PDA

View Full Version : You’re all the worst thieves ever

FREEtheWEED
10th Jun 2004, 15:39
You’re all the worst thieves ever

From what I have been reading in these forums is that you're not thieves at all, but you are a bunch of mass murders. There are dozens and dozens of threads here where people are talking about killing everybody in the game, going to the mansion and killing everyone in the House and killing everyone in the town. Your not being thieves your being mass murders. “That is sick”, if you don't have the patience to play the game like a thief then why did you buy it? The idea is to go in and steal valuables without getting caught, that doesn't mean killing everyone so that you don't get caught, it should mean being stealthy so that you're never seen, so no one knows you were even there, not leave a trail of dead bodies behind you. There are some people here I think should actually find some kind of mental help, why in the world would you kill the captain's wife? Why would you kill anyone for that matter except maybe the undead which already dead? There are some people on this forum that are complaining because they don't have a sword to kill people with, or they're complaining because the character doesn't have a lot of fighting skills? The idea is to not to fight anyone, you're not supposed to get caught, you're supposed to sneak around, not play this game like a first person shooter. Some of you people lack some very serious gaming skills and the biggest one is something called patients.

van_HellSing PL
10th Jun 2004, 15:43
:confused:

I didn't notice any threads on excessive killing...

Kaspre
10th Jun 2004, 15:53
I have.

While I don't necessarily agree with the tone of this post, I have to agree to some extent with the message. I've seen several (not tons, but some) posts to the effect of "I keep running out of ammo before I kill all the zombies!" and "Why do the zombies get back up??" and "I've killed all the guards, and this level is really boring!" and such.

Personally, I just shrug and say "to each his own." After all, the capabilities are part of the game, and sometimes I go on a "no-one left standing" streak myself. If someone wants to kill each and every sentient critter in the game, its none of my business. Its usually only if someone bad-mouths the game because they don't seem to understand its intent that I would speak up.

TheBishopdonwon
10th Jun 2004, 15:53
thats why he has weapons?

Kaspre
10th Jun 2004, 16:02
By the way, Weed-guy, if you prefer the non-violent ultra-sneaksy thief gameplay, be sure to check out Thief: Gold and Thief: Metal Age. Both were slightly superior games to Deadly Shadows, and on Expert mode you really had to be more thief than assassin. Knock out a guard and the mission was over!

Grazhopp
10th Jun 2004, 16:04
Yes taking 5 minutes to walk through a hallway by dodging the NPCs static AI path makes for such a temendously more exciting gaming experience...

HOC
10th Jun 2004, 16:07
oh golly, not another one of these whiney "you're not supposed to play the game you bought with your own money that way!" posts.

if this was a perfect world, there'd be a law saying you could only complain about the gaming methods of others if you're willing to pay to do so.

or you could ***** and moan all you want to those that are desperately seeking help because they don't know how to use their weapons sparingly. would save the rest of us from having to read this trash.

shoppa
10th Jun 2004, 16:36
FreeTheWeed, you cant be serious....but in case you are:

FreeTheWeed, you have BeenSmokinTooMuchWeed.

I pay, I play my way. End of da shizzle my nizzle.

Oh yeah, and what makes stealing so much more socially redeeming than knocking people out/ killing them?

It is a game after all. Hate to see your face when watching a quake3 type death match lol.

stmdk
10th Jun 2004, 16:41
Ummmmm, do you read the newspaper at all? REAL thieves kill people every day.

If I was out to get loot and I wanted it bad enough......killing someone might not be a moral obsticle.

In case you haven't noticed, they put weapons in the game. What are all the weapons for, to look at?

Malackii
10th Jun 2004, 16:48
That is sick You gotta be ****'n me.

While I disagree in principle with shooting your way through a game like Thief, you're a sandwich short of a picnic when you take that kind of offense to killing characters in a game which, by the way, was built to allow both styles of play.

Has it occured to you that knocking folks out with a blackjack in real life is rather dangerous? By all rights, half the NPCs you knock out in the game should be dead or paralyzed.

Perhaps a game like Teletubbies is more up your alley.

JVieira
10th Jun 2004, 16:51
I thought maybe this thread would be a parody on "Pirates of the Caribbean".

"That is the worst Thief I have ever seen in my life"

"You will all remember this as the day that you almost caught Garret!"

