PDA

View Full Version : Please make Final Fantasy like you used too!

Pages : [1] 2

member_10522612
5th Jun 2012, 17:32
Mini games and the games over all increasing "cheesiness", if you will, scare me.

The mini games, the singing...all of the kiddy garbage, need to disappear from this series before KH3 comes out. This series has been around since I was in Middle School, for the love of God. I am 23 now, about to get my degree in graphic design, and...the fact of the matter is that long time fans, such as my self, are still playing this game. But..because it has gotten so...childish, we're simply playing it for the story now.

The story, #1: needs to come to an end. I don't want to see it dragged out any longer. I love this series to death, and the first 2 games were earth shattering. The music, the gameplay, but mostly the story, were phenomenal. But now it's gotten to the point where I truly want to see it end..and on a good note.

Kingdom Hearts needs to come back to the big consoles, secondly. Every time you guys release a game on a handheld system, you are cutting your profits down by a huge amount. Sure, people buy these games, but not as many as would on the big guys. Birth By Sleep on the ps3 (or even 360 for that matter) would have been a bigger hit than on the PSP (which has been a dead system since...well, forever). Of course, you would have had to remove the mini games (which I would have been fine with because they did not contribute to the story at all).

#3: I loved the idea of Disney and Square in the beginning. For the first 2 games, it worked. But, again, I go back to my previous statement about how it is becoming too childish. Sora, Riku, Kairi and the lot of them are adults now, for the love of all that is good and holy. They need to act as such. They are fighting the forces of darkness that threaten the entire universe. With those things in mind...I don't think they would be acting like they have been.

Basically, what I'm getting at here is; Make the game more mature. Because that's the majority of the audience that is playing this and waiting for KH3. We have been for years now. Sure, there are a handful of kids that play the series, and that's all well and good. And I'm not saying make it rated M. Not by any means. I'm just saying make it more on the level of the majority. Again, we have all mostly graduated High School and are in College right now.

Do it Square! I know you can! I don't know if you guys read this, but I really hope you do. I want to see this series return to its former glory, and end on a phenomenal note like the first and second did.

member_10550535
5th Jun 2012, 17:57
You have to keep in mind that this is Disney we're talking about here, they wouldn't give SE full rights to completely make it all an intense story like it could've been. Disney set limits, and SE works with those limits. Like you saidm the first two were great, and that was with the given limits, I'm sure SE will do well with KH3, so worrying over that fact is pointless.

member_10803141
5th Jun 2012, 19:15
Every time you guys release a game on a handheld system, you are cutting your profits down by a huge amount.

Someone hire this guy for your financial division now gogogo!

Lol no but seriously, why do you think a game on a 'big' system would heed more profits?

Sure, they hit you for $60 instead of $30 for a handheld title, but not everyone is so willing to blow $60 off the bat to get that game immediately. ALOT of people simply wait to get it used, hence cutting profits that SE would have made.

However, a $30 title is alot more sensible, people wouldn't mind picking it up right off release as much.

So in all honesty, do you think that simply porting/bringing a game to the PS3/360 would make them more money? Also I would assume they would spend a greater amount of money simply making the game for a new gen system rather then a handheld, more people working on the project, etc etc.

member_10637174
5th Jun 2012, 19:45
I see your point but name one thing disney has done good in the last five years with there stuff, and disney is aways hooking up deals sooo I don't think it will ever be for the ps3 or xbox360 sad facts

Falchia
9th Jun 2012, 01:48
Truth be told, the removal of minigames and the "kiddy element" and leaning towards a more "mature" aspect in no way guarantees a superior game. While I personally prefer playing on handhelds as I have little time to dedicate to sitting down and getting a decent gaming session in, Kingdom Hearts does have many aspects that are better attributed to handheld systems. Asides from that, even now, it's less likely that players actually do have consoles at all. Even if they were to develop titles for them exclusively, they are putting even more at risk by putting forward all the resources and manpower in order to develop a game like what you may be expecting.

We can all respect each other's opinions here, and I do agree that the 15-16 year-olds I know do not act like Sora, Riku and Kairi at all. In fact, they actually act less mature. They are actually acting their age, perhaps not in your eyes, but being in one's mid-to-late teens does not require one to behave as though they can't spare any positivity in their lives. If not that, then perhaps we are playing different games. I can understand it if you have a gripe with Sora "not acting his age", but it's pretty odd that Riku and Kairi would be accused of the same.

Yeah, we've grown up. But that doesn't mean the series has to grow up with us. It doesn't mean that Kingdom Hearts has to fit our tastes and our tastes alone just because we were the initial audience back during the release of the first title. In all honesty I think the rate they're going at is fine. It's evolving at its own pace, and even if we're still miles apart, one or the other is bound to catch up eventually.

member_10074094
10th Jun 2012, 11:06
I agree!!! Leave Kingdom Hearts alone. The only thing I would change about Sora is make him less of a puppet... seriously, its like Ansem the Wise and Riku and Mickey are secretly directing everything he does in KH2, and the Organization as well, and they all just direct him to where Pete or Maleficent are causing trouble because they all want dead heartless for different reasons. Sora isn't very intelligent but at least in KH and CoM he DID stuff on his own... even had conflicts with Donald and Goofy and he actually got MAD at times, stabbed himself with a keyblade... lately its like we already know that he is special, so everyone else just uses his specialness to get the job done and he really doesn't have much say in anything.

But yes, the maturity and minigames are fine where they are. Its a kid's game and should stay that way. I can think of a million games, animes, tv shows, ect that I could go to if I want something more serious. But I don't rely on KH to fill in that need, and I actually prefer KH to be friendlier when I want a break from the darker stuff.

Persiangato
10th Jun 2012, 14:31
If anything, I find Kingdom Hearts trying to be too serious. I'm concerned about the plot. It's become complex to the point that even the Days of Our Lives family ancestry charts are less confusing. Everybody is a part of somebody else. Darkness everywhere. Time travel? May Square Enix have mercy on our souls.

Minigames seem fine. The fact this could become a soap opera or at least a TV sitcom is what upsets me. Wonder what Square would name that though.

Nobodies Love Xehanort?

General Keyblade?

Days of Our Heartless?

member_10822883
10th Jun 2012, 19:34
If anything, I find Kingdom Hearts trying to be too serious. I'm concerned about the plot. It's become complex to the point that even the Days of Our Lives family ancestry charts are less confusing. Everybody is a part of somebody else. Darkness everywhere. Time travel? May Square Enix have mercy on our souls.

That's how I feel too; I've always felt the Disney element kept the rest of the game in check, hence why KHII was such a disappointment with its lesser emphasis on the Disney worlds being part of the plot. I think Birth By Sleep is much more on track, so hopefully the next game handles the dichotomy like that and not like KHII. I haven't played 358/2 or Coded, so I can't say for those.

Jadeim
12th Jun 2012, 10:22
Mini games and the games over all increasing "cheesiness", if you will, scare me.

The mini games, the singing...all of the kiddy garbage, need to disappear from this series before KH3 comes out. This series has been around since I was in Middle School, for the love of God. I am 23 now, about to get my degree in graphic design, and...the fact of the matter is that long time fans, such as my self, are still playing this game. But..because it has gotten so...childish, we're simply playing it for the story now.

The story, #1: needs to come to an end. I don't want to see it dragged out any longer. I love this series to death, and the first 2 games were earth shattering. The music, the gameplay, but mostly the story, were phenomenal. But now it's gotten to the point where I truly want to see it end..and on a good note.

Kingdom Hearts needs to come back to the big consoles, secondly. Every time you guys release a game on a handheld system, you are cutting your profits down by a huge amount. Sure, people buy these games, but not as many as would on the big guys. Birth By Sleep on the ps3 (or even 360 for that matter) would have been a bigger hit than on the PSP (which has been a dead system since...well, forever). Of course, you would have had to remove the mini games (which I would have been fine with because they did not contribute to the story at all).

#3: I loved the idea of Disney and Square in the beginning. For the first 2 games, it worked. But, again, I go back to my previous statement about how it is becoming too childish. Sora, Riku, Kairi and the lot of them are adults now, for the love of all that is good and holy. They need to act as such. They are fighting the forces of darkness that threaten the entire universe. With those things in mind...I don't think they would be acting like they have been.

Basically, what I'm getting at here is; Make the game more mature. Because that's the majority of the audience that is playing this and waiting for KH3. We have been for years now. Sure, there are a handful of kids that play the series, and that's all well and good. And I'm not saying make it rated M. Not by any means. I'm just saying make it more on the level of the majority. Again, we have all mostly graduated High School and are in College right now.

Do it Square! I know you can! I don't know if you guys read this, but I really hope you do. I want to see this series return to its former glory, and end on a phenomenal note like the first and second did.

I agree with you completely Seraph-Stray.

matty8756
28th Jun 2012, 08:58
please make the next final fantasy like the older ones. IX and under prefered. its changed too much. those ones were by the the best. i mean u had a world map to explore. you had towns WITH shops. and the music was just great. thats what made it so great.

Now past that we dont really have world maps. its just run over here or here. hell final fantasy XII-2 you just jump in time and tah dah you right where u need to be and oh guess what? no shops! XIII is just aas bad too.

Dint get me wrong they were good games. but there no longer feeling like final fantasy to me. as soon as u take out the prelude or the crystal theme which i havnt heard in them) its no longer final fantasy. those were the signature songs which should appear somewhere in the series.

for instance. my favorite final fantasy was IV. why u ask? well it had a great story, i loved the sound track, there wee tons to buy wepond and arour, there was caves where i can enter and find hiddel summon spells, and when u leveled up you gained the magic spell or in the ohters you bought the spell which worked just as well too). but yet they were able to keep the diffaculty level at a good rate. nothing past final fantasy IX has stuff like that. and i CANT STRESS ENOUGH the level up system SUCKS on those ones. wheres " you gained 10 exp and 20 gil" gone?

Ksquall
28th Jun 2012, 09:38
I admit that I do miss some of the things that made the classic Final Fantasy games special. I still spend lots of time playing those games because I enjoy the Final Fantasy games from the PSone and Playstation 2 era more than I do the current games.

MagiusNecros
28th Jun 2012, 10:59
Bravely Default shall grant your wish.

member_10074094
28th Jun 2012, 12:05
CANT STRESS ENOUGH the level up system SUCKS on those ones. wheres " you gained 10 exp and 20 gil" gone?

Selling loot is perfectly fine way to make gold, makes more sense for a monster's hide to be worth money than for it to have money in its pockets. I agree that FF13's levelling wasn't too good, but X wasn't bad... they just changed "exp" to "ap" and you got to see the results of your levelling by upgrading your stats yourself. FF13 did that, but since the stats where kinda the same for each grid and the characters didn't grow to meet a specific role I disliked it...

You don't once mention FF12 tho. Have you played it? Sure you have to sell items to make money, but you gather experience like the old games to level up, and you have two requirements to equip gear: unlock it on the liscense board (train to use it, basically) and purchase it. Same with armour, spells, abilities... FF12 has the things you where complaing about. Even FFX has stores to buy gear from... you might not need them for spells, but they do have some nice armours and weapons as you progress.

I love early FF games, but I include FFX and FFXII in that list. FFXIII was a decent game but pales in comparison to the older games.

member_10829610
28th Jun 2012, 17:06
for instance. my favorite final fantasy was IV. why u ask? well it had a great story, i loved the sound track, there wee tons to buy wepond and arour, there was caves where i can enter and find hiddel summon spells, and when u leveled up you gained the magic spell or in the ohters you bought the spell which worked just as well too). but yet they were able to keep the diffaculty level at a good rate. nothing past final fantasy IX has stuff like that. and i CANT STRESS ENOUGH the level up system SUCKS on those ones. wheres " you gained 10 exp and 20 gil" gone?

FFXII has almost all of this, except you gain new skills via the License system.

Jackstin
29th Jun 2012, 05:16
No.

We need something original. Its far better to take risks with a chance of producing a classic, than to play it safe and create consistent above par games.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer the old games too, but you will never get that feeling you yearn for if they just make the same game over and over again.

member_10074094
29th Jun 2012, 23:02
No.

We need something original. Its far better to take risks with a chance of producing a classic, than to play it safe and create consistent above par games.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer the old games too, but you will never get that feeling you yearn for if they just make the same game over and over again.

I actually agree. Improvising is the way to go... otherwise, eventually interest will be lost in a game, even by the most die hard of fans. Changes should, however, be kept in check... removing stores, for example, is a rather sad change to the recent games. I love the idea of combat in FF13, even if I found it too easy... the auto-battle system was all you needed for too many fights, once you had enough data about the enemy... the game's true "fun" happened when you got to manage your party roles and swap to fit the current situation... but I felt that this wasn't required often enough to keep the player engaged. In other words, a good idea that needed some work (apparently ff13-2 has fixed this?) but the lack of stores sucks and I would prefer more customizablity while leveling, more uniqueness to my characters... but they tried, and they will hopefully learn what is good to keep and what isn't.

Azure
30th Jun 2012, 01:50
No.

world will never progress if not for renovation so I still expect the new gameplay along with the traditional Elements . FF 13 and 13-2 do not have those things

draxas
30th Jun 2012, 09:14
Okay its only my point of view so...take it easy ;)

i think the best part of Final Fantsy was ever the posibility to modiefy our charakters as you want...
You want to be a caster? DO IT!
You Want to be a Fighter? DO IT!
You want to be a Summoner? DO IT!!

Since Final Fantsy 10, where it was a bit harder to play like this, i thout there was no way...
you only had pre made charakters....to bad..
Final Fantasy always have a epic story thats not the problem
But why changing a working system that everybody loves ;)

one Point im realy missing...
The limit Breaks....
great fighting styles and mass damage why where this deleted...

ps.: sorry for my bad english. be gentle ;)

If you want to creat a Final Fantasy that can break the incomming Money from the classics..
Then give us the Posibillity to play charakters the way we like and not it should be with magicans and such things...

how ever...as i seaid..thats my point of view ;)

Azure
30th Jun 2012, 09:30
Only one reason , because of the game balance ."Limit break" and "break damage" make the game more easily and lose the challenge .

draxas
30th Jun 2012, 09:51
good answer

but i have a question.
Was Ruby Weapon easy? ^^ FF7

Or Omega Weapon?^^ FF 8

Or the Judge? ff 10

ShinGundam
30th Jun 2012, 11:30
Only one reason , because of the game balance ."Limit break" and "break damage" make the game more easily and lose the challenge .

I must disagree and i care about having great moves, skills and strong desperation moves aka limit break. I don't like this point of view. Trance, limit breaks, summons, job swap and damage breaking in games in general could be viewed as "lose the challenge" but without them you will end up with either a restrictive choices or limited options in battles and i definitely dislike this kind of thinking especially in 50 hours games.

YoshiKatYoko
30th Jun 2012, 11:41
Duh, take a look at the Full ATB attacks in XIII. Some of them can't even break the top line.

Automaton
30th Jun 2012, 13:04
I wouldn't classify Full ATB skills in the exact same level as Limit Breaks or Desperation Attacks for the simple fact that they can be used at pretty much any time, repeatedly (given that the character is in the correct paradigm). They mostly have a specific inherent use: Army of One, Cold Blood and Last Resort drive up chain bonus during break, and Highwind / Soverign Fist do greater damage per chain boost level.

The Quickenings of XII are nearly as guilty of this, since they can be used as long as you have enough MP in a mist-charge to perform them, regardless of HP level.

Skills like that which can literally be spammed over and over don't have the same feel as the ones you can only perform under Limit Break / Trance / Overdrive. And a question is... why should they?

Squall-Nathan
30th Jun 2012, 13:32
I think the plot is the most important part. It should be suspenseful, humorous at times (something FFXIII was missing), and most importantly resolved.

member_10074094
30th Jun 2012, 14:57
If you give a player an OP move... they are going to spam it.

FF7: summons (limits where at the end, but during the journey it was summons)

FF8: Squall limit break... full capped damage with aura on him... spam away! Eden was strong too

FF10: break limit on weapons and summons... getting ultima weapons before sin battles made sin to easy.

FF12: Quickenings. I HATE when I see the game at a friend's house.. and their liscense board is a bee-line to all the quickenings. I wonder if they realize that intelligent variety and good equipment is just as good, and focusing liscences is powerful augments is actually better... Seriously, a lvl 20 battle with Vossler spamming quickenings is actually HARDER than having a good party... I had Vaan with bloodsword, Ashe casting regen/protect on him, and Balthier was just autoattacking even though I built him for casting, because Vossler decided to cast reflect on himself... at about half health I summoned Belias, and was surprised at how much sap from blood sword and Belias' painflair where chunking the boss... didn't even lose one star from Belias summon time.

The type of game you are suggesting is a very Western approach to gaming. Complete customizabilty with your main character, at least, is very much like Skyrim and other Elder Scrolls games and Western RPGs. Full party cusomization can be found in Dragon Age. Final Fantasy games tend to give you a choice of WHO to bring in your party, isntead of HOW to build them... even though the building is still usually there. The main character is almost always the best choice, and in older games was required in your party, which was fine because he was always the most useful anyways.

now, a FFTA class system in a main final fantasy entry... allows you to build your party more to your liking, but still limits you to classes... I like that idea.

Automaton
30th Jun 2012, 16:49
There is a divide between what the Japanese want to see in a game versus what people here in the West expect, and there's a sentiment that the JRPG is falling behind the times. I think that they're trying to attempt to mix the two mindsets together when it comes to what they've tried to develop recently (for example, more of an emphasis on "action" rather than static rows facing each other) but I would never wish that they launch a Final Fantasy game to be similar to something like Mass Effect and forget the things that made FF strong in the first place.

member_10074094
30th Jun 2012, 17:16
There is a divide between what the Japanese want to see in a game versus what people here in the West expect, and there's a sentiment that the JRPG is falling behind the times. I think that they're trying to attempt to mix the two mindsets together when it comes to what they've tried to develop recently (for example, more of an emphasis on "action" rather than static rows facing each other) but I would never wish that they launch a Final Fantasy game to be similar to something like Mass Effect and forget the things that made FF strong in the first place.

To some extent they already have. Mass Effect (the first one) is a pause and play game, much like Dragon Age and FF12, with the difference being that you have to aim your abilities/weapons instead of just what we call tab-targeting in mmos (select a target, and it goes for them... statistical numbers decide from there whether the skill hits and how much damage it does). Even kingdom hearts, despite being more action oriented, is still a tab-targeting game where you dont actually have to "aim" in order to hit... the only thing to really account for is distance from opponent in order to hit said opponent.

However, I see your point... while Mass Effect did an exceptional job of making a character under your control still belong in the world, because you directed his attitude more than what he actually said, games like Skyrim and Dragon Age tend to make you feel more seperated... I blame this on lack of voice acting... but, FF games have always told a strong story without player input (or a small amount of it), so isntead of your story, it just told a story... and it should remain that way. There is a time and place for games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age... and there is a time and place for games that aren't like them.

Azure
1st Jul 2012, 04:09

I must disagree and i care about having great moves, skills and strong desperation moves aka limit break. I don't like this point of view. Trance, limit breaks, summons, job swap and damage breaking in games in general could be viewed as "lose the challenge" but without them you will end up with either as restrictive choice or limited options in battles and i definitely dislike this kind of thinking especially in 50 hours games.

