PDA

View Full Version : Gay Final Fantasy Character?

VINCE12
27th Jun 2012, 23:43
In 2010, as one might recall, a rumor came forth that Noctis, the main protagonist in the upcoming game Final Fantasy Versus XIII, was gay. Those rumors however were soon quelled as they were unjustified and false. However, would such a character make a difference to the series? Mass Effect have successfully included gay romance options in their video game franchise, of course the move was controversial as some deemed it too risky and claimed that it would shed negative light on the franchise.

What is your take on this? Do you believe Final Fantasy should opt for a gay character? Would it be bad for the series to make it more ''gay-friendly''?
There are no right or wrong answers and no trolling, these are only discussions /tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-laughing.gif

member_10770952
27th Jun 2012, 23:49
no. no no NO!!! we don't need to add fuel to the fire. i'll admit it hasn't done well lately. but it just does'nt feel right. i can see it working good for mass effect snice it was made spcifcly for a mature audience but FF?? that's just not right.. suppose that was to happen it would really change the franchise.but for a more mature adudience. and it would lose it's younger fans. and on top of that.there you go. you have another mass effect or dragon age. we already have enough mature rpg's to go around. let's not change FF as well.

member_10822883
28th Jun 2012, 00:17
Noctis being gay would be awesome. I'd love to see how Square would handle and craft a character that wasn't heterosexual. Screw the audience that would have a problem with it.

Also, I'm not sure how having a gay character changes the franchise. I mean, it's not like there's anything concretely different between people of different sexual orientations. Similarly, I don't think a gay character necessitates a mature audience.

member_10770952
28th Jun 2012, 00:19
... a bad egg..

Persiangato
28th Jun 2012, 00:27
As long as it's tastefully done, and not "let's stop in the middle of an apocalypse to make out" like in M.I.T.H. or trying to hit every demographic at once like the teenaged Spiderman that's part Latino and African American and alleged to be gay.

If it's a well written character and story, sexual orientation is the last thing on my mind. BUT it does better shape them, and easier to relate too. I like how King writes giant backstories for all of his characters -- including the minor ones with a few lines. Not sure why the serial killers always end up liking redheads though.

member_10822883
28th Jun 2012, 00:29
That's my thing too, really. If seems pandering and out of place, there's no need to do anything. I'm just interested to see if Square could effectively pull off a well-written and believable character that's gay.

Gaialei_Strife
28th Jun 2012, 00:34
Yeah, if they want to put a gay person in there, more power to them... just don't make it pandering or super over the top....

...besides... with all the yaoi/ yuri shipping running rampant in the fandom.... do we really think putting a gay relationship as canon will change anything??

cky182dude
28th Jun 2012, 01:27
I'm not anti-gay or anything, but please don't ever make a main character gay. If you want to make a side character gay, go for it. But I agree with the post that said it could harm the franchise. When people play FF (at least me), I want to experience playing the role of a super-badass main character with a great story plot. I don't want to play the role of a gay badass because so far I've yet to meet a badass gay person and it just doesn't seem real to me. Not anti-gay, I know I might get a lot of hate for this, but let's just keep things the way they are as far as final fantasy goes. There hasn't been a gay character and there really shouldn't be one. I get that this is a fantasy world and ANYTHING is possible but come on people.... really? Can you actually perceive that outcome to be a good one? Seriously?

If you're gay, I don't mean to offend you. And I'm sure there are badass gays out there. I'm just saying... I would like FF to go back to it's roots of making awesome games with a great gameplay experience and that just would not do it for me, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Imagine if Cloud was gay. Or Squall. Even Tidus... It just wouldn't benefit the story, even if you change it around. People want good ol' fashioned Romance, if they want romance at all.

Azure
28th Jun 2012, 01:35
Yeah, if they want to put a gay person in there, more power to them... just don't make it pandering or super over the top....

...besides... with all the yaoi/ yuri shipping running rampant in the fandom.... do we really think putting a gay relationship as canon will change anything??

According to Toriko manga , The numbers of Fangay in japan is increased day by day so It may increase the sales

VINCE12
28th Jun 2012, 01:53
I'm not anti-gay or anything, but please don't ever make a main character gay. If you want to make a side character gay, go for it. But I agree with the post that said it could harm the franchise. When people play FF (at least me), I want to experience playing the role of a super-badass main character with a great story plot. I don't want to play the role of a gay badass because so far I've yet to meet a badass gay person and it just doesn't seem real to me. Not anti-gay, I know I might get a lot of hate for this, but let's just keep things the way they are as far as final fantasy goes. There hasn't been a gay character and there really shouldn't be one. I get that this is a fantasy world and ANYTHING is possible but come on people.... really? Can you actually perceive that outcome to be a good one? Seriously?

If you're gay, I don't mean to offend you. And I'm sure there are badass gays out there. I'm just saying... I would like FF to go back to it's roots of making awesome games with a great gameplay experience and that just would not do it for me, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Imagine if Cloud was gay. Or Squall. Even Tidus... It just wouldn't benefit the story, even if you change it around. People want good ol' fashioned Romance, if they want romance at all.

First, I'm not gay, but hey, if I was, there is nothing wrong to it. My gay friend brought the subject up and thought it was an interesting one to post. I don't agree with some of your thoughts however. Claiming that you don't want to play a gay badass character is in a sense homophobic but I am sure its bad wording on your end as you have clearly stated that you are not anti-gay. Furthermore, saying that there shouldn't be a gay character is harsh as well. Despite this, I agree that it would be a major departure for the franchise and that a gay side character at the moment, would be the best option for SE to remain 'neutral'.

Sefyre
28th Jun 2012, 02:15
... Is it the idea of having a gay character that bothers people or is it the possibility of having to role play out a character who is gay and having to pursue a romantic interest in-game that bothers people?

Because if you take out the romance, when and how and why would the main character's sexuality ever become a matter to bother with otherwise when they have much bigger fish to fry such as a world that needs saving?

There ARE gay people in Real Life and in positions of authority, power, what-have-you who ARE BADASS and who ARE heroes. Just because they don't scream it from a building at the top of their lungs that they are gay doesn't mean they don't exist and just because their sexuality is known doesn't mean that the things they have done are discounted in comparison to the things heterosexuals have done.

Being gay doesn't = a gigantic red stamp on the forehead which says, "I'M FLAMING GAY - EVERYTHING I DO AND EVERYTHING ABOUT ME SCREAMS OUT LOUD MY SEXUAL ORIENTATION AND MAKES ME RATED R!" Stereotyping and people playing out stereotypes encourages that line of thought, but that isn't the actual -TRUTH- when you look at the whole picture.

Just because a character is conceptualized to be gay in their orientation doesn't mean that EVERYTHING about them revolves/has to revolve around them being gay, you know, and a character being gay doesn't automatically = PG-13+ unless the game creators and the players themselves decide to make it into a PG-13+ issue.

member_10822883
28th Jun 2012, 02:40
... Is it the idea of having a gay character that bothers people or is it the possibility of having to role play out a character who is gay and having to pursue a romantic interest in-game that bothers people?

Because if you take out the romance, when and how and why would the main character's sexuality ever become a matter to bother with otherwise when they have much bigger fish to fry such as a world that needs saving?

There ARE gay people in Real Life and in positions of authority, power, what-have-you who ARE BADASS and who ARE heroes. Just because they don't scream it from a building at the top of their lungs that they are gay doesn't mean they don't exist and just because their sexuality is known doesn't mean that the things they have done are discounted in comparison to the things heterosexuals have done.