I do have to partially agree with the original poster though. I mean, everyone that complained about the change from using a sword, to using a dagger, was clearly someone who wasn't playing Thief 1 and 2 in a stealthy, "thief-like" manner. I never noticed the difference, because I don't use such weapons.

Everheart
10th Jun 2004, 17:20
Everheart:

Your post was totally unacceptable in terms of language and flaming. Read the forum rules before posting again. Any more posts like that one and you will feel the iron claw.

Tricky_Thief
10th Jun 2004, 17:25
FREEtheWEED dont u think that the problem is not in the gamers but in the game?Because if the game called "THIEF" offers the opportunity to act like a mass murder consequently there is something wrong in it......
I partly agree with your opinion but consider the issue from another point of view......It is a "thief business" to sneak behind an unaware opponent and kill him with ur dagger despite the fact that u've just killed him.The core of the question is that u SNEAK....
Garrett will be in big trouble if he enter combat with a guard especially if there isnt enough thiefing experience so he have to find a way to "surprise" the adversary.
And finally,if players would like to play without mass-killing they can select EXPERT difficulty and.....
:) :D

ringo380
10th Jun 2004, 17:37
It's people like this FREEtheWEED guy that make me want to kill people.

Malackii
10th Jun 2004, 17:44
LOL

bravus
10th Jun 2004, 17:45
I think the point here is that this game - and indeed the whole series of games - is fantastic because of its replayability. You can go through and be a slayer if you like - doesn't appeal to me that much, but I'm not going to judge you if it appeals to you. You can go through and kill no-one: hell, I'm expecting the first ghost reports soon (ghost is where no AI even *see* you in a mission). One of the things that make the game highly replayable is the ability to try out different styles.

So, Weed-dude, choose your style and play it, and try not to judge others who make different choices. It'll make your life simpler and less stressful. ;)

John D.
10th Jun 2004, 17:53
You’re all the worst thieves ever. From what I have been reading in these forums is that you're not thieves at all, but you are a bunch of mass murders. There are dozens and dozens of threads here where people are talking about killing everybody in the game, going to the mansion and killing everyone in the House and killing everyone in the town. Your not being thieves your being mass murders. Whoa, hold on for a second. This is just a game, you should play it however you like.
“That is sick”, if you don't have the patience to play the game like a thief then why did you buy it? The idea is to go in and steal valuables without getting caught, that doesn't mean killing everyone so that you don't get caught, it should mean being stealthy so that you're never seen, so no one knows you were even there, not leave a trail of dead bodies behind you. I play in a variety of ways depending on what mood I'm in. I like the blackjack myself, but if I play around with the dagger so what? Honestly though, I think everyone will tell you that it's far easier to just avoid confrontations rather than going nuts in the City, the swordsmen tend to be a little bit better fighters than Garrett is (especially when there is
more than one of them).
There are some people here I think should actually find some kind of mental help, why in the world would you kill the captain's wife? Why would you kill anyone for that matter except maybe the undead which already dead? There are some people on this forum that are complaining because they don't have a sword to kill people with, or they're complaining because the character doesn't have a lot of fighting skills? The idea is to not to fight anyone, you're not supposed to get caught, you're supposed to sneak around, not play this game like a first person shooter. As for the captian's wife, so what if you kill/dont kill? It's just a game! I'm more worried about the nutcases in RL that are out there than some kid that giggles over a few red pixels.
Why would you kill anyone for that matter except maybe the undead which already dead? There are some people on this forum that are complaining because they don't have a sword to kill people with, or they're complaining because the character doesn't have a lot of fighting skills? The idea is to not to fight anyone, you're not supposed to get caught, you're supposed to sneak around, not play this game like a first person shooter. Some of you people lack some very serious gaming skills and the biggest one is something called patience.As I said before, sneaking rather than fighting is the easier way to do it, but if someone wants to shank everyone-let em at it! I've played FPS since 1993 and I find my gaming skills to be just fine (I have both a cloak and trenchcoat! :cool: ) I'm a knockout king myself, but after paying $50 for TDS I'm whoever I want to be in the game. Relax! and BTW dont play Postal 2-you'll have a heart attack!;) :D

