PDA

View Full Version : The music and sounds of Thief - Deadly Shadows...very minor SPOILERS

LeMartin
12th Jun 2004, 20:18
I for one think that it is just great, 2 favourite moments:

- In South Quarter, the music there is simply breathtaking for me as a Thief fan. When I first heard it, I simply stood there and listened. Then and every time I listen to it I fell as if the game is asking me:

"Remember player the times you had while playing me? Well...I'm back..."
(similar to how Sam says the same thing at the end of Return of The King)
A feeling enhanced by standing on top of the building across from Garett's place...made me feel as if this is my part of town, my home...seems as that part of town is as lonely as Garett...

- Also in the Pagan Sanctuary...man, very cool music to listen to. Sublime. I just stood there, veiled in darkness, a witness to the struggle between light and shadow, unseen, unheard, just listening. The first time I ever did that was in System Shock 2, another game with wonderful music...

Post your opinion about the sounds and music in Thief - Deadly Shadows and other games if you so desire....

PublicGadfly
12th Jun 2004, 20:35
Hadn't gotten into the audio as much as you;)

The music is great in the entire game (through Cradle so far)

I love the different voices-

That grumpy guard voice is superb.

Marla is awesome (sex-o)

Pagans remind me of my wife's relatives

:D
The white/blond haired women in the Keeper compund are so kewl~ I bump them and squeeze them until thew tell me "you forget yourself", etc.
Lauryl in the Cradle- wow!
The Hag- shudder

The voices are great.

LeMartin
12th Jun 2004, 20:53
"Hello sneaksie thief"

"We bes watching you..."

Funny how you said they sound like your wife's relatives..."we bes watching you"....:D

And since you loved The Cradle, try the links in one of my older threads:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40237

Also, I remembered something I had said in a previous post about sounds:

In the Hammerite Factory I was pleasently surprised to recognize the sound of the hammer striking the forge, so well known to me form the haunting cutscenes of Thief - The Dark Project and Thief - The Metal Age. Cheers to Ion Storm for using the right sound in the right place for I do not know of any other sound able of embodying with such perfection the fanaticism, the power and the age of the Order of the Hammer...

The Abysmal Gale mission, what a bow to the mine level in Thief - The Dark Project! The sound the zombies make is so visceral, fleshy, as if their bodies are dry on the inside and their mouths are dry as well and they close and open their lips making that dry mouth sound as if they are trying to taste life again, to hold on to a distant past, almost forgottten, but with no use, the need to feed is stronger....their lives are now a foggy memory, much like the fog on the Gale.... And the music on the ship...such sadness, at moments it sounds like a lullaby...a tormented, sick, dead and dry version of a lullaby...

Not to mention the very funny conversations between Dumb Guard and Smart Guard, or the things the sleeping people dream of....

PublicGadfly
12th Jun 2004, 22:47
I noticed you are from Romania (Dracula?)

I always 'perceived' that to be a spooky kind of place. It probably really isn't though.

On the "wife's relatives~" try Tennessee (USA) snake handlers!

Give me the creeps whenever i see them. I still think they are pagans only hiding under a christianity unbrella. And yes, they do talk a little like that :eek:

Tricky_Thief
12th Jun 2004, 22:57
LeMartin the music in south quarter is unique...the best i've heard.
And i cant forget the music in the keepers library from thief 1 ,mission:haunted cathedral...
Or the music from movie CS6 in the begining....

LeMartin
12th Jun 2004, 23:08
Originally posted by PublicGadfly
I noticed you are from Romania (Dracula?)

I always 'perceived' that to be a spooky kind of place. It probably really isn't though.

On the "wife's relatives~" try Tennessee (USA) snake handlers!