Being gay doesn't = a gigantic red stamp on the forehead which says, "I'M FLAMING GAY - EVERYTHING I DO AND EVERYTHING ABOUT ME SCREAMS OUT LOUD MY SEXUAL ORIENTATION AND MAKES ME RATED R!" Stereotyping and people playing out stereotypes encourages that line of thought, but that isn't the actual -TRUTH- when you look at the whole picture.

Just because a character is conceptualized to be gay in their orientation doesn't mean that EVERYTHING about them revolves/has to revolve around them being gay, you know, and a character being gay doesn't automatically = PG-13+ unless the game creators and the players themselves decide to make it into a PG-13+ issue.

Absolutely agree.

member_10825239
28th Jun 2012, 04:56
I'm neither gay nor am i anti-gay, but from an rpg point of veiw a homosexual character at any level would be an interesting twist to take.

But if final fantasy did create a gay character they wouldn't be the first one by a long shot. After all microsoft's series Fable has given that option since the very first game and it was made back when being gay was compleatly unacceptable. One of the antagonists in fable 2 & 3 , reaver, is openly gay on camera after all.

Probably going to get some hate for this post but fair warrning, I don't read hate mail even when I do get it.

member_10829610
28th Jun 2012, 06:09
Noctis being gay would be interesting since he shows all types of badassery in the trailers.

member_10244595
28th Jun 2012, 08:53
don't yall remember Venn from FF12 he was closet gay.

BluMiu
28th Jun 2012, 09:43
I believe it would be too much for SE to attempt at a time like this, they don't need to push boundaries to include a fanbase of a different sexual orientation. Characters in the series are adrygenous in their design nearly and thus why it has a large hetero/bi/gay fans as it is. And to tell a good story, they would have to include something as new as a homosexual main character, it wouldn't make sense to just say "he is gay" and say nothing else for it. Wars or certain destruction have not stopped FF characters from making out before ^_^ Persona 4 touched on it already with one of its characters, but he was no more 'homosexual' than he was 'iffiminate'. He seemed more like he was a crossdresser than gay and presented in that light.

As for Mass Effect and its sexuality...trashy when it came to promiscuity (IMO) and only good homosexual relationship was with the one character in 3 who lost his lover. That was realistic, but Shepard just came of as a whore with being able to sleep with multiple people! XD But I digress...With Japanese culture, though it is prominent with yaoi fanbases, you also have to consider the negative side it has shown on it with popular gay relationships with older men and underage boys. Not that FF creators would do that, but I don't think they want the franchise that steeped in pop culture. SE Europe subtetly added an incest relationship in Drakenguard and that turned a lot of people I know of when they discovered it.

I guess I'm trying to say it would work for their more mature titles, just not Final Fantasy. It has always been light on blood and other material, and loved despite sexual orientation of characters. It would add a new take on things to explore, but it would be hinted at or not stated. The Japanse has androgyny and gay community, but it is still taboo as a whole, so I don't think they will be going that route too soon or with FF.

MagiusNecros
28th Jun 2012, 10:54
GILGAMESH is probably bi. Cuz you know Enkidu.

cky182dude
28th Jun 2012, 14:21
I knew I would get people jumping down my throat for my comment on this. I'm not homophobic, I have gay friends. And to the guy who asked if the problem was role playing a gay man with a love interest of another male. I'd have to say that's probably what turns me off from having them make a gay main character. That's actually probably the MAIN reason why I wouldn't even buy it. I'm not gay, I don't like guys, and I wouldn't want to play a dude who falls in love with another man and pursues that in-game. I agree, there are badass gays out there, I just haven't actually met one. Is all that I was stating. I'm not thinking the main character is going to be flaming or any of that stuff. It's just that when I play a Final Fantasy game, I try to put myself in their shoes, and it just wouldn't work with me. It's not going to ruin the story for me or anything, I just wouldn't personally like that.

Everyone has their right to an opinion, and this is mine. If they decide to actually make a character gay, they should just make Noctis gay. He may be able to pull it off.

And as for the Venn FFXII closet-gay comment, that made me lol.

member_10827409
28th Jun 2012, 14:33

new_tradition
28th Jun 2012, 14:33
Gay or not, as long as the character is done well, then I'm good. I think that if the company does choose to have gay characters, or the main romance being a gay one, there shouldn't emphasis on the fact that it's, you know, gay. Just treat it with the same normalcy as a hetero pairing, and just focus on the same progression as any other pairing in the past games.

I mean, these FF universes are so different from ours-why should there be such a big deal in the game's context that the love interest of the main character is the same gender? That there's a same-sex pairings in the game at all?

Though I agree with others. More than likely, characters or even possible pairings will just be left ambiguous. I mean, I heard people saying Lightning is gay because she has no love interest. Really?

If that's all it takes to decide sexuality in a game, then they should remove the phrase "I love you" and any scenes of kissing in games, because all we need is ambiguous dialog and a couple of scenes of too much touching that will be enough for anyone to interpret things, lol.

(and then start huge flame wars about love triangles/pentagons that I admit I laugh over, fufufu...)

member_10813590
28th Jun 2012, 14:42
No no no no no no gay guys or gay girls that would ruin everything and plus if you want that your either bi or gay or pevert

member_10628951
28th Jun 2012, 14:44
I have a question, why is this even an issue or a question?

This is Final Fantasy we are talking about. How many times do characters talk about their sexual orientation or show it. The only time they do is when it best services the story ex: Final Fantasy VII, VIII and X.

I hope Noctis isn't gay because then the whole Stella as an important character thing would be pointless. I wa under the impression that they would develop a relationship.

I'm not pro or anti gay but I do not see why this is an issue. If it doesn't serve the overall story than why include it?

Final Fantasy was never made to make political statements or be politically correct.

member_10813590
28th Jun 2012, 15:00
Just saying this right now square enix has done gay work before from what I know never seen it though or read but still if you want gay read those Final Fantasy should stay in the stright or bi zone

Kuja9001
28th Jun 2012, 17:25
We already got one, sephiroth his obssession with cloud gets him killed.

Hala
28th Jun 2012, 19:15

…………Exactly what I wanted to say......I mean ……forget it………

new_tradition
28th Jun 2012, 20:15
We already got one, sephiroth his obssession with cloud gets him killed.

Just as an aside to this...

I always assumed it was Cloud who was semi-obsessive with Sephiroth for the most part. He's always the one talking about Sephriroth. To me, it seemed like Sephiroth thought Cloud was no one to him, just some foot soldier that couldn't make the cut but happened to be the guy to toss him into Mako after his mental breakdown. It's only in the movie do we see some actual dialog between them, but even that doesn't really indicate Sephritoh's obsession for Cloud. He taunts him, sure, but I think it could have been any other character and he would've treated them the same. I could imagine if Sephiroth and Vincent faced off, there'd be MAJOR emotional tension there xD

Sephiroth getting obsessed over Zack it more likely due to his relationship with Angeal, but even then, Sephiroth obsessing over anyone but his not-mommy is a tad OOC, lol

If I was to pick at ambiguous male-male relationships, I look at FFVIII's Squall and Seifer. Regardless of the fact Rinoa and Squall hook up, it's kind of implied Seifer's the only one that sort of "got" Squall in the beginning, plus Seifer confides in Squall quite a bit. Then there's the matching scars, both young men using the same weapon, and the implication they trained together when Squall starts off as a loner, and Seifer's kind of a ****...In another universe, it could add up xD

You know, now that I think about it, it's really easy to twist male relationships to make it seem more than what it is. The only female/female pairing I can think of is Fang/Vanille, but I can understand it being more along the lines of sisterhood (and not because they have the same last name; I assume the whole tribe shared the same name without blood relations)

Once again, it all comes down to fan interpretation.

