PDA

View Full Version : Should be getting more than 5 FPS...

SpookyNinja
10th Jun 2004, 15:48
Like many of you I'm experiencing poor performance on a high end system.

Athlon XP 3000
1024MB DDR RAM
GeForce FX 5900 Ultra
SB Audigy 2
Asus A7N8x Motherboard
Windows XP Pro

I have been getting 5FPS no matter what settings and resolution I use. 5FPS at 640x480 and 5FPS at 1600x1200.

Bloom and Vsync are off.
AA and A/F are set to application controlled.

The only changes I've made in the default.ini are
Use32BitTextures=True
CacheSizeMegs=64

I know the game can run much better because once while playing it suddenly started to run smoothly and the framerate skyrocketed. Not sure what the circumstances were surrounding that but it hasn't happened again.

Thanks for any help.

Stereophile
10th Jun 2004, 15:57
Make sure you aren't forcing aa/af, update drivers?
You should most certainly get more than 5 fps.
You don't want antivirus going, also maybe try unistalling/reinstalling ?
I have a 9800 pro and play @ 1024 max everything bloom off multisampling 2 and I get 40-50 average, drops to the high 20's at the worst. And that's with an xp2700 and half as much memory.
Definitely something is wrong.
I see you edited the ini. Don't know if you could have messed something up, but maybe a default one just to test ?

SpookyNinja
11th Jun 2004, 14:49
Thanks for the reply.
I have the most recent Nvidia drivers.
Not forcing aa/af, they are set to application controlled.
No antivirus programs running, in fact I disabled almost everything running in the background.
I guess if nothing else works soon I'll try reinstalling.

U4EA
11th Jun 2004, 14:56
Motherboard drivers?

Kirby64
11th Jun 2004, 17:39
Don't know if this helps, but I had a problem with thief, and couldn't figure it out.. and I tried settings AF at 8x and leaving AA at aplication controlled, and it worked. Dunno if that'll work for you, but you could give it a try. :D

chris20202
11th Jun 2004, 22:31
Originally posted by SpookyNinja
Like many of you I'm experiencing poor performance on a high end system.

Athlon XP 3000
1024MB DDR RAM
GeForce FX 5900 Ultra
SB Audigy 2
Asus A7N8x Motherboard
Windows XP Pro

I have been getting 5FPS no matter what settings and resolution I use. 5FPS at 640x480 and 5FPS at 1600x1200.

Bloom and Vsync are off.
AA and A/F are set to application controlled.

The only changes I've made in the default.ini are
Use32BitTextures=True
CacheSizeMegs=64

Thanks for any help.

Something is seriously wrong.

I have a very similar system to yours, same motherboard(almost, a7n8x-x), graphics card, amd 2800, regular windows xp, 512 megs ram, onboard sound instead of a sound card. I get 30 or 40 fps at 1024x768.

It's possible you have vsync on in the graphics card menu but off in the game, that would still leave it on. But this wouldn't account for the problem.

Are your graphics card and motherboard drivers updated? Have you tried turning off all the EAX settings in the game(probably you have tried that)? Have you made sure you have no gamepads or joysticks or such plugged in?

Are you sure you have no viruses or spyware clogging up your system? ctrl-alt-delete to open up the task manager and see what you have running, or run msconfig and check to see what might be clogging up your system.

I'm puzzled as to what would give you such poor performance. Does it >look< like you have antialiasing and anisotropic filtering on, while you're playing?

Something is majorly f***ed up, it's hard to tell what. If it were me, if nothing else worked, I might remove the sound card, see if that changed anything, reinstall the graphics drivers, etc.

n8bowa
12th Jun 2004, 01:35
Wow, didn't think I'd find a graphics problem worse than mine.

I've got a Athlon 64 3200+, K8T NEO FIS2R MB, 1 GB PC3200 DDR 400 Ram, Radeon 9700 Pro, 420 Watt PS, Onboard A97 audio (tried turning it off, no performance difference), 80 GB SATA HD. I get no more than 30 fps, and I usually hang around 24. Not to mention endless slowdowns when moving the character or mouse.

Destroyer
12th Jun 2004, 20:22
I know I am boosting this thread up ! but as you see my specs below ! I don't have a slow pc ! When I move the mouse, move Garret see other people move the game slows down ! By the way is there a code or something so you can see what fps are you experiencing ? Anybody else have this porb ! I don't know, I am not playing the game because of this reason ! It's purely buggin' me out ! Can't they fix this ?

In the nVidia settings everything is application controlled and even when I turn everything low (as low as it can be) I barely see a difference in PERFORMANCE !

Ferett
12th Jun 2004, 20:28
Hmm.. I wouldnt know how to help you there man. I'm using a Radeon 9800 pro and my game hauls ass at around 40-50 FPS. Look into getting some omega drivers, theres a link to the site on the technical boards. Omega drivers are basically drivers for your video card that some guy seriously debugs, its great stuff.

Destroyer
12th Jun 2004, 20:39
ok Ferret thanks for your opinion I will try that ! Isn't there a programme or code so that youc an see the FPS rate ?

Stereophile
12th Jun 2004, 21:53
Originally posted by Destroyer
ok Ferret thanks for your opinion I will try that ! Isn't there a programme or code so that youc an see the FPS rate ?

No there is no code. You have to download a program called FRAPS. Google it.

Destroyer
16th Jun 2004, 11:23
Hey guys I have checked on the framerate that I experienceing ! Well at everything low the fps never goes higher than 40 fps and usually hauls about 16 - 20 !! Can anyone help !