PDA

View Full Version : Please help me revive Garrett! Thief Dark Project / Direct3D / Win XP woes

Dryzzt
17th Jun 2004, 14:22
Hi,

I wonder if this is the right place to ask, but I could not find a solution on the Net, and where else should I ask how to revive good ol' Garrett...

I can't get the original "Dark Project" (not "Thief Gold") to run on my Windows XP machine anymore, probably due to video driver issues. The error message displayed is

ERROR: Direct3d device driver does not accurately report texture memory usage.
Contact your 3d accelerator vendor for updated drivers.

I'm using Windows XP with all patches applied and a NVIDIA FX 5900 graphics card with 128 MB and the latest WHQL certified drivers (56.72) released April 1, 2004. I also used Thief Patch 1.33, which, as far as I know, is the latest one available for the original Thief release.

Any ideas? Installing Windows 98 is not really what I'd like to do, because it would probably be a major pain to get decent Win 98 drivers for all the modern hardware.

Your help is appreciated!

DJC
17th Jun 2004, 14:37
Check out this section (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75031#texturememory) of our Thief FAQ over at TTLG. :)

Dryzzt
17th Jun 2004, 15:28
Halleluja! :) This patch (http://www.thief-thecircle.com/download.asp?fid=726) really works. Thanks a lot, DJC!

I only wonder why Google and Yahoo did not come up with it, because the search patterns I used were taken from the actual error message displayed.

BigBears2
17th Jun 2004, 19:21
I am just wondering why those patches aren't listed on the updates page for the game? Must be one of those wierd mysteries of the internet or edios or both. lol

DJC
18th Jun 2004, 05:34
They are not official patches, they are fan made.

BigBears2
18th Jun 2004, 13:25
Oh ok. They should get them then after all most of the work is already done for them. Thanks for the info with a little work they worked for me too. If it would help anyone I have a SB Audigy and had to turn off the hardware sound in the options or it wouldn't run even with the patches but may be just my bad luck.

Thanks again.