...Oh whoa, really went off topic, lol. My bad.

member_10822883
28th Jun 2012, 20:25
No no no no no no gay guys or gay girls that would ruin everything and plus if you want that your either bi or gay or pevert

Care to extrapolate on how that woud ruin everything? Digging your label-dropping in the latter half of your post, by the way. That's effective argumentation.

member_10813590
28th Jun 2012, 20:49
Because kids play final fantasy and ever since the begin of final fantasy characters aways had a boy and girl thing going on. And no taking this hard but I hate gay couples and so do alot of other people square enix would lose alot of fans ( mostly from moms and dads not allowing there kids to see that ). And if they did do that they would feed off lesbain/yuri ones because there are really guys who just bought mass effect for that and there are alot of guy peverts who will buy that. I mean they did that with dragon age and again what I said played in effect to that.

Just to end it plain and simple people who hate gays like me will never buy it and will just leave square enix if they start doing gay in final fantasy.

member_10822883
28th Jun 2012, 20:54
Nice.

member_10813590
28th Jun 2012, 20:55
Nice for what ? And thank you

member_10827409
28th Jun 2012, 21:15

…………Exactly what I wanted to say......I mean ……forget it………

^^

Sefyre
29th Jun 2012, 02:24
In spite of all of the arguments against gay characters in which many are talking about things like how gay characters don't belong in games that are directed towards a 'younger' audience rather than a more mature one...

People are cool with magic (ALL of the FF stories) and storylines involving things like: mind control and related manipulation (FFVII, FFVIII), someone torching a village and about to destroy an entire Planet (FFVII), being enslaved to magic and magical beings and fighting for redemption or risk facing a sentence worse than death (FFXIII), 'children' killing or having to kill their own 'parents' and/or parental figures/guardians (FFVII - Crisis Core, FFVIII), crazy scientists who perform abominably unethical experiments on live people and on unborn fetuses (FFVII), having to infiltrate a whore house (FFVII)... etc.

Quite frankly speaking, NONE of -THOSE- plotline and storyline situations save for 'magic' (in a broad sense) sound like they are situations geared towards a younger audience... and yet each and every one mentioned (and ones unmentioned) has appeared very prominently in the FF games and I don't hear anyone complaining about it. In fact, what is heard most is how great a lot of these FF storylines are that involve those plotpoints.

So, please.

If you're going to argue about the whole 'it isn't for the kids' bit, realize that there are plenty of plot points in all of the FF stories that would not traditionally be geared towards younger crowds (Disney wanted to down-rate KH's rating as it was and remove actual gun/firearms references and drinking references, etc if anyone recalls) as it is.

Unless of course, you want to say and are trying to say that having a character who is gay and whose 'gayness' is NOT going to be the highlight of the game is WORSE or is going to be worse than any of those plot points mentioned above.

member_10751449
29th Jun 2012, 10:30
Some of the comments on here are disappointing and people need to smarten up, but there are some good ones on here. I'm going to keep it simple and leave the rant of wall out. Who cares? Gay doesn't equal a age audience, gay shouldn't equal politics, and this goes for any other taboo in our game industry (blacks, females, etc...). There is no need to exclude and limit things in a art form and entertainment medium. Unless to obtain more money, present a challenge, gain more fame, increase the effectiveness of project, send out a message, pressure from others, lack resources, or/and be flat out ignorant. Obvsioulsy, some reasons can end up being more negative than positive.

Choose wisely Square Enix ;)

member_10829610
29th Jun 2012, 13:27
I agree.

I think SE will not put in gay characters because it might produce negative feedback from the overall audience.

Castiel
1st Jul 2012, 18:15
Honestly, all the characters they have created have androgynous appearances as it is (in my opinion) so I don't see how it would matter. Personality wise, SE is really good at differentiating between the men and the women so I'm kinda surprised this is an issue all of a sudden. Then again, Belzeber from Star Ocean: Till the End of Time did have me wondering....

member_10077577
1st Jul 2012, 18:31
Since the game is "rumored" to have real-time events that in which the player can choose his decision, I'd figure that Noctis could be....bisexual? Just an opinion. Square Enix could go the ways of Mass Effect and Dragon Age and do that. That way, it won't have to appeal to just the gaymers (gay gamers).

Castiel
1st Jul 2012, 22:55
Since the game is "rumored" to have real-time events that in which the player can choose his decision, I'd figure that Noctis could be....bisexual? Just an opinion. Square Enix could go the ways of Mass Effect and Dragon Age and do that. That way, it won't have to appeal to just the gaymers (gay gamers).

"Gaymers". I like that.

new_tradition
1st Jul 2012, 23:34
Honestly, all the characters they have created have androgynous appearances as it is (in my opinion) so I don't see how it would matter.

Eh, I don't think appearances should matter much when it comes to a character's sexuality.

I mean, the closest character I can think of that it might relate to is Kaine from NieR who was a hermaphrodite, and part of her back story was that her village was superstitious of "abnormalities" and the prejudice passed onto the children who cruelly bullied her for her androgynous appearance. But as far as I know, she was still attracted to men and identified as a woman.

However, I won't deny both Amano and Nomura (heck, even Yoshida at times) tend to draw really pretty male characters, lol.

RoyalJam
2nd Jul 2012, 16:27
I knew I would get people jumping down my throat for my comment on this. I'm not homophobic, I have gay friends. And to the guy who asked if the problem was role playing a gay man with a love interest of another male. I'd have to say that's probably what turns me off from having them make a gay main character. That's actually probably the MAIN reason why I wouldn't even buy it. I'm not gay, I don't like guys, and I wouldn't want to play a dude who falls in love with another man and pursues that in-game. I agree, there are badass gays out there, I just haven't actually met one. Is all that I was stating. I'm not thinking the main character is going to be flaming or any of that stuff. It's just that when I play a Final Fantasy game, I try to put myself in their shoes, and it just wouldn't work with me. It's not going to ruin the story for me or anything, I just wouldn't personally like that.

Everyone has their right to an opinion, and this is mine. If they decide to actually make a character gay, they should just make Noctis gay. He may be able to pull it off.

And as for the Venn FFXII closet-gay comment, that made me lol.

I know what you mean. Let's be honest here people, the main character mostly has a guys want to be him and girls want to be with him vibe. Having the main character being gay is just not cool. Screw the PC Police, come on, come lock me up for hate speech. I'm just saying what is on most people's minds.

RoyalJam
2nd Jul 2012, 16:28

LOL, I highly doubt Nomura will give you the option of kissing Stella or Ignis.

Ksquall
3rd Jul 2012, 23:23
I'm not really going to offer much opinion on this subject. Personally, I don't think that Square would risk something like that at this time. If this thread shows anything, it's that the opinions are divided on the subject and I imagine that's how many of the other fans will be as well.

adin_hughes
10th Jul 2012, 14:51
Gay is still an issue? How sad! Have a gay side character - they can't have the spotlight (sarcasism btw!). Other characters werent/couldnt be gay cause they were not written that way. Now...how many "gays" in real life are your idols who refuse to come out? Read a gay magazone sometime and you will be shocked at how many are not "Adam Lambert - so what" gay people. Final Fantasy has destroyed dictators, religions, and races in thier stories. This is a GAME!! remember that next time your own "feeliings" are being influenced by a STORY.