I only mention about "limit break" and "break damage " . Trance and summon is different . Trance active randomly when your Trance bar is filled and normally summon only do maximum damage is 9999 , even "Trance" . That why FFI to FFVI , FF IX ,FF XII , FF tactic, FF type-0 are more difficult than FF7 ,FF8 ,FF X .

good answer

but i have a question.
Was Ruby Weapon easy? ^^ FF7

Or Omega Weapon?^^ FF 8

Or the Judge? ff 10

" Judge" in FFX , I Don't recall any boss with that name

Through your words I can see you just play through FF7, FF8 and FFX . Ozma,Hades (FFIX ) , Yiazmat(FFXII) , Kaiser Dragon ( FFVI ), Omega (FFI-FFVI, FFXII ) is as hard as Ruby ,Omega weapon . I do not need a FF that only hard at super boss . It is evident in most of the game .

MagiusNecros
7th Jul 2012, 09:00
That's the problem. They aren't taking risks. They used to take risks and tackle new concepts back in the PS1 era, but now they focus on what will sell the most. I think when making a game they should make the most out of it. No matter how much it costs to produce. Pour your heart and effort into an idea and make it reality.

Kuja9001
7th Jul 2012, 11:15
The min that they try to do that, you're going to whine about like how people whined about FF9.

MagiusNecros
7th Jul 2012, 11:44
I don't see the problem. Since FFIX didn't really apply anything new at the time. And I thought IX was fantastic. I don't judge a game on looks alone.

member_10052615
7th Jul 2012, 12:10
world will never progress if not for renovation so I still expect the new gameplay along with the traditional Elements . FF 13 and 13-2 do not have those things

This pretty much. There are certain elements from music to visuals that we associate with Final Fantasy. FF 13-2 was devoid of nearly, if not all of it. It was an ok game, and I played it to 100% completion. And not once did it feel like a Final Fantasy game. Seriously, there isn't a single of ther game in the FF series that I've ever felt was just "ok".

I don't expect the games to be like they were before. Some of the people that helped create those older Finals aren't with the company anymore. But a return to some of those components that have been part of most Fantasies, can only be a good thing.

member_10074094
7th Jul 2012, 22:59
The min that they try to do that, you're going to whine about like how people whined about FF9.

People whined about FF9? How dare they!

But I want to say, the game is FF and needs to pay homage to its roots, while having something new to seperate it from the past. This action combat system looks good; the homage I demand is a)chocobos b)intro, ending, and victory songs and c) names of spells and weapons that fit the series (RA, AGA, AJA, GUN for spells, and the same weapons we usually see...)

ShinGundam
8th Jul 2012, 20:09
I agree that i want an airship, good items(Not randomized), a great world, a great hidden locations and summons too but I don't think homage and references should be encourged in FF at all. and they should keep it at very low level. It is like people asking for a tiny part of their nostalgia than an actual "setup" or "terminology" for a classic adventure.

And yes, I don't want FF 2012 to be FF 1991.

Asuha
8th Jul 2012, 23:01
Technically there's already a game like this - Final Fantasy Type-0.

Bhalditar
8th Jul 2012, 23:03
The 4 Heroes of Light is just sitting out there waiting for you to buy it. :)

Summoner
9th Jul 2012, 09:56
I can only say stuff about FF VI, VII, VIII, IX; all those games were great and felt classic, of course I also think FF X and XII were great for newer games, XIII dissapointed me cause it just felt like the game was holding your hand the entire time for the battles sequences and not much of exploration and extra stuff until the end of the game, but that doesn't mean I didn't like the music/storyline.

Azure
9th Jul 2012, 10:18
Type-0 have those thing but the game still have many Flaws .

1. You cannot come back to the place in Mission if you don't choose mission mode .This is a huge disappointment . They should fix it in localization .
2. Arena is a bit boring because you can only fight Byako Sodier . The should let us fight more Type of monster , more mode or battle with I'cie and Summon
3. less Mini game . This game have Ace why don't they put Card game in , add more side quest , Mini game .
4. Final boss and Serect boss is another disappointment , should have more optional Dun , super boss . Final Dun is excellent but you can't die
5. Town is similar and some place such as airport dont let you access .
6 . Put all of those unused model summon in . Limit "new game + " to 3 times . I don't want to replay all of the game many times after I kill Final boss because i was force to kill him when Free-times run Out
7. They Should make the game pasue when we access menu . It will be Easy to use Item or Choose Item to replace .

If they fix all of those flaws in the localization , the game would be perfect

Aboyraditya
9th Jul 2012, 12:01
I really love the story.. Much better if they make a movie of this.. Btw, miss my psx ff games.. Especially ff Ix

ShinGundam
9th Jul 2012, 15:49
Type-0 have those thing but the game still have many Flaws .

I don't think these are real flaws though, this is the nature of war oriented game or they can't add more content than what the game has already which is i believe a lot.

member_10822883
9th Jul 2012, 16:03
The 4 Heroes of Light is just sitting out there waiting for you to buy it. :)

And oh man, was it worth the investment. Good point, though.

Ice
9th Jul 2012, 18:22
I would definitely be happy if the mainline series went back to a fully controlled command based style (as in no A.I. allies) battle system with a world map and all that stuff, but I don't think that's the direction Kitase and/or whoever else is directing/producing want to take it in. Hopefully the 4 Heroes/Bravely Default games lead to an actual series, becasue that's probably the best we'll get.

ShinGundam
9th Jul 2012, 18:50
I would definitely be happy if the mainline series went back to a fully controlled command based style (as in no A.I. allies) battle system with a world map and all that stuff, but I don't think that's the direction Kitase and/or whoever else is directing/producing want to take it in. Hopefully the 4 Heroes/Bravely Default games lead to an actual series, becasue that's probably the best we'll get.

I don't think it has to do with Kitase or other producers, Ai partner is here because it allow combat to go faster since you're not constantly needing to switch to every character to input commands, making battles run more smoothly and XII/XIII are both based on real-time battles with enemies have move sets.

In case of ditching the traditional "overworld" map, this because map used to be like "in-between" sections but now these are actual area rather.

Ice
9th Jul 2012, 19:06
Yeah, that's what I mean. The direction Square wants to take the series in is more fast-based battle systems, or at least that's what I've been able to gather from interviews and stuff. It's not a bad approach, but some things get lost in the mix. In an ideal world, the perfect balance would be found. Final Fantasy X-2 might be the closest thing to fast-based command-based combat without having A.I. controlled characters. I definitely would be open to them using that battle system again.

Azure
9th Jul 2012, 20:28
FFXII Active Dimension battle is not a Fast base command systems . It is just a Normal ATB without random Encounter . The A.I control in this game just only help you to easily to play. Without it ,the game is still running Normally like the previous FF . So ADB is the best choice for future FF

About FFX-2 battle ,you can expect it in Toriyama's next game.

I can only say stuff about FF VI, VII, VIII, IX; all those games were great and felt classic, of course I also think FF X and XII were great for newer games, XIII dissapointed me cause it just felt like the game was holding your hand the entire time for the battles sequences and not much of exploration and extra stuff until the end of the game, but that doesn't mean I didn't like the music/storyline.

I don't think FFXII is great for the newer gamer , it is one of the most difficult FF

Summoner
9th Jul 2012, 20:38
I suppose, unless you keep it simple and they only do the main quest and ignore the side quests/monster hunting.

member_10074094
16th Jul 2012, 07:27
It is just a Normal ATB without random Encounter . The A.I control in this game just only help you to easily to play. Without it ,the game is still running Normally like the previous FF .

I disagree. The other FF games do not pause everything when you actually enter commands. FF12 flows freely using the ai, but once you want to take direct control, it becomes a pause-and-play with mechanics similar to, and simpler than, Dragon Age.

I don't think FFXII is great for the newer gamer , it is one of the most difficult FF

this I can agree with, if it is your first FF game, you wind up spamming through the liscense board to get quickenings asap, which is such a horrible strategy...

I suppose, unless you keep it simple and they only do the main quest and ignore the side quests/monster hunting.

Even the main quest had its challenges. I was a high school kid when FF12 came out, and started playing games in the series slightly after. I played ff7, 8, 10, 1, and 2 long before I ever played 12. Yet, even with previous experience with the series, 12 gave me the most trouble. I was, as I said, just a kid, and in general more strategic game mechanics were still beyond me because I had never experienced them... but the other FF games had still been relatively easy, just find the ways to punch out the most damage while healing anything that happened to you. FF12 is a lot more complicated, and that strategy did not work anymore.

member_10013186
20th Jul 2012, 03:53
Really all of the FF that I have played (which is just about all of them) rocked to me, had no quarrel with any of them, except Tactics. Tactics just did'nt hit me like the others did, not saying they were bad, just did'nt hit me. So I really have yet to play a bad Final Fantasy.

member_10076147
28th Jul 2012, 02:48
Well, I have a question. It's basically the topic. I keep hearing, "THIS ISN'T FINAL FANTASY!" What makes a game Final Fantasy?

From what I believe, there is no true definitive of FF. No main numbered FF is truly connected with each other (save maybe VII/X).

So tell me, what am I not seeing? Sure, it had the crystals, the chocobos, and the moogles, but the games also differ in symbols as well. Not every game had chocobos or moogles, for instance.

FF has always been based around different themes.

FFI - Medieval

FFII - Medieval

FFIII - Medieval

FFIV - Medieval Based/Steampunk

FFV - Country/Like (It is not really Medieval Based, but it's close enough)

FFVI - Steampunk/Modern Based

FFVII - Steampunk/Modern

FFVIII - Modern

FFIX - Steampunk/Medieval Based

FFX - Somewhat Modern

FFXI - Medi...at the extreme)

FFXII - Medieval

FFXIII - Modern

FFXIV - Medieval

Also, not only that, but what made VII absolutely "perfect," according to some? I do not believe it is perfect by a long shot, and I loved the game. However, I feel that there were games later on that surpassed the quality of VII.

How do you compare all of them? What made the storytelling "suffer" in the later FFs (I don't believe that, once again)?

Not to mention, can you factor age into this? Even I have to admit I love the crap out of VII STILL due to the nostalgia. 40% is nostalgic, the rest just pure fun.

Azure
28th Jul 2012, 04:23
Final Fantasy is everything . We do not have a clear definition about Final Fantasy but one thing which I'm sure . Final Fantasy is title of the game that have a good to great story and game play .

member_10628951
28th Jul 2012, 13:02
Most of the time ;)

Grimoire
28th Jul 2012, 13:24
Anything can be a fantasy, it's the final part that all the Final Fantasy titles have to live up to. Question is: do they?

Also, I agree that Final Fantasy VII cannot be called the perfect game, and that it was a tactical error by Wada to say that no subsequent Square Enix games have surpassed it.

member_10358217
28th Jul 2012, 13:30
Everyone has their own preference and favorite FF game. Therefore, someone who loves FFX may not like FFXII and say that it is not a true FF. Final Fantasy was the name of Squaresoft's Final game before going bankrupt, ergo, it was Squaresoft's "Final Fantasy". FF was launched and it was such an incredible success that it enabled the company to create an entire franchise and allowed them to completely re-sustain themselves.

member_10076147
28th Jul 2012, 15:51
It is funny because of the name it has given. Think about any FF. If they were called something different, it probably wouldn't even sell as well. HOWEVER, there's a backlash effect too. Because of name branding, a lot more people buy the game, and in reality that just means there's a higher risk that it will "fail".

Whether or not it truly fails is up to the viewer, but that's just it. If sales make profit, then it does not necessarily fail. We have no specific statistic and factor that determines if it will be successful or not. Then again, what is success? I thought success was when you make profit in the business world. FFXIII-2 made a lot of profit, I'll admit that. I'll also admit I love the crap out of the game.

I just do not want a VII remake, to be honest. For like, a decade we have heard this. I still love the series, and to me, SE hasn't gone downhill. So they flopped on XIV, but they're fixing that. Business it's about learning mistakes. They've had this issue before, without the Enix, and they managed to succeed. Why not again?

I love all the FF ones. Sure, there are games that I prefer over the others, but it doesn't mean I hate them all. In fact, FFXIII-2 is right up on my top ones. I just hope they continue on the streak without listening to many of complainers on the Interwebz. I wonder if they just complain for the sake of complaining.

What do you think should be in the next FF?

I have asked complainers before, and they simply told me, "I don't know".

How about you guys?

Also, the battle system, as one claimed, does not make an FF and FF. People get angry over the experimentations, but all battle systems differ in some ways, though they are essentially the same.

new_tradition
28th Jul 2012, 17:01
The only way I understand a game is Final Fantasy is that it's in the title, that's it. If you play enough of them, you catch onto common patterns like reoccuring monsters, abilities, items, and etc, but nothing in the core of the game, per se. I've never believed there's a definitive version of Final Fantasy. Each game has always been different (it's infact what makes FF so great, IMO).

Heck, just campare 1 and 2. Forget that they have different characters and stories, but things were changed in terms of gameplay, even if they were small changes. There is no real precadent for a game to follow because they inheritantly different from eachother.

It's like how some people who've played every or most of the FF games, but tells the person whose only played a few games they're not a true FF fan. You like one game? You're a fan. Simple.

Final Fantasy is in the title? It's a FF game. Simple.

MagiusNecros
28th Jul 2012, 18:37
Final Fantasy refers to when Square was bankrupt and they decided to make one last game and pour everything into it. It was their Final Fantasy to survive. However the game was a success on the NES/Famicom.

Hence the title.

Oh and GILGAMESH. For those who say FF games aren't in any way connected.

member_10074094
28th Jul 2012, 19:59
There are some small gameplay elements that carry over in main FF (numbered) titles, although not all have an origin in FF1, they develop as the series progresses and are seen as staples

Chocobos (ff2)

progressive spells (originally fire 1, fire 2, fire 3, thunder 1, thunder 2, thunder 3, now using the suffix -ra and -aga after FF8)

the inclusion of specific summon monsters, as summons (introduced in ff3) or at least refered to (the airship names in ff12)

combat systems that feature characters lining up as they clearly would not do in a real situation, but since these games aren't action games it works for them. Many call the games tactical, something I lose losely... they have some tactics and thinking involved, but I have never found any of the titled games challenging enough to take seriously (at least, not on the level of some other rpg's I have played), but they can still be called tactical.

Many players debate about what makes a FF game, and many of them are poisoned/manipulated based on what their favorite title in the series is, or which other titles they like. Many who hate FF13, for example, would argue that the game was ruined by linearity... and some of these same people would say that FF10 was amazing, despite its linearity (I enjoyed both games but argue that linearity was a flaw they both had). For many people what constitutes as an FF game is an opinion, but they see it as fact (lets face it, we can all be very passionate about our favorite video games). Some people will always find the changes in a series to be a step in the wrong direction, others on the other hand will love it. There will also be a group of people who have their first experience in the series be the newest title (FF13 had a lot of newcomers to the series, for example) and will judge the whole series based on this, just like the nostalgics. There are also people who blindly beleive that each Square-Enix game is flawless, and lastly there are the critical gamers who enjoy the series, and see the good things and the bad about each title, and can also recognize when the good and bad is their opinion or not.

Personally, if any FF game is lacking in the simple things that tie it together... the opening/closing themes, victory song, spell names, chocobos, it makes me feel like its not a true FF. I also feel that, because of the FF focus on single player story, the MMORPG's in the series are not true FF's... they might be part of the series, but I forever view them as spinoffs (would have prefered them to be called FF online and FFO2). Not all games have the tie-ins that I listed, but they have enough of them to count... I would really only be annoyed if a game in the series completely abandoned the roots of its namesake.

member_10078668
29th Jul 2012, 01:10
Well, I have a question. It's basically the topic. I keep hearing, "THIS ISN'T FINAL FANTASY!" What makes a game Final Fantasy?

Elements of the franchise that are unique to Final Fantasy games are:

+ Chocobos (not ride-able birds in general but the term and characteristics of the Chocobos make them unique to Final Fantasy)

+ Marlboro, Cactuar, Moogle, Bombs, Tonberry

+ A character name Cid

+ White mages and black mages

As the Final Fantasy number titles are primarily RPGs (except for XI and XIV which are MMORPGs), the games are also known for having job classes (either interchangably or each character is already assigned a particular class e.g. Zidane is a thief class); storyline freedom (you can change characters' names and adjust how the story develops through your actions); and lots of grinding.

Also, not only that, but what made VII absolutely "perfect," according to some? I do not believe it is perfect by a long shot, and I loved the game. However, I feel that there were games later on that surpassed the quality of VII.

I have yet to see a Final Fantasy title surpass FFVII in that:

+ there's a good number of choice combinations you can make in the game that affect how later events play out

+ there's a lot of fun mini-games and sidequests you can get lost in

+ you can travel to every corner of the world via special Chocobos

+ there's a bunch of endgame bosses you can try to take down

It's easy for later games to surpass the visual quality of FFVII but not many have been able to surpass the quality of its content.

member_10074094
29th Jul 2012, 16:40

I have yet to see a Final Fantasy title surpass FFVII in that:

+ there's a good number of choice combinations you can make in the game that affect how later events play out

+ there's a lot of fun mini-games and sidequests you can get lost in

+ you can travel to every corner of the world via special Chocobos

+ there's a bunch of endgame bosses you can try to take down

It's easy for later games to surpass the visual quality of FFVII but not many have been able to surpass the quality of its content.

this is really a matter of opinion.

1) FF6 had similar choice features (you could actually save your party members... FF7, your choices only determine a date)

2) I prefer the sidequests of 12 over all the games, ff7 had some fun sidequests but theres no way you can say FF7 wins in this category is a fact. I also prefer FF8's card game over any mini game in FF7, and while FF7 may have the most mini games in the FF series (I haven't counted them all so I can't confirm that), I'm not the biggest fan of mini games to begin with, and I prefer to not have so many thrown at me.

3) I'd rather use an airship than a chocobo. In any event, FF1-9 where fully explorable worlds, so I don't see how the method of transportation makes it any better.

4)Again, FF12 wins here... only 5/12 espers obtained during the actual story, and more bosses besides just espers. In quantity, FF12 wins... in quality, that is a matter of opinion.

FF6-10 are my favorites in the series for their story, with FF12 being my favorite for gameplay/world. However, FF9 is my all time favorite Final Fantasy game, so as much as anyone says that no game has surpassed FF7... thats an opinion. FF9 is better in my opinion.

member_10637174
29th Jul 2012, 20:45
As long as it has the title Final Fantasy it makes it a final fantasy game.

member_10074094
29th Jul 2012, 21:47

I am going to make a game with a big ring in space and a bunch of little zombies and you play as a spartan and its a fps, and call it final fantasy. Is it still Final Fantasy?

member_10078668
29th Jul 2012, 23:45
this is really a matter of opinion.

1) FF6 had similar choice features (you could actually save your party members... FF7, your choices only determine a date)

2) I prefer the sidequests of 12 over all the games, ff7 had some fun sidequests but theres no way you can say FF7 wins in this category is a fact. I also prefer FF8's card game over any mini game in FF7, and while FF7 may have the most mini games in the FF series (I haven't counted them all so I can't confirm that), I'm not the biggest fan of mini games to begin with, and I prefer to not have so many thrown at me.

