messing around a little and collect the paychecks. Lots of bloated inefficiency.

You may be on to something there and I would actually suggest that one of the reasons some of the bigger names are leaving or moving on to other projects is because the game development 'culture' itself has changed over time.

Back in the day, you COULD spend who knows how long to work on something and perfect it and in a smaller and more intimate team of people whom you would get to know and know well.* Today, to keep up, a lot of work is spread out everywhere so deadlines can be met and there is less time for the fine-tuning and all of the other littler things (compared to the bigger picture).* Not saying that these littler things aren't as important to other companies, but given the Japanese culture, these 'littler things' could very well be considered 'bigger things'.

I mean, if you're used to being able to oversee everything right here and now and/or to be able to immediately consult with XYZ person in that room over there about fixing or testing or prototyping ABC idea, then having to deal with all of the ramifications involved with a growing company and a company that needs to keep up with its competitors in this day and age could very well be a bit of a 'culture shock'.

That said... I feel SE - like many other older companies - are going through some growing pains (perhaps even some rather painful ones - both to the company and to the supporters of the company... there was actually an article about this in Game Informer half a year ago or so-ish), but since I've stuck around with them for this long, I can and will definitely stick around longer.

Painful doesn't necessarily have to equal bad is how I see it.

Grimoire
29th Jun 2012, 02:57
hey guys i was wondering if anyone knows if final fantasy type 0 for psp has english subtitles,i am thinking about importing it but as i can not speak japanese i need to know wether it does or not,thanks

No, both of the demos and the game itself are in Japanese only.

ShinGundam
29th Jun 2012, 04:37
*Facepalm*Square won't give up on big game development and the talents are eventually will be replaced because this industry isn't rigid or static, some people want to became independents, freelancers or even invest in different spaces such as mobile or web browser. Nothing about that has to do with Square is a sinking ship.

And to be honest fans shouldn't even care about it at all what fans should ask company to improve games selection, this year is really barren as far as Japanese development goes. They should ask for more variety as well.

MagiusNecros
29th Jun 2012, 09:37
Ninja'd

Asuha
29th Jun 2012, 15:59
Everyone always forgets poor Kawazu...

vitornavarrete
29th Jun 2012, 16:35
First of all square enix *is not made only of FF alone .your title says( Is Square Enix a steadily sinking ship? Now stopping big in-game...)

And obviously you and the others are generally complaining about only FF, and not about Square Enix *As A Whole. They have great games other than FF, and recently Edius has added a great side for the company’s profile.

(for FF) they only faced some technical problems in the past, it is not the end of the world…

FF is meant to present original ideas with every entry…so it is natural that they can’t completely satisfy all fans.

The names you mentioned who left the company are not an evidence that square enix is a steadily sinking ship. Some of them will maybe not return, but that is normal in all companies talents just come and go…and by the way two of the most significant ones you had mentioned did not break every bound with Square enix , Nobuo Uematsu who recently composed the music for ffxiv, and Kazushige Nojima is the Scenario Writer for the upcoming FFXIIIVERSUS.

I will remind you of some brilliant names who are still working at square enix , Yoshinori Kitase (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Yoshinori_Kitase), Shinji Hashimoto (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Shinji_Hashimoto), Hiroyuki It? (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Hiroyuki_It%C5%8D),Tetsuya Nomura (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Tetsuya_Nomura), Hajime Tabata (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Hajime_Tabata) *Takeshi Nozue (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Takeshi_Nozue), Yoko Shimomura (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Yoko_Shimomura), ….etc

If you think they are not worth enough then all I can say is wake up !

and guess what ,they are only from Square side! Sure there are a lot of other wonderful people working on games other than FF…maybe they are not famous enough but still exist.

Yoko Shimomura is a freelancer now too, as Uematsu. Still composing for Kingdom Hearts, though. And I hope she will stick till the end of the series. She's a great composer and togheter with Uematsu and Koji Kondo, makes the triforce of japanese game music for me XD

As for great names leaving companies: I think this is common in the japanese culture. Let's take an example from another company, Hideo Kojima. He's the creator of Metal Gear series, in my opnion, the most famous Konami franchise. And, nowadays, he has his own company. But, still making Metal Gear games that are, indeed, published by Konami. Reasons for owning your own company: You can negotiate better how much you'll earn with each project instead of asking for a better paycheck; You can engage in another projects and decide which one to do or not; and, you know, some people enjoy being ther own bosses.

Concluding, if you assume that Sakaguchi and cia not working anymore for SE is the end of FF is the same as thinking that when Miyamoto retires Mario and Zelda games will suck. But, you know, Miyamoto has been working less and less on these titles and making other things that appeal more to his todays taste like Pikmin.

Alestes
29th Jun 2012, 17:23
As for great names leaving companies: I think this is common in the japanese culture. Let's take an example from another company, Hideo Kojima. He's the creator of Metal Gear series, in my opnion, the most famous Konami franchise. And, nowadays, he has his own company. But, still making Metal Gear games that are, indeed, published by Konami.

