PDA

View Full Version : Is the Tomb Raider franchise dead?

Sh_2004
11th Jun 2004, 23:30
I used to be a huge fan of tomb raider it used to be my favourite game. After TRAOD came out after much anticipation it turned out to be one hell of a disappointment, the bugs made it really annoying to play. Then I watched Tomb Raider 2, one of the crapest films ever created! I cant be bothered with tomb raider now, it doesnt interest me at all! It used to be a big talking point in the gaming industry, now its ridiculed. The popularity of tomb raider has dropped immensly! In the next 5 years it won't exist anymore, not half as many people are interested in it anymore that say 3 years ago!

jso2897
12th Jun 2004, 01:12
There's been a lot of terrible Batman product put out. The Batman franchise lives on.

Invincible
12th Jun 2004, 01:51
Originally posted by Sh_2004
It used to be a big talking point in the gaming industry, now its ridiculed.

Not really No,but sadly....,critics of bad things in Angel of Darkness,made that:rolleyes:
But other stuff what u said is just plain W-R-O-N-G!!:mad: :D

snickrep04
12th Jun 2004, 02:32
Sh_2004, I can see your worries. But you shouldn't predict the future for tomb raider. Sure the TR movies and AOD flopped, but as Invincible said, Critics just the bad points of each and bashed them way to quick. Critics bash anything labeled with "Tomb Raider" on it.

Don't listen to magazines or the media because they are the ones that are wrong. The TR movies and AOD got bashed by alot of people, but whats so weird is that I like the TR movies (Angelina was awesome) and AOD. So thats all that matters.

Tomb Raider games will always be made and the hardcore TR fans (trust me there is alot) will always buy anything tomb raider. Tomb Raiders strongest support team are its fans. Once we stop buying new TR games, thats when TR will die.

Just wait for Crystal Dynamics to release TR7, hopefully they will make a great tomb raider game that will make everyone happy. I can tell you one thing, whether or not the critics bash TR7, hardcore TR fans (including me) will buy this game no matter what and thats because its "Tomb Raider" .

thanhkim
12th Jun 2004, 03:57
Originally posted by snickrep04
Sh_2004, I can see your worries. But you shouldn't predict the future for tomb raider. Sure the TR movies and AOD flopped, but as Invincible said, Critics just the bad points of each and bashed them way to quick. Critics bash anything labeled with "Tomb Raider" on it.

Don't listen to magazines or the media because they are the ones that are wrong. The TR movies and AOD got bashed by alot of people, but whats so weird is that I like the TR movies (Angelina was awesome) and AOD. So thats all that matters.

Tomb Raider games will always be made and the hardcore TR fans (trust me there is alot) will always buy anything tomb raider. Tomb Raiders strongest support team are its fans. Once we stop buying new TR games, thats when TR will die.

Just wait for Crystal Dynamics to release TR7, hopefully they will make a great tomb raider game that will make everyone happy. I can tell you one thing, whether or not the critics bash TR7, hardcore TR fans (including me) will buy this game no matter what and thats because its "Tomb Raider" . Well said stick with Lar's and tr and it will be fine couldn't of said it better myself right back to you dude.

eurisko
12th Jun 2004, 10:51
Goddamnit, I'm the only person in the world who liked the movies!

um, what snickrep04 said :)

dhama
12th Jun 2004, 11:49
The TR franchise is living on at the moment through custom levels, see
http://www.trle.net

there's over a thousand beautifully crafted levels to play, at least 50% are IMHO, better than Core Designs.

Forget about the AOD mistake,and download some custom levels, all levels at the above address have been reviewed by other players, so you should'nt have difficulty finding something to your taste.

Please release the TR4 source code Eidos.... thank you so kindly :-)

EddyBones
12th Jun 2004, 14:42
There's one good thing that came out of AOD, right? I mean the textures that dhama ripped for us to use in the LE. Rock on, dhama!

suzieq51
13th Jun 2004, 02:59
Originally posted by eurisko
Goddamnit, I'm the only person in the world who liked the movies
No, I liked 'em too, so that makes 2 of us! :)

Oh, and dhama, may I be so bold as to suggest the following be added ....

please, please, pretty please oh great and powerful Eidos!!!!! (bow, bow, scrape & bow, etc ...) :D

dhama
13th Jun 2004, 07:32
Originally posted by Gandalf the Gray
There's one good thing that came out of AOD, right? I mean the textures that dhama ripped for us to use in the LE. Rock on, dhama!

Only through TRWad's help.. ;)

@suzieq, you may.. :cool:

Deekman
13th Jul 2004, 21:00
Originally posted by eurisko
Goddamnit, I'm the only person in the world who liked the movies!
Nah. I liked 'em, too.
But even more importantly, my wife liked them and she's not even a fan of the game, or even AJ.