3) I'd rather use an airship than a chocobo. In any event, FF1-9 where fully explorable worlds, so I don't see how the method of transportation makes it any better.

4)Again, FF12 wins here... only 5/12 espers obtained during the actual story, and more bosses besides just espers. In quantity, FF12 wins... in quality, that is a matter of opinion.

FF6-10 are my favorites in the series for their story, with FF12 being my favorite for gameplay/world. However, FF9 is my all time favorite Final Fantasy game, so as much as anyone says that no game has surpassed FF7... thats an opinion. FF9 is better in my opinion.

Of course my perspective of FF7 is a matter of opinion. I don't think anyone can provide unbaised comparisons amongst the games.

But...

On the contrary, your conversation with Tifa in the last part of the game changes according to the decisions you make. You could also choose to save North Corel or not. And events in Gongaga can differ depending on who you have in your immediate party. But you are correct that FF6 allows you to rescue characters whereas FF7 just gives you 2 optional characters to add to your party. So both games have that feature of choice combinations that affect the story.

FF7 does indeed have more minigames than most Final Fantasy titles. Although I think FF8 does have it beat in terms of sidequests.

In FF7, there are areas that are inaccessible via airships, hence the sidequests to breed different kinds of Chocobos to access those areas. Perhaps I should've said that reaching certain areas of the game takes more effort than just pick-and-choose from an airship menu and adds to the exploration aspect RPG fans like.

The endgame bosses I was referring to were optional bosses; additional challenges for players to take on. In FF7, there were 2 such bosses: Ruby and Emerald. I guess I shouldn't have said "a bunch" as I was thinking of all the WEAPONs as a whole without taking into account you only have to fight 1 as part of the story. My bad.

The main problem I found with XIII is that Square relied on the Final Fantasy name to sell it and got backlash from Final Fantasy fans because of it. It would've been better if they had given it a different name and start up a new franchise with a new fanbase rather than depend on an existing one to make any profit. Were they not confident enough in the Square name to sell a new game?

new_tradition
29th Jul 2012, 23:51

I am going to make a game with a big ring in space and a bunch of little zombies and you play as a spartan and its a fps, and call it final fantasy. Is it still Final Fantasy?

If S-E decides to do that, then IMO, yes.

Doesn't mean I would like it and buy it :P

member_10320182
25th Aug 2012, 16:10
Who agrees that Square Enix should just drop the "Final Fantasy" name? I'm not saying it's a bad name, I just think it's about time to drop it. I know a lot of people who don't play this amazing series simply because they think the name is stupid and that there are too many in the series. If they dropped the name than hopefully more people would play these games.

What I think Square should do is officially title the people who make these games the "Final Fantasy Team" and then put it somewhere on the box art of a game that they're the ones who made it so that the people who like the name would still technically get a Final Fantasy game.

________________________________________In response to some of the comments...

I don't agree with the people that say the name is stupid, I really like it. I also would be sad if the name was dropped, but no one would stop playing the games if it was dropped and others would hopefully pick it up.

In all honesty I'm having mixed feelings about it because I really want them to keep the name. If anything, I think they should at least add a subtitle to a game instead of going into the whole X-2 or XIII-2/3. If they would at least say something like "Final Fantasy XIII-The End of Time" instead of XIII-2, that would be awesome.

and yes, I'm aware that the end of time is a stupid name, I was just using it as an example.

CPancer
25th Aug 2012, 16:29
If someone doesn't wish to play this game simply because of the game title then that's their decision, I don't see how a title would impact the buyers decision as it's technically everything else that the game offers that makes a big difference.

This topic is quite silly, because you actually agree with it.

member_10822883
25th Aug 2012, 16:45
I don't see the benefit, honestly. It's a household name brand and if there are people who haven't tried the series because of that, they're the minority. There are just as many and then some who buy the games solely because of the name, regardless of its content.

member_10077577
25th Aug 2012, 16:54
Are you talking about making a spiritual successor to the Final Fantasy series? A name change shouldn't be necessary. I mean, the title may throw off some people, but I believe it's fine the way it is.

member_10323743
25th Aug 2012, 17:02
... That'd be like changing the name of pokemon... or Mario... Imagine how many sales Call of Duty would lose if they dropped the name.

It's worked for them for so long, they have no reason to change it. Not to mention how ticked people would be if they just decided to change the name of a series that's been going strong for 25 years.

member_10078541
25th Aug 2012, 19:02
As a Final Fantasy fan since FF1 for Nintendo, I would be shocked and appauled if they threw away the iconic name.

Jaymz6
25th Aug 2012, 20:17
Changing the name of Final Fantasy would be like changing 'Street Fighter' to 'Blacktop Brawlers', or 'Breath of Fire' to 'The Adventures of Dragon Boy and Fairy Girl".

DerekMaverick
25th Aug 2012, 21:00
All though I do not agree with a name change, I do understand why you brought it up. In the past week I have heard 3 people say that FF's name is stupid because it's not the last game. And no matter how many times I tell the story nobody cares to listen, so as irritating as it is, it needs to stay the same.

member_10775982
25th Aug 2012, 22:47
they should not change the final fantasy name because it wouldn't be right to change it, it should stay the same. the final fantasy name have been there for many years. who cares if there are some people that don't buy the game because of it's name, it their lost, they're missing out on a amazing game.

new_tradition
25th Aug 2012, 23:24
I actually enjoy the irony of the series being called "Final Fantasy". It was funny-when I was younger, I was trying to figure out what would be the last game in the series, haha.

Timmei
25th Aug 2012, 23:40
No, no, and no. Final Fantasy is what personally got me into video games. I buy games with the name Final Fantasy on them without a second though pretty much, and very few have been bad buys.

They are my childhood, and have been what keeps me sane in so many situations. Diving into the stories and gameplay of this series always relaxes me, taking away my fears and worries while I play.

Someday the series may come to a stop, but I hope it is for a good reason if it does. But changing the name for a 25 year old series because the name doesn't appeal to everyone seems wrong. It's not like any big series out right now would do that either, like Zelda, any Mario game, Call of Duty, and many others.

People need to remember: Don't fix what isn't broken! If it works, and doesn't need to be changed, then leave it ALONE.

Monkpunk1977
28th Aug 2012, 01:15
I remember in the original Final Fantasy games, the world was a magical midevil "Fantasy World" not a futuristic Science Fiction world. Yes yes I know that Sci Fi is also a form of fantasy, but, I doubt you would call the origional games Sci Fi at all, while all the games from VII onward have taken place in a futuristic world as opposed to a magical midevil setting. I love the new games, but the Science Fiction aspect gets very complicated and boaring.

Should the game now be called Final Science Fiction? I don't think so. Who is with me? How about for the next anniversary, Square Enix makes a new Final Fantasy game that is a fantasy and not science fiction!?

Does anyone else want a Fantasy version of Final Fantasy?

Syn
28th Aug 2012, 03:14
XIV: realm reborn seems like a huge medevil fantasy based game to me so, so it seems SE still has love for the setting and they are simply adding their own take on it rather than let it get stale with tried and tested ideas of old, and as long as magic, summons and legendary weapons exist, I honestly dont mind the setting. Buts thats just my opinion.

Side note. All the numbered Final Fantasy Games are "original Final Fantasy games", each and every single one. That, is a fact.

member_10770952
28th Aug 2012, 03:45
I remember in the original Final Fantasy games, the world was a magical midevil "Fantasy World" not a futuristic Science Fiction world. Yes yes I know that Sci Fi is also a form of fantasy, but, I doubt you would call the origional games Sci Fi at all, while all the games from VII onward have taken place in a futuristic world as opposed to a magical midevil setting. I love the new games, but the Science Fiction aspect gets very complicated and boaring.

Should the game now be called Final Science Fiction? I don't think so. Who is with me? How about for the next anniversary, Square Enix makes a new Final Fantasy game that is a fantasy and not science fiction!?

that 's good but FF X & XII did not use this concept

ThaProphet-339613
28th Aug 2012, 04:34
any Final Fantasy that has had an air ship in it... is technically in the realm of Sci-fi right? that outs what 2 4 5 6... (i havn't played through 3 yet) and YES both 10 and 12.

Syn
28th Aug 2012, 05:17
any Final Fantasy that has had an air ship in it... is technically in the realm of Sci-fi right? that outs what 2 4 5 6... (i havn't played through 3 yet) and YES both 10 and 12.

dont forget VII, VIII, IX,, the only final fantasy that might qualify in the "none Final Science Fiction Fantasy" category is the original final fantasy, that had little story and a nameless hero, and no air ships, though it had time travel and time paradoxes so am not sure if it qualifies as well. I honestly think theres always been some form of tech or scientific concept in the FF games, but the main deviation started in FF VI (hailed as one of, if not the best FF game to many), and not VII, FF VI had tones of science development in it, here is a caption from the Wiki article on it :

In contrast to the medieval settings featured in previous Final Fantasy titles, Final Fantasy VI is set in a steampunk environment. The structure of society parallels that of the latter half of the 19th century, with opera and the fine arts serving as recurring motifs throughout the game, and a level of technology comparable to that of the Second Industrial Revolution. Railroads are in place and a coal mining operation is run in the northern town of Narshe. Additionally, several examples of modern engineering and weaponry (such as a chainsaw, drill, and automatic crossbow) have been developed in the Kingdom of Figaro.

Link:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VI)

Also, the inclusion of Magitek Armour.

In the end its just a matter of preference for you the gamer.

werefire100
28th Aug 2012, 06:50

seems like nobodies agreeing with you bro sorry. i do agree with one aspect of what your saying and thats that square needs to get back to the basics. the best final fantasies were the ps1 and sooner.

member_10027098
28th Aug 2012, 09:06

dont forget VII, VIII, IX,, the only final fantasy that might qualify in the "none Final Science Fiction Fantasy" category is the original final fantasy, that had little story and a nameless hero, and no air ships, though it had time travel and time paradoxes so am not sure if it qualifies as well.

Actually, the original Final Fantasy did have an airship. There are literally airships in every single numbered Final Fantasy. However, you cannot directly control these airships in every installment after IX.

As far as time travel, this only occured at the Chaos Temple and was part of the story. You were unable to freely travel through time.

Syn
28th Aug 2012, 10:00
Thanks, never went too far in the first one, also, there was an advanced airship before IX, and that is the Ragnarok from VIII.

new_tradition
28th Aug 2012, 16:33
Not that I don't like the more Medieval-esque FF games, but it's easier for me to relate to the modern/sci-fi types. However, I've always enjoyed the different FF worlds I've played through, so anything is fine with me, lol.

That reminds me: there's a scene is Dissidia 012 between Laguna and Squall where Laguna is surprised at the other character because they look like characters from stories. Think the scene is on youtube...

EDIT: Yep, here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9USGU6jNwMs). I don't think it's too spoiler-ish for Dissidia if you haven't played it. In fact, most of the scene is just Laguna trying to get Squall to be more social, and I personally love the scene because I love the idea of S-E possibly giving a nod to the fact Laguna is Squall's father xD

Syn
29th Aug 2012, 01:36
Not that I don't like the more Medieval-esque FF games, but it's easier for me to relate to the modern/sci-fi types. However, I've always enjoyed the different FF worlds I've played through, so anything is fine with me, lol.

That reminds me: there's a scene is Dissidia 012 between Laguna and Squall where Laguna is surprised at the other character because they look like characters from stories. Think the scene is on youtube...

EDIT: Yep, here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9USGU6jNwMs). I don't think it's too spoiler-ish for Dissidia if you haven't played it. In fact, most of the scene is just Laguna trying to get Squall to be more social, and I personally love the scene because I love the idea of S-E possibly giving a nod to the fact Laguna is Squall's father xD

Saw what you did there ^_^ vewy sneaky,lol.

Ardrik
8th Oct 2012, 13:11
I don't believe it is totally killed mind you, what with VSXIII and Type-0. But has there been a really good one released since 2001? A single final fantasy that the fans can agree is actually worth being called that? And from that perspective... even FFX doesnt quite match up. I'm just curious about your thoughts/opinions on the subject. Also, what is SE thinking releasing the 25th anniv collection, with ps1/2 discs, I really hope some of you who might have lost your old discs still have your old consoles if you intend to buy it to play, as for myself and *MOST* gamers I know, I no longer maintain the old consoles that I've had. Awesome set, horrible execution.

Grimoire
8th Oct 2012, 13:41
In my opinion, the FINAL FANTASY series has only become better and better (in every aspect) with FINAL FANTASY XIII at the top. However, that is simply my own opinion and I do not force it upon anyone else.

new_tradition
8th Oct 2012, 14:05
No, I don't agree. It's still highly popular and for all the vocal bashers, the games still do well enough to get noticed. They get advertised, reviewed, and ultimately, bought. Often, you got people that actually enjoy them. Who'd a thunk? :P

My opinion: I still love Final Fantasy.

Not at OP, but I hate people who make sweeping statements about how "everyone" hates a game or the series or similar. Ummmm, lol. No. Don't act like my mouth piece, please and thanks ♥

FatSqueek
8th Oct 2012, 14:09
I don't believe it's dead at all. In fact, it wouldn't have crossed my mind if I hadn't heard the complaining by others.

vitornavarrete
8th Oct 2012, 14:23
I don't believe it is totally killed mind you, what with VSXIII and Type-0. But has there been a really good one released since 2001? A single final fantasy that the fans can agree is actually worth being called that? And from that perspective... even FFX doesnt quite match up. I'm just curious about your thoughts/opinions on the subject. Also, what is SE thinking releasing the 25th anniv collection, with ps1/2 discs, I really hope some of you who might have lost your old discs still have your old consoles if you intend to buy it to play, as for myself and *MOST* gamers I know, I no longer maintain the old consoles that I've had. Awesome set, horrible execution.

1: I've been following FF releases since VII and not even one of them matches what you say. There's aways people complaining. If you wish, I can say some issues in every single FF released so far. So this point doesn't have a point at all.

2: It has ps1/ps2 beacause the first print of PS3 can play them. You just have to find you a japanese used one. But for FF III you'll need a psp.

member_10628951
8th Oct 2012, 14:41
I don't think so at all. I think there has been some missteps but the franchise certainly isn't dead. I think it's foolish to assume something like that.

member_10199512
8th Oct 2012, 15:10
I dont think its dead the only way i will see it die in my opinion is either they stop making great/good stories, or they stop making single player games, or even if they completely ditch the rpg genre. i personally like all the final fantasy games ive played (7,8,9,x,x-2,12,13,13-2) im going to start 6 soon and plan on plaything the older ones but so far i havent play a bad game i mean each games has its pluses and negatives but i have no big problems with any game so far. the only thing im hoping is with the new Lightning Returns game they at least keep an interesting story!! i was honestly hoping for a 15 tho or vs13 before that but Idc ill play the games until i notice one is horrible

hyne--
8th Oct 2012, 15:26
The franchise is not dead, and these trolling messages such as thread title hinder the necessary, currently nearly nonexistent positivity in the JRPG genre.

Franchise as such is as fine as it always was. There were always people disliking the current game, the thing was that the games came out much more often back then, so the focus was switched, softening the overall impression. Final Fantasy XIII is the current game for a long game now, so its flaws are often times overemphasized.

There is a problem though, and it is in the management. The management is a complete mess. Management of each of Square Enix Japan, North America and Europe made some disastrous decisions.

In the end, you thread creator negated your own argument right off. You obviously regard the PlayStation era as the last remnant of worthwhile Final Fantasy entries. There's already Final Fantasy Type-0 which has so much of that era in itself, concluding that there has been a good Final Fantasy released since 2001 (by your standards).

Granted, it hasn't been released internationally, but that's just another of the management's mistakes.

alanman178
8th Oct 2012, 20:17
I don't think the franchise is dead. I'm certainly not going to dump Square-Enix just because I didn't like a few of their games. I want them to keep going. I may like the next FF game, but someone else may not. That's "Final Fantasy" lol. Square made my favorite game of all time. The only way I'd leave is if they stopped making rpgs.

Asuha
9th Oct 2012, 01:19
Like any long-running series, it has its ups and downs. The games, especially after VII when they took drastic changes between each entry - have divided the fanbase more than ever. But as long as they make new ideas, there's sure to be some that stick and others that don't.

Yelvon
9th Oct 2012, 02:00

You lost your argument at your second sentence. FFXII was released in 2006 and its the greatest FF in my opinion. Its the only FF where the story is catered for adults with no corny writings. So many sidequests make the game the most valuabe FF. Oh and its the highest rated FF game in many large publications that have been around since it all began.

And there has only been 1 entry in the series since then, FFXIII. So no, you cant say a series is dead just becasue the last one got negative/mixed reviews.

Randis
9th Oct 2012, 03:10
I don't believe it is totally killed mind you, what with VSXIII and Type-0. But has there been a really good one released since 2001? A single final fantasy that the fans can agree is actually worth being called that? And from that perspective... even FFX doesnt quite match up.

How about doing some basic research on sale numbers before posting such claims. A dead franchise is one that does not sell.

If the new titles are not to your linking then it is a matter of your personal taste and not the quality of the products.

I no longer maintain the old consoles that I've had. Awesome set, horrible execution.

This is meant for collectors and those games are not even the old versions, MSX, famicom, super famicom titles would be old, but this?
PS3 plays PS1 games, not sure what your problem is?

TravisB
9th Oct 2012, 17:04
they need to stop catering to the masses and bring back the ideals that made this a series for the ages.

how do they do that you ask?simple.bring back sakaguchi.

TravisB
9th Oct 2012, 17:48
final fantasy isnt dead and i dont believe it will ever die.

change is absolutely necessary for this series to survive.

i dont like all of the changes but i agree with them.

im not sure that sakaguchi honestly thought that this game would morph into the beast that it became.

member_10706344
10th Oct 2012, 13:26

Yeah the last main game and its sequels sells nearly 10 million units so the frachise is obviously dead. People are sure blind these days. The series keeps getting better and better like grimoire said

dungeondweller-418697
10th Oct 2012, 14:45
To me what seperates the Final Fantasy series from other fantasy - sci-fi games is the combination and uniqueness that Square brings with Final Fantasy. I love that you get a little of everything while maintaining a distinct identity that this is Final Fantasy not WOW, Middle Earth, etc.

TravisB
10th Oct 2012, 15:20

i do.i loved the older fantasy games and i long for their return.

i fear that the closest we will come is the remakes.

product development division 1 does not seem to care for the past....

Randis
10th Oct 2012, 16:44
I would love nothing more than a setting just like in FF VI of FF Tactics (not FFT A)

member_10311806
10th Oct 2012, 17:33
Well FF-XIII's theme resembles a sort of neo-final fantasy-esque environment where norse mythology and advanced technology appears....so its still a final fantasy. Final Fantasy XIII Type-0 is about protecting the crystals and although they use actual firearms and such in the game it still retains its pure feel. And however astray FFVII went from the medieval feeling it was still among the best FF games SE has ever made so.......NO......as long as they make a good rpg.

TravisB
10th Oct 2012, 17:57
@ Andre well 6 had steampunk settings and sort of set the stage for things to come

ala ff7.

ff4 had the lunar moon with the space setting.

i think we would have saw more of the sci-fi settings had the developers had the technology.

blame star wars haha.the japanese love star wars.

