PDA

View Full Version : LOL. Has anyone tried to play this game with the gamma set low?

Facheeta
10th Jun 2004, 15:36
With the gamma set as its 'default' , dark areas are still barely visable. I mean you cant really play the game if you cant see jack, right?

Well last night I messed with the gamma settings a bit. I basicly lowered it one notch from its 'proper setting'. What it did was make dark areas actually dark- areas where pitch black... or realistic in other words. It made the game.... intersting.

Playing the game like that made me wonder how garrit could see in the dark. I was often bumping into barrels and tables, falling down flights of stairs, knocking things over, makin an idiot of myself. It was so fun I started a new game on expert difficulty with this gamma setting.

Right now Ive sort of put a halt to it because of teh AI bug, but once the patch is released Im going for it. You guys should try it out.

Speesh
10th Jun 2004, 16:03
I have also been playing like that. As for seeing in the dark, I used the mechanical eye. It brightens up the level a bit. The only problem is that you can't run and use the eye at the same time.

Stereophile
10th Jun 2004, 16:05
I have it set 1 below default, I think. 5 ?

Majnun
10th Jun 2004, 16:13
Well I had it set to the lowest possible setting. And it was too bright. But I fiddled with the brightness on my monitor and poof! it's dark like it's sposed to be. Silly me.

Komoto
11th Jun 2004, 16:27
I use a gamma setting of 6 during the day, 5 at night. I play on my hdtv, a samsung dlp, which is very luminous. On 5 at night, the purple haze on the save game screen is almost blinding after the relative darkness of the game itself. At 4, I begin to lose definition in objects, at 3 it's black away from light sources.

Kheldin
12th Jun 2004, 04:43
Am I the only crazy one here? Don't get me wrong I like immersion. But the game on its default settings is just WAY WAY tooo tooo dark. I mean its great and all for realism, but I just can't stand playing a video game that almost always has you looking at a black hole. People complain about FPS, for what? To make the huge black hole your looking at look better??

I had to bump all my Gamma, brightness, contrast settings up, much much higher, to even enjoy this game.. otherwise its just a black hole. I remember the original games being this way too. I mean I like the darkness, but I want to play a video game and see what I'm doing too.

Has anyone else bumped UP their gamma/brightness just to actually see what it is your playing? Even when people post SS's here, I look at the image and say .. "wtf is that? its just a picture of darkness...with a few brown blobs here and there" .. is that really immersion? to me its just irritation...

chris20202
12th Jun 2004, 06:25
Originally posted by Kheldin
Am I the only crazy one here? Don't get me wrong I like immersion. But the game on its default settings is just WAY WAY tooo tooo dark. I mean its great and all for realism, but I just can't stand playing a video game that almost always has you looking at a black hole. People complain about FPS, for what? To make the huge black hole your looking at look better??

I had to bump all my Gamma, brightness, contrast settings up, much much higher, to even enjoy this game.. otherwise its just a black hole. I remember the original games being this way too. I mean I like the darkness, but I want to play a video game and see what I'm doing too.

Has anyone else bumped UP their gamma/brightness just to actually see what it is your playing? Even when people post SS's here, I look at the image and say .. "wtf is that? its just a picture of darkness...with a few brown blobs here and there" .. is that really immersion? to me its just irritation...

Same here. I also frequently look at people's screenshots for this game and just see blackness. But if I turn the brightness on my monitor way up, then I can see them.

So I think it's a matter of how the gamma or brightness on your individual monitor and graphics card are.