Summoner
11th Jul 2012, 07:29
I have to say that I grew up with Final Fantasy, I am gay and I always was curious to why all of the characters in the stories were always straight, I did feel like some of the characters were like Kuja (FFIX) was. I really don't see how a gay main character would/could ruin Square at all, I mean that straight people playing a straight guy but don't want to play as a gay guy cause they don't want to fall in love with another man or cause gay heroes can't be awesome and save the world, well why not? I mean I play as 'straight' main characters before and I just look past that sort of thing cause I really love the gameplay and ignore the straight aspect of it, I was upset in FFVII when Aeris died, cause I knew Cloud had feelings for her, I was upset for Squall in FFVIII during the space scene where you're trying to get Rinoa as your oxygen was depleting and thinking that she could die. I'm just saying, gay audiences have played Final Fantasy dealing with straight heroes, but some of you straight people think it's perverted and go into rage and quit if they decided to make the hero gay. Just keep an open mind.

member_10106331
18th Jul 2012, 19:34
What's the deal anyway?I thought that there were GAY characters in FINAL FANTASY.Look at KUJA,SEYMOUR(guess that's his name from FFX) some of these guys seem pretty gay to me,and could kick major BOOTY.Reason why a STRAIGHT guy would'nt want to play as a GAY character is because it goes against all that he is.Like some guys don't like much to play as women characters due to the lack of strength they possess.As an LIGHT SKINNED african-american male I would love to see a black guy in a game that's not so dark.All black people are not all dark complected,but hey at least we're represented.What i'm saying is GAY or STRAIGHT,these are only video games don't throw politics in it.Be happy they have fem-type guys in them like KUJA and some others,oh and VAN from FFX he's a main character and he looks FEMININE to me.Whattaya know I like a gay looking character,but he'll never replace my beautiful wife.

member_10628951
18th Jul 2012, 19:41
What's the deal anyway?I thought that there were GAY characters in FINAL FANTASY.Look at KUJA,SEYMOUR(guess that's his name from FFX) some of these guys seem pretty gay to me,and could kick major BOOTY.Reason why a STRAIGHT guy would'nt want to play as a GAY character is because it goes against all that he is.Like some guys don't like much to play as women characters due to the lack of strength they possess.As an LIGHT SKINNED african-american male I would love to see a black guy in a game that's not so dark.All black people are not all dark complected,but hey at least we're represented.What i'm saying is GAY or STRAIGHT,these are only video games don't throw politics in it.Be happy they have fem-type guys in them like KUJA and some others,oh and VAN from FFX he's a main character and he looks FEMININE to me.Whattaya know I like a gay looking character,but he'll never replace my beautiful wife.

This. I dont understand why people are trying to push these things into entertainment. If it serves the story then whatever but if it doesnt than dont. I dont understand why that is so hard for people to understand.

member_10328220
18th Jul 2012, 19:42
Doesn't anyone here remember they already had Mukki from FFVII?

RoyalJam
18th Jul 2012, 19:48

I don't believe any of the characters you listed are gay. I don't believe they should ever make a gay character just for the sake of it either.

member_10106331
18th Jul 2012, 20:24

I don't believe any of the characters you listed are gay. I don't believe they should ever make a gay character just for the sake of it either.

Never said they should make one just to satisfy a group of people,but even you have to admit,some of these characters do look like they're prettier than the prettiest female.And let me re-phrase what I was trying to convey.They're not gay,but their actions don't scream MANLY BEHAVIOR either.

Crow
18th Jul 2012, 21:05
Hell NO! I would never play, recommend, consider, or enjoy playing a game where the main character was gay! It's bad enough with the gym in 7 and the dollet bar in 8 with that guy, but an actual main character who was gay in FF would be outrageous!

member_10077577
19th Jul 2012, 19:54
Not to hate on homosexual people, but I wouldn't think that making the main character of a game gay would help a company a lot. Most people would think that it would be targeted towards homosexuals, or being an idea to support homosexuality.

Most people, though, might not object to a gay or lesbian supporting character. That's what makes things interesting.

CephasType3
19th Jul 2012, 20:05
Well im not sure if Square tried already.... but it seems like maybe Fang and Vanille had a romanctic relationship, i mean cant remember any clear reference to this being true, but it seemed at least plausible to me.

member_10084729
20th Jul 2012, 05:12
So... What exactly is the issue? I mean, I just don't see it as a problem. Whether it is fact or mere 'rumor' (which is speculation but shouldn't matter), it can't always be copy/paste. Anything can be done in fiction, and that is how it should be.

member_10078668
20th Jul 2012, 15:45
A lot of people say Final Fantasy men look gay anyhow so I don't see how actually making them gay is such an issue. There's always been YAOI fans regardless of the characters' actual sexual orientation.

Doesn't anyone here remember they already had Mukki from FFVII?

But he's a side character that you don't even encounter if you ignore the Honeybee Inn part of the game. What people are more concerned about is making a main character gay.

Well im not sure if Square tried already.... but it seems like maybe Fang and Vanille had a romanctic relationship, i mean cant remember any clear reference to this being true, but it seemed at least plausible to me.

It's a double standard. If there's lesbianism in the game, of course most people won't have a problem with it. But when gay is involved, everyone is up in arms about it.

member_10077577
20th Jul 2012, 15:48
It's a double standard. If there's lesbianism in the game, of course most people won't have a problem with it. But when gay is involved, everyone is up in arms about it.

So you're saying that people wouldn't mind girls showing affection but would mind boys showing affection?

member_10078668
20th Jul 2012, 16:02
So you're saying that people wouldn't mind girls showing affection but would mind boys showing affection?

That's what I've always noticed.

member_10077577
20th Jul 2012, 16:19

That's what I've always noticed.

That does make some sense. The homosexuality issue has been mostly targeted towards gay men.

member_10078668
20th Jul 2012, 16:36
That does make some sense. The homosexuality issue has been mostly targeted towards gay men.

It's been like that in every sector of the entertainment industry (movies, animation, video games) for as long as I can recall. I took a class about masculity in media back in college and there was many discussions made on why it's acceptable for women to be affectionate to each other but not for men. It all boiled down to primal instincts: men and masculinity must have dominance over women and femininty and having two men be affectionate shows neutral dominance so people are more taken aback by it when it is done by men. Interestingly enough, in nature animals display homosexualism and transexualism behaviors as survival instincts when the male to female ratio is out of balance. So ironically we as humans rejecting such notions goes against the natural order.

member_10022778
20th Jul 2012, 18:05
As long as it's done tastefullly, I would love it. BioWare managed to do it fairly successfully with Mass Effect, and I have no doubt that Square Enix could do it in a Final Fantasy game. As long as they keep in mind that gay relationships are no different from straight ones (In reality, they're more difficult sadly, due to bigots and close-minded individuals), they should be able to pull it off.

Come on, Square Enix. Give me someone I can relate to even more. You've had plenty of heterosexual characters in the past, give us homosexuals some love. :P

member_10475073
20th Jul 2012, 20:26

Whether you meant it or not, I was offended reading this. Let me start off by saying this: I'm gay and I'm BADASS! I'm real, too...

Ok so lets go down the list:

1)So only side characters should be gay? So they should just add a Token character? Oh, sure, us gays will just be second-best (as usual).

2)Harm the franchise? People can just play other Final Fantasy games (old and upcoming) which don't feature gay characters. And if they're unwilling to play ANY more FF games because Square-Enix made a gay character in one game? That would be pathetic if someone were that intolerant, but I doubt a large enough group of players out there are like that, so Square-Enix most likely has nothing to worry about monetarily.