Arietta
11th Oct 2012, 04:29
airships fall into fantasy setting quite well most fantasy type stuff usually have a mystical flying ship

FF4 the Lunar whale was a ship made from people who lived on the moon

FF2 had a fantasy style advanced evil empire wile every1 else had almost no technology

FF5 was pure fantasy with ex death originally being a tree and the 2 worlds actually being 1 and being seperated to seal the void away

FF6 went abit ahead and tried a steam punk setting but still kept it fantasy with the espers being the source of all magic

FF9 may of had airships but those airships could only fly were mist existed and the mist was created monsters and the fact that 80% of the characters weren't human also screams fantasy

FF10 was a set in a world were 1000 years ago technology was extremely advanced but most was lost and forbidden now were the fantasy comes in is dead souls turn into monsters and dead souls are used to craft an armor known as sin along with the final Aeon

FF12 reminded me of a updated FF2

FF13 ugh just turned sci fi and tried mixing it with fantasy which turned into the worst FF game ever fyi yes i beat the game

FF7 was interesting cause it did have technology but only in shinra oriented places but the life stream being condensed into a rock known as materia to harness the power of magic was fantasy

would i love to see FF return to med evil fantasy yes i would i dont want the crap known as FF13

Arietta
11th Oct 2012, 10:11
actually if u look at ff13 ff13 2s sales they dropped over 2 million with FF13 2 this doesn't surprise and ill explain why they dropped so much

#1 FF13 dissapointed and ticked alot of fans off #2 they added DLC BS to FF13 2 which turned away alot of fans #3 they added a sequel to what fans saw as a horrible FF game #4 fans are most looking forwards to versus 13 which they started developing at the same time as 13 #5 the cast of FF13 was the worst cast in any FF game ever #6 they went to sci fi with FF13 #7 the villan was boring in FF13 #8 they kept the auto battle feature

FF series isn't dead just FF13 FF13 2 are the worst in the series ive played

2 million sales drop should tell you something is wrong with the game note for people most RPGS dont sell over a million copies

member_10628951
11th Oct 2012, 10:25
^^^ All of those points, while true for quite a few fans, can be argued. There's already a thread that discusses those points somewhere here if you were to search for that thread I'm sure you'll find it somewhere. Let's not beat this dead horse.

And correction it was an over 50% drop off rating from XIII to XIII-2 so it was a lot more than 2 million.

ashes_to_midgar
11th Oct 2012, 11:49
actually if u look at ff13 ff13 2s sales they dropped over 2 million with FF13 2 this doesn't surprise and ill explain why they dropped so much

#1 FF13 dissapointed and ticked alot of fans off #2 they added DLC BS to FF13 2 which turned away alot of fans #3 they added a sequel to what fans saw as a horrible FF game #4 fans are most looking forwards to versus 13 which they started developing at the same time as 13 #5 the cast of FF13 was the worst cast in any FF game ever #6 they went to sci fi with FF13 #7 the villan was boring in FF13 #8 they kept the auto battle feature

FF series isn't dead just FF13 FF13 2 are the worst in the series ive played

2 million sales drop should tell you something is wrong with the game note for people most RPGS dont sell over a million copies

Sources?

Also, Final Fantasy gets way more media attention in the U.S. then any other jrpg.

ashes_to_midgar
11th Oct 2012, 12:02
It all falls under the category of "fantasy" anyway, whether it's futuristic or medieval, it's still "made up," "imaginary." I can't think of another game series or any kind of series that has been better at combining modern/futuristic aesthetic with swords and sorcery. It's one of the things that makes FF so interesting, and also allows for much more creativity then just a drab medieval castle and some forests. Why would you want Final Fantasy to be like 100,000 other generic crap run-of-the-mill rpgs that are a dime-a-dozen?

Arietta
11th Oct 2012, 14:00
VG charts FF13 sold 4.88mill FF13 2 sold 2.12 mill

thats over 50% loss on sales

now i ask why would u make a third sequel after losing 50% of ur customers world wide?

Crow
11th Oct 2012, 15:56
Well, I think you're limiting FF here to the confinements of your own personal gaming opinion. Maybe to YOU FF is dead, but that doesn't mean it necessarily is. Sure it's not as great as it used to be (I blame the adding of voices and changing the music composer from Nobuo Uematsu) but it still kicks the **** of most other games and all other RPGs out there. FF X certainly was a bit corny (damn voice actors!) but besides that it was awesome. FF XII also had some corny moments, but all in all it's still great. Though I think the golden age for FF is passed (having ended with the release of FF X) I still really like FF compared to other games.

Tsuko85-409817
11th Oct 2012, 20:11
The franchise is not dead, and these trolling messages such as thread title hinder the necessary, currently nearly nonexistent positivity in the JRPG genre.

Franchise as such is as fine as it always was. There were always people disliking the current game, the thing was that the games came out much more often back then, so the focus was switched, softening the overall impression. Final Fantasy XIII is the current game for a long game now, so its flaws are often times overemphasized.

There is a problem though, and it is in the management. The management is a complete mess. Management of each of Square Enix Japan, North America and Europe made some disastrous decisions.

In the end, you thread creator negated your own argument right off. You obviously regard the PlayStation era as the last remnant of worthwhile Final Fantasy entries. There's already Final Fantasy Type-0 which has so much of that era in itself, concluding that there has been a good Final Fantasy released since 2001 (by your standards).

Granted, it hasn't been released internationally, but that's just another of the management's mistakes.

I think it's dead as a good rpg series, as a money maker for Square Enix, it's very much alive

I lost interest in the series after XII

I wish Square Enix would release some of their other games outside Japan

Saga 2 - Nintendo DS

Saga 3 - Nintendo DS

Front Mission 5 - PS2 but would be nice seeing it released on Vita or PSN as a PS2 Classic

Dragon Quest Anniversary Collection - Wii

Supernova
11th Oct 2012, 22:44
I think it's dead as a good rpg series, as a money maker for Square Enix, it's very much alive

I lost interest in the series after XII

I agree , I have more to say but I'm just lazy now -.-

hyne--
12th Oct 2012, 03:24

Again, this does not compute, because they made Final Fantasy Type-0.

Grimoire
12th Oct 2012, 03:46
Everything dies and is reborn, over and over again. After FINAL FANTASY XIII Lightning Returns has been released, the FINAL FANTASY series might die, but maybe it will be reborn with Versus XIII?

Arietta
12th Oct 2012, 04:50
id love to agree with versus 13 but personally i dont think the ps3 or xbox 360 can run the game so i think there going to keep delaying the game until the ps4 comes out

its been what 7 years now and 7 years+ and when they do actually release the game there going to lose $$ on it due to the fact that they have to pay there workers for 7 years instead of 1 or 2 just to make 1 game

does this mean im not looking 4ward to versus nope i am looking 4ward to versus but i dont see it being released any time we have been waiting 7 years for it and its still not released i wish they would just tell us the truth on why they haven't finished the game

Persona
22nd Oct 2012, 17:02
In my opinion VII and X were the best FF games. The only recent one that met the standard for a brach of game was Crisis Core. For me FFXIII was dissapointing for three reasons. 1.They completely changed the gameplay and lost a lot of the things FF was loved for and they changed it into kind of an action game not a total one either and the entire battle system hinges on whether you can stagger your opponent. 2.It was just a let down overall and the game itself was kinda cheesy I mean look at the characters' names for example Hope,Lightning,Snow,Fang. 3. Biggest reason here It was WAY TOO HARD!!I'm not lazy but a normal battle that lasts 20 minutes isnt fun neither is a boss battle that lasts 2 hours. And everything has a ridiculous amount of HP normal monsters and bosses. I think the last boss who is really overpowered has 6.7 million HP. Ahhhh I miss tthe good old days when my jaw dropped at Sephiroth's 400000 HP. Definetly not the worst game in the series no thats FFX2 but I'll save you the pain of me ranting about that. Final Fantasy XIV... I dont even think I need to get into this Final Fanatasy is an RPG game series not a MMO. I dont care how good it is (but I doubt it is) I won't pay 15 dollars a month for it. So unless they have some miraculous turn around yeah I'd say this series s dead.

FourBuckley
22nd Oct 2012, 17:44
Half dead. I think they were all good, but after the removal of the world map and the FF XIII with Lightning's bland and moody personality.... S-E has dropped the ball in my opinion. A FF just cant be linear and be called a FF game. Its alright to inovate and evolve gameplay but the appealing thing about FF was they had a world map and exploration.

Yoichi Wada stated that they want Versus XIII to be more in tune with the traditional FF games we grew up with. I just hope they will keep the Action RPG elements intact.

But yeah, they must be careful if they dont want to truly drop the ball on their popular franchise.

vitornavarrete
22nd Oct 2012, 18:04
Half dead. I think they were all good, but after the removal of the world map and the FF XIII with Lightning's bland and moody personality.... S-E has dropped the ball in my opinion. A FF just cant be linear and be called a FF game. Its alright to inovate and evolve gameplay but the appealing thing about FF was they had a world map and exploration.

Like X, right?

GaryDiamonds
23rd Oct 2012, 21:56
Greetings,

My name is Garret. I have been playing final fantasy for 21 years. I have played nearly everything that has the name final fantasy in it (save for a few I beleive, but regardless) so I would like to think I know a thing or two about the series, possibly three things. Before I get started I should mention, this thread is probably going to end up nowhere but on the offchance that anyone important enough to see this should read it, please continue to read. Also, not everyone is going to agree with my view points, I understand that so don't think that I speak for all gamers because that would be rediculous. My issue is with the way the series is going. The stories and plot lines and characters (for the most part) are smart and well put together, the characters are beleivable and seperate from each other and they could most certainly be a very large plus to a game, HOWEVER, while I have nothing against excellent graphics and movie sequences and such, what happened to when it wasn't all super real. What happened to the gameplay and graphics and brilliance, for lack of a better word, of the games of the olden days. I am fairly confident in saying that Final Fantasy 7 is the pinnacle of the series. It has everything. It has drama and comedy and action and puzzles and the sidequests and the breeding. That game was, in my opinion, one of the best games ever to be made and I am pretty sure I am not the only one who thinks that. But then what happened next.....8...... I am sorry if this sounds rude because I am sure ALOT of work and time went into but......wow.....it bombed. Badly....I can understand having to fill the shoes of seven. That would have been bear impossible but I am of the mind that at that point the series took the wrong route and started making the games more realistic and the battle system is different and "new". If you have something perfectly figured out and 75% of your players agree why change it? I mean possibly tweak it slightly but keep it going. I guess what I am trying to say in all of this is I miss the fun, relaxing, cartoonish days. What happened to the crystals? Why did that get taken out? It worked for nearly seven games and ya get rid of it? That seems silly. If, by some godly miracle) a new final fantasy came out with graphics that are taken back to the old style, not necissarily 8 bit or 12 bit but like it, if that were to happen there would a ***** ton of extra memory that could be used to for an increidbly epxansive story or different planets or something. The cut scenes you would make would be mind blowing. I am just missing the days of yesterday. I hope someone agrees with me, but if not, I always have seven on a psp so I am good with that. I could play that game a million times and not get bored of it.

Onigawa
24th Oct 2012, 06:08
I guess, it's kinda true....while i commend the Project Team for taking a step away from the usual, i'm so sorry to say that maybe it was a few steps too many...it was quite a number of years before i got a hold of FF-XIII but i was a little disappointed to see much has changed in FFXIII-2. Perhaps the one thing i may disagree with you Garret-san would be that the crystals are still here.. although in a different form..I find the Fabula Nova Crystalis idea to be absolutely perfect!! Just what we need, a return to the crystal idea..but as a concept it is good, it's application however was not satisfactory...anyone remember FF-XII? though with a number of "out-of-the-box", it still maintained the wonderful flow of gaming, my only complaint being that it wasn't turn-based as it was in the past... suddenly i yearn for the days of VII,VIII and IX.... not so much the graphics, but the gameplay... although turn-based, has lost the taste of the yesteryears.... or perhaps i'm having trouble keeping up...

As for you Garret-san...have you played XII,XIII.XIII-2?

Popcicle
24th Oct 2012, 11:25
As Lucas pointed out, Crystals have remained a major element of the series since FINAL FANTASY VII with every iteration including entries not found in the numbered series, case-in-point "FINAL FANTASY Crystal Chronicles".

I'm curious too, which games past FINAL FANTASY VII have you played--I'm sure I or others here could make some good recommendations that might give you more confidence in the series!

Soapstone
24th Oct 2012, 13:42
i am a long time FF fan as well, though not as long as some, i started with FF7 and have played almost every ff game, like you.

i generally agree with you that the series has gone a bit down hill since the old days of FF grandeur, but the games are still good in many ways, i just cant see how the FF13 saga can be saved after the ending of FF13-2! we have 4 phases in the main FF series: FF1-5 (the elemental crystal era), FF6-9 (the new generation), FF10/10-2 and 12 (wow this is different and new!), FF13 and beyond (is this really still FF?!).

FF1-5 are the good old days of 4 crystals being put in peril and causing the world to go into havoc. FF6-9 are when the series was taken in a new direction without any real crystals being shown in the game the way they were in the first 5 games. FF10/10-2 and 12 are pretty much hard to describe: these games were so different in the way they handled the story and elements seen in the earlier games, they stand on their own, good games for different reasons. FF13/13-2 and beyond, well lets just say this is a work in progress that Square had better pull out of the fire FAST!

now as for the current status of Final Fantasy, here are some things i got to say: What the hell were you thinking when you released FF11 and FF14 as online games?! i believe i voice the opinion of many fans when i say that FF11 and FF14 should be games in their own right, and NOT online, if an online game had to be made, it should have been titled seperately from the number, ie. FF online and FF online v2. as such we are 2 games short of what the current number of the series actually is: FF12 should be FF11, FF13/13-2 should be FF12/12-2, we should be on FF13 now, not FF15! mind you, people who have played the games that i have talked to have said they are excellent MMO's and are FF games in their own right, fine! i am not shelling out money every month to play the next FF game though, infact, i hear the games havent done that hot, even though they are popular among some people, they did so badly that FF14 had to be revamped apparently in the hopes of saving the game and money lost. word of advice: DITCH the 11 and 14 in the titles of those 2 games and rename em, make FF15 an actual FF11 or FF14 to fill in the empty spots you created through your monumental blunder!

as for FF13/13-2... anyone that has read up on them know they are part of a larger series called Fabula Nova Crystalis. this is cool, and has a drawback, the drawback only comes when certain companies refuse to release the games in the series! the FNC series comprises of FF13, FF13-2, Lightning Returns: FF13, FF Agito 13/Type-0, and FF Versus 13. when FF13 was announced originally, it was announced with 2 other games, FF Agito 13 and FF Versus 13, at the time, no one knew what the other 2 games would be like, FF agito 13 got released on the mobile phone in japan, much like Kingdom Hearts: Coded and FF7: Before Crisis (i think). however, just like KH re:coded being a ds remake, agito 13 was remade as FF Type-0 for PSP. type-0 got released in japan in oct. 2011, the game has been listed as TBA North America since before the game ever came out in japan! there were two demos released last year for type-0, and type-0 came out in october, which is about 3 months prior to the december 2011 release of FF13-2 in japan. therefore, it is the second FNC title that has been released! the game has a very dark, gritty and violent opening, i was very shocked by it, i was also in tears by the time the opening credits rolled! and this is just from the demo! well may 2012 comes, and its my birthday, i decide to import the game as a present to me, since the psp is multiregional. Type-0 is a monumental FF title, it deserves to be released here, it is the DARKEST of the FF games, ever released. the ending is the most tragic ending of any FF game, and the alternate ending makes things better, happy, and very hilarious! now i know the psp market right now is really crappy but i really want to know who to point the blame at! do i point the finger at sony for dropping the support for the psp here sooner than they should, and the lack of support causing its failure, while new games are still being developed as i write this, for it in japan? or is it the developers that dont release proper advertising for the games they make so the sales are listed as horrible? do i blame the sucky economy? do i blame the digital revolution? or do i blame gamers and the questionable uses that have been made available for the psp?

the point is this: the 25th anniverary of Final Fantasy has happened, FF3 was released for the psp as part of it, it was released in japan on UMD and on psn, SE gave it to everywhere else on PSN only! there are a few things WRONG with this picture: 1. FF3 is an annivesary title. 2. FF1, FF2 and FF4 are on UMD in USA. 3. FF1, FF2 and FF4 are ALSO anniversary titles! 4. RPG gamers are collectors, they like to have collections! releasing a FF game digitally like this is a big insulting flipping the bird at us! why is FF3 not getting the same treatment as the previous 3 FF anniversary games on psp?! i currently have only FF1 PSP, i am planning to get FF2 psp, and ff4 psp soon, SE not releasing FF3 on umd, makes me VERY upset!, and this in turn makes me wonder why the hell there has been no localization news on FF Type-0 for psp. when E3 happened earlier this year, everyone wanted the news of a release date of FF type-0, there was none. instead we got FF theatrhythm, FF dimensions, and news of FF3, you lost a lot of fans at this point! nobody really gave a crap for those titles, they wanted news of the big FF games, type-0 localization AND the release date of FF versus 13 in japan. people are troubled at the serious lack of info for versus 13, since the trailer hit in jan. 2011. also, rumors have been circulating since summer that localization is done for type-0 but for whatever reason SE wont put it out on the public feed! there was an interview with voice actor: steve blum, who is quoted for having done voice work for type-0, and was genuinely surprised that there is no news about it being released. then around sept. a new rumor started circulating that the game would see a nov/dec release, is this is true, where the hell is the news, the website, and anythign else pertinant about type-0 in official news? also, if/when type-0 does get released, i will personally call up Square-Enix and give them an angry phone call if the game is released digitally only! the game is massive! it uses 2 UMD's, and the UMD size is pretty big, in addition to having DATA INSTALL (disc 1 runs about 700mb, disc 2 runs about 1200mb), this makes it impossible for people with smaller memory sticks, i myself have had a 4gb memory stick for a long time, if the game was digital only, it would take FOREVER to dload, and take up my whole memory stick in the process! also, the game has to have a strategy guide! there are a ton of sidequests in this game, and not releasing a guide would be a huge failure! i would also like to point out that type-0 has manga that furthers the story and has had word of sequels coming out as well.

as for the non release of info on the final FNC game, Versus 13, after the stunt that kotaku pulled earlier this year, with "FF Versus 13 being cancelled and is being folded into FF15", and the only news we get from SE japan is "more news coming, please wait.", and when later happens, we are told "game is proceeding according to schedule, please wait for more news, and again we wait, and the same thing is said, again and again! the website has been up since jan. 2011, it still looks the same now as it did then, no news, just a 6min trailer! add to that that SE has "aquired" a lot of companies under the SE umbrella, and they forced us to buy the dlc for ff13-2, and delivered a broken game without it: unusable arena and partially working casino at serindipity, as well as the story dlc, makes me wonder if SE care more about making money, than making fans happy?! besides, DQ10 is gonna be an online game as well, just like ff11, and ff14. many dragon quest fans are very irate about this! also they have abandoned some of their LONG running series, or giving preference to japan only: the SaGa 2 and 3 DS remakes never EVER made it to north america, the last time WE saw them was on the original gameboy as the Final Fantasy Legend games!, also, the ps3 has been out for quite a while now, isnt it time for a NEW SaGa game made specifically for the ps3? i used to own SaGa Frontier, i currently own, Romancing SaGa and Unlimited SaGa for ps2, and intend to replace SaGa Frontier and get the never before played SaGa Frontier 2.many fans of the SaGa games are here in USA, and we are annoyed that we didnt get the ds Saga remakes, nor is there any new info about any new saga games!

i will say that if you dont do something to turn your company around, and release games that fans want to see, and address their concerns, you will lose their support and money from fans that have followed you since the squaresoft days!