Give me the creeps whenever i see them. I still think they are pagans only hiding under a christianity unbrella. And yes, they do talk a little like that :eek:

How can I say this, yeah Dracula's legend takes place in Transylvania, a part of Romania. BUT it was not real and not part of our culture. Bram Stoker took something out of context and turned it into a really good fantasy story. No problem with getting Romania known, but there's more to this country, SO MUCH MORE. Also, yeah, our medieval castles are a little bit spooky, especially if you are young while visiting them, but nothing like the Cradle I'm afraid... If you want to see more of Romania try watching the movie Michael The Brave - The Last Crusade (as I believe it was known in USA). It was the only Romanian movie released in cinemas in the US and almost got an OSCAR. It shows part of Romania's history, the part when Michael The Brave united all Romanian Countries into one (the first union of all 3), Valahia, Moldavia and Transylvania became one. Really good war movie and if you take under consideration the fact that it had a small budget (although pretty big for the time, when you'll see the movie and what level of detail it has you'll know what I mean) and that it was filmed with only 3 cameras none of them mounted on a crane and that it was made in the 70's it really is on par with movies like Spartacus, Braveheart, Gladiator and Troy but without the Hollywood sentimental touch, it's all about the facts, details and history (of both Romania and Europe). http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066078/ for more info. AND stay away from movies like Van Helsing if you want REAL info about Romania. For Dracula on screen, stick to Coppola's Dracula with Gary Oldman and Keanu Reeves, it's a great movie in which (from what I remember) the geography of Romania is portrayed correctly and also Romanian is spoken ALMOST correctly, Gary Oldman sounds like the real thing...

Hope I did not sound angry cose I was not. Just sharing some info. :D Advertinsig my country and all that...:D :cool:

Scary info about your relatives, but the wife's family always seems to be "strange" doesn't it? (I am not married) And did you say they are snake handlers, or was that just a nickname? (hope it is :D)

LeMartin
12th Jun 2004, 23:19
Originally posted by Tricky_Thief
LeMartin the music in south quarter is unique...the best i've heard.
And i cant forget the music in the keepers library from thief 1 ,mission:haunted cathedral...
Or the music from movie CS6 in the begining....

Well, I don't know about "the best" but it really is good. Also the other musical moments you mention are just great, but I for one love the music in the final cutscene from Thief - The Dark Project. And The Haunted Cathedral, man I was so spooked about all the sounds, I hardly remember the music, will have to check it out again.

YUP. Thief has some of the best music in the gaming industry. But I want to mention the Elder Scrolls III - Morrowind Theme by Jeremy Soule and also the music from the Icewind Dale series by the same man...Already mentioned System Shock 2, great music, great game...Also CHASER had some wonderful music, especially in the Chinatown Sewers level, simply beautiful....

Post your music moment memories right here people.

Or just rant about anything, I don't mind...

PublicGadfly
13th Jun 2004, 00:56
Originally posted by LeMartin
Scary info about your relatives, but the wife's family always seems to be "strange" doesn't it? (I am not married) And did you say they are snake handlers, or was that just a nickname? (hope it is :D)

Yep, real snakes-
There is a Patrick Swazie (sp) movie I think called "Kin" with Liam (?). Hillbilly types in Chicago.

Snake charmers or something like that. The hold and 'talk' to snakes (poison types) as part of their religion.

My family~ even worse. Horse thieves, wife stealers, etc.

All from Tennessee. Kind of makes me wonder about the state.

I saw 'a' movie, might have been the one you talk about. I have read a fair amount about that part of the world and it's history seems fascinating.

There was a real Vlad the Impaler, right?

LeMartin
13th Jun 2004, 01:16
YUP, Vlad The Impaler was a real king/ruler how you may call him. But there was nothing paranormal/vampirical about him.
http://members.aol.com/johnfranc/drac05.htm
About Vlad Tepes (the impaler). One thing though Vlad Dracul means: Vlad The Devil. The Romanian word for Dragon is...dragon, balaur, not dracul as mentioned there...
http://www.thebans.com/romania/history/vladTepes.asp

Not sure about the info in those links. It may not be 100% accurate so take it as such...

Oh, your family sounds interesting....very interesting...and really scary. But then I am an adventure loving person so... I hope they aren't stealing horses and wives anymore... although it might come in handy...:D

By the way...my real name is Vlad, no joking...
Now to pay a visit to those young virgin girls with pearl white necks I saw on my way home....:D

Now to get back ON-TOPIC, if u want to continue the conversation PM me and let me know...