PDA

View Full Version : How do I kill the 15 headed Hydra? Attn NEWBIES

theBlackman
11th Jun 2004, 22:24
There is no Hydra. But DON'T POST SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC. (Yes I'm yelling)

When you ask a question make it simple. "Need help in Temple", or "Stuck in Auldale".

Don't say "How do I kill the 15 headed hydra"

Then use the SPOILER BUTTON for your specific question. That's what it is there for.

Clumsyorchid
11th Jun 2004, 22:26
I support this as well, the spoiler function is a great tool, please be respectful of the other players on the board. Happy Thief-ing :)

u5ndh
11th Jun 2004, 22:31
This is especially relevant consdering the European versions were only released today but alot of the peopel in europe will have been reading the boards for a while like me.

I don't want to read spoliers so i wish people would mark them better as i want to play the game without knowing whats will happen or ideally without even knowing anything about missions at all includig the title or vague description.

Neil

Macsen
11th Jun 2004, 22:33
Speaking of which *** does the *** fit ***** G****** hippo **** bathtup **** rococco?

chris20202
11th Jun 2004, 22:37
Originally posted by theBlackman
There is no Hydra. But DON'T POST SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC. (Yes I'm yelling)

When you ask a question make it simple. "Need help in Temple", or "Stuck in Auldale".

Don't say "How do I kill the 15 headed hydra"

Then use the SPOILER BUTTON for your specific question. That's what it is there for.

Heh, good post, Blackman.

I have also been irritated by the spoiler information being given in the message topics. "How do I kill the 15 headed hydra?", if there was such a thing in the game, would be a definite spoiler, because it tells me that there IS a 15 headed hydra, and that I'm supposed to kill it!

And when you see a number of topics like that, you start to learn too much about the later parts of the game which you haven't even gotten to yet.

If I were a moderator here, I'd delete all such threads, or (if possible) rename their topics.

u5ndh
11th Jun 2004, 22:42
To make a point i've just noticed a post called "sunken citadel bug". As someone who has yet to buy the game as it was only out today in the uk and i could get to a shop i don't want to know theres a sunken citadel in the game let alone that there's a problem with it.

Neil

ChowYunFat
12th Jun 2004, 01:20
Originally posted by Macsen
Speaking of which *** does the *** fit ***** G****** hippo **** bathtup **** rococco?
If you throw an oil flask into the bathtub, the hippo will slide right in

tealsmith
28th Jun 2004, 13:44
I decided to bump this thread back up, because it seems some people still aren't getting the message.

NEVER post spoilers in your thread title, it's almost impossible for people NOT to see it.

shalroq
23rd Jul 2004, 02:54
Can I take this opportunity to give an example of posting a question in spoiler format?
This is quite a serious problem I've been having in The City transition bits:

When the gay monkey with the paddle starts chasing me I throw an oil flask at him but he jumps over it and throws a banana skin at my feet, causing me to slip. Each time that happens he paddles me. How do I avoid being tripped up by the gay monkey?

uberam
23rd Jul 2004, 03:38
shalroq
If you lurk in the shadows by the entrance to the Blue Oyster Bar, you'll hear the monkey say that he's not gay, more like metrosexual

shalroq
23rd Jul 2004, 11:25
ok. Thanks. :)

Lendrik
23rd Jul 2004, 17:40
I agree with everything said here (about spoilers, not monkeys). The biggest spoiler (and the most unintentional one) is when people mention Gamall. People who just started the game know Gamall as a little translator girl. But several topics here mention Gamall in her true form, as a Hag and that alone presents a huge spoiler.

Petestar
23rd Jul 2004, 18:26
Originally posted by u5ndh
To make a point i've just noticed a post called "sunken citadel bug". As someone who has yet to buy the game as it was only out today in the uk and i could get to a shop i don't want to know theres a sunken citadel in the game let alone that there's a problem with it.