3)Cloud cross-dressed (not saying he was gay, but for a moment in the game he was a transvestite, even if it was a joke)

4)Most importantly, is it "good ol' fashion romance" as opposed to "bad homosexual romance"? So perhaps seeing two people of the same sex holding hands or maybe even kissing (only pecks, no sloppy Frenching) would disgust people. Some people are still disgusted by interracial romantic displays of affection. Get over it.

I feel this whole discussion should focus less on a potential character's sexual orientation (since the Final Fantasy Series has, and I'm pretty sure, never will go past pecks and hand holding into sexual content)

I believe this discussion has more to do with people's views on gender roles (which has nothing to do with physical sex). I'd prefer to discuss "effeminate" male or "masculine" female characters, and how those dynamics could enhance (or take away from) FF gameplay. Of course these kind of characters wouldn't take away from the game at all for me.

By the way, femininity can be pretty badass. If you think only masculine characters are, that's very unfortunate. And you cross territory into misogyny, which may be a sign that you yourself could very likely be...

member_10080397
20th Jul 2012, 20:48
@OP

Sexual orientation and the controversy surrounding it is irrelevant and shouldn't be an issue when developing a game. If that's the way the writers intend for the story to unfold: So be it. As long as it doesn't have an absurdly over-hyped, sexually tense overtone like XIII I don't care. I'd rather see Vs. XIII come out before ANOTHER XIII installment. Toriyama ruined Final Fantasy for me, and the only hope it seems is to let Nomura take the reigns. He deserves it, after all. Kingdom Hearts is a prime example of why he needs to be in charge, not that idiot who insists on trying to turn an RPG into an FPS.

DerekMaverick
20th Jul 2012, 21:15
I wouldn't mind it. I'm kinda getting sick of seeing Heterosexuals all the time. Snow and Serah, Cloud and Aeris, Squall and Rinoa, Tidus and Yuna, Cecil and Rosa. I just want diversity. And in XIII I got the impression that Lightning and Fang had something going on(Vanille and Fang felt more like Big sister, Little sister). So more power to Square if they do, no big deal if they don't.

cky182dude
20th Jul 2012, 22:16

Whether you meant it or not, I was offended reading this. Let me start off by saying this: I'm gay and I'm BADASS! I'm real, too...

Ok so lets go down the list:

1)So only side characters should be gay? So they should just add a Token character? Oh, sure, us gays will just be second-best (as usual).

2)Harm the franchise? People can just play other Final Fantasy games (old and upcoming) which don't feature gay characters. And if they're unwilling to play ANY more FF games because Square-Enix made a gay character in one game? That would be pathetic if someone were that intolerant, but I doubt a large enough group of players out there are like that, so Square-Enix most likely has nothing to worry about monetarily.

3)Cloud cross-dressed (not saying he was gay, but for a moment in the game he was a transvestite, even if it was a joke)

4)Most importantly, is it "good ol' fashion romance" as opposed to "bad homosexual romance"? So perhaps seeing two people of the same sex holding hands or maybe even kissing (only pecks, no sloppy Frenching) would disgust people. Some people are still disgusted by interracial romantic displays of affection. Get over it.

I feel this whole discussion should focus less on a potential character's sexual orientation (since the Final Fantasy Series has, and I'm pretty sure, never will go past pecks and hand holding into sexual content)

I believe this discussion has more to do with people's views on gender roles (which has nothing to do with physical sex). I'd prefer to discuss "effeminate" male or "masculine" female characters, and how those dynamics could enhance (or take away from) FF gameplay. Of course these kind of characters wouldn't take away from the game at all for me.

By the way, femininity can be pretty badass. If you think only masculine characters are, that's very unfortunate. And you cross territory into misogyny, which may be a sign that you yourself could very likely be...

First off. I really didn't mean to offend anyone, and if I offended you I'm sorry about that, but that was my honest opinion. I'm not going to lie about how I feel about a certain subject or try to damper what I'm saying to make you happy or feel less offended about it.

I feel that a gay character, I would never play as, I would never buy that game, and I wouldn't enjoy it. If it's done well, maybe I would. But from my own thoughts in my head right now, I just wouldn't. Every time I play a final fantasy game, I do it as if I'm role playing as I play. I like to imagine myself in those specific situations. I don't want to imagine myself as a gay character or even play as one. I don't. If you had to choice to pick at the start of a game to be either gay or straight, I'd always go with the straight option, because I'm straight. That's just the way it is.

Make a gay final fantasy character. I just won't buy the game, because I don't want to play that out. It doesn't interest me in anyway whatsoever.

When I was in highschool we had this thing called opposite sex day, and guys basically dress like girls, with dresses and make up and everything. I dressed up myself cause it was funny and everyone was doing it. When Cloud did it in FF7 I knew it was for the sole reason of sneaking in there to complete the mission, not because he wanted to. Which he didn't. And even if he did, Oh well, Cloud was a badass and obviously had feelings for Aeris.

Same reason why I never read those gay mangas about straight characters hooking up with or secretly loving another straight character. It's a gay fantasy, for gay men or women. I'm neither of the two and would never read or bother with any of that stuff.

I'm not saying I hate gays, or that I dislike them. I have many gay friends as I stated before. If you took offense to my comment, oh well. I really don't care for it's my personal opinion. I'm not hating on gays just stating how I feel about it.

member_10431609
20th Jul 2012, 22:20
I think i'd be interesting if we we're given the option to pursue a gay OR straight relationship. I say let the player decide what the protag's orientation is so if you're straight, you pursue that option. If you're gay, you go for that option. Have a thing for Bangaas? Go for it! No need to limit anyone and everyone's happy.

cky182dude
20th Jul 2012, 22:21
Coeurl, I completely agree. That way people won't get so butt hurt about it. (no pun intended)

new_tradition
20th Jul 2012, 22:55
Reading this thread and seeing arguments against gay characters, I can safely say, yep, I still don't get the objections.

I don't see how playing a gay character is a bad thing. I mean, I'm a girl and I've played so many games with a a MALE protagonist and didn't get bugged by it. Sure it was a little strange seeing from a male's POV an attraction to the heroine, but if girls could overcome that, I don't know why playing a gay male character would be a hardship for anyone :/

I mean, are people so completely bothered by a gay lead, or a MALE gay lead? Is it okay if the lead was female and attracted to other females? Had a female love interest? >_>

But if that was the case, I wouldn't be bothered by that either...

And anyways, this is Final Fantasy we're talking about. The most graphic thing we might ever see is a amazingly well choreographed make out session underwater ala FFX, lol. After that, maybe a kiss, but on-screen kisses throughout the series are few anyways. Embraces and a couple of I-love-yous seem the most likely thing.

If it's just seeing the male lead getting emotional and therefore emasculated, then I don't buy that argument either. We've seen the male leads get emotional plenty of times. What's the difference about the hero crying over his girl instead of his guy, huh?

member_10492648
20th Jul 2012, 22:58
There may very well be a bisexual character in a Final Fantasy game already! Anyone remember when Cloud dressed up as a chick to get into the mansion? Don't defend his actions, we all saw him do it! (And if you haven't, check out the bedroom scene with Don Corneo and Cloud's options with him on Youtube).

All jokes aside, I'm all about human rights and gay/bi/transgender equality. However, it seems that anything regarding LGBT instantly becomes the agenda for all parties involved, as it has been for Bioware and a few of their games. Therefore, it wouldn't make sense from a business standpoint to create a gay main character; it would likely not be received well by most consumers (which are straight). It sounds silly but it's the truth. And I wish it wasn't.