Ferett
10th Jun 2004, 19:30
Yes Weed, lets be nice and kind to the peasant as we break into their homes and steal all their valuables. Lets turn Garrett into the proverbial Santa Claus of "The City". Maybe the children can leave milk and cookies for him as he climbs down the chimney to rob the family down to their last meal tickets. Or maybe you can shut the hell up and leave us all alone. Mmkay?

shoppa
10th Jun 2004, 19:43
Sorry. Unacceptable quote. If you think it was funny, please keep it to yourself.

shoppa
10th Jun 2004, 19:46
nt double post

gar_goyle1
10th Jun 2004, 20:15
wow,,,when a flamer lights up, he does it in styyyyyyle!! I cannot believe that someone would get that worked up over anothers gaming style. If i have a bad day at work and wanna blow steam, i prefer to ice some pixels instead of yelling at my family. then again, if i feel the need to yell, i can yell at a tree ;)

freetheweed,,,,quit bringing your blowtorch here and try to type something constructive, not all the bs you seem to spew so well.

if you did this to see what kind of responses you would get, then bravo, well done, take a bow. you succeeded. now try to impart some technical wizardry on us lowly taffers or go away. your choice.

Kokopelli
10th Jun 2004, 20:26
::cough:: Troll ::cough::

u5ndh
10th Jun 2004, 20:30
I see where the guys coing from as i prefer to go around using stealth and trying not to even get spotted let alone have to kill anyone.

However this is only one way of playing the game. The game is all about stealing items and not about doing it stealthly. Thats why it's called Thief and not Stealth.

Who cares if people go around killing all the people. Aslong as they're stealing stuff they're meeting the requirements of the game.

Neil

Nightrider
10th Jun 2004, 20:34
[QUOTE]Originally posted by FREEtheWEED
[B]You’re all the worst thieves ever

And you're ....

saltlick
10th Jun 2004, 21:22
To quote the friend who introduced me to Thief while debating the lack of killing with a FSP fan (this comes from an Expert difficulty level POV)- "Meh, hit them with a sword and kill them, hit them with a blackjack and knock them out, the pixels fall over just the same."

It's a GAME Weed, chill.

I prefer sneakin' and blackjackin' when playing Thief, but I certainly have fun gettin' my frag on when I feel the need. That's why I have Painkiller too. Hell, sometimes I want to conquer the world the old school way, which is why I own Medieval: Total War. And sometimes I just want to couch surf and be entertained, hence the DVD player.

Have fun, let others do the same. It ain't like the mass-murder style players are having any impact on your life. Other than you using their statements as an excuse for you to flame. Hell, I think flamers are way sicker than mass-slaying style players.

eh, whatever.

Corrosion
10th Jun 2004, 21:26
if this game was not intended to be a mass-murderer or just a thief then they would have NO damaging weapons at all. and if you get seen you lose the game period. BUT ITS NOT! SO ITS THIEF 3 MASS-MURDERER IN DEADLY SHADOWS!

BOB_E
10th Jun 2004, 22:30
Before we analyze how other people mass murder in games, lets analyze you :) . Lets have a look at your name..."FREEtheWEED". I think you have been on the pot a little bit too much to have a name like that and critize people for mass murdering in a GAME!!! I guess you havent been responding to all these replys, becasue you have either been told off too much, or you were late for your hippi pot meeting. Besides, when people have a tuff day, they want to cool off. Instead of brutaly murdering their family, they yell at a wall, punch a pillow, or kill people in a GAME...one of those games can be THIEF : DS. As for the widow, she is obviously in much pain about her husband with all the "why dont you get a glass of wine and give me a sip" stuff. So, not that I want too, dont you think it would make sense to free her, and reunite her with her husband? I mean, OK lets steal everything in someones house, which will probably result in them loossing everything in their life they hold dear (family leaves the person because of dept), but lets show some humanitarianism and not kill the poor bastard. Personally, I would rather die then loose everything I hold dear...wouldnt you? No second chances for something like that. It is just a game. Get over it, and lay off the pot.

And also, I beat the game with killing very few people. In fact the pnly people I killed were Lady Elizibeth (I think thats her name) and her goons, becuase I thought you had to kill them. Whenever I want to kill someone I load up a previous game, and kill um all. There is a fine line between doing this in real life and doing it in a GAME.

