PDA

View Full Version : why dvd in europe but CD rom in the us?

u5ndh
12th Jun 2004, 14:01
I'm wondering who decided to release the game on 3 cd's in the us but 1 dvd in europe.

Will this have been Ion Storm or Eidos.

As far as i'm concerned it doens't make sense. Choose one or other or release both verwsion everywhere.

neil

Majnun
12th Jun 2004, 15:47
That kind of stuff is always the publisher's call, so EIDOS.

I guess they think not enough people in NA have DVD drives in their PCs. To be honest I just got one myself a month ago, and that was only because my CD-R/RW died on me.

Hopefully we'll start getting first release games on DVD over here sometime next year.

u5ndh
12th Jun 2004, 15:51
I know that feeling.

Until this afternoon i didn't have a dvd in my computer as i use the one with my tv and didn't see a point in having one in my computer before now. I only bought it today because i wanted to play thief3 and i couldn't otherwise.

neil

ViperTCR
12th Jun 2004, 15:56
Though living in Germany myself I can hardly belief why less people in the US should've DVD-ROMs in their PCs than Europeans.
But obviously market studies are leading to this conclusion.

It was the same Issue with Far Cry. Though I bought an UK-Version of this game it came on 3 CDs - but normally it should've on DVD throughout Europe.
The only thing why they published in in UK on CD, too, was imo that they couldn't fit the demand only with a DVD release.

ViperTCR

PS: I've seen German forums were people got bad comments on complaining about the "Far Cry only on DVD"-issue because they had a 3000+ (or equal) PC but no DVD-ROM in their PC. But imo your right - if you don't use your PC to watch DVDs there haven't been that many reason's for having a DVD-ROM in it.

Mr. Perfect
12th Jun 2004, 23:43
Becasue us Americans are forever cursed with CD shuffling by the powers that be. Aparently we need more drink coasters over here....;)

Kaspre
13th Jun 2004, 00:03
*sigh* Yeah, and I was telling people five years ago that they should get DVD-ROM drives in their new computers, because games would be DVD only "really soon."

Seemed like a slam-dunk to transition to a more efficient storage medium at very little cost, but for some reason things haven't yet taken off to the degree that I expected.

Nemo85
13th Jun 2004, 02:13
yeah dido. I had my comp custom built and a DVD added and that like 2 years ago! Has not gotten the use i thought it would...

Guineapiggy
13th Jun 2004, 10:52
Oh it gets worse. The new standard, a 30gb single-sided DVDrom has been announced, and by the looks, it takes a completely revised 'blue laser' laser head to read so if that ever becomes standard you'll need new drives. Either way, personally I feel it's this bull**** region encrypting that is damaging the DVD's prospects.

Thatguy
13th Jun 2004, 14:36
It seems CD-roms are being replaced by DVDs for games in europe as all new games are on DVD only here, a good thing (no more annoying cd swapping) :)

Thatguy
13th Jun 2004, 14:38
It seems CD-roms are being replaced by DVDs for games in europe as all new games are on DVD only here, a good thing (no more annoying cd swapping) :)

shoppa
13th Jun 2004, 16:03
I live in North America and dont know anyone who does not have a DVD-ROM or DVD/RW drive.

Thinzad
13th Jun 2004, 16:12
Just a thought, but is it possible that they expected T:DS to support multiple languages in the european version, so went with the DVD idea that already does that?

Majnun
13th Jun 2004, 17:15
There are numerous free programs that turn off/circumvent "region encrypting".

You can play any dvd from any region (an unlimited number of times). That is as long as you're playing them on your PC and run one of those programs. :)