I'm happy with the sexual orientation options in both Dragon Age and Mass Effect, and if Square Enix decides to jump on board with creating an openly gay character, it would make this fan pretty excited (so long as they do not unfairly sterotype the character).

cky182dude
21st Jul 2012, 01:23
I've played as female characters in the past. Including in FFXIII and Parasite Eve. I don't mind playing a woman... so to be completely honest I don't understand why I mind playing a gay character. I just don't THINK it would feel right. I said THINK because I don't know how it would be, I've never played a gay character in a video game. I just don't see myself doing it.

If the game is awesome, and turns out to be the best final fantasy title of all time, then I'd give it a shot. Hell, it might even become my favorite FF title. But like I said before... I'm thinking that I wouldn't enjoy it or even want to purchase it. Just my opinion. I'm still open for it, I'm a very open minded person, it's just weird. As I stated before, I don't read or have ever been interested in any of the gay media out there. I haven't even seen brokeback mountain because it just doesn't interest me, because I'm not gay. I'm not saying everyone who watched that movie is gay or anything, but it doesn't interest me. That's pretty much it. If you don't find something interesting why bother with it?

If they ever decide to actually do this, hopefully it blows my mind and it's an awesome game. I'll definitely play it then. It's about the quality and as long as it's tastefully done.

member_10635673
21st Jul 2012, 02:22
Does it matter if that character is gay? No.
Does it matter if the character fits the role? Yes.
The biggest problem I had with Vaan as the main character of FFXII, was that he didn't quite fit the protagonist role. Now before you get any ideas, I'm not implying he's gay, I'm implying he's a bad character.
I've only played a small part of FFXII, up to the point where you first reach the Vierra Village. And during this time, I couldn't understand Vaan's intentions. Yes he wants to be a Sky Pirate like Balthier, yes he wanted to kill Basch because he though Basch killed his brother, but why should I care about that? I didn't see much emotion out of his character other than rage at Basch, puppy dog admiration for Balthier, and sheer stupidity when inquiring about women or going around town claiming he's a dead war criminal. He could have been a chocobo (if anything to improve his usefulness) and I might've enjoyed the game more.
But before I get too off topic, the point I'm trying to bring up is that the character must fit the plot. Cloud had Sephiroth as a target of revenge, Sephiroth being the overlying villian of the game. Terra had Kefka, who had manipulated her, The Warriors of Light had their prophecy, and Tidus had his father. Vaan's only real focus was Gabranth, who was never really a bad guy, he just had an irrational hatred for his twin.
If a character were to be gay in a Final Fantasy game, it probably wouldn't work any different than any of the examples above. The character will need a reason, a focus, to save the world. Saving the world is always the recurring theme in Final Fantasy, and it should stay that way. A small part confronting a character's inner demons isn't bad (Cloud's subconscious comes to mind), but it should not be the focus of the game and take hours for the character to overcome. The protagonist is not the plot and the plot is not the character, but must go hand in hand with each other.
Worst case scenario, the entire game is about the protagonist being gay and wallowing in self pity because they aren't accepted by society. If the entire game were to focus on that I might as well read it in a novel. Or burn it. Now if the protagonist suddenly found themselves yearning for a same-sex party member during a portion in the middle of the game, I wouldn't mind that, regardless of rejection or acceptance. It's only a small part of the overarching plot, and it should stay that way.

Square-Enix has had gay themes in their games before:
Final Fantasy VII
-Cloud crossdressing miniquest
-Mukki (Homosexual bodybuilder in Honeybee Inn)
-Barret Date Scene (Maybe not complete homosexual, but definite bromance going on)
Final Fantasy VIII
-Transvestite NPC (Squall has the option of asking if he is really a woman)
Final Fantasy XIII
-Fang and Vanille (don't tell me they're just close friends, I know implications when I see them)

Maybe it's time Square made a main character with a different sexuality.
Or one that doesn't look Japanese.

member_10351528
21st Jul 2012, 03:09
...wow.

As a gay FF fan i can just call bs on all arguments against having a lead in such way. Why? Just freaking look at the track record from SE. I play their games not for the gameplay, but for the story line. Why is that? If you honestly have to ask that questions just give up and leave the conversation. The story telling, the compelling characters are what draw us in. Now here are some questions and answers:

Does it bother me that there have not been in gay lead characters? Not really.

Would i like a gay lead character? Of course.

Do i think SE could pull off a game with a gay lead character? Yes and well done.

Would a lead with a gay character hurt the series? Highly doubt it.

Now to further illustrate my point lets take this same questions of previous concerns and lets switch one word to illustrate the how silly this problem is.

Does it bother me that there have not been in female lead characters? Not really.

Would i like a female lead character? Of course.

Do i think SE could pull off a game with a female lead character? Yes and well done.

Would a lead with a female character hurt the series? Highly doubt it.

Years ago it would have been a concern of gender not its a concern of orientation. People it honeslty doesnt matter because SE will deliver that story to the point where that doesnt matter. I do not let myself be defined by my orientation or limit my life. i was out in my fraternity during college and the last thing that people that knew me for thought of was my orientation. I highly doubt that when SE does ponder this or actually does it that it will let a characters orientation define the story, because lets be real. Some of the stories you can swap out the characters with different types but the basic gist of the story stays the same. Would it have mattered if Cloud was gay in FF7? No because his orientation was not the focus of it, the story was. Would Lightning as a lesbian character effect the story of FF13? NO once again.

I have faith in the people that make these stories so i wont worry about a character being of an orientation just to have one. And if thats something that makes you stop going to SE then you are cutting yourself short on what will probably be a great story.

DerekMaverick
21st Jul 2012, 12:31
@Ascirus

Actually cross-dressing isn't as homosexual as people think it is. It is sometimes a sexual fetish or used for transgender people so they can assimilate to their new gender. It is usually only done by homosexual males in drag perfomence, and heterosexual men do cross-dress(Cloud included). And Fang and Vanille had more of a big sister, little sister relationship.

miya27
3rd Aug 2012, 14:26
Maybe they could just let you choose if you want to play as a heterosexual or a homosexual. That way it would be unbiased and we'd all be happy!

Randis
7th Aug 2012, 06:48
Galka

nuf said :)

snow348
8th Feb 2013, 21:12
I think it will be a long time before audiences are MATURE enough to accept a gay character in any kind of SERIOUS role. Seriously, how old are you guys anyway? 12?

member_10660568
8th Feb 2013, 21:45
I think Square Enix has done enough to allow players to live out their archetype preferences through gameplay without blatantly creating a character:

-Faris (FFV)

-Wall Market and Gold Saucer during the storyline (FFVII)

-The crossdresser in Dollet (FFVIII)

-Paine (FFX-2)

-Lightning/Fang (FFXIII)

Square Enix has definitely been considerate enough to include characters and gameplay for everyone, and even made it fun at times.

I think creating a character to appeal to a specific audience like this would be disingenuous and only an attempt to exploit a minority.

FatSqueek
8th Feb 2013, 22:24
CloudxTifa

member_10247755
9th Feb 2013, 10:20
I don't think I'd enjoy playing as a homosexual. I like being able to relate to the main character at least a little bit. I can't relate to that. Sorry, but I'd skip it.

haji
9th Feb 2013, 10:30
i dont think they should do it if they havent put any yaoi charcters in pervious final fantasy games they shouldnt start now

member_10247755
9th Feb 2013, 10:34
As some others have said, there have been many crossdressing moments, and characters (Cloud at the Wall Market, Kefka and Kuja throughout their respective games). However, those weren't blatantly throwing homosexuality in the players face. I thought they were more for humor than anything else.