LARAMANIAC
13th Jul 2004, 21:14
I guess it depends on how you look at things..................If you wish to judge Tomb Raider merely on Angel of Darkness and the two films, which you say you didn't enjoy then I suppose its over for you. Personally, like a lot of other people, Tomb Raider lives on for me through the custom levels. There are some fantastic levels out there to play, I haven't dabbled in creating yet, but the option is open should I decide to do that. I am a victim, if it says Tomb Raider on the product I will give it a chance. If the product disappoints me, then I will live in hope that the next product is bigger and better! :D

Long live Tomb Raider!!!! :D :p

susan
14th Jul 2004, 09:46
Originally posted by LARAMANIAC
I am a victim, if it says Tomb Raider on the product I will give it a chance.

Me too. I thought after AoD that I'd be more careful with TR7, make sure it was worth it before I bought next time. But, here I am, already getting twitchy at the thought of the next one. No way am I not going to buy TR7. I think when you've enjoyed something so much you always give it another chance.

Long live Tomb Raider!!!! :D :p

Yeah!! :D

LARAMANIAC
14th Jul 2004, 21:09
Susan may I direct you here!!!! (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=414836#post414836) I too promised myself after AoD, that I would make sure it was worth the money first. But just one person mentions winter, and the flutterbyes start in the stomach! :D ;)

Deekman
15th Jul 2004, 12:21
And speaking of custom levels (and if you follow LARAMANIAC's link, you'll eventually find the link I just left which will take you to the premier custom level site)
one of the most ambitious projects ever is curently being enjoyed by many.
he game of which I speak is TRLE: Gold - Lara at the Movies in which our heroine enters a movie theater and gets sucked into various on screen adventures. I'm currently in the Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho level (in B&W, no less),
and believe me, it's creepy all over again. There's absolutely nothing like driving through the woods in the rain on your motorcycle and pulling into the parking lot of the Bates Motel for yourself!
If you call yourself a Tomb Raider fan you owe it to yourself to start playing some of the THOUSANDS of custum levels that are out there.
If you're not playing them, you are truly missing out on a lot of action.

Buzbee
15th Jul 2004, 15:54
hopefully:D

Deekman
15th Jul 2004, 18:56
RE: Is the Tomb Raider franchise dead?

Originally posted by Buzbee
hopefully:D
If you wish the TR franchise to be dead what on earth are you doing here?

Rose662
16th Jul 2004, 06:08
TR IS NOT DEAD!!

You cannot judge the TR franchise on just the results of AOD and the second movie.

Tomb Raider will live on, not only in the old games 1 through 5 (plus the golds), but also with the fan-created levels. Plus, there is the new TR games coming out soon. You cannot judge them before you have seen them.

I think I speak for most TR fans including myself when I say that I will continue to love 5 years from now and beyond. Popularity has NOT dropped. That is your sole opinion.

I don't yet own AOD and I haven't seen COL.

I loved the first TR movie. :)

Originally posted by Sh_2004
I used to be a huge fan of tomb raider it used to be my favourite game. After TRAOD came out after much anticipation it turned out to be one hell of a disappointment, the bugs made it really annoying to play. Then I watched Tomb Raider 2, one of the crapest films ever created! I cant be bothered with tomb raider now, it doesnt interest me at all! It used to be a big talking point in the gaming industry, now its ridiculed. The popularity of tomb raider has dropped immensly! In the next 5 years it won't exist anymore, not half as many people are interested in it anymore that say 3 years ago!

Invincible
16th Jul 2004, 06:47
Originally posted by Bazbee
Hopefully

Originally posted by DEEKMAN
If you wish the TR franchise to be dead what on earth are you doing here?

Exactly :rolleyes:

Buzbee
17th Jul 2004, 15:17
KIDDING

jeezo, can't take a joke, huh?
sorry anyways:)

Reason...well, came on the net to distract myself from playing AOD. Was at that evil big spider boss and in mood for killing lara and any affiliates. Sorry

Killed the spider this morning. Smiled with glee as it killed The Annoying Smug one......:D

TheBoo
17th Jul 2004, 18:47
Originally posted by DEEKMAN
.........currently in the Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho level (in B&W, no less), and believe me, it's creepy all over again. There's absolutely nothing like driving through the woods in the rain on your motorcycle and pulling into the parking lot of the Bates Motel for yourself!
Aye........the creepy-crawlies ran all over me when I saw that sign! Then, when I got into the hotel room and saw the shower............well, it took me a few minutes to muster the nerve to get in.........you know what happened next.

And then the sight of the old house [shudder]........that has to be the definitive image of evil........silent....waiting....evil.