Soapstone
24th Oct 2012, 13:52
if you want a good FF game, Type-0 is for you! it brings back the 4 crystals, combining it with the FNC mythos and handling it differently than FF13 does. also 14 playable characters, each with their own weapon and fighting style, an explorable world map like FF9 and earlier, chocobo breeding, a fully controllable airship with booster rockets, and a penchant for shooting enemy airships and zhus out of the sky, a really dark and messed up storyline, tons of sidequests, optional dungeons and bosses, and a huge multiplayer feature means this game will keep u busy for a long time! i am in my 4th playthrough, and still havent gotten everything done, due to the language barrier, i dont know a bit of japanese, and there is soo much in this game that is not doable without knowledge of it, or having a localized version of it (hint hint)!

alanman178
24th Oct 2012, 15:53
I definitely understand the posts in here. I've been playing FF games since 1990. I've played all of the numbered games except FF14. I still have FF11 going, and I can't afford another subscription. Up until this year, I had never posted anything about Square or their FF games in any forum. I started posting because, I'm a long-time fan of the series, and I'm concerned about it. I never really had a HUGE problem with the series until a couple of years ago. I had never felt so incredibly limited in a FF game(Exploration, Character Development, and Battle System). It was the 1st time over that 20 years that I felt disappointed after finishing a FF game. I was quite surprised about that. I sure as heck didn't want to feel that way. While I understand Square-Enix's approach in FF13, I don't think that's the right direction for the series to go in. I love Square to death, but I've been a little disappointed in them lately.

Onigawa
25th Oct 2012, 01:12
Actually Peelar-san, i too was surprised to find that a number of items that were usually unlockables became buyable DLCs.... What?? seriously?? Were it not for the fact I bought that FFXIII-2 Edition PS3 and got the game for free, i'd have for the first time in all my life of playing FF i might have abandoned the game completely...

YoshiKatYoko
31st Oct 2012, 04:00
To add something to this topic, XIII-2 selled less than a few than X-2. Both are sequels. But the important thing? X-2 should have sell pretty well because of the predecessor's good name. XIII-2 should have sell WAY less than X-2 because of XIII having mixed names. That's why I'm wondering why there's a little difference only between XIII-2 and X-2's sales.

Well I can sum up that there are still many into the FF franchise despite of changes happening. If you've been doing the math, XIII-2 has 3.2 million sellings + 6.4 from XIII for a combination of 9.6 million sellings.

YoshiKatYoko
31st Oct 2012, 04:14
In my opinion VII and X were the best FF games. The only recent one that met the standard for a brach of game was Crisis Core. For me FFXIII was dissapointing for three reasons. 1.They completely changed the gameplay and lost a lot of the things FF was loved for and they changed it into kind of an action game not a total one either and the entire battle system hinges on whether you can stagger your opponent. 2.It was just a let down overall and the game itself was kinda cheesy I mean look at the characters' names for example Hope,Lightning,Snow,Fang. 3. Biggest reason here It was WAY TOO HARD!!I'm not lazy but a normal battle that lasts 20 minutes isnt fun neither is a boss battle that lasts 2 hours. And everything has a ridiculous amount of HP normal monsters and bosses. I think the last boss who is really overpowered has 6.7 million HP. Ahhhh I miss tthe good old days when my jaw dropped at Sephiroth's 400000 HP. Definetly not the worst game in the series no thats FFX2 but I'll save you the pain of me ranting about that. Final Fantasy XIV... I dont even think I need to get into this Final Fanatasy is an RPG game series not a MMO. I dont care how good it is (but I doubt it is) I won't pay 15 dollars a month for it. So unless they have some miraculous turn around yeah I'd say this series s dead.

I hope you're not blind. 1. I think your statement is for XII. It has the MOST changes in FF history. XIII is not Stagger = win. You stagger you win? No. There are some cases Stagger isn't a win factor. 2. XIII was disappointing because of the characters names? That's stupid. I mean, it's a FF game. You don't expect names like Alexander lol. 3. You just don't know how to play the game. Last Boss has 6.7 million HP? OMG, that's way too easy. Why? Because you actually deal 9,999 dmg. X 5 (depending on how many is your ATB) at a 999% Stagger rate. I don't see why you don't complain about Yiazmat in XII which is merely 50,000,000 HP and you deal 9,999 dmg. WITHOUT Brk. Dmg. Limit in a single attack (combos only is lucked based). You get 8 hrs. before you defeat Yiazmat - time consuming no?

And FYI, 2 hours of boss battle? Are you playing a NCU challenge? If not, it's your problem, not the game.

gfunk23
31st Oct 2012, 04:24
don't squabble on the nitty gritty. it doesn't even matter how well the FF games r being made. that aspect is the last step. My opinion is JRPG's r dieing. and not cuz i want them to, i think there is less and less all the time.

Destinystarx
1st Nov 2012, 15:00
My opinion is that it's near a cliff. But not dead, it will be if it accidentally (or straight up commit suicide) slips off.

It's like its no sense of amazement like in the past games IMO. Like for me FFX has something about it that makes me wanna play more and more.

I like FFXII and XIII but not enough for me to keep the game. I can trade it in to get another game and not feel bad about it.

Destinystarx
1st Nov 2012, 15:05
don't squabble on the nitty gritty. it doesn't even matter how well the FF games r being made. that aspect is the last step. My opinion is JRPG's r dieing. and not cuz i want them to, i think there is less and less all the time.

In America yes, it is not as popular but in Japan it is(I think). America loves its shooters, lets hope they don't cross over to Japan and completly destroy JRPG with the shooters.

Grimoire
26th Nov 2012, 13:31
Square Enix Lists 5 Elements That Make a Final Fantasy Game

www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-1... (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-11-26/square-enix-lists-5-elements-that-make-a-final-fantasy-game)

<ul>
Magic
Summoning
Gorgeous beauty
Refinement
Change and challenge
[/list]

Grimoire
26th Nov 2012, 13:32
Square Enix Lists 5 Elements That Make a Final Fantasy Game

www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-1... (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-11-26/square-enix-lists-5-elements-that-make-a-final-fantasy-game)

<ul>
Magic
Summoning
Gorgeous beauty
Refinement
Change and challenge
[/list]

member_10334166
26th Nov 2012, 14:14
For FF, i see having a great cast of characters is a must and having a story that allows for character growth. I enjoy limit-breaks, overdrives, trance or whatever the special moves are called. I do enjoy seeing those flashy moves and the summoning as well. but if we're still playing with battle system final fantasy is known for, I would like to be able to control the other characters. That was something FF-13 didnt have and lowered the fun for me a bit. although in FF-13-2 you can change leaders but there was only two characters to pick from so what's the point.

member_10718990
26th Nov 2012, 17:33

If S-E decides to do that, then IMO, yes.

Doesn't mean I would like it and buy it :P

Wrong! It's the fans who decide what's final fantasy or not! We, the fans, make SQ Enix be SQ Enix!

alanman178
27th Nov 2012, 16:55
I thought Square was doing fine making the games the way they made the 1st 9 titles. I see those titles as the best description of what Final Fantasy is. They've gone from fully explorable worlds to most of the worlds being just pretty background graphics. Remember the 1st 5 hrs or so of FF7? You were battling through Midgar until the story eventually leads to the party escaping the city. It was a very enclosed and extremely linear part of the game. The game gradually opened up more and more throughout the playthrough. Now, imagine being in Midgar for over 30 hrs. Then, when you get to the world map, Junon is where the end of the game takes place. If that were the case, the kinds of arguments we see today would've started 15 years ago.

We can argue about Final Fantasy all day. We have Square-Enix to thank for that. lol

gfelagund-508096
27th Nov 2012, 21:23
Final Fantasy was the deal breaker for square back in the early 90s. It was called final fantasy because it was going to be the FINAL fantasy game that square was going to make if it didn't do well; and now 14 final fantasy's later it is the game that defines Square-Enix and what a real role playing game should be like and what every other company that makes rpgs try to duplicate.

gfelagund-508096
27th Nov 2012, 21:25
I thought Square was doing fine making the games the way they made the 1st 9 titles. I see those titles as the best description of what Final Fantasy is. They've gone from fully explorable worlds to most of the worlds being just pretty background graphics. Remember the 1st 5 hrs or so of FF7? You were battling through Midgar until the story eventually leads to the party escaping the city. It was a very enclosed and extremely linear part of the game. The game gradually opened up more and more throughout the playthrough. Now, imagine being in Midgar for over 30 hrs. Then, when you get to the world map, Junon is where the end of the game takes place. If that were the case, the kinds of arguments we see today would've started 15 years ago.

We can argue about Final Fantasy all day. We have Square-Enix to thank for that. lol

I believe that Final Fantasy worlds should be fully explorable too.. What ever happened to the world map?

Mouse99
28th Nov 2012, 17:46
Wow, loved reading every bit of the comments for this thread! Thank you die-hard Square Enix fans for such a spectacular read.

Hmm for me it has to be first and foremost the STORYLINE!!! Everything else is just icing on the cake http://na.square-enix.com/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif

WhitePrism
1st Dec 2012, 22:39
Well they're all pretty much based on Fantasy things that don't usually occur in this life, and it's usually a one time thing, then they move onto a whole new storyline. There are rarely sequels, so it's pretty final usually. ( Though they've been sticking on thirteen for far too long as a title, to me that ruins the name.) It's supposed to be new and exciting each game in the series with a number... there really shouldn't be any sequels, like a crystal. But Square Enix's crystal seems to have dulled for the moment, as a result from this constant thirteen thing. That I think might be partly to blame on Nomura, he tends to make sequels to the games he works on. He's a great storyteller though, don't get me wrong. It's just going against tradition...

I think what people miss is the fact Final Fantasy has been going more into character storyline then actual pick-up and play game that the first Final Fantasy offered. Basically Square Enix has become a double-edged sword of late, which isn't their fault... they've been bankrupt twice I believe in the past and had to merge companies, so they want to stick to what works. Kinda like Hollywood with all their remakes. They're getting afraid of losing then gaining. They're getting afraid of the light you may say, and retreating into the shadows where it's safe.

Tactical-Turtle
15th Dec 2012, 03:30
First post here so a quick introduction. I'm 30 years old and have been playing games on almost every platform available in my lifespan. Started with a VIC 20, then Commodore 64, NES, Amiga 500, SNES, PC, PS1, PS2, PS3 and i even bought a DS for the remakes of FF III and IV. I've played all FF games except I,II and XII (not counting spinoff titles such as X-2 etc).

(Warning personal opinion!)

I love the old games with the classic job system where you can swap jobs, but i don't mind characters with fixed jobs if done properly such as FF IX. What i don't love is how they in my opinion slaughtered the combat system in FF XII and XIII. It's ok for a franchise to evolve but to completely remove the tactical aspect of combat and make it into an automated combat system where you basically just sit and watch large numbers and flashy effects isn't my cup of tea.

Now i understand i may be getting old and i assume the younger crowd likes what it has become, otherwise i assume SE would go back to it's roots, i just personally don't like this evolvement. And i hope that the young people will get a chance to try the old combat and job systems on a new platform with up to date graphics and sound, (because alot of people can't play the old games on a SNES and get the same experience we did when that was the top of the line platform, which is totally understandable) and i bet that after trying those systems on a new platform they would look at FF XIII and call it complete garbage.

So i guess my point is... SE can you please pretty please make a game that takes us back to the roots of our beloved series and shows the new FF fans what this used to be, because i bet that if executed properly it would make the game reviewers wet in their pants, the old fans would LOVE you and the new fans that hasn't tried anything before FF X would get a glimpse of what this game used to be all about and i think they would actually like it for what it was.

So that was my little rant thanks for listening, now go make us a classic FF SE! =)

member_10829610
15th Dec 2012, 07:21
Did you try Final Fantasy Dimensions (http://www.square-enix.co.jp/smart/ffdl/en/)? I hear it has a somewhat classic feel to it (although it is only for Apple devices).

FatSqueek
15th Dec 2012, 09:14
Go play Lost Odyssey.

Randis
15th Dec 2012, 09:33
The battle system introduced in FF XII came with no surprise and i do not feel like it was a step back.
The active movement was already in FF XI and other games like the great Vagrant Story.
I have always enjoyed the technical innovations of the combat system in FF.

That being said i understand what you mean. My favorite FF title is FF VI but i understand that a company cannot just live in the past
and keep making games for the fans from 20 years ago.
It is the same with every other IP, game or movie, the only issue is the time.
People who played the old FF titles 20-25 years ago first will like those best and those who started playing FF with FFVII on ps1 will like FF VII best. The generation who started playing the series with the release of FF XIII will like this title the best, this is how it always will be.

This is a very natural phenomenon and you can see it everywhere. The older generations don&rsquo;t enjoy a lot of the new music and old fans hate the new star wars movies.

Once understood and accepted one would can the new games a lot more.
And you still can enjoy RPGs with a more classic look and gameplay for the handhelds.

bigtakilla
16th Dec 2012, 13:13
All I can say is you should pray for a localization of Bravely Default Flying Fairy. It seems like the closest thing we are gonna get to the greatness of an old school Final Fantasy with updated (though not HD) graphics. And I'm completely with you. The direction the new final fantasy's are going in BLOW!!!! But don't worry, there are still a ton of great RPG's that have the great old school feeling to them. Tales of Xillia (PS3), which is coming out next year, Xenoblade Chronicles(Wii), The Last Story(Wii), Tales of The Abyss (3ds), Ni No Kuni (PS3) coming out next year, Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance (3DS and BEAUTIFUL graphics) and be looking for Dragon Quest X (WiiU). It's kind of funny to know that a LOT of video game systems used to solely rely on a good RPG to sell the system. The Snes only really beat Sega when it came out with FFIV and FFVI. Playstations weren't really flying off the shelves until FFVII, and everyone bought a PS2 for FFX. Now we're in the next gen systems, and it seems the only system that had any RPG's worth playing was the Wii, DS, and 3DS. Now look at how many Wii systems were sold compared to PS3's or XBox 360's. Or 3DS's compaired to Vitas (which I know these statistics are a little one sided due to the 3DS being out an extra year.) Great RPG's sell a system, that's just facts.

FatSqueek
16th Dec 2012, 13:20
I'm fine with whatever, as long as it's executed well.

Tactical-Turtle
16th Dec 2012, 14:19
Thanks for the game suggestions guys - i'll look into them later tonight. On the topic... yeah i know i'm getting older and that alot of people actually like the direction the series is taking, i just wish they'd try some of the old formulas in a new wrapping and see how the younger crowd reacts to it. So i guess for now i'll just revisit the classics some more, take a look at the games you guys are talking about and pray for a remake of FF V. =)

Edit*

Ok so i just checked out that FF Dimensions, that's exactly what i'm missing - guess all i need now is an ipad hehe. I'll check out the rest of the titles you guys so generously posted here. Thanks again everyone.

alanman178
16th Dec 2012, 19:45
I'd like to see the series get back to being more "expansive" rather than staying as "compact" as the recent titles have been. I thought they were getting back on the right track with FF12, as far as giving the gamer more control in that FF world. In FF13, the player is incredibly limited throughout most of the game. It was very uncharacteristic of what a FF game normally offers. FF10 was similar in many ways, but you still had more control of your character development, deep weapon and armor customization, more sidequests, and mini-games.

The whole "nostalgia" argument may work for some fans, but definitely not all of them. I, for one, started playing FF way back in 1990 with FF1. My favorites are 7, 6, 4, and 12. For me, it's about expansive worlds with great atmospheres, good character development, and lots of content.

If anyone out there wants to know why the FF series has become what it is, it all started with this statement from the producer of FF10 over a decade ago in response to the following question referring to FF10:

Q) "Were any specific ideas or concepts from previous FF installments (especially from FFVII, FFVIII, or FFIX) used in FFX?

A) "Nothing in particular. Actually, we followed a theme of avoiding popular elements from previous installments. The elimination of the world map and ATB system are examples of this. In terms of story, there might be similarities between the worlds of FFVII and FFX."

- Yoshinori Kitase -

It was then when some of the major elements of the series started to disappear.

jimbrault12
17th Dec 2012, 11:13
Why is SquareEnix make games like Hitman and Tomraider? Previous FF titles were far superior to these games. I'm interested to find out the strategic direction of this company. Is it to make cheaper title and sell at a reduced price tag. The advertising for this game is $40.
Why can't this company realize that it can create superior titles that should sell at a premium and not a discount.

Can't SqureEnix differiate itself from it low quality compepitors and develop and sell superior products?

I believe Final Fantasy XII was the best game ever developed. Simply put a master piece. I would pay $100 USD for a title at level of FFXII. Final Fantasy XIII was good but not the level of XII. XIV was a disgrace and I fear that the company has become too timid in its bold approach to creating new titles that wow its' customers.

And please, do away with lightning. Young men and adult men play video games not young women. Square simply does not understand it's target market.

Does Square really want to sell to young girls and young boys that might idealize a woman who is a one-man army? What target market is that?

Focus on titles such FF XII, best sound, battle system and world I have ever seen in a game (Skyrim the only competitor on the world creation).

I also fear that Bethesda, maker of Skyrim, will take over the RPG space. It seems to be the case now. They have a great business model. Create an excellent RPG and then sell DLCs in 6 month intervals.

Hate to see a top-tier company such as Square fade into the shadow with sub-standard titles or loss of identity.

Here is the business model this company should use. A top-rated FF title every 1.5 to 2 years. Regular DLCs to add to the titles not cheap knock-offs like XIII-2.

Then if the programmers have nothing to do, create a Hitman or Laura Croft title. Come on, Final Fantasy made Square. Now Square is abandoning FF?

Grimoire
17th Dec 2012, 13:51
[General Forum Guidelines (http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139233/29068965/General_Forum_Guidelines)]

[Avoid posting the same messages in multiple forums across the board to widen the audience. In most instances, the forums are designed to reflect news and information specifically to single forums. If you feel the information is relevant somewhere else, be sure to cater that message to the different audience that might be visiting a separate forum category. Also avoid spamming your message multiple times in the same thread.]

Tactical-Turtle
18th Dec 2012, 03:09
I think you are right Alanman. I had the same feeling when playing FF X. The lack of worldmap really is a bummer, but i still played the game quite a bit even though i thought alot of the characters were bland and the story wasn't the best in my opinion, but i still put that game within my category of good FF games. As i mentioned i never got to play FF XII because i wasn't impressed with the whole realtime combat system, but i've decided to borrow it from an old friend and give it a try... maybe i'll love it who knows hehe.

I also tried that Ni No Kuni demo on the PS3, even though the art style is a tad "childish" i'm gonna buy it. It seems they have captured that feeling of weirdness and wonder i love from FF.

MagiusNecros
18th Dec 2012, 20:33
The good old days have long ended.