FatSqueek
9th Feb 2013, 13:08
I wouldn't trust SE with writing a character like this. Atlus did a magnificent job with Kanji, but he's one of the only videogame characters that I can think of that is that well written. I wouldn't care either way though, and if you do, you're a bigot.

andylane691993
25th Mar 2014, 15:07
As much as i would really love a gay character that can be from the mean protagonists ,if i could choose i would like it to be the blondi friend with guns !! he's so freaking cool and hot much hotter than noctis i think !! Hope they will make him gay !! goooosh that would be so freaking awesome !!!! and i would be so happy to finally play something different ! playing a gay charcacter with his own story, problems ,romances will be something unique !
So hell yes i want my gay hero soon !

UNKLEPhilosophy
28th Mar 2014, 08:24
I would love to see a FFtitle without a bull**** romance they need to focus more to gamelay and story.. not romance.

EternalAmbiguity
4th Apr 2014, 04:47
Someone hasn't played Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII.

Me personally, I'd prefer if main characters stayed as non-sexual as possible, like Light.

FatSqueak
5th Apr 2014, 04:35
Who gives a ****?

FrenchDog
5th Apr 2014, 16:11
I don't think I understand the thread, how is a character's sexuality in any way relevant to anything?

Doom-Desire
7th Apr 2014, 12:18
I don't think I understand the thread, how is a character's sexuality in any way relevant to anything?

I agree with this, many of the main FF characters to date have been a bunch of moody, asexual messes anyway and Square managed to make them work. At the end of the day if they can make it work without it seeming forced (Like how JK Rowling made Dumbledore gay just to show 'diversity') then it doesn't really matter what sexuality the main characters are in my opinion.

Puppetshow
7th Apr 2014, 21:13
As a gay person myself. I don't think this is really worth looking at.
A gay lead character in an story driven RPG? It sounds pointlessly "excluding". I'm more then happy playing RPG's and putting my straight blinkers just like girls put their "boy" blinkers on on for the sake of a story. It's not a big deal, where as asking 9/10 players to play as a gay man, it's arrogant and improper.

What I think would be an idea worth looking at ewould one of the party members or playable characters would be used instead.
We've already had hybrid characters (Seymour)
Transgender/Asexual; (Gogo, Quina)
Mutants, (Vincent)
and FF has a long tradition of "out there" team mates.

It wouldn't be a big shock or change to the stories of any of the following FF's if it turned out someone like Kiros were gay,
Yuffie, with her relationship with her dad fits the profile of a young gay or bisexual teen,

One or two of the troupe in 9, perhaps Cinna or Blank.

Kimahri is an excellent fit., and it would suit his entire story through X and X - 2

(etc etc)... but not for a main character (IMO)

ValhallaChaos
8th Apr 2014, 00:46
Okay, to any admins/mods reading this. Read the ENTIRE post, I know it might sound like a hate speech but it's not.

I think having a gay character in a FF would be interesting idea. But then SE would get a sh-t ton of pure, unadulterated hate towards them, probably gaining more hatred for it than the hate from the loud minority of the FFXIII saga. It's ridiculous, so many bigots and narrow-minded people (and possibly homophobes) everywhere *sigh*

Hey, these 'fans' would probably boycott SE and FF and any future SE games indefinitely, since you know, "what does a character's sexuality have anything to do with their character/story/plot, etc?" I could say the exact same thing about how women are mainly portrayed in video games as either 1) a damsel in distress needing to be rescued by the big, bulky-muscles-jutting-out-everywhere-with-veins-popping-out, strong macho man? 2) more often than not (95% of the time) some big-breasted bimbo with a well-rounded backside, wearing barely anything at all (*cough*JRPG games, I'm looking directly at you. There are other games as well, but this is mainly prevalent in JRPG's from what I can tell). Or lastly 3) a strong-willed, independent and physically strong female character. E.g. Lightning (FFXIII trilogy), Elizabeth (bioshock infinite), commander Shepard aka fem'shep (mass effect trilogy), chloe, Elena and marlow (uncharted series) and Ellie (the last of us). And there are others, but also that woman from that metal gear game whose name eludes me now.

And Ellie was/is *SPOILERS* a lesbian! BUM BUMM DAH!. But the sad reality is most of the gaming community is made up of guys, only a small percent is made up of females. So to sell a game obviously the devs must include some sort of fanservice and create a buxom female character with a nice booty, wearing scantily clad in barely any clothes, amirite? Why does a video game's lead character have to be a heterosexual male? What the point there, if it 'doesn't add anything to the plot/character/anything else?'. Hm? Why not have a female character? But it's soooo extremely difficult, as a boy, to relate to someone like lightning yeah? She's so standoffish and borrrring, I can't ever relate to her; stuff her loyalty and morals, with what her trying to rescue her sister and all. Stuff her non-existent personality, I'd rather watch paint dry! Trying to protect people and sh-t. She looks so masculine! Although she's wearing a mini skirt (in FFXIII, her outfit is even worse in LRFFXIII, IMO honestly, she has NO PANTS OR A TOP for crying out loud!) looks like a man! What with us guys and family values? Pffftttt!!! No thanks.

Oh yeah, that's right, how could I ever forget? Guys like playing as a male character, so you can relate. guys cant ever relate to female character, yeah. what with you, with all those boobs and clothes, and everything. Ugh. And we (you) need a very masculine male character and a very sexually appealing female character, so you know....YOU (as a male gamer) can have these weird fantasies of 'banging' said female character, though the more female characters the more fantasies. Long live hentai and rule 34, amiriteagain? (That was sarcasm if it wasn't so blatantly obvious) Tch.

If SE ever decided to experiment and try someone new by implementing a gay character into a future FF game, I'd be interested for it. Why not? Besides the obvious fact that it would be a gay (or lesbian) character and it would attract all the bigots, narrow-minded people and haters/trolls? If SE took their time and actually planned it properly and created a believing, worthwhile story with aforementioned gay/lesbian character, it could actually make sense (i mean the story/plot); it could be a good game. But of course they won't since they got a TON of hate for trying something in regards to the FFXIII trilogy and making their lead (of one of the leads) gay/lesbian? That'd be just plain stupid and instant suicide by the grand wise logic of the majority of guys who play SE games, amirite? I mean look at all the praise naughty dog received for making a non-overtly sexualities strong and independent female character in Ellie (not to mention irrational games for Elizabeth; she's still sexual issued but IMO she's a total bada$s and just awesome) . Then they got a ton of hate because they decided to make Ellie a lesbian in the DLC (I haven't played the last of us yet since I'm waiting for the ps4 version, I accidentally read spoilers posted by f*#king annoying fanboys who were b*tching over the trivial fact that Ellie is gay), you should see the forums, it's crazy, well it was when the DLC was released in February.

Grow up. Will some of you gamers seriously not buy/play a game because a character (possibly the lead) is gay/lesbian? Really? Are you that much of a self-righteous bigot? Yes, I'm generalizing a bit here and may seem a tiny bit pompous (not my intention at all). But just reading some of these comments...wow.

ValhallaChaos
11th Apr 2014, 01:15
Wait, what? I didn't know the fan base initially thought noctis was gay. Or at least, that he could be gay. Really? Huh, you learn something new (how ever trivial) everyday. Well to me, it would've of more a difference to me at all if noctis is gay - but of course know all the hate SE would get from it, noctis isn't gay - seriously, if anything noct is being gay would've piqued my interest even more. Since I'd wonder what the story/plot would be and how his sexual orientation would possibly factor into the story.