LongVin
10th Jun 2004, 22:43
lol. you know an assassin can also be considered a thief and vice versa. SO Garrett is an assassin.
Also for killing the captains wife look at her she went insane and you just stole all the stuff that would allow her to buy stuff. So your actually doing her a favor so she doesnt wind up in pavelock:)

clayman
10th Jun 2004, 22:48
Clearly someone intent on inciting riot initiated this post. And every one of you got sucked into the troll vortex. Ignore and it will go away. And obtw, watch your language everyone. :(

Madigan
10th Jun 2004, 22:51
Garrett doesn't kill people...
...I DO!
:D

herechickychicky
10th Jun 2004, 23:35
I think the poster of this thread is sitting back laughing at how many people he or she could get to seriously respond to such a freaking dork post. And the name of the poster is FREEtheWEED on purpose, I am thinking.

shoppa
11th Jun 2004, 02:31
Yeah you all are right.. a total troll.

[JpC]Shadow
11th Jun 2004, 02:43
Omg its just a game people can play it how they like ok? Keep your opinions to yourself. Anyways its fun to mass stab people in the city, then they all run around killing each other.

Like lol I remember that Elizibeth and thugs thing.. I knocked out one of the thugs from behind and hid, so the other thug kills elizibeth.... Now I might have missed something there but is that suppose to happen?

hagatha
11th Jun 2004, 03:45
This post simply illlustrates the very simple point that this game provides far too much equipment and encourages easy solutions like killing where the original idea behind Thief was that no-one should know that you had been there, if you were really skilled at the game. That's what made it so original. And that's what disturbs me about this otherwise very good game.

It's way more fun to sneak. It's way more challenging to sneak. Sneaking requires actual skill, patience, and creativity.

But hey, if you want to blast through this game as though Garrett was Lara Croft, and nuke 'em all, have at 'er, whatever turns you on. It's your game. But if you're playing that way, you aren't playing Thief.

ringo380
11th Jun 2004, 03:48
But if you're playing that way, you aren't playing Thief.

No, you're playing Thief 3.

Hence, the dagger.

hagatha
11th Jun 2004, 03:54
Garrett had a sword in the first two games. But if you were playing Expert, you weren't using that sword for anything but slicing wall hangings. In fact, for a lot of the game, on Expert, you couldn't even use your blackjack, because the idea was that you had to SNEAK. In other words, the Expert level required that you actually had some level of skill at that activity. This game doesn't. So, as I say, if you're playing the kill 'em all method, you aren't playing Thief.

Hopefully the AI patch will improve this.

FleabitFox
11th Jun 2004, 03:59
I agree that is a game.. and people can play it however they like. More power to 'em! :D

I myself try to get out without killing a soul, or even knocking them out. 'Cause I like the premise that I am a master thief.. and that *is* what the game is about. And a messy thief is not a very good one. Get in, get what you came for, get out, no one knew you were there until tomorrow. I love it.

If people want to slaughter everyone, that's fine with me. I love playing it like how I think it was primarly designed to be played however.

And to the person who said "do you want to spend 5 minutes crawling across a hall to avoid a static path blah blah etc..".. yea, I sure do! Read if you are so inclined, books by David Eddings I think. Had Jimmy the Hand and so on. Their thiefs learn to move sooooo slowly.. or not at all, for long periods of time. Very cool. Patience, silence and cleverness are the thiefs best weapons. Yes.. I absolutely adore spending as much time as necessary to avoid being seen.

As far as making it out to be a computer game mechnics (static AI paths), that is no different than anything else in computer games, just a different way of doing it. MMORPGs.. people get to a specific 'zone' to 'aggro' the enemy. Same thing. Dungeon Siege... (which I hated).. you creep forward until you hit a 'zone' and are rushed by X # of enemies. Same thing. Everything is a trigger in a computer game. Just because sneaking doesn't appeal to you, no need to bash it or those that do it. IMO, the game was absolutely designed around sneaking, not killing and stealth before killing everything, and I have plenty O facts backing me up. :p

FleabitFox

herechickychicky
11th Jun 2004, 04:02
Don't kill anyone while playing...the Thief police are watching YOU! :rolleyes:

Peter_Smith
11th Jun 2004, 06:38
OK, folks. Move along. The "fun" is over. Please try to avoid flaming and, above all, watch your language. I do not enjoy spending my time editing posts by those who do not conform to the forum rules.