FatSqueek
18th Dec 2012, 20:38
No it hasn't, you're just looking in the wrong places. Go play Lost Odyssey, Radiant Historia, Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, Persona 4, etc. There are a range of options here.

MagiusNecros
19th Dec 2012, 12:43
I despise Atlus. Mistwalker makes few and far between. My comment is more focused on Square itself. The only titles worth noting are Type 0 and Bravely Default.

hyne--
19th Dec 2012, 13:16
I vote strongly against Final Fantasy Dimensions. These "classic" Final Fantasy games (re)released in the recent years are nothing but inferior emulations of the true classics, and that's because of one single feature; graphics. Square Enix is so obsessed with graphics that they think pixel art can be "upgraded". For that reason Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy II Anniversary Editions, Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection and Final Fantasy Dimensions will be failures as far as I'm concerned. I will always prefer versions like Advance and Dawn of Souls, true homages to the 16-bit era.

Square Enix could have done the classics justice. They could have made quality products which would be worthy standing alongside old Final Fantasies. They didn't.

member_10628951
19th Dec 2012, 13:22
I think people are exaggerating a bit much on this thread... ^_^'

FatSqueek
19th Dec 2012, 14:24
I despise Atlus

I can't help you.

MagiusNecros
19th Dec 2012, 15:34
I despise Atlus

I can't help you.

No you can't. The only Atlus games I'll stomach are SMT main series. Persona is not a series for me.

FatSqueek
19th Dec 2012, 16:36
Why don't you like them? Persona 4 is easily one of the best game I've ever played. Digital Devil Saga is basically Nocturne, but better. And Radiant Historia is like if FFVI and Chrono Trigger were fused. What's not to like, exactly?

MagiusNecros
19th Dec 2012, 18:55
High School settings and the character design aren't for me. Type 0 I could deal with.

FatSqueek
19th Dec 2012, 20:25
You dislike a game because of its setting? I didn't think I would get into the story either, but it really is a fascinating tale. Much written and told than most recent games in general. I'd give it a try if I were you. Don't play Persona 3 though. That game is god-awful.

MagiusNecros
19th Dec 2012, 23:10
To be fair my buddy told me to try P3. I think that was a mistake. On a scale of 1 to 10, how much better is P4?

FatSqueek
19th Dec 2012, 23:20
I have yet to find anything I dislike about it. I'm also 87 hours in. Still not getting old.

member_10800832
29th Dec 2012, 12:17
I haven't enjoyed a Final Fantasy since 10, I loved 4-10 (not any -2's or after stories). 7 Was believed to be completed, however this happend:

Before Crisis, Crisis Core, Last Order, Denzel, Dirge of Cerberus, & Advent Children. All were good additions to the Final Fantasy 7 name showing different sides to the world and the characters that reside within it. FF7 &10 Were arguably the best final fantasies, remaking them into more complete games with Nobuo Uematsu & Amano Yo****aka (the vita version could look like an anime!).

So Remake 7 with all of the "episodes" as part of a much larger game with a remade battle system with 13 being the back bone (the acrobatics & fluid field motion), maintain the materia system and the stat system from 7, make every part of 7 as it's own selection from the game menu, enable add-on content that's obtainable through the battle areana in the core game of 7.

I want that HD remake of 10!

Thanks for reading!

RiverOfTime
29th Dec 2012, 13:22
I haven`t played 7 and 10 is so hard at the second temple. X3 Heh. I just wish that they would bring back some old things to 14, like bangaa, nu mou, moogle, and vieras as playable races. Personally, I would love to be a moogle. Also, the jobs and spells seem a bit limited. I kinda thought there would be blue mages and time mages, or the holy spell. Your thoughts?

member_10800832
29th Dec 2012, 13:40
With 14 I was hoping for a distopian Era like 6-8 where things were brought to the brink of collapsing and everything was changing due to war, economic issues, greed, cataclysmic events, oppression. That is what got me hooked on Final Fantasy, they can keep the age old ideals, I want hardcore honesty and 6-8 provided that for me. 6 is my all time favorite.

FatSqueek
29th Dec 2012, 13:54
Oh god Final Fantasy X

Jeff_Bridges
29th Dec 2012, 15:12
The graphics and voice actors is not necessary, final fantasy before final fantasy 10 were great games weren't they? They don't need remade, I still play them once in a while and I don't mind the reading, or even the cheesy graphics on final fantasy 7. Infact the reason we can't have games like we use too is because they are too complicated and expensive to make. If they would continue to make games like final fantasy 7 - 9 with cut scenes and world maps...tons of side quests and secrets, that would be enough for me. I wouldn't mind a FFVIII-2 in the same style as the original. I'm not bashing FFX by the way, I loved the game and the story, enough I even suffered through FFX-2 to see Tidus come back lol. But to me the importance of a games elements go in this order, Gameplay, Story, Sidequests, Soundtrack, then Graphics. Too show my point, final fantasy 7 and 8 are your most praised games, because of the gameplay, story, sidequests, and music...some argue the graphics made 8 better, but its so close of a toss up. Final fantasy 9 didn't do as well mainly cause people didn't favor the story as much, some didn't give it a chance, but I thought it was good. Final fantasy 10 had good gameplay and story, not quite as good as FF7 but it was good, the graphics and voices were great, but also the main character which falls under the story category, wasn't as exciting as Cloud or Squall. Final Fantasy 12 had interesting gameplay, but the story lacked, not enough character mapping...and the story just felt a little empty...so that knocked it down big time. Just consider this in your next games Square-Enix.

SonySquareLove
29th Dec 2012, 15:15
I really do not believe they are going to kill anything. They know there is a demand for the classics and will fufill those fans dreams at the best possible time. There also may be a pride thing going on here. It is kind of shameful for them to just give in and admit they have not been improving over the years. (I believe they have, some disagree.) Let them do their thing. They are an awesome company who will hit another high note like 7 and 10 in the near future. I know they will.

bornagain418
29th Dec 2012, 17:10
I hope this isn't a serious thread. 13's battle system as the back bone? That was a terrible battle system. Every fight had the same strategy, and there was little to no planning needed for any of it. My 2 year old daughter could play that battle system by learning only how to change paradigms. FFX FFX-2 FFXIII and FFXIII-2 may be "good" games, but if you categorize them in the FF franchise they are absolute failures. What made FF great was the classic turn based actions, the amazing story lines, the amazing conflict between good and evil, (Kefka and Sephiroth being by far the greatest FF villians). As far as revent FF's, FFXII was an absolutely amazing FF. It was classic, what true FF fans have always loved. They went back to the amazing characters, story, and weapons that have made FF great. None of these stupid weapons that mimic a swiss army knife, or summons that turn into dune buggies. If I wanted that kind of crap I would buy a Transformers game. If SE wants to make a game like that, fine with me, but don't trash your FF franchise name to do it! FFX was a decent game, but it was merely a shadow in the background of the light of the classic FFs. As far as FFXIII, I enjoyed it, but I despised it, because it should not be classified as a FF. SE should have just started a new game title, and called it just "XIII", leave the FF trashing out of it. These are the things that long time FF fans would probably be pissed about in XIII: 1.YOU TOOK AWAY A WORLD MAP AND FORCED US TO FOLLOW A STORY LINE! We like to free roam you know? Do what we want, when we want.... We want to go suicidal and try to make it to that town on the other side of the map when we're 20 levels lower than the enemies in that area, not that's an accomplishment! 2. We want side quests to complete befre the story line is complete. -.- After struggling to get my way through the story line ONLY due to the fact that it is a FF, there is no way I'm going to waste any more time on "side quests" after the story line is completed. 3. I don't want a battle system with only 1 strategy for victory.... I want to be able to make armor, weapon, spell, and item combinations and be unique in my victory. You took that away from us, now you act like we're like stupid zombies. "Enemy 1 readies: change to paradigm X so you don't die." 4. I want to go up against some villian that is going to wipe out the world because... well, he doesn't have a reason, he's just going to do it. Do you realize that "The Dark Knight" was an amazing movie because the Joker was just straight up nuts? He didn't have a reason for what he did, other than, he enjoyed it.... That's the kinda guy I want to spend 80+ hours trying to defeat. SE, go back to what made you big, and don't stray from it again please.... Crazy villians, huge areas to free roam, lots of gameplay hours, a strategic battle system that will give us a sense of accomplishment with our victory. Please, we've been in a relationship for 20+ years, stop toying with our emotions!

alanman178
30th Dec 2012, 01:35
I can't say that I definitely know what's going to happen to the FF series. But, if Square Enix keeps killing off the things that made the series enjoyable for rpg gamers in the first place, I certainly don't see it being in the "rpg" genre for much longer. The FF series started to drastically change from FF10 and up. That was the beginning of the end of the expansive worlds of Final Fantasy. The "free roaming" via land, sea, and air had disappeared from the series. Personally, prior to FF10, I was used to the way FF games were made. I had always enjoyed Square's "approach" to the series.

Some people want to talk about how all of us should appreciate Square Enix for trying new things. I "used to" appreciate them for trying new things back when the new things were added "extensions" to the series. That company has been trying to "re-invent" the FF series with EVERY single game since FF10. I am in no way trying to bash FF10. I thought the game was ok. It's just that after playing all of those other FF games over the years, I really wasn't expecting FF10 to be so drastically different. I was expecting to see new things. I was ready to adjust to some changes. I "wasn't" expecting eliminations.

I never used to have to "hope" the next FF game would be fun for me. I just don't have as much fun with the FF games these days being so compact and limited. The FF series really used to offer a lot more. That's what people miss. That's why they want remakes.

member_10416696
30th Dec 2012, 03:45
I totally agree with you

changes are supposed to be adding new features

not taking away old ones like the world map and manuak control of the airship

Suikoden V was on PS2 and it had a world map

Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne was on PS2 and had a world map

neither of those had obnoxious voice acting like Tidus' voice actor

"A HAH HAH HAH" from the scene where he tries to get Yuna to laugh was probaly one of the most annoying parts of the game i didn't care for

member_10416696
30th Dec 2012, 03:49
I'd like to see a remake of Final Fantasy VIII to be honest, just don't discard random battles, world map or manual airship control

FatSqueek
30th Dec 2012, 10:19
I could do without the a remake of the worst in the series. One of VI, Tactics, or even Vagrant Story would be cool, but other than that, remakes are unnecessary.

member_10416696
30th Dec 2012, 11:26
VII one of the worst in the series
Are you serious?!

bornagain418
30th Dec 2012, 14:01
I think he was talking about 8, not 7. Or at least I hope, because 7 is by far not only one of the greatest FF's, but one of the greatest RPG's of all time. In your last comment you said 8, not 7. Anyway, I was a little impressed with 8. It had a really good story, actually one of my favorites. Squall was a cool main character, he wasn't a push over. The battle system was a little different, but it at least stayed with the classic RPG style. There is definitely a lot missing from it though. They should have kept equipable gear, armor, weapon, etc. They could have had a little better magic/action setup system. I didn't like that you had to junction certain actions, such as item/draw. Item should always be a default. It was a little different for the enemies to level with you, it had ups and downs to it. You couldn't just sit and grind on weak enemies for 40 hours and fly through the game, however, you could grind on average enemies for 40 hours and never have a problem with any bosses throughout the game. I loved the card game! Triple Triad was reason enough alone to play the game. And they had Omega Weapon, which gave a challenge regardless of your level. Sure there were some strategies that made him easy, but he still had a chance to wipe you out in seconds. I would definitely put other games ahead of this one when recommending it to others, but I wouldn't throw it in a garbage pile either. Overall, 8 was a pretty fun game.

FatSqueek
30th Dec 2012, 21:00
But why can Ellone see in the past? Why does Laguna suck so much? Why did anyone vote for him to be emperor of sci-fi land? Why did anyone think the draw system was a good idea? Why is it so easy to break every system in place and unless you fully and entirely neuture the game to make it easier? Why is Squall such an emo dolt? Why....?

bornagain418
30th Dec 2012, 21:13
lol, ok, I see your points. I will admit, it's not full of the greatest ideas. The draw system could have been left out, no argument there, but at least they were being somewhat original without completely trashing the rest of the FF attributes. I think Ellone can see into the past because of her connection to sorceress adel. I can't remember if she was born with the ability, or if she acquired it somehow by being chosen as a successor, but she has it, and that's why the esthar troops were after her. Laguna sucks because, like Tidus, he's just a puss.... I guess instead of making the main character suck, like 10, they decided to make another major character suck. That's my guess.... Anyway, he was appointed as the leader of esthar because he was the member of the resistance who sealed away Adel by pushing her into a freezing device, much like when Lord Darth Sidious Vader Anakin the Skywalker trapped Han Solo in carbonite and turned him over the the nutorious bandit gang leader known as Pizza-the-hut. Squall is emo because SE wants to reach out to the people who have no place in the world, and show them they can make a difference too? Yeah, idk, there are a lot of things that could have been better, or left out, but overall, it wasn't a total waste of money.

Tsuko85
31st Dec 2012, 14:26
I think he was talking about 8, not 7. Or at least I hope, because 7 is by far not only one of the greatest FF's, but one of the greatest RPG's of all time. In your last comment you said 8, not 7. Anyway, I was a little impressed with 8. It had a really good story, actually one of my favorites. Squall was a cool main character, he wasn't a push over. The battle system was a little different, but it at least stayed with the classic RPG style. There is definitely a lot missing from it though. They should have kept equipable gear, armor, weapon, etc. They could have had a little better magic/action setup system. I didn't like that you had to junction certain actions, such as item/draw. Item should always be a default. It was a little different for the enemies to level with you, it had ups and downs to it. You couldn't just sit and grind on weak enemies for 40 hours and fly through the game, however, you could grind on average enemies for 40 hours and never have a problem with any bosses throughout the game. I loved the card game! Triple Triad was reason enough alone to play the game. And they had Omega Weapon, which gave a challenge regardless of your level. Sure there were some strategies that made him easy, but he still had a chance to wipe you out in seconds. I would definitely put other games ahead of this one when recommending it to others, but I wouldn't throw it in a garbage pile either. Overall, 8 was a pretty fun game.

uh... i liked VIII the best and the Draw system was well thought out

FatSqueek
31st Dec 2012, 18:57
I love wasting my time farming too, great fun.

Tsuko85
1st Jan 2013, 14:05
I despise Atlus. Mistwalker makes few and far between. My comment is more focused on Square itself. The only titles worth noting are Type 0 and Bravely Default.

Why do you despise Atlus?

Tsuko85
1st Jan 2013, 14:06
I despise Atlus

I can't help you.

No you can't. The only Atlus games I'll stomach are SMT main series. Persona is not a series for me.

Which Persona games have you tried, don't judge all of them if you only played 3 and 4

Try the first three Persona games
Persona 1 and both parts of Persona 2
They don't force you to follow a calender day to day system or have Social Links

alanman178
1st Jan 2013, 14:32
My favorite Persona game is the 1st one. That game had an eerie atmosphere. I felt drawn in to that world.

MagiusNecros
1st Jan 2013, 19:59

It's more I hate the Persona series itself. The overall setting isn't for me. I feel like it's a bad anime. And I think the character designs are generally awful.

FatSqueek
1st Jan 2013, 21:29

It's more I hate the Persona series itself. The overall setting isn't for me. I feel like it's a bad anime. And I think the character designs are generally awful.

Have you played through a single one? I can understand that complaint about Persona 3, I've played just about every JRPG worth playing and none of them come close to Persona 4, except the first two Suikoden games. The characters actually seem intelligent as they frantically gather every logical piece of information at their disposal to identify the killer, which is something most forms of literature lack; characters who would to the intelligent thing in a bad situation. They aren't perfect, but their faults are genuine, which just adds to their believably If you don't like the school setting, I'm sorry, because you're limiting yourself on a game that's actually good. The battle system is challenging, blisteringly so later on, but always feels fair and very rewarding, and the establishing and developing social links is the closest a JRPG has come to actual role-playing. If you don't like Persona, try Radiant Historia. It's another Atlus game that's more kiddy friendly fantasy world, but still remains top notch. Nothing particular ground breaking, but it doesn't insult you whenever a character opens their mouth. The battle system is also pretty fun, although it's stupidly easy. Oh, and the character designs are fine. Much more unique and respectful than the messes Nomura seems addicted to making.

Tsuko85
1st Jan 2013, 22:00

anime....

If that's all you have seen under the Persona 4 Label... you are missing out
and you haven't said which anime you don't like
Theres quite a few Megaten anime series and ovas

MagiusNecros
1st Jan 2013, 22:07
Persona 3 was quite the turnoff. And what little I saw of Persona 4 from observation didn't help either by the sound of the character's voices. I only really care about the main series SMT. Not it's popular subseries.

Tsuko85
1st Jan 2013, 22:26
Persona 3 was quite the turnoff. And what little I saw of Persona 4 from observation didn't help either by the sound of the character's voices. I only really care about the main series SMT. Not it's popular subseries.

that's understandable, if you like the Main SMT series check out Persona, Persona 2 Innocent Sin and Persona 2 Eternal Punishment

those three don't have the anime theme that 3 and 4 have

MagiusNecros
1st Jan 2013, 23:07
I plan on purchasing SMT4 for sure. It interests me greatly.

Tsuko85
2nd Jan 2013, 12:26
I plan on purchasing SMT4 for sure. It interests me greatly.

Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner Soul Hackers comes out in April for NA

FatSqueek
2nd Jan 2013, 17:22

If you like the main series, go with Digital Devil Saga and it's sequal. They play similarly to Nocturne, and have a story worth the joysticks. Also, you can turn off the voices in P4. Not to mention P4 is leagues better than P3 in every aspect.

member_10687105
3rd Jan 2013, 09:27
I hope this isn't a serious thread. 13's battle system as the back bone? That was a terrible battle system. Every fight had the same strategy, and there was little to no planning needed for any of it. My 2 year old daughter could play that battle system by learning only how to change paradigms.

While you certainly have some valid complaints, this is not one of them. Allow me to rephrase with corrections for accuracy:

"Most fights can be defeated using a few basic strategies, provided the party is at an appropriate level for the fight. This allows a young child to pick up and enjoy the game without suffering from constant frustration. Advanced players have access to a range of strategies and tactics that can allow them to crush "on-level" encounters and to "play up" by defeating encounters intended for much higher levels."

In your ranting, you mentioned "side quests to do before beating the game". I assume you're referring to the missions, since there aren't many other side quests in XIII. Your comments suggest a belief that (most) missions aren't doable before beating the game. This is far from the case. Taking on the missions at stage 9 of the Crystarium (i.e. the stage you're at before beating the game) is a fun challenge that will test your strategy and tactics. I'll also note that all missions have been defeated at stage 8 of the Crystarium (where you are when you first encounter the missions) without using Shrouds or equipment upgrades. For that matter, all but two of the missions have been defeated in NCU (No Crystarium Usage), although admittedly, those guys are using upgraded equipment. I guarantee these accomplishments required strategies and tactics that are far more involved than whatever strategy you used when you played the game (at a guess, Relentless Assault/Diversity/Combat Clinic).