Speaking of sexual orientation, I believe the furthest Square Enix has tapered 'away' from heterosexuality is in the FFXIII saga (well, specifically in FFXIII since that's when all the main characters - barring sequels - we're introduced). Lightning. Lead female character, yet she's not paired up with the (somewhat) main male lead character: Snow. They were the exact same age, same/similar personality traits, GREAT chemistry, they endured the hardships and trials of a tedious and arduous journey together, they bonded in a few intimate private/personal moments, etc. Yet SE still freaken refused for some dumb reason *cough*SERAH*cough* to make snow and lightning a couple. WHY SQUARE ENIX, WHHHHYYYYYYY!!!!!?!!!? JUST WHY!!!

Honestly, I think lightning is asexual (or at the very least, a demisexual). *Slight spoiler?* She's never had a boyfriend, never been in a relationship. She always put serah first and foremost; she was a child looking after and raising another child. She had to grow up quickly, dropped out of school, enrolled in the army to earn money to put food on the table, provide serah with materialistic items, etc. nothing wrong with being asexual but I really can't see lightning being otherwise. She was focused on raising serah: her first priority.

Starlight6x6
4th May 2014, 05:30
Frankly, I consider a lot of the arguments I've seen in this thread against having a gay character to be rather silly/bigoted, because a lot of them just sort of boil down to "ew no it's icky", which is a really immature way of looking at it. Props to cky182dude for at least being upfront about his reason for it, though.
I understand wanting to relate to the main character, but if their sexuality is of utmost importance to that, well, firstly, I don't think you quite understand how different sexualities work. It's... actually rather literally who you find attractive and nothing else. The prevalence of stereotypes tends to give the wrong idea, but usually the only difference, necessarily, between a gay man and a straight man is that the gay man finds other men sexually-attractive, while the straight man finds women sexually attractive. That's it. There are certainly effeminate males, like Kuja, but that's more of a gender expression thing and isn't really necessarily tied to sexual orientation.
I hardly think Cloud's brief crossdressing stint counts for anything, because it was a disguise put on out of necessity and wasn't really reflective of Cloud's character at all.
Additionally, it's worth keeping in mind when discussing such things that these games are made in Japan, and Japan's stereotypes for manly and flamingly gay men, at least appearance-wise, are actually something close to a reverse of the West's.

As for my own opinion on the matter, I'd be just fine with having (a) gay character(s) (or any LGBTQIA character, for that matter), so long as they were handled respectfully and weren't just stereotypes whose entire personalities revolved around that aspect of them.
It seems that a driving misconception for a lot of bigotry is a ridiculous mental exaggeration of how prominent whatever given differentiating trait is in an individual's personality, and the fact that if it were that way (which it almost always isn't), it would make the bigoted person very uncomfortable. I have a pretty diverse group of friends, and I speak from experience when I say that usually ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, etc. is nothing more than a footnote on a person's overall personality and, well, character, and I don't see why it should be any different for fictional characters.
It's natural for unfamiliar things to seem strange, and to make you uncomfortable, but it's important to look past that and not write off entire subsets of people just because you find what you see at first glance to be undesirable. (And that being the case, do put some thought into why it makes you uncomfortable, as well.)

EDIT: Oh, and @ValhallaChaos, the gaming populace is actually upwards of 40% female. A lot of the women are just rather quiet about it because how they tend to get treated for it is decidedly less than desirable.

Remyag
14th May 2014, 04:52
An Open Letter to Square Enix

I started playing Final Fantasy when I was six or seven when my brother and I got our mom to rent Final Fantasy I on NES. My brother and I couldn’t get very far, but I was hooked.
As a gaymer, when I was fourteen, playing Final Fantasy VII for the first time, I got the date with Aerith at the Gold Saucer and went about playing the game without thinking much of it. I cried like many a fanboy at her death. I wished there was a way to bring her back as a character like the rumors said. But, all the time, from the start of the game, I had a crush on Barret (who unfortunately is his own can of sociological worms). After beating the game, I heard from my best friend that you can get a date with Barret. My heart leaped in secret because I was in the closet. I went back and replayed the game using a walkthrough I found online to get the date with Barret (referred to as “The Guys Night Out.”) Through Cloud’s silence throughout the date, the ambivalence of the “The Guys Night Out” contained a layer of hidden or not so hidden gayness. I was ecstatic to have gotten the date with Barret, and yet I was left wanting more.
I played Final Fantasy VIII, and the plot with Squall and Rinoa was fulfilling. Yet, at the same time, I wondered if anyone would play the game if Rinoa and Seifer’s characters’ places in the plot were switched. What if Squall ended up with Seifer? Yeah right. In my dreams. But certainly, players will involve themselves in a Final Fantasy game with romance (sans sexual content) as a major facet of the plot.
When I beat Final Fantasy XIII, I wondered if I was crazy or if I had really just watched lesbians (Fang and Vanille) save a planet from destruction by a falling moon. But WERE they lesbians? Were they really?
A few years ago, I read that the character Noctis in Final Fantasy XV was going to be written as gay. I was so excited! And then it turned out to be a joke.
Near the end of college last year, I began to think that video games are a waste of time. Woe would be the day when Final Fantasy XV would come out, because I would have to buy a new console, a new game, and spend money and a lot of time playing another Final Fantasy. I told myself I shouldn’t spend my time playing games anymore. I almost stopped playing them. Then, deciding that if I could find a game with clearly gay characters that weren’t stereotypes, I would play it, and typed “gay video game character” into google. There was a series called Mass Effect that allowed the player to date other characters whether the same gender or not.
I had never seen that. I had to play it.
I expected Mass Effect to be a poorly put together amateur endeavor indie game. Who besides an indie game studio would be brave enough to put gay characters in a game? I was pleasantly surprised that the game had been professionally put together with an all star voice cast and an excellently crafted story. I’m buying a Commander Shepherd N7 leather jacket next week.
And I was surprised when I found out that half the staff (all straight) at my job had played Mass Effect and no one was bothered that Shepherd could be gay if the player wants. Someone mentioned how he had gotten the date with the character Tali. I mentioned bashfully that I got the date with Kaiden in the third game. No one said anything homophobic to me, and we went on discussing the games.
I think Final Fantasy fans would react neutrally to positively to a game with romance (sans sexual content) as a major facet of the plot if the characters involved were the same gender, except for the prejudiced few who are the same people who get fined for spewing homophobic hatred on twitter toward Michael Sam.
Please include a gay character, if not in Final Fantasy XV, then at least in some future Final Fantasy title. Michael Sam came out of the closet, and has now been drafted into the NFL. Gay marriage is becoming legal in more and more states. Jason Collins, an NBA player, came out of the closet. Homophobia is being rejected. I realize that Square makes games for a wide audience, and I think it’s time for a clearly gay character, completely and unambiguously gay, to be in a Final Fantasy title.

EternalAmbiguity
15th May 2014, 04:56
Anyone who played LR: FF XIII would know that Fang and Vanille are painted as gay.

bolty32
15th Jul 2014, 17:26
supposedly a lot of people think lightning and fang are lesbians, and they had a thing for each other that never got to be acted upon.

bolty32
15th Jul 2014, 18:49
i am a gaymer, but of course i think that if there is any gay/lesbian characters, they shouldn't fit into the stereotype of what gay culture is: (see enchanted arms, one of your starting characters is a flamer).