Neil

Well then, don't come here until you've played the game!!!

theBlackman
23rd Jul 2004, 19:16
Petestar

You obviously don't understand the function of the forum, or the proper social interaction of these discussion areas.

To tell the end of the movie, or the book, or to spoil someone elses enjoyment of anything is discourteous, rude, and unmannerly, as was your remark above.

Please state any opinion you wish, but rudeness will not be tolerated.
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42785

Petestar
27th Jul 2004, 18:42
Petestar

You obviously don't understand the function of the forum, or the proper social interaction of these discussion areas.

To tell the end of the movie, or the book, or to spoil someone elses enjoyment of anything is discourteous, rude, and unmannerly, as was your remark above.

Please state any opinion you wish, but rudeness will not be tolerated.
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42785

Well excuse me, but I thought the idea of a forum was you came here for help when you got stuck or to be all altruistic and help those who got stuck.

If you come here months in advance of a game being released your expectations may well be raised too high and then you will most likely be very disappointed when the game finally comes out and doesn't live up to the massive hype via the board. You may or course, also see spoilers before you even play the game!!

Case in point.........Morrowind. Ok not an Eidos game but hey it illustrates the point pretty well.

Oh and btw using words like "obviously" to put people down is also discourteous, rude and unmannerly, not to mention incredibly patronising, guess that makes us even.

wolfsbane
27th Jul 2004, 19:07
alright break it up you two :)

basically i can see points from both sides...

theBlackman is right: people come to the boards for all kinds of reasons, only one part of that is for help on the games... I've come to the boards for 1. technical support 2. bug rants 3. help with levels 4. to help others and give back what i've taken.

when i was here for any of those, i didn't want the story finished for me in words, i wanted to do it myself... if i needed help, i just wanted it specifically for one thing.

petestar is right as well: some people need to chill out, when coming to a board, you are going to be presented with a wealth of information and you might encounter a spoiler or two (hopefully it's minor).

that being said, the posts are getting out of hand, Like in one post i noticed someone give away the ending movie in a thread that had nothign to do with needing help on something...!!! ouch..if i hadn't already seen the movie, i would have been pissed!

i've been guilty of giving away spoilers also, but only when i see that the original poster has said, spoilers below or if there are already spoilers been splashed out before me.

i do have a question for the moderators and anyone else who want to chime in...

sometimes when i'm doing a spoiler, it's annoying for me to have to go back and input the code for the spoiler and then have all these huge blue boxes in the thread (i know, i'm lazy) but what i do is say

spoilers ahead *****

and then start typing below... is that still bad? (i only do this with threads i've started) not with other peoples threads.

jm

theBlackman
27th Jul 2004, 23:36
Petestar

You are correct, I was rude, following your example.

The point being that your opinion about what is and not, is your opinion and, in this case, the response about use of the spoilers and the forum was in error.

No intent to start a war, we are both slightly out of line.

Wolfsbane

Except for eating up storage, "spoilers..." ****** is used frequently, however, a very simple {spoil} to start and {/spoil} to end, can be typed with ease. I too dislike the "open the header, type, enter" at the top. If you substitute [ ] for the { } then you get this: a nice little speedy sentence with no delay and hardly any loss of time or energy.

To all

Wolfsbane has it right. There are many reasons for visiting. Petestar, is right in part of his comments about "expectations" etc. But information and discussion and, for some, zen enlightenment is the driving force. And most, if not all of us do not want to see the ending, or the villians, or the problems posted in the topic heading.

When it is so done, you cannot avoid having your "dinner" spoiled, because you read the topic headings to see what's on the menu (forum).

Petestar
30th Jul 2004, 18:33
Petestar

You are correct, I was rude, following your example.

No intent to start a war, we are both slightly out of line.

Fair enough.

Let's chill, its too damn hot to fuss over.

Stile451
30th Jul 2004, 23:40
The spoil tag doesn't work fully in Opera. If the line wraps then only the first line is covered while the rest is visible.

The spoiler tag works as it should, though.