I'm not saying FFXIII is perfect; far from it, given the lack of exploration elements in the game (a huge negative for some gamers, barely an issue for others). I'm just saying that the battle system is excellent, and deserves to be called the backbone of the game. It's complex, deep, and accessible. It's extremely sensitive to improvements in strategy and tactics, without requiring a high level of strategy from all gamers. The question is this: why do gamers adopt a single strategy and fail to explore other possibilities even when they become bored?

t~

FatSqueek
3rd Jan 2013, 18:40
This bloke knows what's up. Agreed with everything in this post.

alanman178
3rd Jan 2013, 20:51
I didn't like FF13 "overall". It was too compact and limited, and didn't have the amount of content I'm used to getting in a FF game. I have to admit though, the battle system kept me going until I reached the end of the game. Most of the battles in FF13 really were very similar with the "Stagger and Assault" concept. But, I remember having a tough time if I didn't get creative with the paradigms in some of those battles. There were times when you'd better have a paradigm with a "Sentinel" or two ready or it's "Game Over". One of the things I didn't like about the battle system was the limited character control. I didn't like how a magic-user would just toss spells like firecrackers, either. Those things being said, the battle system was still the most appealing thing to me in FF13.

member_10687105
4th Jan 2013, 16:03
Most of the battles in FF13 really were very similar with the "Stagger and Assault" concept.

I wish I didn't see comments like this as often as I do. The battles don't have to be similar, but it seems that a lot of players don't realize their options. They apparently underestimate the power of alternate strategies, especially those based on using buffs and/or debuffs to exploit enemy weaknesses. Staggering is certainly powerful, and it's the easiest strategy to pick up, but it's frequently not the best plan, especially against enemies of middling or weaker strength. A quick application of Enfire or similar + heavy COM Blitz/Ruinga (and possibly some auto-buffing accessories like Sprint Shoes and Morale Talisman) will make much faster work of many enemy groups than staggering them one by one.

Between, buffs, debuffs, heavy use of COM, partial chaining (raising the chain but not to the point of stagger), and staggering (not to mention more esoteric stuff like the elemental damage synth groups), players have several different ways to amplify their damage in FFXIII. There's quite a bit of strategy in figuring out which of those are most effective and which are unnecessary for any given battle.

I suspect that these strategies get overlooked in part because FF players aren't used to having buffs and debuffs matter as much as they do in FFXIII. In most FF games, boss battles are about the only place where buffs matter, and debuffs rarely get used outside of challenge-level play. I know it took me (a veteran FF player) about a playthrough and a half to really start appreciating the power of FFXIII's SAB and SYN roles, and I've seen similar comments elsewhere.

t~

alanman178
4th Jan 2013, 21:14
Most of the battles in FF13 really were very similar with the "Stagger and Assault" concept.

I wish I didn't see comments like this as often as I do. The battles don't have to be similar, but it seems that a lot of players don't realize their options. They apparently underestimate the power of alternate strategies, especially those based on using buffs and/or debuffs to exploit enemy weaknesses. Staggering is certainly powerful, and it's the easiest strategy to pick up, but it's frequently not the best plan, especially against enemies of middling or weaker strength. A quick application of Enfire or similar + heavy COM Blitz/Ruinga (and possibly some auto-buffing accessories like Sprint Shoes and Morale Talisman) will make much faster work of many enemy groups than staggering them one by one.

Between, buffs, debuffs, heavy use of COM, partial chaining (raising the chain but not to the point of stagger), and staggering (not to mention more esoteric stuff like the elemental damage synth groups), players have several different ways to amplify their damage in FFXIII. There's quite a bit of strategy in figuring out which of those are most effective and which are unnecessary for any given battle.

I suspect that these strategies get overlooked in part because FF players aren't used to having buffs and debuffs matter as much as they do in FFXIII. In most FF games, boss battles are about the only place where buffs matter, and debuffs rarely get used outside of challenge-level play. I know it took me (a veteran FF player) about a playthrough and a half to really start appreciating the power of FFXIII's SAB and SYN roles, and I've seen similar comments elsewhere.

t~

Did you read my entire post? I know I could've worded that line up above a lil' better. I, for one, found myself trying to stagger many enemies throughout the game because, it helped me win the battles fast enough to earn better item drops. There were a few monsters here and there that I could kill by other means. But, for the most part, it was stagger 1st. Some monsters absolutely had to be staggered or else it was time to "Retry". I remember having to stagger the final boss before I could deal any kind of damage at all. I found myself making a few different types of "Stagger" paradigms throughout the game. Staggering is a big part of the game. No matter how you look at it.

h00aoj
9th Jan 2013, 15:25
FF is not what it used to be anymore. FF back in the days were quality products, top notch when it came to games as an expression of art, and storytelling.
I actually dont know what SE is trying to do with the series nowdays? What strategy have they decided when planning the future of the FF series?

Never felt this way before, but I actully considering not to pick up any more FF titles, just to show SE that they are destroying the best jpn rpg series ever created.
Look back at ur legacy instead, and ask urselfs why FF games during the 80s, 90s all recieved perfect scores by the media, and why the whole gaming community praised the FF series.

I mean, somebody at SE headquarters must have eyes and ears, and registred that many FF fans are feeling dissapointed, and there FF brand nowdays is just "meh, another crappie FF installment". How did it come to this!?!?!

alanman178
9th Jan 2013, 20:52
FF is not what it used to be anymore. FF back in the days were quality products, top notch when it came to games as an expression of art, and storytelling.
I actually dont know what SE is trying to do with the series nowdays? What strategy have they decided when planning the future of the FF series?

Never felt this way before, but I actully considering not to pick up any more FF titles, just to show SE that they are destroying the best jpn rpg series ever created.
Look back at ur legacy instead, and ask urselfs why FF games during the 80s, 90s all recieved perfect scores by the media, and why the whole gaming community praised the FF series.

I mean, somebody at SE headquarters must have eyes and ears, and registred that many FF fans are feeling dissapointed, and there FF brand nowdays is just "meh, another crappie FF installment". How did it come to this!?!?!

I agree with you for the most part. I don't think the recent titles are necessarily "crappy" games. I just don't like SE's approach to them. They have been trying to "re-invent" the series with EVERY SINGLE GAME since FF10. During that process, a lot of those special ingredients that had drawn so many of us to the series to begin with had begun to gradually disappear. That's why so many people want either remakes of the older games, or they want SE to make the new games using the old formula.

Personally, FF13 and FF13-2 did not satisfy the "RPG Gamer" within me like the older games in the series did. Those 2 games were "ok", but it didn't feel like I was playing a "Final Fantasy" style of a game when I played them. I remember saying out loud after finishing FF13, "There are going to be a lot of ticked-off people griping about this one." lol

SiiN
9th Jan 2013, 22:00
Well i think FF13 & 13-2 were great installments to the franchise. Yes they were different from previous titles but that doesnt make them "crappy", to me they lived up to FF standards. GREAT STORY, GREAT GRAPHICS and just all around fun to play... Thats what i look for in a FF game.

h00aoj
10th Jan 2013, 10:52
I agree with you, FFXIII series was OK, but it didnt feel like a final fantasy game.....

Has there ever been any recent interviews where SE comment on the reception of the FF games the last couple of years? The media hasnt been very impressed either with the series, somebody must have asked those negative questions to Mr Wada or whatever he is called runnin this company,,,,

Links?

jimbrault12
21st Jan 2013, 15:59
Seems like there is a lot of posts out there asking Square to bring back FF VII or XII. Is there people out there that feel the same way? More importantly, what is Square's reponse?

moooka
22nd Jan 2013, 00:14
The PS1 FF games were the best. Bravely Default (3DS) is kinda similar to them, but don't know why Square doesn't want to release it outside Japan.

BeatBox917
3rd Feb 2013, 00:44
I've had it.

I've been a fan since I first played (American) Final Fantasy II on the SNES back when I was in 2nd grade. It opened my eyes. I couldn't fathom how such an amazing concept could be wrapped up inside such quirky graphics and characters like Palom and Porom. From there, of course my love of the franchise only grew and grew. FFVI? Ripped my heart out of my chest (in a good way). I don't think I need to explain further.

AND THEN...

For whatever reason...

Square stopped caring.

I don't know what's going on with you all at Square-Enix, but apparently you are too proud to look at current game and design standards to realize that ALL YOUR CURRENT TITLES ARE COMPLETELY DISPOSABLE BY COMPARISON TO EVERY FF GAME PRIOR TO (and NOT including) FFXI.

So you say you won't remake FFVII until you've created "a game that surpasses it"? Don't be so arrogant. Your customer base has asked and told you time and time again that it no longer NEEDS original work from you, and you stand to do... what, exactly? GAIN MILLIONS OF DOLLARS WITHOUT HAVING TO HIRE A WRITING DEPARTMENT TO FLUSH OUT THE DETAILS>?!?!"!??!?!?

You could quite literally remake all of your previous titles, from 1 to 10 in HD for current gen graphics, NOT restrict them to any specific console (meaning include PC) and make MILLIONS AND MILLIONS OF DOLLARS.

Why does every single person in charge of money at SE hate profit?!?!?!

Or are you all just sadistic?

Grimoire
3rd Feb 2013, 00:53
"ALL YOUR CURRENT TITLES ARE COMPLETELY DISPOSABLE BY COMPARISON TO EVERY FF GAME PRIOR TO (and NOT including) FFXI."

That may be your opinion, but it is not mine. To each, their own.

"So you say you won't remake FFVII until you've created "a game that surpasses it"?"

Wada said this. Many of the actual creators have stated that they do not agree.

moooka
3rd Feb 2013, 00:54
Did you try Final Fantasy Dimensions? That is very much like the 16-bit FF titles.

NecraMancie
3rd Feb 2013, 01:44
I've had it.

I've been a fan since I first played (American) Final Fantasy II on the SNES back when I was in 2nd grade. It opened my eyes. I couldn't fathom how such an amazing concept could be wrapped up inside such quirky graphics and characters like Palom and Porom. From there, of course my love of the franchise only grew and grew. FFVI? Ripped my heart out of my chest (in a good way). I don't think I need to explain further.

AND THEN...

For whatever reason...

Square stopped caring.

I don't know what's going on with you all at Square-Enix, but apparently you are too proud to look at current game and design standards to realize that ALL YOUR CURRENT TITLES ARE COMPLETELY DISPOSABLE BY COMPARISON TO EVERY FF GAME PRIOR TO (and NOT including) FFXI.

So you say you won't remake FFVII until you've created "a game that surpasses it"? Don't be so arrogant. Your customer base has asked and told you time and time again that it no longer NEEDS original work from you, and you stand to do... what, exactly? GAIN MILLIONS OF DOLLARS WITHOUT HAVING TO HIRE A WRITING DEPARTMENT TO FLUSH OUT THE DETAILS>?!?!"!??!?!?

You could quite literally remake all of your previous titles, from 1 to 10 in HD for current gen graphics, NOT restrict them to any specific console (meaning include PC) and make MILLIONS AND MILLIONS OF DOLLARS.

Why does every single person in charge of money at SE hate profit?!?!?!

Or are you all just sadistic?

I can honestly say that I've not played any of the new Square Enix Games since Dragon Ba-- er, QUEST 8. I can say without a shadow of a doubt... if I wanted to play DBZ, I'd buy a DBZ Game. As far as Dragon Warrior/Quest goes... it's gone DBZ. I won't touch it. Not even with a 29 1/2' pole.

But that's not what we're talking about.

I can tell you know that Final Fantasy 14 revamp looks amazing. Never played it before they took it down for revamp, but I heard it sucked so bad, they replaced the dev. team for 14. I never got to finish FF12 (PS2 died... *sniff*), but I loved what I got to play of it. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance? Hell yeah, I'll play that game for hooooours. Not every single Square Enix game has blown chunks as far as the Final Fantasy titles go... Well, FFX-2 did! But that's neither here or there.

I think they're actually doing a good job... save for a few bad games here and there.

moooka
3rd Feb 2013, 02:40
Dragon Quest games are RPGs. DBZ games are mostly fighting games. BIG difference. I don't know why you even say that. The only common thing is Akira Toriyama's art style. If you don't like his art style, that's OK, but others do love it.

elsonSCCP
3rd Feb 2013, 13:51
Square Enix disapoint me because they not made a Type 0 localisation,for the 7 years Versus XIII delay (i'm waiting) and Final Fantasy XIII-2 make me sleep some times i played (never happened before),but the other games i liked soo much.

Firestarter
6th Feb 2013, 16:52
I&rsquo;ve got to voice my opinion.You cant slay a monster and keep poking it for gil, Square Enix your still living off the corpse that is final fantasy and your games after FFX are appalling as a result you appear to be incapable of coming up with your own original ideas as you&rsquo;ve obviously stolen ideas from movies.

I&rsquo;ve been a loyal fan since the beginning and it wasn&rsquo;t until you started going down hill that I started reading stories, watch movies that predate your games, as a result I discovered you ripped them off. I know I&rsquo;ll anger the fans on here if I refuse to go into great detail of what I&rsquo;ve discovered but do your research and you&rsquo;ll find things that predate final fantasy that have had curtain story elements which have been reused in their games.

If you continue on this trend then you will never create a game to surpass FFVII and may I add that game was a stepping stone, its not something you should rely on over and over again. Yes theirs a lot of potential for the VII but you cant see it.

So in the end you&rsquo;ve run out of fresh ideas and decided to resell your games for DS and to sell old games on the PS network. it&rsquo;s a shame that you keep making sequels to game, Lightning returns my &hellip;

poorboy157
12th Feb 2013, 14:02
This is my first post here on Square Enix, and I am posting as a fan of one of the two sub-generes heavily represented by the final fantasy series.

To put my argument bluntly, I would like to see Square Enix create a new game series which can recapture the ff7-ff8 market.

It is my understanding that there is a major divide in the final fantasy customer base which I would estimate as having occured between ff7 and ff9. I don't bring up pre-ff7 because these titles are harder to classify and there is less coherent discussion as to what aspect of these games people would like to see brought back to life. Regarding ff7 & ff8 we have a dystopian future with relic technology, dominant global actors playing very dangerous games for ultimate power, and complex anti-heros. Post ff8 we have less focus on gritty futures and more focus on fantasy lands full of grand creatures and mostly customizable characters. Put simply 7-8 are story games with a similar flavor, post 8 progresses more into graphics and explorability (yes post ff8 titles deviate from one another quite a bit and this is a blanket statement).

As can be seen time and time again in the forums and elsewhere there are those calling for the new games which come out to be more similar to ff7 with less graphics and richer story, and those who want more fantasy land with the best graphics possible. There is not a better or worse, just two markets desiring a product to have characteristics which are mutually exclusive. Within Square Enix I'm sure there are programmers who are disposed to produce more similar to one game or the other. If its cost effective, why not split the talent within square enix satisfying employees, and customers and develop a new series which is very similar to Final Fantasy except that it focuses on one group of attributes over the other.

This would allow both series to fully divest themselves into what they're supposed to be satisfying both markets and allowing more pure feedback for design.

This would foster better employee relations as game designers love to develop games they can get spirited about.

This potentially creates a new series with which Square Enix can profit. (those ff7&8 fans that have left will come back, those ff9+ fans will stick around, and those fans of both will have a second game series that they can purchase from)

As the games would have similar engines there would be shared software development costs allowing for a game to be developed at half price.

Best of luck Square Enix,
Poorj

hyne--
12th Feb 2013, 17:36
To put my argument bluntly, I would like to see Square Enix create a new game series which can recapture the ff7-ff8 market.

Already done -- Final Fantasy Type. There's a catch though.

destruction7
12th Feb 2013, 18:29
Most important make fun.

moooka
13th Feb 2013, 00:26
Honestly I can't say I agree with the categorization you did.

keikoku01
15th Feb 2013, 00:09
I feel like nowadays RPG games are hunting for the best graphics. I read on wikipedia that if FINAL FANTASY VII remake into PS3,

"In February 2010, Kitase said that in order to give a PS3 port of Final Fantasy VII a similar quality to Final Fantasy XIII, it "would take as much as three or four times longer than the three and a half years it has taken to put this Final Fantasy together! So it's looking pretty unrealistic to happen!" Kitase also commented that making games with the same style as Final Fantasy VII for the PS3 is very difficult, as it would take the staff too much time to create the graphics; because of this, Final Fantasy XIII is "more linear" than previous titles.[/url]"

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_fantasy_vii#Legacy"]en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_fantasy_vii#... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_fantasy_vii#cite_note-158)

so the old FINAL FANTASY (from I to IX) is more complicated than recent title, make them more challenging and more fun to be played, although the graphics not so good.

FatSqueek
15th Feb 2013, 00:28
Are you telling me that a 25 year old series has undergone change!?

poorboy157
15th Feb 2013, 11:52
I can understand not agreeing with the categorization, the thrust of my argument does not rely on that however, what is most important is the recognition that there is largely two groups in the final fantasy world who are vying for mutually exclusive satisfaction.

Only recently did I realize that another company has largely pulled off what I would like to see square enix do... Bethsheda has produced Skyrim and Fallout 3 which when looked at from a distance are two very different games but when looked at closely operate on many of the same principles. They've managed to satisfy two very different groups with two similar games.

NC4190
15th Feb 2013, 15:32
I completely agree.....the series has drifted from the greatness it once was.

FatSqueek
15th Feb 2013, 16:26
In Atlus we trust?

alanman178
15th Feb 2013, 21:34
I feel like nowadays RPG games are hunting for the best graphics. I read on wikipedia that if FINAL FANTASY VII remake into PS3,

"In February 2010, Kitase said that in order to give a PS3 port of Final Fantasy VII a similar quality to Final Fantasy XIII, it "would take as much as three or four times longer than the three and a half years it has taken to put this Final Fantasy together! So it's looking pretty unrealistic to happen!" Kitase also commented that making games with the same style as Final Fantasy VII for the PS3 is very difficult, as it would take the staff too much time to create the graphics; because of this, Final Fantasy XIII is "more linear" than previous titles.[/url]"

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_fantasy_vii#Legacy"]en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_fantasy_vii#... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_fantasy_vii#cite_note-158)

so the old FINAL FANTASY (from I to IX) is more complicated than recent title, make them more challenging and more fun to be played, although the graphics not so good.

FF10 was very linear, and on a system full of open-world rpgs; the PS2. Squaresoft(their title at the time) decided to make major changes in the series over 12 years ago. They wanted to attract people who've never played a game in the series before.

SE is going to continue to make what they want to make. They believe if you don't like the current FF game, you'll just wait for the next one. I wish SE would stop 'GAMBLING', and start growing and enhancing the ideas that made the series great to begin with. The FF series is attracting more and more people who don't care for half of the things that I, and many people like myself, have loved since the very beginning. It's definitely frustrating.

FatSqueek
15th Feb 2013, 22:47
I don't care where they take the gameplay, as long as the stories aren't insulting piles of frustration-dung.

MagiusNecros
16th Feb 2013, 19:06

Ha ha ha.

*cries*

Mr.Anderson
17th Feb 2013, 14:33

Ha ha ha.