Going freelance isn't really that common in japanese culture. It's something that really grown in the last decade or so, especially in the gaming business, but before that you were pretty much expected to stay loyal to one company all your life.

Also, Hideo Kojima doesn't have his own company, Kojima Productions is owned by Konami JPN Ltd (which in turn is a subsidiary of Konami Corporation). It's just that his name have a certain brand value now, so they took advantage of that when they were renaming one of their internal studios back in 2005. Although he is a member of the Konami board now, so that's something.

It's like*Square-Enix would rename their interal 1st Production Department studio to Yoshinori Kitase Productions or whatever, except very few know who he is. His name doesn't really have any brand value. The developers of Square-Enix who did have some kind of brand value, rockstar status or whatever, are no longer there. Which is pretty much the whole point of this thread.

Azure
30th Jun 2012, 01:16
As for great names leaving companies: I think this is common in the japanese culture. Let's take an example from another company, Hideo Kojima. He's the creator of Metal Gear series, in my opnion, the most famous Konami franchise. And, nowadays, he has his own company. But, still making Metal Gear games that are, indeed, published by Konami.

Going freelance isn't really that common in japanese culture. It's something that really grown in the last decade or so, especially in the gaming business, but before that you were pretty much expected to stay loyal to one company all your life.

Also, Hideo Kojima doesn't have his own company, Kojima Productions is owned by Konami JPN Ltd (which in turn is a subsidiary of Konami Corporation). It's just that his name have a certain brand value now, so they took advantage of that when they were renaming one of their internal studios back in 2005. Although he is a member of the Konami board now, so that's something.

It's like*Square-Enix would rename their interal 1st Production Department studio to Yoshinori Kitase Productions or whatever, except very few know who he is. His name doesn't really have any brand value. The developers of Square-Enix who did have some kind of brand value, rockstar status or whatever, are no longer there. Which is pretty much the whole point of this thread.

I think Yoshinori Kitase is still more popular than Hiroyuki Ito . Kitase is best known through direct FF7 while Ito is rarely mentioned or even unknown .* Although his achievements for the FF and Square is enormous and probably on par with the Sakaguchi

member_10740464
2nd Jul 2012, 14:24
Good day to you SQUARE ENIX MEMBERS! ^_^ I hope everything is just fine and all! ^.^ now about this general discussion...

Alright guys, Would you settle down with your terrifying and hating comments about SQAURE ENIX just because of just one game still in developing, "VERSUS" please? ^_^

Before I'll post my reply to this interesting thread by our fellow friend, Zyzxx ^.^ I would like to mention one important thing: there's a HUGE difference between SQUARE ENIX hardcore fans (such as myself and many others who own every SE title and cares about not only the games, but the entire gaming industry from SE perspective) and FF/KH only fans (such as so many other new casual gamers who cares only about playing one type of games with the same famous titles such as FF/KH series). ^_^

Why a lot of people think that SQUARE ENIX is only exists just for making FF/KH games? ^.^ to tell you the truth, this is really getting in my nerves so deep that I want to shout! >.< LOL ^.^ I mean... how dare us talking bad about one of the greatest game companies of all time like SQUARE ENIX? ^_^ the same company who brought us not only the beloved FINAL FANTASY & KINGDOM HEARTS games, but STAR OCEAN & DRAGON QUEST games as well ^.^ and of course, titles from "Square Soft - Enix" are no exception! like my all time favorite, VAGRANT STORY which is now available on PSN store and VALKYRIE PROFILE LENNETH which has been remastered on PSP, bringing us the old golden era once again! ^.^

Oh! and don't forget about "EIDOS - IOE" has becomes a massive part of SQUARE ENIX now ^.^ by publishing/developing awesome titles like TOMB RAIDER, HITMAN, JUST CAUSE and many more! ^_^ not only on home gaming consules like PS3-XBOX360-Wii or handheld gaming consules like PSP-DS-3DS, but on varios entertainment systems such as Android, iPad, iPhone! what more could we ask for?!? ^.^

Now this is my post (I wanted to say more by the way): I'm not saying SQUARE ENIX hasn't made any mistakes recently... ^_^ nor SE booth was very great in E3 2012... ^.^ all I want to say here is nothing is perfect ^.^ it is true some epic developers like: Hironobu Sakaguchi (Head of MISTWALKER), Nobuo Uematsu and Kazushige Nojima has left the company 2-3 years ago ^_^ but that doesn't mean SQUARE ENIX is going to sink just because of that! >.< as for the long waited FF game VERSUS, simply I will say this: give Tetsuya Nomura his time making this game and stop throw your random expectations and conclusions at him and his team! >.< for me personally, the main reason why the game has been delayed this much is because of you impatient*guys! ^.^

I'm a Square Soft - Enix "SQUARE ENIX" hard to the core fan for very long time ^_^ and I'll be that way till the very end! ^.^ I love you SQUARE ENIX and I'll keep supporting you by buying your games and by waiting patiently for your ground shaking projects in the future! ^.^ among them the infamous and most wanted: VERSUS! ^.^