*cries*

(T^T)

ffleader1
26th Mar 2013, 05:32
I love the Final Fantasy Series and I believe many people do. 12 years ago, Final Fantasy X was released. I was a magnificent game. One of the things that I like the most about the game is the Songs: Suteki Da Ne. The problem is, after Final Fantasy X, the series started to go down. Final Fantasy X-2 and Final Fantasy XII was great. However, Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy XIV are 2 online games. What's the series name? Final Fantasy... Yes. I don't know how do people define it but to me, that means in the end of every single game, miracles will happen. So how can Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy XIV, which are both online games, live up to the tittle? I watched the Final Fantasy XIV ending on you tube but still, the game itself has no proper ending, not to mention that it's a total shame of Square Enix. In my opinion, as well as my wish, Square Enix please make some games and name them Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy XIV ( brand new story maybe) and focus on the Final Fantasy series more rather than developing other games.Hironobu Sakaguchi and Nobuo Uematsu left Square Enix in 2004 . What a shame! I hope that one day, Hironobu Sakaguchi and Nobuo Uematsu will come back and create new stories and will become legends like Final Fantasy X. Make the games with your hearts as I love the games with mine... That's just my opinion though, don't hate me :((

FatSqueek
26th Mar 2013, 08:40
reborned like the feeenix

Gyro
14th Apr 2013, 21:53
Im sure ill be recieving some backlash from the newer generation of final fantasy gamers but please. This series was once upon a time my favorite game series of all time and i still swear by the statement that final fantasy vii was the best game i have ever played to this day in my 20 years of gaming. The final fantasy game has taken a serious turn for the worst. If i wanted to play an mmorpg i would play world of warcraft. Final Fantasy was not made to be this way so why do you continue to ruin what was once so great. Excuse the language that is about to follow this but cut this online bull**** out. I was not the biggest fan when 10 was released but compared to what ive seen with the games following it, it is the rockstar of all the final fantasy games released after playstation. Its as if you have sacrificed having an amazing story line, having to work hard to find secret items and tricks, and overall just the most enjoyable experience once had in the franchise between 1-9 simply because you can rely on good graphics now and cinematography and ignore what once made it the greatest game of all time. Bring back the creativity, bring back the feeling of restlessness because the game was so addicting one would sacrifice sleep to continue playing, bring back the feeling that i am actually playing final fantasy and not just another bull**** online game like all the rest that are mass produced. Im sorry for ranting but the changes made to this game are the main reasons i have not had made a purchase of a playstation after ps2 and switched to xbox 360 instead and have no intention of playing final fantasy anymore until a game that is true to the series is released.

alanman178
15th Apr 2013, 20:16
I understand where you're coming from. Personally, I haven't enjoyed the series 'as' much since FF9. There was a major change in the game-design starting with FF10. I think the company has done well with what they've set out to accomplish. But, some of the things they'd set out to do with the series were uncharacteristic and not what many of the fans were looking for. The first 9 titles carried over a sense of tradition and familiarity that was unmatched by many other rpg titles.

It's ok to make a few changes here and there as the series progresses. But, there is such a thing as "going overboard" with the changes. Many people feel that way, and they're expressing their thoughts in the forums. If you're upset about something, you need to vent. It's unhealthy to hold it all in. :)

sakura30
16th Apr 2013, 03:23
I completely agree. They need to quit making games that go after W.O.W. or star wars, if I wanted to play those games I would play them, not a cheap copy of it. I love Final Fantasy, the true Final Fantasy that was like no other game. It was in a class of it's own. FFX was the last great Final Fantasy game there was, FFX2 sucked, but I played it to get my happy ending for FFX, everything after that is just some cheap copy of games that already exist. Go back to the Final Fantasy roots and remind yourselves what made it so great, then make a new FF that follow the same path as those, not other rpg.

elsonSCCP
16th Apr 2013, 06:24
Final Fantasy XI and XIV are the two titles in the series the last few years that I want to play, all I hope for a Final Fantasy is there.
But are online and in my opinion if Square Enix wants to promote a revival of the series needs to revive itself with a change in the presidency I hope that happens.
I personally prefer Final Fantasy molds in ancient medieval thing and a dash of futurism, castles, dungeons and wars between kingdoms, many of her ...
I am fan of Final Fantasy XII so has everything I want in a title in the series, I hope that Square Enix make me feel again the pleasure I had with Final Fantasy XII, VI, IX and etc ...

elsonSCCP
16th Apr 2013, 06:56
I want to make clear that I speak for myself, after the departure of Hironobu Sakaguchi series took another turn, not bad I guess, but it was not the same anymore ...
Square Enix developer was my favorite, but after some frustrations with care, silence, etc., I was very disappointed once I had no internet and I could not relate to it, but now I am able to use internet and it's like we did not exist as I said before I speak for myself ...
The series Final Fantasy XII until the game was my favorite, still is I guess, but without Hironobu Sakaguchi do not see with the same eyes more ...
I'm not here doing merch this game, I do not want harm Square Enix, but if you have not played Lost Odyssey is losing a good old Final Fantasy, even with all loads the game makes you feel "I'm going back to the past '

member_10257555
16th Apr 2013, 14:13
I completely agree. They need to quit making games that go after W.O.W. or star wars, if I wanted to play those games I would play them, not a cheap copy of it. I love Final Fantasy, the true Final Fantasy that was like no other game. It was in a class of it's own. FFX was the last great Final Fantasy game there was, FFX2 sucked, but I played it to get my happy ending for FFX, everything after that is just some cheap copy of games that already exist. Go back to the Final Fantasy roots and remind yourselves what made it so great, then make a new FF that follow the same path as those, not other rpg.

Does it help that FFX and FFX-2 *Spoiler* are actually prequels to FFVII? For me FFX-2's gameplay style was its redeeming quality. I would like to think of the recent Final Fantasy games as trials for something better (same could be said about KH). I've recently noticed that Square is transferring gameplay styles between FF and Kingdom Hearts games. FFXII, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, FFXIII, Dissidia, FFXIII-2, and Duodecim seem to play very similarly to a KH game. Even DoC's aiming system that everybody hated came back in Birth By Sleep (if it didn't, I would never have survived *Spoiler* Terra-nort). Lets not forget the Pokemon-like system that FFXIII-2 and then Dream Drop Distance used. When one thinks about in that sense, Final Fantasy was always a series about change and innovation. Square does bring back old ideas for the newer games; FFX, FFX-2, FFXIII, and FFXIII-2 allowed players to change the classes of characters and alter/improve to our liking which was a concept borrowed from FFIII. Perhaps Square really wants to develop a new FF game that overshadows the like of FFVII (they are probably getting sick of fans begging for an HD re-release). This also applies to KH as well.

SoulEaterQUEEN
16th Apr 2013, 14:33

Does it help that FFX and FFX-2 *Spoiler* are actually prequels to FFVII? For me FFX-2's gameplay style was its redeeming quality. I would like to think of the recent Final Fantasy games as trials for something better (same could be said about KH). I've recently noticed that Square is transferring gameplay styles between FF and Kingdom Hearts games. FFXII, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, FFXIII, Dissidia, FFXIII-2, and Duodecim seem to play very similarly to a KH game. Even DoC's aiming system that everybody hated came back in Birth By Sleep (if it didn't, I would never have survived *Spoiler* Terra-nort). Lets not forget the Pokemon-like system that FFXIII-2 and then Dream Drop Distance used. When one thinks about in that sense, Final Fantasy was always a series about change and innovation. Square does bring back old ideas for the newer games; FFX, FFX-2, FFXIII, and FFXIII-2 allowed players to change the classes of characters and alter/improve to our liking which was a concept borrowed from FFIII. Perhaps Square really wants to develop a new FF game that overshadows the like of FFVII (they are probably getting sick of fans begging for an HD re-release). This also applies to KH as well.

What evidence did you find for that spoiler (first spoiler)? I don't see the remote link whatsoever.

member_10257555
16th Apr 2013, 15:00
www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_emb... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=e4Cy8b0cXbM)

finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Shinra_(Final_Fantasy_X-2) (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Shinra_)

Click on FFX-2's Shinra and scroll down to connection with FFVII.

Grimoire
16th Apr 2013, 18:12
005 www.ign.com/faqs/2006/final-fantasy-x-2-... (http://www.ign.com/faqs/2006/final-fantasy-x-2-ultimania-faq-702971)

Altair777
17th Apr 2013, 00:25
I think when one starts to take all the connections that all the final fantasy games have and to understand that their creators did not made a linear evolution of a story it becomes a little selfish to demand a ''revival'' tittle as is increasing in the players communities, because in fact already all these games did was reencarnate.And taking the ''connection creative factor'' into our own world(Earth) theres some kind of paralel evolution indeed too, I think this is starting to become evident now, at least for those doing their homeworks.And as for the mechanics of the games i think is healthy to try to explore all the consoles have to offer, the origins will return when theres nothing more to explore.

Sonic0170-422647
17th Apr 2013, 03:32
I fear, with the loss of Hironobu Sakaguchi, final fantasy as a series will keep falling slowly and Squeenix will suffer greatly.

Sakaguchi was involved in every single game up to XII (i personally hated X but i have to admit it was better than the XIII series so far).

He even helped guide XI (I personally believe this was the biggest reason XI succeeded), which of course was a huge success and without his guidance on XIV 1.0, i feel was one of the many reasons XIV tanked.

Lets be honest FinalFantasy was Sakaguchi's brainchild and I personally believe finalfantasy may never be finalfantasy again without its creator guiding it in the proper direction.

I honestly hope that someone some day can capture the same genious and save the series, I have some faith that maybe someone will step up and save it, maybe Hiroyuki Ito or Yoshinori Kitase, both great influences since they were in charge of finalfantasy VI which was the greatest finalfantasy game ever made. I also have faith in Kitase since he was in charge of finalfantasy VII, the 2nd greatest finalfantasy ever made, but even with all that said, without Hironobu Sakaguchi, Squeenix is still going to be crippled until the right man is found to take his place.

as far as I am concerned, no FinalFantasy game ever failed with Hironobu Sakaguchi involved in it or guiding it.

Sonic0170-422647
17th Apr 2013, 03:58
I understand where you're coming from. Personally, I haven't enjoyed the series 'as' much since FF9. There was a major change in the game-design starting with FF10. I think the company has done well with what they've set out to accomplish. But, some of the things they'd set out to do with the series were uncharacteristic and not what many of the fans were looking for. The first 9 titles carried over a sense of tradition and familiarity that was unmatched by many other rpg titles.

It's ok to make a few changes here and there as the series progresses. But, there is such a thing as "going overboard" with the changes. Many people feel that way, and they're expressing their thoughts in the forums. If you're upset about something, you need to vent. It's unhealthy to hold it all in. :)

Although i personaly enjoyed XII (excluding end game parts during and after the bahamut) and with an exception for the black sheep only because it got a number instead of just being titled "online", I have to agree that FF has been slowly dying since IX and if Versus XIII/XV fails then the series is doomed.

sukri1982
17th Apr 2013, 11:22
Im sure ill be recieving some backlash from the newer generation of final fantasy gamers but please. This series was once upon a time my favorite game series of all time and i still swear by the statement that final fantasy vii was the best game i have ever played to this day in my 20 years of gaming. The final fantasy game has taken a serious turn for the worst. If i wanted to play an mmorpg i would play world of warcraft. Final Fantasy was not made to be this way so why do you continue to ruin what was once so great. Excuse the language that is about to follow this but cut this online bull**** out. I was not the biggest fan when 10 was released but compared to what ive seen with the games following it, it is the rockstar of all the final fantasy games released after playstation. Its as if you have sacrificed having an amazing story line, having to work hard to find secret items and tricks, and overall just the most enjoyable experience once had in the franchise between 1-9 simply because you can rely on good graphics now and cinematography and ignore what once made it the greatest game of all time. Bring back the creativity, bring back the feeling of restlessness because the game was so addicting one would sacrifice sleep to continue playing, bring back the feeling that i am actually playing final fantasy and not just another bull**** online game like all the rest that are mass produced. Im sorry for ranting but the changes made to this game are the main reasons i have not had made a purchase of a playstation after ps2 and switched to xbox 360 instead and have no intention of playing final fantasy anymore until a game that is true to the series is released.

I agree 100%, please hear the demand from the user. Don't venture into something that is beyond your expertise such as Tomb Raider.

member_10257555
17th Apr 2013, 14:14
I fear, with the loss of Hironobu Sakaguchi, final fantasy as a series will keep falling slowly and Squeenix will suffer greatly.

Sakaguchi was involved in every single game up to XII (i personally hated X but i have to admit it was better than the XIII series so far).

He even helped guide XI (I personally believe this was the biggest reason XI succeeded), which of course was a huge success and without his guidance on XIV 1.0, i feel was one of the many reasons XIV tanked.

Lets be honest FinalFantasy was Sakaguchi's brainchild and I personally believe finalfantasy may never be finalfantasy again without its creator guiding it in the proper direction.

I honestly hope that someone some day can capture the same genious and save the series, I have some faith that maybe someone will step up and save it, maybe Hiroyuki Ito or Yoshinori Kitase, both great influences since they were in charge of finalfantasy VI which was the greatest finalfantasy game ever made. I also have faith in Kitase since he was in charge of finalfantasy VII, the 2nd greatest finalfantasy ever made, but even with all that said, without Hironobu Sakaguchi, Squeenix is still going to be crippled until the right man is found to take his place.

as far as I am concerned, no FinalFantasy game ever failed with Hironobu Sakaguchi involved in it or guiding it.

If you are implying that Square should develop future FF games to play more like the older ones, then there would be no point in making newer games in the first place. Perhaps gameplay styles will transfer over, which is always a good thing. Otherwise FF will be nothing but a series of copycat games like the New Super Mario Bros. series; fans constantly begged for a new game like Super Mario Bros. 3, and of course we were given that over and over again (I understand its for the sake of selling Mario to a younger and newer audience but it gets pretty annoying after a while). Don't get me wrong I loved the older FF games too (I still have them in my collection), its just that I believe there is a fine line between designing anything for the sake of appeasing veteran fans' nostalgia expectations and being flat out repetitive. I'm not necessarily implying that dramatically changing games is all that great either, instead there should be a better balance between old and new ideas like Metroid Prime. Like I said before Square has always produced FF and KH games that have newer gameplay styles and mechanics that established a game's identity and uniqueness. As I've already mentioned before, it seems Square is just juggling and altering ideas between KH and FF. My theory is that perhaps Square wants to make sure that they can perfect KH3 or any other future FF game in order to appeal to both the veteran fans and a new audience. In other words Square is trying to reinvent itself.

So my question to you is do you want a blatant copycat FF game or a newly designed FF game that challenges our expectations like the older ones did? Square is not the only Japanese developer/publisher that is painstakingly attempting to achieve this goal, you know.

destruction7
17th Apr 2013, 17:10
Are you sure about what are you talking because Square Enix is definitely trying innovates but in the wrong ways!.

member_10257555
17th Apr 2013, 19:14
At least we know they are trying (unlike Valve who can't count to 3 because their too busy counting all the money they constantly earn from Steam). For me I thought the Dissidia games were pretty innovative for a fighting game based on a JRPG series; it was a very perfect balance between Jrpg and fighting game elements. Like Smash Brothers, Dissidia was not only very challenging, but a character's moves and attributes are individualized rather than just flat out mimicking other characters (which is very common in DBZ games, Street Fighter, and Mortal Kombat; not that I have too much of a problem with it). Even FFXIII was very innovative and risky by getting rid of the option to explore in towns; in some since it feels more realistic if society wants you and your party dead. In other words its like X-Men, Lightning and friends were trying to save a world that FEARS AND HATES THEM. After going through the hell of dealing with stupid, suicidal, creepy and awkward staring, and sometimes unfairly and confusingly hostile Bethesda NPCs, not having the option to explore towns or interacting with NPCs was very heavenly for me. And lets not forget that my party members won't foolishly pick fights with deadly enemies (or NPCs associated with factions I wanted to remain neutral with, *cough*BOONE*cough*)that I am trying to peacefully avoid (or if they die or get KOed the bad guys will try hunting me down). And lets not forget the sui[s]ide missions that they make do (*cough*MOIRA*cough), Thanks Bethesda NPCs! The best they can do is go through trial and error until they get it right. At least every Square game I've owned so far does not have game breaking bugs. If that's not innovation for this generation in gaming then I don't know what is. Besides they can't necessarily rely on veteran sales forever, at some point they will have to make the effort to attract a new audience in order to secure a very prosperous financial future.

In an article I recently read an article by Keiji Inafune that was published in the McKinsey Quarterly about 2 years ago, Inafune thought modern Japanese games were not doing too well because of the seniority system in Japanese business. Bosses don't normally support new ideas if they are unsure if they are profitable, and if they don't support it than no one else will. Trying to go against the seniority system would be very difficult considering the Japanese Government and society has practiced for centuries. That's why we noticed a lot of modern Japanese games are undergoing this trend of change. Some more successful than others; lets hope that the successes keep on growing.

Gyro
17th Apr 2013, 19:23
Exactly. They tried to be innovative with something that was already perfect and ruined it.

FatSqueek
17th Apr 2013, 20:06
Name one bad game Valve has ever made. What's that? I'm sorry, it seems I can't hear you over the defeaning sound of their universal praise.

FatSqueek
17th Apr 2013, 20:23
Square Enix is a bum its fans are the enema.

shadowtiger24
17th Apr 2013, 20:37
i agree to i miss ff10 and ff7 they where the best

member_10257555
17th Apr 2013, 21:17
Name one bad game Valve has ever made. What's that? I'm sorry, it seems I can't hear you over the defeaning sound of their universal praise.

Relax, I didn't say Valve produced bad games, I was implying they were slow at releasing games that deserve sequels. Perhaps you need to listen turn the volume down on that universal praise to understand me better. I had Steam account as well, all I can say is that I was never meant to be a pc gamer. I'm way too used to home consoles (I pratically grew up with them).

SoulxCorruption
17th Apr 2013, 21:36
I think FFVII was the best out of all them, it had amazing characters with A+ life stories. The battles were passionate & difficult but not impossible(except for Sephiroth)... but hes a god so it makes sence. This game is truely a master piece! If they remastered this game I dont know how I would feel.. Of corse I would buy it again but hopefully they don't change too much to where it doesnt feel like the game I grew up on, or change the way characters act in anyway. However FFX & XIII came awfully close to the God status that is FFVIIhttp://na.square-enix.com/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-laughing.gif

member_10257555
17th Apr 2013, 21:40
I think FFVII was the best out of all them, it had amazing characters with A+ life stories. The battles were passionate & difficult but not impossible(except for Sephiroth)... but hes a god so it makes sence. This game is truely a master piece! If they remastered this game I dont know how I would feel.. Of corse I would buy it again but hopefully they don't change too much to where it doesnt feel like the game I grew up on, or change the way characters act in anyway. However FFX & XIII came awfully close to the God status that is FFVII

Considering that there was a lot of content that the ESRB may have ignored back in the day, we should hope it at least gets an M-rating. Either way I may just stick with my good old PS1 copy.

FatSqueek
17th Apr 2013, 21:42
Innovation for the sake of innovation is idiotic. Doesn't help that Toriyama is a hack writer who's several steps bellow a homebrewed D&D game.

member_10257555
17th Apr 2013, 21:47
Innovation for the sake of innovation is idiotic. Doesn't help that Toriyama is a hack writer who's several steps bellow a homebrewed D&D game.

You don't read too many Japanese stories do you? If you did you wouldn't be saying that now.

Mouse99
17th Apr 2013, 23:49
whats wrong with the newer FF titles? bad storyline?